The Jan 1st statement - what are your thoughts on it at the moment?

Craigieboy

Was it really the case that they were simply trying to calm down the fans, who at the time were in a bit of a frenzy.

Or were they serious? Do you feel that they WILL give us a manager in the mould that they described?

Simply put; were we being told the truth or were we being fed bull****?

I'd say that as the months go by it's looking more likely it was bullsh*t. Maybe a manager will turn up in the summer but I'm expecting an announcement appointing Frail in "charge" with Anatoli the man on the sheet to get round the lack of badges for Frail.

Cut The Crap
Was it really the case that they were simply trying to calm down the fans, who at the time were in a bit of a frenzy.

Or were they serious? Do you feel that they WILL give us a manager in the mould that they described?

Simply put; were we being told the truth or were we being fed bull****?

Who can tell? The truth is after all a moving target.

All I can say with any certainty is that it hasn't been acted upon.

My feeling is,a new man will be at the helm for next season....which will dissappoint the "fans" who actually enjoy Hearts not moving on:confused:

Commander Harris

while the fact that we do not have a permanent manager in place is highly frustrating I don't think we should overlook the fact that part of the jan 1st statement has been fulfilled in that Frail has been given the control promised. It is by no means the long term solution but it has enabled us to start gathering points again and to slowly climb up the table.

I am giving it until the summer. If, when next season has begun, we are no further forward with this in terms of the statement being acted upon, then thats it as far as me and the current management are concerned. Hearts will still be my club but I will have lost what confidence I have left altogether.

I think on the 1st of January, we were about 10th in the table and they thought they needed something to keep the fans coming to Tynecastle every week, so the come out with a statement saying they were going to get a new manager.

It worked in a way but really, it only gave them a bit of time. That time is now running out.

During January they would have probally been concentrating on the stadium application. That's fine, the stadium is more important IMO - it shows Romanov is here for the long run, not just stripping us of assets. The manager is more important to most fans. Romanov can't see this as he is a businessman. The business of the stadium comes first in his eyes.

I think Frail will be given the job until the summer then we'll see what happens.

Guest JamboRobbo

The Jan 1st statement was exactly what I'd been hoping and advocating our club should say and do for well over a year.

I don't believe it takes 10 weeks to find and appoint a manager if you really want to find and appoint one.

My heart hopes the delay is because they are trying to get the right man or already have someone lined up but we need to wait a bit.

My head says the delay is because we're just being led further and further up the garden path. The one thing that gives me hope is that there isn't much path up with anyone else can be led. Not anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together anyway.

It seems to me that if the Jan 1st statement isn't carried out in full as promised, the current incumbents will have lost the support of a hell of a lot of supporters who have given them chance after chance. I can't see that there is any way back for them if Jan 1st statement turns out to be just bull****.

So, they'd have to have been very silly to have made that statement without having some sort of intention to fulfill it. And I don't believe the current custodians of our club are stupid.

Overall, my "take" on the most likely scenario, is that the Jan 1st statement

was a way for them to buy time to think up their next move.

If Frail can do enough that the fans won't lose the plot if he's appointed, then he'll be appointed head puppet IMO. We could do worse. But then again, we could do a hell of a lot better.

Auld Reekin'

Romanov must be judged by what he does, not by what he says.

:gangsta:

Hagar the Horrible

I can only right now take the word that we are actively seeking a fully autonomous British style manager? However it would cost nothing for Hearts to issue a statement stating that this is still a priority?

However as there has not been one appointed and there has been good candidates out there? then it can only be that:

1. The preferred long term choice is still in a job, and wont start till the summer?

2. We have been lied to again and are the worlds biggest mugs?

Shaggy getting the job falls into category 2?

I will stil buy my season ticket as i have always done but wont do that till the very last moment and if statement 2 = true then will pick and choose what matches to go to? and it wont be many as the urine on the menu is not worth going to see, and i wont go to any away games as the current squad may keep us in the SPL but are not good enough for a taken for granted top 6 finish!

No Nonsense

At this point in time the statement looks like it was a time buying exercise put in place to reassure the fans of a club who were struggling at the time. Due to the timing of the statement i.e. the opening of the transfer window, it also looks like it was put in place as some sort of prior explanantion for our lack of activity in the following month. Only time will tell if it was in place as part of a calculated plan to write of this season and start a fresh with a new man and new players next season or, simply another bull**** press release to add to the collection...

Commander Harris

I still think we are overlooking one of the most, perhaps the most, important aspect of that announcement - Romanov has stepped back and the manager, albeit an interim one, has control over selection, tactics, substitutions etc.

