'riccarton 3' Angst..

Martin_T

As usual JKB has excelled itself in the ludicrous over-reaction of some members to speculation as to the reason we may have dropped our interest in Paul Hartley. The reason I have started a seperate thread here is that the subject differs enough from the mainstream Hartley threat to merit a different debate. So the main question is this, are we as a fanbase over the Riccarton 3 debate, is that infamous press conference still as sensitive an issue today as it was then?

The crux of the all the angst expressed over Hartley's potential non-signing seems to be that it has re-opened old wounds from 2006. Many of you in my opinion would see Hartley's signing as the final affirmation that the club had changed from those dark days. For what it's worth I was fully behind Elvis, Craig and Paul back then and whilst I have mellowed somewhat in my attitude to Romanov, I still do not fully trust the man.

However try to view things with some perspective. This summer we have secured two of the most sought after Bosman signings in the SPL in Kevin Kyle and Darren Barr, we know for a fact that we beat two of our main competitors in Hibs and Aberdeen to those signings. The club have yet again shown that it will take top money to take away our best talent, by turning down close to ?3million for Andy Driver. We know that the club are actively pursuing the signing of Craig Bryson, another young talented Scottish player who would enhance our team. Perhaps the mistake HMFC made with regards Hartley was ever officially announcing our interest in the first place, the sense of let down would be nowhere near as great if interest had never been officially confirmed and then 'cooled'.

I would encourage some of you just to step away from JKB for an hour or so and think things through rationally. It would seem evident that the forum whips all those who contribute to it into a collective hysterical frenzy during times like these.

Jake Gittes

As usual JKB has excelled itself in the ludicrous over-reaction of some members to speculation as to the reason we may have dropped our interest in Paul Hartley. The reason I have started a seperate thread here is that the subject differs enough from the mainstream Hartley threat to merit a different debate. So the main question is this, are we as a fanbase over the Riccarton 3 debate, is that infamous press conference still as sensitive an issue today as it was then?

The crux of the all the angst expressed over Hartley's potential non-signing seems to be that it has re-opened old wounds from 2006. Many of you in my opinion would see Hartley's signing as the final affirmation that the club had changed from those dark days. For what it's worth I was fully behind Elvis, Craig and Paul back then and whilst I have mellowed somewhat in my attitude to Romanov, I still do not fully trust the man.

However try to view things with some perspective. This summer we have secured two of the most sought after Bosman signings in the SPL in Kevin Kyle and Darren Barr, we know for a fact that we beat two of our main competitors in Hibs and Aberdeen to those signings. The club have yet again shown that it will take top money to take away our best talent, by turning down close to ?3million for Andy Driver. We know that the club are actively pursuing the signing of Craig Bryson, another young talented Scottish player who would enhance our team. Perhaps the mistake HMFC made with regards Hartley was ever officially announcing our interest in the first place, the sense of let down would be nowhere near as great if interest had never been officially confirmed and then 'cooled'.

I would encourage some of you just to step away from JKB for an hour or so and think things through rationally. It would seem evident that the forum whips all those who contribute to it into a collective hysterical frenzy during times like these.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Lately I have felt better about things at Hearts.

We have installed a strong management team that we know has HMFC's interests at heart.

We have offloaded various wage thieves who were bleeding the club dry.

We have made two good signings in Barr and Kyle. We are pursuing another good young Scot in Bryson.

We have stood fast when offers came in for Driver.

We seemed to about to re-sign one of our greatest players over the last 10 years who has strong feelings for the Club and would be universally welcomed back.

However...

Vladimir Romanov is still here. He still has influence and he is an unforgiving man who has no understanding of Western mentality STILL if he thinks Paul Hartley would ever "sign" some disclaimer re previous actions.

The story may be untrue. But sadly when I heard it, I was more sad than angry.

Sad, because my immediate reaction was that it was probably true.

And that's how I have become under the tenure of Vladimir Romanov.

