Oxgangs

Hound

My Parents still stay up in Oxgangs in the Farm Avenue and it’s still a great place I was born and bred there and bought my 1st house in the Farm Drive, ended up moving to the Hailes when I met my Wife to say it’s worse than Broomhouse is surely a piss take ??

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Governor Tarkin

• The Real Maroonblood

• jake

15 hours ago, stew mc said:

Kick start this thread. By the looks of it, no comments from anyone of note. 

Bar ox, ymbo where and always wlll be a top mob. 

Hobos, hearts whatever the Ox came first. 

Ftb

🤣 

Top mob 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Bit of a long shot, but i used to work beside a guy in General Register Office called Jim Flynn who stayed in Oxgangs and used to go fishing with him. I havent seen him in about 20 years. Think his wife was called Lily. He had a son and daughter. He must be about early 70s now. Anyone know him. Cheers

Always liked Oxgangs.

My beloved, Hearts mad, Nan lived there. Stayed and spent a lot of time there in the 1970's/early '80's. I remember BAR-OX painted on a wee outbuilding where Greenbank ended and Oxgangs Avenue began. Wondered for years what it meant. Also remember the Catholic church (St. Marks?), the wee precinct of shops near the tower blocks and the chippy at the end of the long walk through Oxgangs Drive. A street that appeared to be 100% concrete.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm a Royston/West Pilton lad. No comment on Oxgangs as I've hardly ever been there.

Not a bad area. Good community spirit.

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Oxgangs Drive. A street that appeared to be 100% concrete.

It does rather resemble East Berlin from the 1960's.

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Bit of a long shot, but i used to work beside a guy in General Register Office called Jim Flynn who stayed in Oxgangs and used to go fishing with him. I havent seen him in about 20 years. Think his wife was called Lily. He had a son and daughter. He must be about early 70s now. Anyone know him. Cheers

I think I know his kids in passing but not the chap himself.

I can only just remember the wee barbers in Oxgangs Broadway.  My mum occasionally took me there for a haircut. The barber himself had a nickname which eludes me at the minute. I do remember though that no matter which ‘style’ you asked for, every haircut was the same!

Just remembered as I was typing here, my dentist was in Oxgangs for a couple of years, a wee practice beside the first 27  bus stop after the terminus, outside the Good Companions.

12 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Don’t know your pal, Cairney, but was wondering if you knew either Helen Borthwick or John Mackay?

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I can only just remember the wee barbers in Oxgangs Broadway.  My mum occasionally took me there for a haircut. The barber himself had a nickname which eludes me at the minute. I do remember though that no matter which ‘style’ you asked for, every haircut was the same!

Just remembered as I was typing here, my dentist was in Oxgangs for a couple of years, a wee practice beside the first 27  bus stop after the terminus, outside the Good Companions.

Was the barbers called sideburns or something? I mind him if it was he was shite.

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Was the barbers called sideburns or something? I mind him if it was he was shite.

Sideburns doesn’t ring a bell, Herbert.

Just now, Morgan said:

Sideburns doesn’t ring a bell, Herbert.

I got dragged in one next to a bakers when I was a boy and I'm sure that was the name. 

11 minutes ago, Herbert said:

It was sideburns. Went in to there for many a haircut myself. Had two big posters on his wall, one of a Hibs harp battering a Jam Tart and one of a Jam Tart battering the harp?

14 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I got dragged in one next to a bakers when I was a boy and I'm sure that was the name. 

11 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

It was sideburns. Went in to there for many a haircut myself. Had two big posters on his wall, one of a Hibs harp battering a Jam Tart and one of a Jam Tart battering the harp?

Must have been it’s name after the times I went there then.

The place I recall was not called Sideburns.

Cairneyhill Jambo
29 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t know your pal, Cairney, but was wondering if you knew either Helen Borthwick or John Mackay?

John Mackay was my boss. I think Helen was a librarian if I remember correctly. 

I worked on the public counter. 

30 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

John Mackay was my boss. I think Helen was a librarian if I remember correctly. 

