The Damp Squib Thread

Guest jambomickey

Have we got an alternative lined up at all ? Because we sure as hell need one. A little bit concerning if all the eggs are STILL in the Bryson basket, having been told at least twice by Kilmarnock that it was no deal.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tin hat on, but I'd be disappointed to lose Black from the squad. Saying that, we're crying out for a midfielder with an eye for a forward pass and who isn't scared to get beyond our forward players.

In an ideal world I'd rather Rubens was sacrificed, leaving us with Jonsson, Mroweic (sp), Stevenson, Black and of course, fingers crossed, Bryson vying for the central midfield slots.

Tin hat on, but I'd be disappointed to lose Black from the squad. Saying that, we're crying out for a midfielder with an eye for a forward pass and who isn't scared to get beyond our forward players.

In an ideal world I'd rather Rubens was sacrificed, leaving us with Jonsson, Mroweic (sp), Stevenson, Black and of course, fingers crossed, Bryson vying for the central midfield slots.

I like the idea of playing Rubens at full back and pushing Wallace into midfield. It might have some merit and be worth a try if we end up not getting someone.

Black & Mrowiec, arent good enough and so far neither is Stevenson(although he has to get a few more goes before that is rubber stamped IMO)

Wallace Jonsson and Bryson to chose from, with Robinson and McGowan as back up would make things look a whole lot better IMO.

I don't think we will go back with any improved offer, it will be a take it or leave it offer thats on the table to Killie, if they 'leave it' we will go for him in Jan at even more reduced rates.

I don't think we will go back with any improved offer, it will be a take it or leave it offer thats on the table to Killie, if they 'leave it' we will go for him in Jan at even more reduced rates.

He's got 3 seasons left on his contract so I doubt they'll accept less then either.

He's got 3 seasons left on his contract so I doubt they'll accept less then either.

As we seem to be the only club in for him, maybe his head will go down, form will drop off etc etc.

Killie as far as we know, need money and right now as far as we know we are the only team showing any interest in any of their players..............................come Jan if they have had a poor start i cant see too many clubs looking to splash the dosh their way.

TBH i couldn't give a hoot if we sign Bryson......if we do great but i hope its not for a lot of money, if not i hope we have another AM lined up as this team right now is in need of 2, not one AM.

As we seem to be the only club in for him, maybe his head will go down, form will drop off etc etc.

Killie as far as we know, need money and right now as far as we know we are the only team showing any interest in any of their players..............................come Jan if they have had a poor start i cant see too many clubs looking to splash the dosh their way.

TBH i couldn't give a hoot if we sign Bryson......if we do great but i hope its not for a lot of money, if not i hope we have another AM lined up as this team right now is in need of 2, not one AM.

How do you know we're the only team in for him?

This could well be a nonsense. The football press seem to have little idea of what's happening with regards to signings these days.

We also have no idea if Killie do need to sell any players. They obviously are in debt but they may have the debt underwritten by the owner in the same way that we do.

The Mighty Thor

how do you know he hasn't been looking at other options?

I'd have a stab at the fact that it's 7pm on 30th August and we still haven't signed the midfielder we're crying out for. That suggests to me it's Bryson or bust or we'd have called Killie's bluff and signed the other option and not had a substandard midfield for the first 3 games of the season costing us 4 points.

Just a wild guess mind you.

I'd have a stab at the fact that it's 7pm on 30th August and we still haven't signed the midfielder we're crying out for. That suggests to me it's Bryson or bust or we'd have called Killie's bluff and signed the other option and not had a substandard midfield for the first 3 games of the season costing us 4 points.

Just a wild guess mind you.

reasonable logic. I suppose we'll find out if it's been worth waiting or not tomorrow.

How do you know we're the only team in for him?

This could well be a nonsense. The football press seem to have little idea of what's happening with regards to signings these days.

We also have no idea if Killie do need to sell any players. They obviously are in debt but they may have the debt underwritten by the owner in the same way that we do.

I never said we are the only team in for him, i said we seem to be.

Same with the money side, i said as far as we know(by what the press have told us) Killie need money, i never said it was fact.

I never said we are the only team in for him, i said we seem to be.

Same with the money side, i said as far as we know(by what the press have told us) Killie need money, i never said it was fact.

Yes, I got that.

I wouldn't go counting on the Scottish football press as a basis for my opinions. That was the point I was making.

They get very little correct these days. They may as well admit they just make things up as they go along.

I like the idea of playing Rubens at full back and pushing Wallace into midfield. It might have some merit and be worth a try if we end up not getting someone.