While I want a full time permanent manager in place, and I don't believe that Frail is the answer in the long term, this is still highly significant.

I think it was a case of half truths, carrot to the donkey, and will in fact culminate in what was suggested. There will be a new manager, it was never the intent to have one by January 31. I suspect there has been a candidate all along, I further suspect he is presently employed, and agree with the suggestions of being in place for next season.

I am not sure to be honest that Frail will be kept on. and certainly not in a first team position. Having been retired from football as a player for I believe six years he has exhibited a considerable lack of ambition by not taking his coaching qualifications by now.

I still think we are overlooking one of the most, perhaps the most, important aspect of that announcement - Romanov has stepped back and the manager, albeit an interim one, has control over selection, tactics, substitutions etc.

While I want a full time permanent manager in place, and I don't believe that Frail is the answer in the long term, this is still highly significant.

Has he though? Who made the decision on Velicka, Audrey etc? They have a baring on selection and haven't there been a few dubious subs in recent games too? Similar with formations.

Shaggy is doing a good job but I don't believe Romanov has removed himself completely from the team, possibly influence via Anatoli.

Guest JamboRobbo

True. i agree it's good Vlad appears to have realised that picking the team himself was insane.

But that doesn't change the fact that the person currently doing the job isn't qualified or experienced enough to do the job, and doesn't fulfill the criteria even our own board have for a manager.

Given our current custodians track record, I have serious concerns over the length of time we are taking to do what we said we would do.

Romanov must be judged by what he does, not by what he says.

:gangsta:

Right now he is doing **** all therefore he is 'JUDGED' as a lying arsehole.

Commander Harris
Has he though? Who made the decision on Velicka, Audrey etc? They have a baring on selection and haven't there been a few dubious subs in recent games too? Similar with formations.

Shaggy is doing a good job but I don't believe Romanov has removed himself completely from the team, possibly influence via Anatoli.

I suppose only a couple of people would know that for sure, I agreed that frail obviously doesn't have control over who comes and goes and that this (obviously) has a bearing on who is available for selection. I still believe that we have seen something from Frail that is totally different to the Romanov way - consistency in selection for example - and that he has control over the areas mentioned in the statement - tactics, selection, substitutions etc.

Commander Harris
True. i agree it's good Vlad appears to have realised that picking the team himself was insane.

But that doesn't change the fact that the person currently doing the job isn't qualified or experienced enough to do the job, and doesn't fulfill the criteria even our own board have for a manager.

Given our current custodians track record, I have serious concerns over the length of time we are taking to do what we said we would do.

agreed. I just wanted to highlight the positive changes that have taken place as they are often overlooked.

Guest JamboRobbo
agreed that frail obviously doesn't have control over who comes and goes and that this (obviously) has a bearing on who is available for selection.

And yet we were assured he would have.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1203369,00.html

If a Manager is not appointed within the current transfer window' date=' will you trust and follow up on Stephen Frail's recommendations regarding transfer targets?

[/b'] Yes

Commander Harris

he doesn't have control but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are not "following up on his recommendations". Who's to say he didn't recommend that we re-sign Ksanavicius ;)

as for the statement, the only thing it said about Frail is that he would be responsible "for team selection and coaching of the first team squad." not buying and selling players.

MM in the summer! For that, I'm prepared to wait.

I think the Commander is right also, the important step has been made with Vlad staying away from team selections.

Disclaimer: I know nothing or have heard nothing re MM. Just trying to be a glass half full optimist!

The Mighty Thor

My take on it is this;

It was a very, very smart move to make the announcement just as the transfer window opened. Unrest was rife, the support was starting to unify against him, and the announcement which was deliberately vague has given Romanov an open-ended stay of execution.

The announcement also negated the need for any activity in the Jan window as any 'new man' would want to select his own players.

Furthermore it quite nicely drove a wedge amongst the wider support as it gave those of a fairly gullible disposition the easy buy-in to see it as a positive move, thereby diluting the unrest to the point of inaction.

Romanov or his advisors are far from stupid and certainly appear to be able to pull the strings fairly easily on the majority of our support with a few glib words.

As pointed out in one of the posts above look at VR's (in)actions rather than his (Charlie Mann's) words.

For the record i think he's a lying toe-rag.

By The Light..

The announcement was what we all wanted to hear.

Since 1st Jan we have played 12, won 5 , lost 5, drawn 2, goals for 12 against 17.

No players in and some out, one through the cat-flap after the window shut :rolleyes:

If we were serious about wanting a manager with British experience there would a Q half way down dalry road.

