Derby Classic from 1991: "There's only one Andy Goram"

Buffalo Bill

Believe it or not kids, that was a song, sang by Hearts fans towards a Hibs player.

March 23rd 1991. Heart of Midlothian 3 Hibernian 1

We weren't that great a team that season. And the game itself counted for little by the season's end.

Yet it remains one of my favourite derby games ever.

Hearts were fantastic that day; pounding Hibs for 90 minutes. To be fair, they probably had the best goalkeeper in Scotland; and that day, the fat cricket player stopped it from being a fat cricket score.

Save after save he made, as a one man wall kept it at 0-0.

But eventually, the human wall collapsed and Hearts scored three goals in ten minutes (and there was even time to let Tortolano get one back).

Goram wasn't done there though; and made two astonishing saves to deny Hearts-fanatic, Scott Crabbe.

Crabbo confessed to the media afterwards that Goram left him "nearly greetin'". And no wonder.

As the game came to a close, The Shed, in an impossibly rare show of appreciation, started there chant; leaving an embarrassed Goram looking to his right in disbelief.

Crabbe was never to score for Hearts against Hibs.

As for me, I was a skinny (and slightly drunk) 17 year old, and in the thick of every Shed sway that the goals brought.

...and that's why i loved that game so much. Those sways, man, those sways.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19910323.html

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

One of my favourite derbies too BB.

In the second half a group of us (including NellyT IIRC) decided to go and stand directly behind Goram's goal so that we could shout abuse at him.

This meant I got an absolutely magnificent view of the two saves from Crabbo. The only word to describe them was 'breathtaking'.

He was absolutely magnificent that day and it remains the only time that I can recall a player other than an ex-Jambo applauded off the park by the Hearts fans.

Believe it or not kids, that was a song, sang by Hearts fans towards a Hibs player.

We weren't that great a team that season. And the game itself counted for little by the season's end.

Hearts were fantastic that day; pounding Hibs for 90 minutes. To be fair, they probably had the best goalkeeper in Scotland; and that day, the fat cricket player stopped it from being a fat cricket score.

all derbys count

But eventually, the human wall collapsed and Hearts scored three goals in ten minutes (and there was even time to let Tortolano get one back).

Goram wasn't done there though; and made two astonishing saves to deny Hearts-fanatic, Scott Crabbe.

Crabbo confessed to the media afterwards that Goram left him "nearly greetin'". And no wonder.

As the game came to a close, The Shed, in an impossibly rare show of appreciation, started there chant; leaving an embarrassed Goram looking to his right in disbelief.

As for me, I was a skinny (and slightly drunk) 17 year old, and in the thick of every Shed sway that the goals brought.

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

all derbys count

Was in the school end that day,Bill.He was getting applause and "one A.Goram" chants right across the whole end.I remember he kept turning round as if "are they taking the p*ss?" He soon realized how genuine it was.A fantastic display.

However,BIG Makalambey(sp)is in goals tomorrow.:rolleyes:

portobellojambo1

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

Remember it well Andy. The look on his face as the Shed started singing his name was something you had to see to believe. He was absolutely brilliant that day, if he had failed to perform as he did we could have won that game by the proverbial "cricket score", and Crabbe himself could have bagged 3 or 4 easily.

Commander Harris

Brilliant post BB, it's got me all nostalgic and emotional. :)

was at that game with my big brother, I must have been about 9 at the time. one of my first without my old man and my first edinburgh derby. Happy memories. :)

all derbys count

Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy, Horse.

What I meant was, the points counted for little in terms of qualifying for Europe.

Buffalo Bill

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

I think we went over this not long ago(not having a go btw) and like you, i remember it very well BB.

We have hammered them quite a few times over the last 20 years or so. We have been up 3-0 at half time a few times then eased off to maybe grab another one.

But that day, we undoubtedly witnessed a goalie who stopped Hibs from getting a right royal humping. We were relentless as JC tore them apart.

----------------------

a leetle lemon tweest

The greatest goalkeeping performance I've seen in the flesh. With the save from Crabbe's volley being one of the best I've seen, unbelievable.

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

I was a ball-boy in front of the shed that day.... No fence to stop me from going and throttling the bugger!... Mibbie should have done so. :)

Seriously though, will hopefully never see a Hibby keeper put on a display like that ever again.

The Old Tolbooth

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

You need to stop these posts BB, your getting me all worked up and excited (in a non gay way of course :wacko:) and now I wont sleep tonight! :help:

siegementality

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

I preferred the chant of

Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams, when it was revealed he was suffering from schizophrenia.

footnote: I'm not making fun of schizophrenia folks, just of fat ex hibby bassas who suffer from it.

You need to stop these posts BB, your getting me all worked up and excited (in a non gay way of course :wacko:) and now I wont sleep tonight! :help:

Even if you were gay, John, no-one is judging you here! :dribble:

Buffalo Bill

Commander Harris
I preferred the chant of

Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams, when it was revealed he was suffering from schizophrenia.

footnote: I'm not making fun of schizophrenia folks, just of fat ex hibby bassas who suffer from it.

I know you're not making fun and this isn't directed at you at all but I always feel the need to correct this misconception.

