Falkirk 6 Hearts 0

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

After the LC draw I was discussing the game at Brockville when a clique of Hearts players decided to lie down to Falkirk because they were not happy with Joe Jordan.

There are several versions of events

But I personally believe it is NEVER acceptable to lie down and the players involved were a disgrace to the jersey

Drylaw Hearts

After the LC draw I was discussing the game at Brockville when a clique of Hearts players decided to lie down to Falkirk because they were not happy with Joe Jordan.

But I personally believe it is NEVER acceptable to lie down and the players involved were a disgrace to the jersey

I never believed they did purposely go out to get beat.

The Treasurer

I was at that game and it certainly looked like the players chucked it big time that day, they should have lost by more!

I don't know if you could say that they "chucked it" as such.

It looked more to me that they were making no effort at all to win the game, which is different but equally unacceptable.

Why don't you name them then?

Colonel Kurtz

I don't know if you could say that they "chucked it" as such.

It looked more to me that they were making no effort at all to win the game, which is different but equally unacceptable.

At the time you couldnt place single bets on football matches,but I wonder if Falkirkwere included in trebles with 2 money on home bankers.

Edited by Colonel Kurtz

Remember the game well cos a load of us decided to take corporate hospitality that day.

To get humped by that score sitting in the main stand with Falkirk fans was sobering to say the least. It was dead funny cos old Brockville was a pit and the "hospitality" lounge was like someones living room. It even had one of these paper borders around it like you would do in yer lounge. When the door to said lounge was opened you could smell liniment and the two doors facing said "away changing room" and "Referees Changing room" what a pit but well looked after even though they had no draught beer either it was cans.

After the game we were in shock but still went back in and were looked after by Crawford Baptie who ran it at the time. After a while maybe 45mins Alex Totten came breenging in and made a bee line for big Baptie. He had clearly had a few nips shaking CBs hand warmly and Sayin" what about the black boy, what about the black boy" talking about samuels (I think) who scored three. We were creasin ourselves. Not quite PC (or maybe not)

I have never heard that allegations before and if true its a shocker. We filled our end and had a great support so for a professional player to even contemplate doing that when people have paid good money is sickening, sincerely hope it isnt true

Remember the game well cos a load of us decided to take corporate hospitality that day.

To get humped by that score sitting in the main stand with Falkirk fans was sobering to say the least. It was dead funny cos old Brockville was a pit and the "hospitality" lounge was like someones living room. It even had one of these paper borders around it like you would do in yer lounge. When the door to said lounge was opened you could smell liniment and the two doors facing said "away changing room" and "Referees Changing room" what a pit but well looked after even though they had no draught beer either it was cans.

After the game we were in shock but still went back in and were looked after by Crawford Baptie who ran it at the time. After a while maybe 45mins Alex Totten came breenging in and made a bee line for big Baptie. He had clearly had a few nips shaking CBs hand warmly and Sayin" what about the black boy, what about the black boy" talking about samuels (I think) who scored three. We were creasin ourselves. Not quite PC (or maybe not)

I have never heard that allegations before and if true its a shocker. We filled our end and had a great support so for a professional player to even contemplate doing that when people have paid good money is sickening, sincerely hope it isnt true

You're getting two different games mixed up. Samuel would've been about twelve years old when the Hearts players disgraced the jersey. Personally, becasue it was a meaningless game, I headed off to Fir Park with a car load from the Pans Club and saw the reserves clinch their title.

Colonel Kurtz

You're getting two different games mixed up. Samuel would've been about twelve years old when the Hearts players disgraced the jersey. Personally, becasue it was a meaningless game, I headed off to Fir Park with a car load from the Pans Club and saw the reserves clinch their title.

The rumour at the time was that some players werent trying and more joined at half time after a bust up with Jordan and Connor.

You couldnt imagine old players like John Cumming or,Dave mackayentertaining such actions.

Colonel Kurtz

Was that not the game where a young David Weir played a binder! at CH

He scored the first goal I think.

The last 2 goals were in particular "questionable"

Colonel Kurtz

I think he is thinking of the 4-0 Scottish Cup defeat - we were ripped apart that day by Samuels speed.

And Lee Millers height

It was 1st May 1993 and Richard Cadette was the black guy. He scored once. Say what you will, this remains a black day in the history of HMFC and no matter what slant you put on it (chucked it, never tried, had an off day etc) the team disgraced the jerseys. Sad, because there are a lot of Hearts heroes in there in an immensely talented team.

Details of the match... http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199305011.html

Edited by Shaggy2

you are right I believe.

Yes it was cup tie and it was 4-0 I am indeed in my old age getting games mixed up. Thought it was Samuel that day.

Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

The rumour at the time was that some players werent trying and more joined at half time after a bust up with Jordan and Connor.