Black & Mrowiec, arent good enough and so far neither is Stevenson(although he has to get a few more goes before that is rubber stamped IMO)

Wallace Jonsson and Bryson to chose from, with Robinson and McGowan as back up would make things look a whole lot better IMO.

Completely agree with your last paragraph OAG.

It was actually my bro who highlighted why Rubens struggles in a Jeffries team - it's beacause he wants to constantly slow the game down. I really don't think we'd have got at Dundee United the way we did in the first half if Rubens was in the team in any position. Up and at 'em ain't his style.

his agent(kevin drinkell) asked killie what would be an acceptable fee to killie to sell, drinkell then came back to hearts with that information, fedatovis then agreed with drinkell that woul we meet that fee, drinkell went back to michael johnson informing him he had a club willing to pay the said fee that was agreeable to johnson but when he was told the club was hearts he said no! apparently johnson is refusing to sell to jefferies.

Methinks your source is pullin yir chain :ermm:

Would love him to sign, but hopefully one or two would be heading out the door aswell. We don't want another overgrown squad.

Would love him to sign, but hopefully one or two would be heading out the door aswell. We don't want another overgrown squad.

Here's hoping, not many players could be described as a major loss if they were sold/moved on imo.

Colonel Kurtz

I think he will sign tomorrow,and we reduce oor squad.

Mixu has convinced the chairman that he would improve their squad with the dough..Killie trying to sign a couple of of players tomorrow

Here's hoping, not many players could be described as a major loss if they were sold/moved on imo.

completely wrong. our squad isn't so large now and without replacements we can't afford to lose more

Completely agree with your last paragraph OAG.

It was actually my bro who highlighted why Rubens struggles in a Jeffries team - it's beacause he wants to constantly slow the game down. I really don't think we'd have got at Dundee United the way we did in the first half if Rubens was in the team in any position. Up and at 'em ain't his style.

Rubens is actually awright (no more than that) when your under pressure. He's got a bit more brain than the others and although he's not a tough tackler he can read the game enough to get by on. The problem is he gives the square root of feck all when we're looking to go forward and he'd be no where near as good as Wallace in an attacking sense at left back, but might be okay in a defensive sense. Wallace on the other hand, would be brilliant as an energetic attacking midfielder. ( although he's maybe a tad one footed to reach the heights of greatness that Hartley or Cameron reached)

completely wrong. our squad isn't so large now and without replacements we can't afford to lose more

We've got over 60 pro's on the books and no reserve league. Our playing staff is WAY too big for a club with our income and we could do with shedding at least 15 players from it. Unfortunately we've handed out 5 year contracts like lavvy paper and we're stuck with a whole generation of players who will never kick a ball in anger for us.

The Comedian

Wallace on the other hand, would be brilliant as an energetic attacking midfielder. ( although he's maybe a tad one footed to reach the heights of greatness that Hartley or Cameron reached)

Templeton is my solution to the attacking midfielder position problem once Driver is back.

We've got over 60 pro's on the books and no reserve league. Our playing staff is WAY too big for a club with our income and we could do with shedding at least 15 players from it. Unfortunately we've handed out 5 year contracts like lavvy paper and we're stuck with a whole generation of players who will never kick a ball in anger for us.

as far as the first team squad is concerned we could maybe lose a keeper and a holding midfielder and that's about all. apart from kucharski.

with zal possibly gone and playing one striker from the start on the last 4 games it is clear to me we can't lose many more.

Templeton is my solution to the attacking midfielder position problem once Driver is back.

why not give Robinson a go in his favourite postion !

as far as the first team squad is concerned we could maybe lose a keeper and a holding midfielder and that's about all. apart from kucharski.

with zal possibly gone and playing one striker from the start on the last 4 games it is clear to me we can't lose many more.

Drylaw Hearts

I agree.

But tbf to Hearts on this they didn't know the SPL was going to ditch the Reserve League when some of the deals were being handed out.

I looked at our squad list the other day and we've got around 28 players of who can be considered part of the first team squad. Then we've got another 5 or 6 out on loan.

With the EPL capping squads at a maximum of 25 this makes our squad size even more ridiculous.

I agree.

But tbf to Hearts on this they didn't know the SPL was going to ditch the Reserve League when some of the deals were being handed out.

I looked at our squad list the other day and we've got around 28 players of who can be considered part of the

first team squad. Then we've got another 5 or 6 out on loan.

