Zal Set For Captaincy

Clerry Jambo

Robbo-Jambo

His contract only runs to December though unless something has been sorted out about it being extended. :ermm:

His contract only runs to December though unless something has been sorted out about it being extended. :ermm:

Hopefully he will start being frozen out in a week or two. :whistling:

Had hoped JJ would have seen the flaws in Zaliukas' game and wheeled and dealed for a new centre half.

The White Cockade

I guess this means he will be here for the long term or it would be daft making him captain

Good news for me as he could be an important player for us if he improves his concentration levels

i love the way that it's assumed that we can replace the flawed zaliukas with another centre half and that the replacement wont have any flaws of his own.

Gigolo-Aunt

i love the way that it's assumed that we can replace the flawed zaliukas with another centre half and that the replacement wont have any flaws of his own.

Spot on, Vic.

So we now accept major flaws as the norm.

Hopefully there is another Berra in the ranks or a Webster in the lower leagues.

I do appreciate that AW and CB don't have the footballing ability of MZ, just miles better defenders.

I assume that there are better centre halves than Zaliukas out there.

Do you think it would be impossible to replace him with a better player?

So we now accept major flaws as the norm.

Hopefully there is another Berra in the ranks or a Webster in the lower leagues.

I do appreciate that AW and CB don't have the footballing ability of MZ, just miles better defenders.

didn't quite say we accept it as the norm. just the same as every other club in world football we play the best players we are able to recruit and who are available.

the point i was making was that, while zaliukas makes mistakes, his strengths and qualities still make him a worthwhile choice.

I assume that there are better centre halves than Zaliukas out there.

Do you think it would be impossible to replace him with a better player?

it's certainly not impossible. i'm sure JJ would have been trying to sign up a better CH if one was available to him. he does know a bit about the game.

didn't quite say we accept it as the norm. just the same as every other club in world football we play the best players we are able to recruit and who are available.

the point i was making was that, while zaliukas makes mistakes, his strengths and qualities still make him a worthwhile choice.

it's certainly not impossible. i'm sure JJ would have been trying to sign up a better CH if one was available to him. he does know a bit about the game.

I had hoped he would make it a priority to bring in a better centre half. I like Kello in goal. We have a number of decent choices at full back. Would see Barr, Jonsson and Wallace as the alternative options to play beside a big bruiser of a dominating centre half with Zaliukas moved out of the club.

Kyle hopefully will be the right signing. In my view we could do with a ball winner in midfield, a forward going midfield player and a striker with real pace. 5 signings in my view could have transformed a poor team this close season. Centre half (with Zaliukas moved on), ball winner, attacking midfielder, centre forward (Kyle), and striker with pace. Looks like we might get 2 of the 5.

Hearts of Vladland

Good, the guy is some character, nutter and meant to be a joker in the changing room.

Great news. :thumbsup:

Big Zal is the best central defender in the SPL, so this is a well deserved honour.

Good, the guy is some character, nutter and meant to be a joker in the changing room.

A bit like John Hughes then.

The youth teams must be delighted.

If only Rangers made Gazza captain, these continual humpings in the CL could've have been reversed and put Real Madrid record wins at risk.

Johnny Sandiego

With Barr coming in and McGowan coming back from loan, i think we're pretty much covered in the defence. It's natural to always want better players to improve the team, but sometimes you just have to play the cards you're delt, especially when the budget's tight. For me the priority was always a striker and attacking midfielder.

As for the captency, if JJ feels Zal's done enough in the two games then why not stick with him? His game has improved over the last 18 months and he has the ability and presence at the back to lead a team. Johnson's got plenty time to develop into a leader and for me giving him the captency this season would put too much pressure on him. Wallace would have been a decent choice and i'd imagine he'll deputise if Zal's missing anyway.