You couldnt imagine old players like John Cumming or,Dave mackayentertaining such actions.

Looking like assumption on your part then? You should really name these players that you're accusing of doing such a terrible thing or are you happy just to throw it out there behind the anonymity of an internet user name?

I'm too young to remember the game but I detest all of this rumour & innuendo being aimed at people who cabn't defend themselves.

Was at the game and would not be surprised at all. Players do it all the time these days if they don't like the manager. I think West Am are doing it just now cos they don't care for Baron Greenback as a manager. It's a total disgrace but we have to face up to the fact that we all care a shitload more than 99% of the players. We were generally honking under Jordan mind.

Drylaw Hearts

He scored the first goal I think.

The last 2 goals were in particular "questionable"

Well if you're going to throw a match the 5th and 6th goals are the ones that really do the most damage.

:rolleyes:

Gary Mackay suggested there was truth in that in his autobiography.

wait a minute,you were ab;e to read Gary MacKays book? i gave it a bash but it is like trying to comprehend the jumbled ramblings of a drunk man with alzeihmers. worste autobiography i have ver attempted tor read,which is a shame

Taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture now -

Not sure where we were in the League but I think most folk agreed that big Joe just didn't have a clue!

Was it maybe better FOR US that the players disgraced the jersey for one game ( or in truth did they? )

.........to get the desired outcome - JJs :o sacking !

Needless to say I don't hold with players acting like wage thieves etc, but I suspect their behaviour

was born of a common frustration with the manager and his ways?

Mind you, who did we get after that ?

I recall the rumours from Jordan's time in charge that he refused to let the squad go to the funeral for Derek Ferguson's bairn and that was what led to the players having a major umbrage with him.

Can't say whether they 'chucked it' at Falkirk but if you don't believe/respect your manager then your performance/effort may well go down.

Pity really as I don't think Jordan's 2nd place achievement really gets any praise when we look back at decent spells in our history - perhaps his old-school Italian methodology of well-coached plays and becoming ultra-defensive once ahead was at odds with the Scottish game.

Colonel Kurtz

Taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture now -

Not sure where we were in the League but I think most folk agreed that big Joe just didn't have a clue!

Was it maybe better FOR US that the players disgraced the jersey for one game ( or in truth did they? )

.........to get the desired outcome - JJs :o sacking !

Needless to say I don't hold with players acting like wage thieves etc, but I suspect their behaviour

was born of a common frustration with the manager and his ways?

Mind you, who did we get after that ?

WE were challenging for europe.

Jordan had us second in the league at Christmas one season and wanted to make a signing ...I wish we had.

Jordan and Connor were hard men who took no shit from players and would drop them and play them where he wanted ,not where they wanted.

He was not a popular manager...but it wasnt a popularity contest.

The goals from the Falkirk game are on youtube have a look for yourself

I'm sure there is a hearts video, possible back from the brink, where wallace mercer described it as 'as clear a sign of player power as you will see'

Charlie-Brown

Falkirk were anchored at the bottom of the league miles behind 2nd bottom, we were pushing for a uefa cup slot albeit it had been a Csaba'esque mind numbing season, Jordan was unpopular with many of the long serving senior players, and very unpopular with the young players whom he simply wouldn't play - it was only his own signings Mauchlen, Snodin etc that would have any loyalty to him. We got gubbed with the shock result of the season and Jordan was binned by Monday afternoon.

this is terrible.i remember that day well sadly..the most horrible walk back to the train station ever..mind you the only 1 that can top it is the 6-2 at beaster rd on a raw cold sunday night and i stayed right to the end in the hope we would put it right..the only enjoyment that night was the cabbage and ribs getting done over during the game by hearts punters...a truely horrible couple of games..

A player from that day (who insisted this remark be off the record so I will not reveal his identity in respect of his request) a few years back said that they did not try as they should have in that game due to their dislike of Jordan. It would appear that they were given encouragement by someone higher up the Tynecastle hierarchy to do so.

Given that Jordan was nearing the end of a three-year contract, wouldn't it have been more prudent (and less shameful) to have waited the season out (which had a few weeks to run anyway) and then have Mercer tell him in the summer of 93, "Joe, thanks for your efforts here but we've decided to go in a new direction and we won't be offering you a new contract"?

wait a minute,you were ab;e to read Gary MacKays book? i gave it a bash but it is like trying to comprehend the jumbled ramblings of a drunk man with alzeihmers. worste autobiography i have ver attempted tor read,which is a shame

now there's an ironic post.

I was at Brockville that day. I've never doubted the players were giving a lot less than 100% that day.