Since Burley and Anderton left this is the fourth search for a manager Vlad has undertaken.

Only the first resulted in a manager outwith Vlad's network. And even that choice was hugely controversial in a negative way, and factually speaking was a bargain basement appointment of a desperate man who hasnt been given a similar gig since

Since then there have been three other apparent searches - when Valdas was interim, when Shaggy and AK were interim, and now. You could argue there was the suggestion of another search when Malofeev was interim.

Whatever the case how can anyone have any faith in the current proceedings.

I just cant understand how anyone can read my FACTUAL summary of the management position since Burley left and defend Vlad

How the hell can anyone defend that?

I look forward to hearing it.

It was a lie.

All it meant was that Angel was getting punted and Frail was getting the 'managers' job, and then VR could go back to doing what he wanted.

Anyone who thinks we're getting a manager is either stupid, or just completely desperate - we all want to believe that we'll get a manager, but deep down i think we all know it wont happen while VR is here.

pennantjambo

If Vlad is deliberately stringing us along until the end of the season in order to get "his man" and Frail is being used to keep the seat warm, then I dont have a problem with this so long as the candidate is of some note and deserves to manage us and more importantly really wants to be here because he thinks he can take us somewhere, and of course we are delighted with his appointment.

This situation is crap for Shaggy but he's been here long enough to know that the managers name on the tracksuit is stuck on with velcro.

For example if it were McGhee, or someone else we get who would like nothing better than ramming it up the OF every time we played them then I'd settle for a summer appointment quite happily.

Although he would'nt admit it I think someone is briefing Vlad on what the supporters say and think, hence the decision to give Frail a trial at being gaffer. And guess what? to a certain extent it works, even JKB has went through a relatively harmonic period, the fans got their wish and as a result got off the players backs and results without any great surprise have improved.

It wont be overly exciting but I think we can grind out a decent end to the season and if we finish fifth but still one place above the hobos then that'll do for me.

Anyone who thinks we're getting a manager is either stupid, or just completely desperate - we all want to believe that we'll get a manager, but deep down i think we all know it wont happen while VR is here.

The fact that we are even having to have a debate about it is indicative of the complete shambles we are

I am prepared to wait until the summer to bring in the right man but if they have kept us waiting until then and bring in some no-mark then that would be fatal in the eyes of many Hearts fans.

There is no doubt that Frail is picking the team, results have improved but I am sure he he would admit that he is not the right man for the job.

If Hearts are waiting until the end of the season to make their move for manager who may be contracted elsewhere then I do not have a problem with that.

Season ends in around 9 weeks so I bloody hope they are making inroads already.

I am prepared to wait until the summer to bring in the right man but if they have kept us waiting until then and bring in some no-mark then that would be fatal in the eyes of many Hearts fans.

There is no doubt that Frail is picking the team, results have improved but I am sure he he would admit that he is not the right man for the job.

If Hearts are waiting until the end of the season to make their move for manager who may be contracted elsewhere then I do not have a problem with that.

thet're not though, and Charlie ***** admitted as much

Let's Look at the actual statement.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1203369,00.html

The Board of Heart of Midlothian Football Club (Hearts) has begun the search for a football manager to fill the current vacant post at Tynecastle.

Many people presumed hat the transfer window represented a deadline but no timescale is specified. And because our recent form is reasonably good (W5, D1, L2) I can't see any great reason to hurry.

The manager, who will have full responsibility for team selection, will be an experienced football manager and will preferably have experience of management in British football.

We can't evaluate a new manager's experience until he arrives but if they were willing to accept an inexperienced candidate then surely they'd have got one by now.

The new manager will work with sport director Anatoly Korobochka and assistant head coach Stephen Frail.

I see no reason to doubt either of these. The fact that Frail has been given the interim job suggests that the board have enough regard for him to want to keep him on in some capacity after his temporary term in the big chair. Whether they'd seek to force his assistance on an incoming new boss is another question.

In the interim Stephen Frail will assume the "caretaker manager" role at Hearts with full responsibility for team selection and coaching of the first team squad.

It seems pretty clear that whoever has been responsible for coaching and selection for the last two months has been making a better job of it than whoever was doing it for the previous two. That'll do for now

The Board of Directors of Hearts acknowledges it is not acceptable for Hearts to be in its current position in the league.

Given that the position in question is 10th this is a bit like acknowledging that Jordan is Female.

The new manager's task will be to drive the club forward on the playing side to fulfill the club's ambitions.