With the EPL capping squads at a maximum of 25 this makes our squad size even more ridiculous.

the epl hasn't capped squads at 25 so either read there new rule again or post the entire ruling rather than the bit that suits your viewpoint

Ryan Gosling

I agree.

I looked at our squad list the other day and we've got around 28 players of who can be considered part of the first team squad. Then we've got another 5 or 6 out on loan.

I think we'll see at least 4 players go tomorrow (or loan or permanent) and 1 come in.

Drylaw Hearts

the epl hasn't capped squads at 25 so either read there new rule again or post the entire ruling rather than the bit that suits your viewpoint

I actually haven't read the new ruling I just recall Craig Bellamy saying he wasn't being included the 25 man squad Man City have to declare to the Premiership on August 31st.

So...what is the new ruling then ?

I think we'll see at least 4 players go tomorrow (or loan or permanent) and 1 come in.

Have you heard anything about this, KA?

I actually haven't read the new ruling I just recall Craig Bellamy saying he wasn't being included the 25 man squad Man City have to declare to the Premiership on August 31st.

So...what is the new ruling then ?

I might have to eat humble pie here dh. I was under the impression that they could have as many additional players under a certain age as they liked bit someone has just told me that may not be the case . sorry for jumping down your throat.

Drylaw Hearts

I might have to eat humble pie here dh. I was under the impression that they could have as many additional players under a certain age as they liked bit someone has just told me that may not be the case . sorry for jumping down your throat.

Apology accepted.

A bit more on the ruling :

As of the 2010?11 season, the Premier League introduced new rules mandating that each club must register a maximum 25-man squad of players aged over 21, with the squad list only allowed to be changed in transfer windows or in exceptional circumstances.[80][81] This was to enable the 'Home Grown' rule to be enacted, whereby the League would also from 2010 require at least 8 of the named 25 man squad to be made up of 'Home Grown Players', defined as a player who irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)[80]

My problem with it is we've got seemingly quite a few players ( dont ask me to list them) who are too old for the 19's or very nearly too old who seem to have no immediate hope of getting into our first team. A first team filled with average to dross by the way. Our first team signing policy seems to be completely at odds with our youth policy and has been for at least two years and probably longer. We need to decide where we're going with this. We're either signing ready made journeymen or we're promoting youth players. The fact that we havent settled on either policy is the reason we have over 60 pros, an absolute maximum of 40 of those who even get a meaningful game once a week.. Thats a shocking waste of resources to me. i could probably name 15 players on our books you could get rid of tomorrow and have no impact whatsoever on either the 19's or the first team

Drylaw Hearts

Park and Mulrooney and possibly Glen and Black.

Kucharski will hopefully go also.

Apology accepted.

A bit more on the ruling :

I was right then 25 players over the age of 21. in your list of 28 for hearts how many (roughly) were under 21?

Drylaw Hearts

I was right then 25 players over the age of 21. in your list of 28 for hearts how many (roughly) were under 21?

I counted :

Craig Thomson

Novikovas

Gary Glen

Scott Robinson

Paul Mulrooney

My problem with it is we've got seemingly quite a few players ( dont ask me to list them) who are too old for the 19's or very nearly too old who seem to have no immediate hope of getting into our first team. A first team filled with average to dross by the way. Our first team signing policy seems to be completely at odds with our youth policy and has been for at least two years and probably longer. We need to decide where we're going with this. We're either signing ready made journeymen or we're promoting youth players. The fact that we havent settled on either policy is the reason we have over 60 pros, an absolute maximum of 40 of those who even get a meaningful game once a week.. Thats a shocking waste of resources to me. i could probably name 15 players on our books you could get rid of tomorrow and have no impact whatsoever on either the 19's or the first team

To add to our woes I got the distinct impression from JJ at the Youth Development PoY that some (most) of the youngsters are miles off being ready for, or ever being good enough for 1st team football.

Hopefully this is due to there being no reserve football to judge whether players can step up rather than a dearth of talent.

My problem with it is we've got seemingly quite a few players ( dont ask me to list them) who are too old for the 19's or very nearly too old who seem to have no immediate hope of getting into our first team. A first team filled with average to dross by the way. Our first team signing policy seems to be completely at odds with our youth policy and has been for at least two years and probably longer. We need to decide where we're going with this. We're either

signing ready made journeymen or we're promoting youth players. The fact that we havent settled on either policy is the reason we have over 60 pros, an absolute maximum of 40 of those who even get a meaningful game once a week.. Thats a shocking waste of resources to me. i could probably name 15 players on our books you could get rid of tomorrow and have no impact whatsoever on either the 19's or the first team

that may all be true and if so something should be done. my knowledge of players outwith the first team squad is minimal.

what I do know is that unless several players step up from the youths we will need the vast majority ofbour first team squad at some point this season.