Falkirk were anchored at the bottom of the league miles behind 2nd bottom, we were pushing for a uefa cup slot albeit it had been a Csaba'esque mind numbing season, Jordan was unpopular with many of the long serving senior players, and very unpopular with the young players whom he simply wouldn't play - it was only his own signings Mauchlen, Snodin etc that would have any loyalty to him. We got gubbed with the shock result of the season and Jordan was binned by Monday afternoon.

Jordan was unpopular with the fans by that point as well. I remember a massive round of Jordan, Jordan GTF at Fir park on the wednesday night before, when we went 2-0 down.

I think I remember Jordan asking Gaeme Hogg (sub) to get stripped that day in the last 10 mins or there about.

Hogg told him to ###### off!

:lol:

I remember the day well. Was stopped by the police on the way to the game for lack of a tax disc - it had fallen off the windscreen. Picking it up off the floor I then realised it was also out of date :blink:

Anyway, the game was a howler as all have said. We did however have chances to score early doors - might have been different if that had happened. At the time, I was working with Big Frank's brother-in-law. Seemed to be a personality thing, but Jordan got us second in the league and a cup semi that we oh-so-nearly won at darkheid if memory serves me right. I always thought he got the results with little reward, so he must've been a right runt with the players!

Victor Meldrew

I think I remember Jordan asking Gaeme Hogg (sub) to get stripped that day in the last 10 mins or there about.

Hogg told him to ###### off!

That's absolutely true - I heard that from my Dad who was on the board at the time.

I didn't go to that game but a mate of mine who is a well-known poster on here.. psssst!.. (millerjambo60) got a lift through by a boy from his work who happened to be a Falkirk fan, he was in the main stand sitting amongst the Falkirk fans but as the goals kept going in, he was finding it tough to keep his gob shut then eventually snapped, started shouting, screaming and shouting at the Hearts players which the Falkirk fans found hysterical, them stared shouting about being a Jambo etc.... sorry Doug if your reading this!!

The story about Hogg is 100% on the nail. I was friendly with Hogg at the time and we were out the the better half's on the saturday night.He was LIVID.Him & Jordan came to blows in the dug out with Frank Connnor separating them!Imagine putting on a centre half at 5-0 down . :rolleyes:

As did't I and many others from Glasgow Hearts.

Was this the game Wallace invited Neil Kinnock to or was that the cup game, mind the shot of the two of them side by side in the stand

I don't remember Neil Kinnock attending a game but I do remember John Colquhoun meeting him during 85/86.

John Major, as Prime Minister visited Mercer at Tynecastle around 1993, but not for a match.

Was this the game Wallace invited Neil Kinnock to or was that the cup game, mind the shot of the two of them side by side in the stand

that was a cup tie at Brockville in january 1988, Hearts won 3-1

Jordan had us second in the league at Christmas one season and wanted to make a signing ...I wish we had.

Jordan and Connor were hard men who took no shit from players and would drop them and play them where he wanted ,not where they wanted.

I have no problems with a manager running a tight ship............provided we play some good stuff and win games. However I honestly cant recall being too fussed when he got the boot, so 2nd place or not he obviously wasn't making the earth move

for me?

Remember this well...I was on leave from the Balkans. Stayed for all 6 goals...what a gubbing! I remember pleading with my mates to stay when Falkirk made it 3 at the start of the 2nd half, convinced there would be another 3 goals in the game....I meant for Hearts...couldn't have been more wrong.

Also that week...Scotland lost 5 - 0 V Portugal, and Ally McCoist broke his leg....Not a very good R 'n' R for me!!

We were top actually, ahead of a very good Rangers side, who strung something daft like 23 wins a row from January to win the title. Two games that cost us that season:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201011.html A 1:1 draw with Hibs at Tynecastle on New Years day

and..

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201111.html A 0-4 horsing from Aberdeen at Tynecastle, which knocked us off the top of league and burst our bubble well and truly.

Drylaw Hearts

We were top actually, ahead of a very good Rangers side, who strung something daft like 23 wins a row from January to win the title. Two games that cost us that season:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201011.html A 1:1 draw with Hibs at Tynecastle on New Years day

and..

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199201111.html A 0-4 horsing from Aberdeen at Tynecastle, which knocked us off the top of league and burst our bubble well and truly.

For the week prior to the Aberdeen match Jordan was in Milan observing their training methods etc.

What a waste of time that was.

Charlie-Brown

Jordan was the Csaba of his day and Csaba was the Jordan of recent times, both played ultra defensive football that was relatively successful for a limited period, then stopped being successful, was mind-numbing to watch, their signings were less than inspired, they fell out with the club owners, they left and nobody was that fussed about it.

For the week prior to the Aberdeen match Jordan was in Milan observing their training methods etc.

What a waste of time that was.

I remember the Aberdeen match - some scarves ended up on the pitch in front of the shed. I was just shell-shocked, didn't see that result coming at all.