But I still hope it is not true and Paul Hartley signs for us. Vlad has not destroyed my hopes for Hearts and he never will.

jamboinglasgow

Its an intersting one, people have a real go at Elvis for the Riccarton 3 incident. I agree with another well-known poster (who I wont name as he hasn't posted yet) that we prefer to see Gordon and Hartley dragged into it by Elvis (which suits posters who hate Elvis as it makes him sound worse and only trying to cover his back.)

I think if we were to announce the signing of Bryson in the next few days then I think Kickback would calm down a bit, part of the panic is that we are back to the same stage we were before since Kyle signed which is no new signings. Personally I think that there must of been a change of dialogue between Hearts and Kilmarnock for us to put in a new bid and reject signing Hartley, maybe both sides have agreed to compromise and a new figure has been agreed which Hearts have accepted to bid (possibly with add-ons.)

marshallschunkychicken

Good post.

For what it's worth, I think that IF the R3 link is a purely speculative link to provoke a reaction / sell papers, then it's entirely done it's job. The papers know this is a sore spot.

That said, the lack of a denial is worrying to me, and I get the feeling that it's not just the media with long memories over this.

Whether or not there is any truth in the Sun's story, I stand 100% behind Mr Romanov.

I'm not bothered about Hartley coming back. He's more than done his bit for us, and I fear that when he doesn't repeat similar feats - which he wouldn't - the Hearts boo boys and interweb critics would round on him.

maybe tomorrow the club will come out and say that hartley and his agent wanted a clause in the contract stipulating that romanov had to sign a statement to say the riccarton 3 were right all along.

only then will the pantomime be complete.

Nucky Thompson

I'm not bothered about Hartley coming back. He's more than done his bit for us, and I fear that when he doesn't repeat similar feats - which he wouldn't - the Hearts boo boys and interweb critics would round on him.

Totally agree with this

jamboinglasgow

Whether or not there is any truth in the Sun's story, I stand 100% behind Mr Romanov.

its rare that I agree with you, but I do there. I am in favour of him coming back but I had become a quite worried that he was almost being built into something he is not.

shaun.lawson

I'm not bothered about Hartley coming back. But of course, if there is truth in The Sun's story, it'd blow your oft repeated and always ludicrous line about him and Gordon being dragged into the press conference against their will, completely out of the water. And if he signed for Aberdeen, it'd throw your contentions about March 2011 into stark relief too. Oh dear. Oh dearie me. :)

The Real Maroonblood

maybe tomorrow the club will come out and say that hartley and his agent wanted a clause in the contract stipulating that romanov had to sign a statement to say the riccarton 3 were right all along.

only then will the pantomime be complete.

:lol::lol::lol:

Greedy_Jambo

Good post but i've still to see why craig bryson is being classed as talented and that he would be a good addition to the team.

Half a mil for guy that didn't even exist on most people's radars untill J.J wanted him. There's not 1 other team interested in him (as far as im aware) The only battle to get him is with the killie chairman who thinks J.J is a dickhead.

Give me some clips of him to watch from youtube or something. Oh wait.. there aren't any.

Save yer money hearts. I would rather have Hartley.

I fear that when he doesn't repeat similar feats - which he wouldn't - the Hearts boo boys and interweb critics would round on him.

I would hate for that to happen and it's probably for the best but I'm still upset about not getting him. Especially to Aberdeen.

him and Gordon being dragged into the press conference against their will

That's exactly what happened.

And if he signed for Aberdeen, it'd throw your contentions about March 2011 into stark relief too.

Faced with a choice between not earning and earning until 31 March 2011, I'm sure he'd choose the latter. Fact.

Shaun - stick to Budgie FC. There's a good chap.

Seymour M Hersh

Just read the Sun article and lots of "understands", "believes" and a "spokesperson" so usual smoke and mirrors and nothing clear cut. However, if PH wanted to go to the press and dish the dirt he has surely had enough time to do so since leaving (I doubt he ever expected to be re-signing 3 years later). So he either doesn't dish dirt or he does not think there is much to dish. Why would he be so affronted by signing a document like that? And if the document thing is true surely it's time for Vlad to move on especially if the hints that it's more a regime choice (PH) than a JJ one.