As if there's a manger whose task is to hold the club back

The move by the Board of Directors has the full backing of Hearts majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov.

Nobody was been sacked for issuing this statement was issued so I'm inclined to believe it.

So were we lied to?

It's too early to say for sure but plainly something has changed already.

It would certainly appear to me that the essence of the statement (that the grand experiment with a highly unorthodox managerial structure has been deemed to have failed and has been abandoned) is true.

The Mighty Thor

So in that case 2008/9 pre-season probably starts in 14 or 15 weeks time. It's not that long to get things sorted out (if ever they were serious about doing so) as they've had the thick end of 11 weeks sonce the announcement and **** all has happened.

Get mad eddie dusted off, he'll be needed! :eek:

Commander Harris

It would certainly appear to me that the essence of the statement (that the grand experiment with a highly unorthodox managerial structure has been deemed to have failed and has been abandoned) is true.

thanks tc - that was, in essence, what I was trying to say but you have expressed it better. :)

Buffalo Bill

I'd like to think that the person Hearts want is currently in charge of Motherwell and we are just biding our time.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm still 'hopeful' of the future, as opposed to 'certain'.

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo

Agree with a lot of what you say. But I think the essence of the statement was that we'd appoint a manager. We haven't done that as yet.

Frail cannot be that man, as he doesn't fit the criteria that SFA/UEFA have, and he doesn't even fit the criteria layed out by the board of HMFC.

jamboinglasgow
Let's Look at the actual statement.

Many people presumed hat the transfer window represented a deadline but no timescale is specified. And because our recent form is reasonably good (W5, D1, L2) I can't see any great reason to hurry.

We can't evaluate a new manager's experience until he arrives but if they were willing to accept an inexperienced candidate then surely they'd have got one by now.

I see no reason to doubt either of these. The fact that Frail has been given the interim job suggests that the board have enough regard for him to want to keep him on in some capacity after his temporary term in the big chair. Whether they'd seek to force his assistance on an incoming new boss is another question.

It seems pretty clear that whoever has been responsible for coaching and selection for the last two months has been making a better job of it than whoever was doing it for the previous two. That'll do for now

Given that the position in question is 10th this is a bit like acknowledging that Jordan is Female.

As if there's a manger whose task is to hold the club back

Nobody was been sacked for issuing this statement was issued so I'm inclined to believe it.

So were we lied to?

well explained, I am convinced that Romanov has looked at his old style and realised it doesn't work. I feel Hearts are waiting for a manager now as he must be tied into a contract. THe reason CM said no one had been interviewed is that would consitute tapping up if he had said so and this person was already tied to another club. I reckon informal talks have taken place with managers who have not long on contracts.

However if by the time of the first few friendlys of the pre-season there is no new manager then even i will be going mental at Romanov. He has set up his own Gallows and if he does not come true with the statement by the summer then it is himself who has hung himself.

I'd like to think that the person Hearts want is currently in charge of Motherwell and we are just biding our time.

Buffalo Bill

He is defo interested but wants full control (thats a laugh).

Buffalo Bill

One of the reasons the madman says nothing is because he wants us all to speculate about the great talent he may be looking at and generate interest in the club, maybe sell some season tickets.

The truth is that no manager in their right mind would want to come and work for him. Mc Gee has proved himself as a good manager at Motherwell what extra would he get from coming to Hearts?

The guy would be off his trolley moving to another SPL club when he would obviuosly do better elsewhere.

Obviously the Decisions to sell Velicka and extend Audrey's contract were not made solely by Frail. It would be bizarre if they were. These decisions are financial as well as sporting. It's not as if Craig Levein and Gordon Strachan independantly agreed the Barry Robson deal and then told Thomson and Desmond about it.

Obviously this means that those running the business side have had an influence on the sporting side but that is a phenomoenom inherrent in the very concept of professional sport.

As for the observations that there have been a few dubious subs or poor choices of formations. It's quite possible to have bad decisions made (or more to the point decisions that appear bad with hindsight) without the aid of a fax machine. We certainly saw these things from time to time before 2005 Jefferies' continued persistance with Gary Locke regardless of form sticks in my mind along with Sandy Clark's entire managerial career.

There was a series of knee jerk responses to the Rangers match holding it up as evidence of interference in the team ignoring the fact that it was an unchanged starting line up from the victory against Motherwell.

You seem to be falling into the same kind of trap.

No action taken on the January 1st statement.

No sign of the AGM being held despite the last date of 29 February having come ond gone.

No progress on the new stand development.

No sign of Romanov in Edinburgh since last November.