Schizophrenia is not having two distinct personalities as is often commonly thought - that would be Multiple Personality Disorder, now Dissociative Identity Disorder(DID). Schizophrenia is a disorder characterised by psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations and is not related to MPD/DID in any way.

sorry :mw_offtopic: but I can't help myself :)

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

The sways.....man, talk about the hairs standing up on the back of your neck

Thats it, I'm going to look out the old VHS video of 21 in a row and its going on the night along with a few beers

I know you're not making fun and this isn't directed at you at all but I always feel the need to correct this misconception.

Schizophrenia is not having two distinct personalities as is often commonly thought - that would be Multiple Personality Disorder, now Dissociative Identity Disorder(DID). Schizophrenia is a disorder characterised by psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations and is not related to MPD/DID in any way.

I agree with that.

And so do I.

Buffalo Bill

portobellojambo1

I am sure your other half will be taking this on board.

She spends half an hour talking dirty to Mr Mitchell, and nothing happens, but at soon as she mentions "Andy Driver skips past the Hibs full back crosses into the box, Velicka meets it at the far post and his volley rockets past the Hibernian keeper" Mr Mitchell springs to life.

Obviously all these women that bought their men copies of the Kama Sutra and Razzle to try and excite them were way off target, they should have been buying them box loads of football programmes.

;) - :) - :rolleyes:

Bring it on tomorrow.

Buffalo Bill

It's all true.

I had forgotten about it. This post brings back great memories.

As everyone else says, the save from Crabbo when he ran accross the goal to block the shot was incredible.

He was some Goalie. Even a rabid supporter like I am, you have to acknowledge Gorams class -even if he was a Hubz pig.

Obviously all these women that bought their men copies of the Kama Sutra and Razzle to try and excite them were way off target, they should have been buying them box loads of football programmes.

Maybe I could pop round to their house and read them the half time scores out?

Buffalo Bill

Maybe im looking at that line up through nostalgia tinted specs, but its not a bad looking starting XI

Walker

Wright, Sandison, Levein, McPherson, McKinlay

Colquhoun, Ferguson, Bannon

Crabbe, Robbo

That would take a few goals off the current team!

Fantastic memories mate. Was 13 at the time.

Most of the hibs games I went to as a kid, we won. I saw them as insignificant back then.

Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy, Horse.

What I meant was, the points counted for little in terms of qualifying for Europe.

Buffalo Bill

same tomorrow then BB

Of course when Goram had been reported in the press, years later, of suffering from mild schizophrenia - the Celtic support belted out the other version......

"There's ony 2 Andy Gorams

2 Andy Gorams

..............."

yeah remember it well....goram yir a swine - should have been a hammering

BUT even in those days of "derby nonsense" let us say, the hearts fans gave him true respect;)

The Old Tolbooth
I am sure your other half will be taking this on board.

She spends half an hour talking dirty to Mr Mitchell, and nothing happens, but at soon as she mentions "Andy Driver skips past the Hibs full back crosses into the box, Velicka meets it at the far post and his volley rockets past the Hibernian keeper" Mr Mitchell springs to life.

You know me so well Iain :cheese:

The Old Tolbooth
Even if you were gay, John, no-one is judging you here! :dribble:

Buffalo Bill

I honestly thought you were gonna come back with, if I was gay, you'd be safe!

That game is the only time I have been in the Hibs end at a derby !!

I was 15 and had been playing in a match myself which finished at about half 3 up at Patties Road. I got dropped off at Chesser and ran all the way along Gorgie Road with the hope of getting into the ground. Once along at Tynie I realised that some of the Vermin were already leaving the ground and that the gates were open so I just nipped in the Gorgie Road end and worked my way down to the front.

The problem (which I hadn't really given much thought in my haste) was when George Wright (I think) smashed in the 3rd and I jumped up in the air. A couple of people shouted at me but I just sneaked off into the crowd !!

siegementality

You've fecking spoilt it now.

I think the scoring went something like this:

Levien 61mns?

Wright one min later. Bedlam.

Tortolano; two mins after Wright

and of course, wee Robbo, around 70 mins.

Buffalo Bill

Billy Bigtime
I agree with that.

And so do I.

Buffalo Bill

I was going to agree, but I'm in two minds!

BB, I genuinly believed that we could score more than 7 that day, we were brilliant!

Unfortunately, so was Goram.

They had a ****ty support that day. Was that not the season they voted along with the other wee teams to save their own neck from relegation. By voting for a 12 team league the next season????

I seem to remember Goram turning round at the end of the game and applauding the shed.....(although that memory might be ab it diluted, i was 20 at the time and would have got hammered that night;))

Only time in 45 years I have heard an opposition players being cheered!

We should have scored double figures that day, and would have if it had not ben for Goram.

However, he was Fuming after the end of the game, and I remember thinking what a disrespectful git, he gets he highest plaudits from the opposition fans, and failed to acknowledge it in the slightest.

Lets hope the hibs goalie today, plays more like a hibs goalie.........

Interestingly, I had a fight with my big brother after that game which involved us rolling around the living room and in front of our mum.

I seem to recall a cheap, Bukta replica shirt getting ripped from neck to nuts, right down the middle.

What a b'stard!

Buffalo Bill

Other than a hat-trick for the reserves which he has the ball duly signed by Mr McKay which he wrote "To The Man Who Fecked The Hibs"

BangkokHearts

I shall gladly remind Goram of that game when I see him in Bangkok next week.

My first derby.

I remember going round to a mates house the next day and his Dad (a diehard Jambo) asking if I'd been impressed by Goram.

'He was alright, we still hammered them'.

No respect for the reptiles, even back then :D

Archived