Johanes de Silentio

Never mind Riccarton - we should have won the SPL in 2005/06 - one man messed it - it was Vlad, imo.

I don't blame Pressley et al for the Riccarton thing - he was clearly at the end of his tether - he/they wanted to make a statement about the shambolic mess, imo.

I'm not sure that Pressley was trying to engineer a move away, but even if he was, it seems to me that he felt that the carry-on behind the scenes was shocking, and that it was time to speak out.

Pressley's behaviour since leaving has been hard to take, but he's not employed by us anymore - I expect Hartley to be a bit more dignified when Aberdeen hit Gorgie! ;)

We now have JJ back - he's a pragmatist, but I don't think he's the type to be messed with long-term.

There are too many question-marks over Romanov, so the jury's still out, imo.

Just editing to add that, yes, I'm over it! :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Interesting OP. Personally, I think we are over Riccartongate, and have been for some considerable time. Much of the pantomime on Kickback about it is just that: a pantomime. Role playing, banter and mock outrage, which probably makes people seem more entrenched when really, almost all of us are on much the same page.

That being: we know Romanov is the only show in town. We're happy that we have a manager who understands the club and we can identify with again. We can see a degree of promise in the squad being built, with or without Hartley. And we know that Romanov is a radgepot who can torpedo it all whenever he fancies, but has by and large behaved himself for much (though certainly not all) of the last two years.

So to while away the time, we wind one another up about past events, and a number of people show their penchant for what can often be seriously good comedy, with Steven Pressley the ultimate source of that. The key, really, is not to take what's said on here particularly seriously; or often, even at all seriously. Some things at Hearts are good; some, not so good. Same with almost all football clubs in truth.

HelloSunshine

If the R3 wounds were still wet, I don't think Hearts would have released the statement at the end of last week confirming our interest in PH. I hope that the reason behind our interest being 'cooled' is that another of our targets has 'warmed' up a bit.

I'd love to see Hartley back, but it only becomes a moan at Vlad issue for me when the transfer window closes and we have not brought in the right type of player - another striker and an attacking midfielder.

shaun.lawson

That's exactly what happened.

Which must mean you automatically refute all The Sun's allegations. But you haven't, and neither have the club. How odd.

Faced with a choice between not earning and earning until 31 March 2011, I'm sure he'd choose the latter. Fact.

Shaun - stick to Budgie FC. There's a good chap.

How about - he signs for a club where he earns all season long? And to your utter chagrin, Aberdeen would appear to be one such option.

The Real Maroonblood

Interesting OP. Personally, I think we are over Riccartongate, and have been for some considerable time. Much of the pantomime on Kickback about it is just that: a pantomime. Role playing, banter and mock outrage, which probably makes people seem more entrenched when really, almost all of us are on much the same page.

That being: we know Romanov is the only show in town. We're happy that we have a manager who understands the club and we can identify with again. We can see a degree of promise in the squad being built, with or without Hartley. And we know that Romanov is a radgepot who can torpedo it all whenever he fancies, but has by and large behaved himself for much (though certainly not all) of the last two years.

So to while away the time, we wind one another up about past events, and a number of people show their penchant for what can often be seriously good comedy, with Steven Pressley the ultimate source of that. The key, really, is not to take what's said on here particularly seriously; or often, even at all seriously. Some things at Hearts are good; some, not so good. Same with almost all football clubs really.

Sean most fans are disapponted at not getting Hartley but I think the real gripe is how it has been dealt with.

It's like Groundhog Day.

That's a statement of remarkable confidence.

Shaun, the Sun is a comic, nothing more. Engaging with them simply gives them credibility they don't deserve.

Johanes de Silentio

Sean most fans are disapponted at not getting Hartley but I think the real gripe is how it has been dealt with.

It's like Groundhog Day.

Correct - as a great philosopher once said, "It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it"! :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Shaun, I am a comic, nothing more. Engaging with me simply gives me credibility I don't deserve.

Fixed. :thumbsup:

Ray Winstone

People seem to think that Hartley coming back will mean a return to the glory days of the 2005/06 season, which is simply a fantasy.