No sign of the Ukio Bankas branch in Edinburgh opening.

Velicka gone and rumours of one of bright stars for the future to follow suit.

My view is that the VR has definetely lost interest and that he may have a new toy to play with.

God, I'm depressed now.

I must admit myself that it's not looking good on a number of fronts at Hearts just now.

In relation to the 01 01 08 statement, I never bought into it although it was nice to see some recognition of our predicament.

I really fear that they themselves don't know what their next move is. If that is the case then next season will be *****! Worse than 07/08. :rolleyes:

I have tried to be positive about things but it aint looking good when you hear of more & more who aren't going to renew. It seems that most fans are thinking in unison regarding the running of the club.

Balls.

Gigolo-Aunt

Summer time is when I "Believe" VR had changed his tune. Do think he has butted out of picking the team since the statement.

Just hope we can bring in someone who gives the whole club a lift. Frail has done well, and I thank him for his work - jut dont think he is the man to take us to where we want to be.

Will buy my season ticket though, each person has their own decison on that.

Agree with a lot of what you say. But I think the essence of the statement was that we'd appoint a manager. We haven't done that as yet.

I'd say that, in context, the important part statement was the way the new managers role was being defined. That the next move would be a definite break from what had been going on before. The statement said a lot more about what kind of applicant they were after than what timescale they were working to.

Or in other words

If they appoint McGhee (for example) in the summer and give him the conventional level of autonomy then they weren't lying

If they'd already appointed a manager who didn't speak english in February then they would have been.

Which is why I said

Obviously it's possible that the whole thing was a bit of PR flimflam and the turnaround in the teams fortune was just down to our previously rotten luck reversing.

It's also possible that the statement was a true statement of the position at the time but Vlad will change his mind and have one more shot at getting the experiment to work.

But I don't think so

You seem to be falling into the same kind of trap.

No, just going with the old adage that a leopard doesn't change it's spots. Romanov shows me a proper experienced manager and I'll be all aboard but as time drags and ST renewal looms I'm increasing doubtful this will happen, just as I'm entirely doubtful he has pulled entirely out of team matters.

I'd also think that if no manager is appointed immediately after the end of the season and the summer drags on we will not see one at all. I hope to be completely wrong and we're just waiting on the day but with Hearts erring on the side of pessimism is usually correct.

Francis Albert

Really?

You missed out the bit about us not having won a game this year and being in the depths of a relegation dog-fight.

No action taken on the January 1st statement.

I believe the man they want will be in place at the end of the season.

No sign of the AGM being held despite the last date of 29 February having come ond gone.

I think this will be held fairly soon.

Planning application submitted (progress) - ball now firmly in Council's court. What more can the club do at this time?

No sign of Romanov in Edinburgh since last November.

True but that doesn't have much bearing on results, does it?

No sign of the Ukio Bankas branch in Edinburgh opening.

Can't see how that impacts on HMFC at all.

Velicka gone and rumours of one of bright stars for the future to follow suit.

Velicka was never our player but we'll defo miss him - good piece of business for FBK. Depends on how good the lad really is - divided opinion on here.

My view is that the VR has definetely lost interest and that he may have a new toy to play with.

God, I'm depressed now.

DD, I think you are causing yourself to be depressed - no need!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I certainly think he has stopped picking the team, it's no coincidence this has seen a run of good form and I hope he has finally realised that he isn't qualified to do this.

The sale of Velicka and the resigning of Audrey indicates that he is well and truly in charge of transfers.

A manager won't accept this and I really don't believe we have been in contact with anyone.

McGhee will never come if he can't pick his own men.

Stevie Frail will get the gig, that's my gut feeling.

Auld Reekin'
Right now he is doing **** all therefore he is 'JUDGED' as a lying arsehole.

:Agree::icon14:

I believe that Shaggy picks the team and makes the subs. I think Romanov, after losing 5 games on the trot, has finally come round to the fact that he doesn't know jack-sh|t about football management.

I also believe that the manager situation is 'make or break' for the relationship between the fans and Romanov. If he doesn't deliver a competant manager and leave him alone to get on with it by the start of the season he will have massive demos outside Tynecastle as soon as the season starts.

After issuing that statement, if he was to go back on it he would lose the trust of 100% of Hearts fans and I doubt he'd ever get it back.

As far as I'm concerned No manager = No season ticket.

Today's signing of Audrey just shows nothing changed. The Jan 1 message was a con, and it worked for about 4 weeks.

I can see Hearts heading the same way as Gretna.

We can see the emperor has no clothes on.

Archived