Drylaw Hearts

To add to our woes I got the distinct impression from JJ at the Youth Development PoY that some (most) of the youngsters are miles off being ready for, or ever being good enough for 1st team football.

Hopefully this is due to there being no reserve football to judge whether players can step up rather than a dearth of talent.

Having seen the highlights of the first 2 U19 matches this season I doubt this is the case.

The St Mirren match in particular had 5 of the best goals I've seen Hearts score at any level in one match. There was a few crackers in the Kille match also.

Drylaw Hearts

Jason and temps as well?

Jason Thompson ?

He's 23.

Temps will be 22 in January so I didn't count him.

Ryan Gosling

Jason Thompson ?

He's 23.

Temps would count under the ruling. 21 on the day the window closes.

jamboinglasgow

Park and Mulrooney and possibly Glen and Black.

Kucharski will hopefully go also.

is that something you know or just a prediction?

I was interested to read that, at the end of their game on Saturday, Bryson made a special effort to applaud the Killie fans. The paper I was reading seemed adamant that he was out the door.

that may all be true and if so something should be done. my knowledge of players outwith the first team squad is minimal.

what I do know is that unless several players step up from the youths we will need the vast majority ofbour first team squad at some point this season.

Yes thats true, but we've caused that problem ourselves by signing all these players that we didnt really need if we had placed a bit more trust in our youth system, Mrowiec, Black, Stevenson, Bouzid, Kucharski, Obua, Balogh, Suso, Palazuelos. Nine players involved in Saturday's first team squad to some degree. I'm not saying all of them were/are garbage and thats not the point I'm trying to make, but in my view we didnt NEED to sign a single one of them if our youth policy was working. Our youth policy NOW clearly has a log jam at best or at worst, simply isnt working at all or isnt being allowed to prove itself is probably more accurate.

Drylaw Hearts

is that something you know or just a prediction?

A mixed bag....

I was told yesterday that Park was going to Cowdenbeath (I actually thought he was still injured), Glen to Killie is a rumour which has been gathering pace for a few days and PJ1 posted earlier that Black was going Killie also as part of the Bryson deal.

As for Kucharski - I just hope he realises he's not going to play unless our entire defence is kidnapped and decides to leave.

Jason Thompson ?

He's 23.

cheers, temps counts according to kick ass, so your 28 becomes 22 under the English ruling. I think we could maybe shed one or two of our current first team squad but that's about it. with the injuries we have had I actually think our first team squad is about the right size.

what I am unsure about is players who are not and are unlikely to feature in the first team but are too old for the 19's. maybe someone could tell us more about these types of players.

Having seen the highlights of the first 2 U19 matches this season I doubt this is the case.

The St Mirren match in particular had 5 of the best goals I've seen Hearts score at any level in one match. There was a few crackers in the Kille match also.

JJ was asked a direct question by Scott Wilson as to who had it.

At the very leat I was expecting say, Scott Walker to be mentioned, but JJ said that most of them have a long, long way to go. His tone wasn't that of a man trying to keep feet firmy on the ground. Not even a generic that one or two of them have a right good chance if they knuckled down.

jamboinglasgow

A mixed bag....

I was told yesterday that Park was going to Cowdenbeath (I actually thought he was still injured), Glen to Killie is a rumour which has been gathering pace for a few days and PJ1 posted earlier that Black was going Killie also as part of the Bryson deal.

As for Kucharski - I just hope he realises he's not going to play unless our entire defence is kidnapped and decides to leave.

ah fair enough. Park has come back from injury but really needs match fitness (dont think he has ever played a senior game of football, at the age of 22 that is crazy.) Cowdenbeath would be a good move (presume its a loan move.) I think Glen going to Killie for a season long loan would be beneficial (plus being under a manager who was a renowned striker helps as well.) I feel sorry for Black if he leaves as he is a Hearts fan and he will always be seen as a player who did not play at all well for Hearts.

Ryan Gosling

JJ was asked a direct question by Scott Wilson as to who had it.

At the very leat I was expecting say, Scott Walker to be mentioned, but JJ said that most of them have a long, long way to go. His tone wasn't that of a man trying to keep feet firmy on the ground. Not even a generic that one or two of them have a right good chance if they knuckled down.

JJ is being coy. Jason Holt and Jamie Walker are two of the highest rated players since the Academy opened.

Archived