It's a positive that we appear to now have 4 or 5 potential leaders out there too. When Berra left and Robbie took over the armband we lacked in that department and for me results sometimes suffered. It's good to have a few lads who will roll the sleaves up and get stuck in again.

I had hoped he would make it a priority to bring in a better centre half. I like Kello in goal. We have a number of decent choices at full back. Would see Barr, Jonsson and Wallace as the alternative options to play beside a big bruiser of a dominating centre half with Zaliukas moved out of the club.

Kyle hopefully will be the right signing. In my view we could do with a ball winner in midfield, a forward going midfield player and a striker with real pace. 5 signings in my view could have transformed a poor team this close season. Centre half (with Zaliukas moved on), ball winner, attacking midfielder, centre forward (Kyle), and striker with pace. Looks like we might get 2 of the 5.

even assuming that JJ was looking to replace zaliukas (which i would say is highly unlikely) then i really couldn't see him doing so from outwith the club. there are quite a few alternatives already at the club. we've got bouzid, kosovo dave (not the best to be fair), jonsson, barr, wallace and a couple of young lads.

long term it might be that barr can force his way into a CH position but his best chance of a start right now looks to be at RB. again long term i would far prefer c.thomson at RB and we don't know if barr will cut it at CH therefore the jury is still very much out.

it's a bit disappointing that JJ hasn't yet been able to reshuffle the deck a bit in midfield. i would be delighted if he was able to move on the likes of black and palazuelos if it meant getting a box-to-box player and a better ball winner.

we appear to have decent options on the wings. can't see vlad springing for an expensive striker. hopefully this trialist will be decent.

Hearts of Vladland
A bit like John Hughes then.The youth teams must be delighted.If only Rangers made Gazza captain, these continual humpings in the CL could've have been reversed and put Real Madrid record wins at risk.

As well as be a nutter he also put his arm over the youth helping them, he is one of the most vocal players in team. People are calling for Wallace to be captain, I have never noticed Wallace as being much of a leader, a good player but never a captain.

Big Zal is the best central defender in the SPL, so this is a well deserved honour.

I think Zal is a good centre half, but that is just a ludicrous statement.

Jambof3tornado

As well as be a nutter he also put his arm over the youth helping them, he is one of the most vocal players in team. People are calling for Wallace to be captain, I have never noticed Wallace as being much of a leader, a good player but never a captain.

lee wallace is too quiet to be a captain!

Very good choice imo.

Zaliukas has been one of our most consistent performers over the past couple of season.

Yes, he's had his "mental" moments but those are very rare now.

He is no longer the bombscare many are quick to label him.

In my opinion he is as good a defender (and captain) as Berra was when he left.

Very good choice imo.

Zaliukas has been one of our most consistent performers over the past couple of season.

Mostly agree. Vast improvement last season and hope that continues

Very good choice imo.

The only thing Zal is consistent at is making mistakes during games. Even today he had another one of his moments. rolleyes.gif

Sometimes he can be a good defender but the good stuff is far too often undone. In terms of defending and consistency he couldn't lace Berra's boots.

Clerry Jambo

Very good choice imo.

Respect you opinion but it's pesh, Zal couldnae lace Berra's big boots and thats a fact :thumbsup:

Guest jambomickey

you having a laugh?

Guest jambomickey

Respect you opinion but it's pesh, Zal couldnae lace Berra's big boots and thats a fact :thumbsup:

agreed mate, zaliukas is and always has been a bomb scare.

Gigolo-Aunt

I see the positive posts lasted a couple of pre season games, Michael.

Guest jambomickey

I see the positive posts lasted a couple of pre season games, Michael.

i've always had that opinion of zaliukas gig.

Gigolo-Aunt

i've always had that opinion of zaliukas gig.

Not saying you have not, bud.

The negative neddy is starting to creep in to your posts though.

Turn that frown upside down!

Would you accept that he has gone from being a bomb scare on the scale of say, the blitz down to more of a Chinese firecracker type.