Hartley coming back would, without doubt, benifit the club in so many more ways than simply adding a good player to the squad - but at the end of the day a lot of time has passed since he left and he is a different kind of player now.

I will be delighted if Hartley does sign, but at the same time I won't lose any sleep if he does not come back to Tynecastle.

Johanes de Silentio

People seem to think that Hartley coming back will mean a return to the glory days of the 2005/06 season, which is simply a fantasy.

Hartley coming back would, without doubt, benifit the club in so many more ways than simply adding a good player to the squad - but at the end of the day a lot of time has passed since he left and he is a different kind of player now.

I will be delighted if Hartley does sign, but at the same time I won't lose any sleep if he does not come back to Tynecastle.

People don't really think that, do they? :blink:

scott herbertson

I have lifted myself off the floor to say that I totally agree with every word of this...

Post of the day.

Shaun - shut it. :angry:

Ray Winstone

People don't really think that, do they? :blink:

Reading through the HUGE Hartley thread - I actually think some do.

shaun.lawson

Post of the day.

Shaun - shut it. :angry:

The pantomime continues. :D

Johanes de Silentio

Reading through the HUGE Hartley thread - I actually think some do.

Blimey! :blink:

I just think Hartley woulda been the player who could provide infuence, experience, a football brain, and some nice passing, set-pieces, etc.

Sadly, I don't think he's coming now - woulda been good, but there you go - we have to move on. :rolleyes:

Rudolf's Mate

Only thing that bothers me about The R3 is the way some used Elvis as the catalyst for our problems. Although I personally had no gripe with what he did you could say that it was Webster that triggered a lot of the anger and others took the rap (so to speak.)

only thing that really gets me about the latest turn is that we've come out claiming we won't comment about a player as he's still belongs to another club when the same person openly spoke about the player days prior to the recent statement.

I really want PH back however I'd be happy to take a new emerging talent. Just not happy that we seem to be taken as mugs yet again!

Only a Game

Your second sentence is 100% correct.

Your first sentence indicates that your nothing more than a mere follower with very little ability to arrive an independent judgement. When my mum used to say "If he told you to jump under a bus would you do it?" she was thinking about you.

When my mum used to say "If he told you to jump under a bus would you do it?" she was thinking about you.

Sadly, you must have been a bit of a rebel, and never took her advice. :thumbsup:

Mad Dog Frazer

Lately I have felt better about things at Hearts.

We have installed a strong management team that we know has HMFC's interests at heart.

We have offloaded various wage thieves who were bleeding the club dry.

We have made two good signings in Barr and Kyle. We are pursuing another good young Scot in Bryson.

We have stood fast when offers came in for Driver.

We seemed to about to re-sign one of our greatest players over the last 10 years who has strong feelings for the Club and would be universally welcomed back.

However...

Vladimir Romanov is still here. He still has influence and he is an unforgiving man who has no understanding of Western mentality STILL if he thinks Paul Hartley would ever "sign" some disclaimer re previous actions.

The story may be untrue. But sadly when I heard it, I was more sad than angry.

Sad, because my immediate reaction was that it was probably true.

And that's how I have become under the tenure of Vladimir Romanov.

But I still hope it is not true and Paul Hartley signs for us. Vlad has not destroyed my hopes for Hearts and he never will.

well said

Guest jambomickey

totally agree, didn't get the paul hartley hysteria on here.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I still don't quite understand what the point of the whole Riccarton press conference was tbh.

We were told there was "significant unrest". Thanks for the breaking news lads, although we had a wee suspicsion already.

What was the result of it? Not much happened tbf. Elvis eventually left. The other two stayed before selling them for the best part of ?10 million.

It was all a bit "meh", and in the grand scheme of things, wasn't all that significant.

I'm feeling much the same about the non-return of Hartley. It doesn't really change anything.

I agree with Therapist.

mellow.gif

Just sicked in my mouth a bit typing that, but would be delighted if Hartley didn't come back.

There is one good thing to come from all this JKB Hartley hysteria - nobody is bothering to find out if the Finnish lad is decent or not (i.e. a Vlad or JJ signing).

