Robinson & Templeton

daza1874

Why does jefferies never give Robinson a game especially since we have injuries to our strikers and why does jj always take off temps even if he's ripping our opponents to pieces?

Why does jefferies never give Robinson a game especially since we have injuries to our strikers and why does jj always take off temps even if he's ripping our opponents to pieces?

Trying to protect them would be my guess. Temps can't keep skinning folk if he is on the treatment table. Fullbacks will start to give him the treatment if he is embarrassing them for 90 mins. He may also not have built up his stamina sufficiently to do it for 90mins every week.

For Robinson it may be that he is worried about having him and Temps and Eggy and Calum and Stevo all in the same side - still not a huge amount of SPL experience between them?

Creepy Lurker

Trying to protect them would be my guess. Temps can't keep skinning folk if he is on the treatment table. Fullbacks will start to give him the treatment if he is embarrassing them for 90 mins. He may also not have built up his stamina sufficiently to do it for 90mins every week.

For Robinson it may be that he is worried about having him and Temps and Eggy and Calum and Stevo all in the same side - still not a huge amount of SPL experience between them?

:mellow:

Jonsson and Elliot have both played over 100 games for us.

Footballfirst

My concern about Robinson is that he has now played around 10mins competitive football this season. It won't take long before he loses any match sharpness. I would let him go back to play some games with the U19s and give another of the youth players a seat on the bench for a couple of games. Otherwise we will end up with a group of players lacking match fitness as G Smith, Novikovas, Visconte and Robinson himself found themselves last season. Other candidates for the bench are D Thomson, J Stewart, P Mulrooney or D Prychynenko as midfield cover or R Ogleby up front.

:mellow:

Jonsson and Elliot have both played over 100 games for us.

Yeah, I messed up what I was trying to say there. Was going to say they were all pretty young, then added Stevenson onto the list so said "SPL experience" as a catch-all to cover the lot when it was not all that accurate.

I think what I meant was that we could be in danger of putting too much pressure on young or inexperienced players to carry the team. Something like that.

As much as it's great giving these young guys games, you can't expect them to play 90 minutes. Both Temps and Robinson have to build up, and that will just come with age because, I feel even though Templeton is playing really well, don't get me wrong, that both look just too light weight. I'm sure throughout the season both will get plenty game time but I feel that especially Robinson could do with being loaned out for a season, build up stamina, confidence and get game time. In a couple of season I think he could make his mark.

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, I messed up what I was trying to say there. Was going to say they were all pretty young, then added Stevenson onto the list so said "SPL experience" as a catch-all to cover the lot when it was not all that accurate.

I think what I meant was that we could be in danger of putting too much pressure on young or inexperienced players to carry the team. Something like that.

I'd agree with that: we need a blend of youth and experience, with young (or inexperienced) players being given the time to find their feet.

Sadly, though, I'm not sure that we have the personnel for that. The likes of Kyle and Barr have helped to add a fair bit of SPL experience, but our experienced midfield players mostly aren't pulling their weight at the moment.

As much as it's great giving these young guys games, you can't expect them to play 90 minutes. Both Temps and Robinson have to build up, and that will just come with age because, I feel even though Templeton is playing really well, don't get me wrong, that both look just too light weight. I'm sure throughout the season both will get plenty game time but I feel that especially Robinson could do with being loaned out for a season, build up stamina, confidence and get game time. In a couple of season I think he could make his mark.

I'd agree with that: we need a blend of youth and experience, with young (or inexperienced) players being given the time to find their feet.

Sadly, though, I'm not sure that we have the personnel for that. The likes of Kyle and Barr have helped to add a fair bit of SPL experience, but our experienced midfield players mostly aren't pulling their weight at the moment.

I think both of these are true. We need a blend of youth and experience and we need to make sure we are not too lightweight in the middle of the park. I think both these factors may be what are stopping Robinson lining up in our current midfield set up.

portobellojambo1

While I understand what some are saying about young players potentially burning out, I think the management team also have to be careful they don't disillusion players by only using them as bit parts. I was very surprised at the substitution of Templeton today because he was playing so well, and looked capable of playing the full 90 minutes (after all that is what they train for the rest of the week. It is only in football, and some other sports possibly, that this aspect of working life seems to turn up. I cannot imagine many bosses in other industries regularly sending their staff home early to save burning them out).

So, there is a lot of responsibility on the management team to explain why someone who is playing so well is substituted in a game, like today. Unfortunately today's substitutions left a lot to the imagination, because they forced us to back pedal for the closing 20 minutes or so. We lost our outlets going forward, and Kyle was finding how awkward it is to play the 1 in a 4-5-1 formation, without any supporting midfielders. Obua and Novikovas offered him no help at all.

If Robinson had been available for selection today I'd have preferred to see him up top with Kyle from the start, to maintain a 4-4-2 system, with Ian Black being sacrificed.

While I understand what some are saying about young players potentially burning out, I think the management team also have to be careful they don't disillusion players by only using them as bit parts. I was very surprised at the substitution of Templeton today because he was playing so well, and looked capable of playing the full 90 minutes (after all that is what they train for the rest of the week. It is only in football, and some other sports possibly, that this aspect of working life seems to turn up. I cannot imagine many bosses in other industries regularly sending their staff home early to save burning them out).

So, there is a lot of responsibility on the management team to explain why someone who is playing so well is substituted in a game, like today. Unfortunately today's substitutions left a lot to the imagination, because they forced us to back pedal for the closing 20 minutes or so. We lost our outlets going forward, and Kyle was finding how awkward it is to play the 1 in a 4-5-1 formation, without any supporting midfielders. Obua and Novikovas offered him no help at all.

If Robinson had been available for selection today I'd have preferred to see him up top with Kyle from the start, to maintain a 4-4-2 system, with Ian Black being sacrificed.

Agree with all the of this PJ1. The substitutions cost us the game IMO. The gap in the middle of the park was glaring and I thought the taking of Mrowiec and Stevenson and replacing them with McGowan and Robinson would have given some support to the defence and support for Kyle. I am all for easing in young players but Robinson has enough to be given the last twenty minutes here and there.

Archived