Guest jambomickey

Not saying you have not, bud.

The negative neddy is starting to creep in to your posts though.

Turn that frown upside down!

not negative going into this season gig tbh, i think we'll have a good season if jj, billy brown and lockie let get on with the job! this is the most i've looked forward to a season for a long time tbh.

Guest jambomickey

Would you accept that he has gone from being a bomb scare on the scale of say, the blitz down to more of a Chinese firecracker type.

i think he has improved and is a bit more reliable.

not negative going into this season gig tbh, i think we'll have a good season if jj, billy brown and lockie let get on with the job! this is the most i've looked forward to a season for a long time tbh.

Me too. A bit of improvement from some and one or two more new faces and it should be a cracking season.

i think he has improved and is a bit more reliable.

Improved and still improving by Xmas he'll be our own rio Ferdinand,

Then he'll leave cos his loan is up

Gigolo-Aunt

He has come a long way from the raw kid who was thrown in to the middle of the park when he first arrived.

A lot of fans did not like him (some still don't)

He is now though looking likely to be club captain - a fantastic honour.

Well done Zali - hard work pays off.

As many don't like him (still) he'll need to earn that band I think.

I like him he does have passion in him, if he can keep a lid on it then I'm sure he'll do well in the role.

We'll just need to wait and see, I for one will by 100% behind our captain and my team :love:

Commander Harris

I like Zal but he does have something he needs to work on, his disciple has improved greatly over the last season, and so has his concentration to a lesser extent. ?He does seem to try to overplay it in dangerous areas - needs to realise that sometimes clearing your lines is more important. ?

When he's fully focused he's a very good defender - just needs to make sure he keeps that focus and hopefully being captain might help with that. ?

Do you know for certain that Marius Zaliukas, likely captain of Heart of Midlothian Football Club could not lace up the boots of Christophe Berra?

If so then I must insist you do not represent that as a fact.

Going on recent seasons one can only assume who ever gets the arm band wont be a Hearts player for by the end of the season.

Good player that Zal, not the best centre back in the SPL but probally one of our most prolific goal scorers! and red card colector, sadly.

As for a replacement....Ryan Mcgowan seems to be the obvious choice. He has always looked like a good player just lacks experince, however Berra showed and old head on young shoulders maybe Ryan could do the same?

winston churchill

I predict Zal will have an outstanding season. :thumbsup:

i predict he will cost us a few goals and get his customary red cards.

he almost cost us a point yesterday with his his usual rush of blood.

Chad Sexington

At least your trying to stay positive, Winston. :teehee:

winston churchill

At least your trying to stay positive, Winston. :teehee:

check back on my posts from a few weeks ago.

i've already posted that.

as poor as our squad is.if we can get/keep kyle fit and driver gives us the odd cameo.

we will fight it out with the dutch hibernian for 3rd/4th.

motherwell have lost half the loan players from last season.

dundee hibernian will miss wilkie, judas levien and judas webster big time.

i think stjohnstone will replace motherwell from last seasons top six.

We really do have this league in the bag.

We're already 6 points clear of the field as our friendly results count.

Surely any results gained against EPL sides count double.

If Zal makes his (basic) mistakes in pre-season friendlies, and learns from them, then great.

Sadly Winston, I'm with you.

Good start to season, first big game, cue Zal missing a ball straight down his throat.

shaun.lawson

We really do have this league in the bag.

We're already 6 points clear of the field as our friendly results count.

Surely any results gained against EPL sides count double.

If Zal makes his (basic) mistakes in pre-season friendlies, and learns from them, then great.

Sadly Winston, I'm with you.

Good start to season, first big game, cue Zal missing a ball straight down his throat.

According to the league table I just checked, normal service has been resumed as we're already above Hibs. Forever in our shadow, etc etc. St Mirren are bottom, which I find most splendid. But suddenly I see why Hartley joined Aberdeen - because they're top! :o

Archived