Mind you I suppose this will only last till tomorrow night at Dunfy.

My own opinion is that I am more interested in JJ signing another striker.

I don't think anyone believed for one second that bringing back PH would mean an instant return to the 05/06 glory days. Not at all. What I think people saw was the chance to bring back a player who could first and foremost perform a very valuable role in a footballing sense, he could add a ton of experience to the squad, he would be the perfect candidate for the captaincy, he knows the club and he knows the fans. It just seemed absolutely right.

There have been mutterings and complaints about how the squad haven't had much grit, there hasn't really been an individual who displayed the passion that so many of them did in 05/06 so in that respect, yes...I think some of us probably were looking forward to having someone who does that as standard and could perhaps instill a little of that determination in the rest of our players. He wore the jersey with pride and he played like it meant the world - that's the only thing from 05/06 that I really hoped to see.

Dear JKB,

Anyone think Hartley could end up at Killie if they lose Bryson for a few ????

Yours,

Boof - the least in-the-know poster on the board.

Dear JKB,

Anyone think Hartley could end up at Killie if they lose Bryson for a few ????

Yours,

Boof - the least in-the-know poster on the board.

If that happens Killie will officially go into my top six of hated teams.

I agree with Therapist.

mellow.gif

Just sicked in my mouth a bit typing that, but would be delighted if Hartley didn't come back.

:lol:

PsychocAndy

I saw the return of PH as an Alex MacDonald type signing. Not only being a leader on the park, but off it too.

We have a lot of young laddies in and around the first team that are quite well off compared to other lads their age. An experienced head giving that advice is another person to heed, that isn't on the coaching staff.

I saw the F/Book profile of one of our talented(?) underachievers the other day and he dosen't half big up himself. Open relationship, money , cars, fit, everything that says, to those of us thats seen him play "Well above my station but, I have another few years of this before I get a real job".

I think PH would have word with type of laddie and tell him he's burning the candle at the wrong end and they might just well listen.

PH is one of those players that give 100% every game and ,guessing this bit, training session. A man that can pick up his wages every week and think "I've earned this". That type of thing can rub off on our youngsters and he isn't the player he was but he's still the same man.

I think we have enough quality in our squad to challenge for 3rd just now but with Paul Hartley in our team we might just pip Dundee Utd to 2nd.

Fort Vallance

Its an intersting one, people have a real go at Elvis for the Riccarton 3 incident. I agree with another well-known poster (who I wont name as he hasn't posted yet) that we prefer to see Gordon and Hartley dragged into it by Elvis (which suits posters who hate Elvis as it makes him sound worse and only trying to cover his back.)

I think if we were to announce the signing of Bryson in the next few days then I think Kickback would calm down a bit, part of the panic is that we are back to the same stage we were before since Kyle signed which is no new signings. Personally I think that there must of been a change of dialogue between Hearts and Kilmarnock for us to put in a new bid and reject signing Hartley, maybe both sides have agreed to compromise and a new figure has been agreed which Hearts have accepted to bid (possibly with add-ons.)

I personally have no problem with Pressley over Riccarton. My beef is the way he behaved after he left the club.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I still hope the club decides that it has legal grounds to go after The Sun for crediting their story to a "Hearts spokesman"... That is the part in all of this that got on my nerves.

As for the R3 borefest... i think that is down to the fact that the press have absolutely no idea what is going on at Tynecastle these days but they have just not bothered about us for such a long time now that when they do decide it is time for a spot of sabre rattling all they can think of is a story from 4 years ago... kind of like the deluded Hobos and their 0-7 game... nothing really of any interest happened since so they hark back to an incident that most people forgot about years ago.

The sad thing is, the press are so out of touch with what is happening at our club that they honestly seem to think that we Hearts fans sit and think about the R3 incident every day and believe our club is going under because they tell us so in their pathetic little comics.

The only time I ever saw anyone reading the Sun was when i worked on a building site and even then it was only picked up when there was no daily Sport on a closer-at-hand table.

Archived