I worked on the public counter. 

I knew John from years ago, rugby player.

Helen was the wife of a friend of mine called Alan. She was a Librarian/Curatorial If my memory serves me well.

On 17/08/2019 at 13:06, violater said:

My Parents still stay up in Oxgangs in the Farm Avenue and it’s still a great place I was born and bred there and bought my 1st house in the Farm Drive, ended up moving to the Hailes when I met my Wife to say it’s worse than Broomhouse is surely a piss take ??

I also bought my first flat in Ocgangs Farm Drive. 

Brought up in Oxgangs Terrace and had lots of happy memories from childhood. 

Had the odd bam kicking about but generally a decent folk.

Theres an amazing facebook page with loads of old pics dating back to when houses were beginning to be built etc. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

😫  Mrs Warwick, the butcher of Oxgangs.

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

😫  Mrs Warwick, the butcher of Oxgangs.

Thought you might appear!

Miss Hazel Warwick, I think. 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The barbers is called Sideburns now.    It's run by a father & son.   Both Hibs fans and total slavers.     

Thanks.

I knew it wasn’t that name 100 years ago!

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks.

I knew it wasn’t that name 100 years ago!

A while back,  another barbers opened up two units along from them.   They were raging.    :)    I pretended to be gutted for them.     

I was shot at with an air rifle from the high flats at Oxgangs whist playing Sunday league football on the pitches up there.

1980's eh. Football was a mans game in them days

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Was your dentist Miss Freeman?

35 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Neil Berry is from Oxgangs, bitches!

And his brother, Keith (Beefy).

Unknown user
35 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Neil Berry is from Oxgangs, bitches!

Well that ends the debate - Oxgangs, truly the Jewel in Edinburgh's Crown.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned, but it's named after an old unit of measurement, the oxgang, which was the amount of land one ox could work per annual season

Just now, Smithee said:

Don't know if anyone's mentioned, but it's named after an old unit of measurement, the oxgang, which was the amount of land one ox could work per annual season

Aye, someone started a thread about it recently

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

Salon Glenroy was next to the bakers down by the high flats.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I was shot at with an air rifle from the high flats at Oxgangs whist playing Sunday league football on the pitches up there.

1980's eh. Football was a mans game in them days

:jjyay:

It wasn't unusual to have three or four snipers all on different balconies.

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Salon Glenroy was next to the bakers down by the high flats.

That was the bottom shops. I cant even mind there being a bakers there. It was always just a shop either end and the salon.

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Herbert said:

That was the bottom shops. I cant even mind there being a bakers there. It was always just a shop either end and the salon.

The bakers was Cruikshanks.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

I live at Colinton Mains - very neighbourly and all the kids out playing in a safe environment - does help that I live in a cul de sac with lots of grass etc 

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The bakers was Cruikshanks.

Must have been before I was there just had a look around on Google maps and the bottom shops dont exist anymore, even my school is gone. The place is unrecognisable.

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I live at Colinton Mains - very neighbourly and all the kids out playing in a safe environment - does help that I live in a cul de sac with lots of grass etc 

I must walk past your house on the way home from Tesco.

You probably hear the wine bottles clinking as I go.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:jjyay:

It wasn't unusual to have three or four snipers all on different balconies.

I seem to remember one of our players celebrating a goal by jumping in the burn too

Over the years did any of the infamous Bar’Ox go to Merchiston Castle School?  

Seems quite a posh area, got an Aldi and all that, ken....

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

The barbers is called Sideburns now.    It's run by a father & son.   Both Hibs fans and total slavers.     

Never a truer word said.

Governor Tarkin
31 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Used to pick magic mushrooms on their rugby pitches if that counts as going.

49 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

That's one of the most exclusive schools in Scotland so I believe it is unlikely to be educating one or more of the residents of Oxgangs.

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's one of the most exclusive schools in Scotland so I believe it is unlikely to be educating one or more of the residents of Oxgangs.

Very true.  

I've been in Merchiston Castle School.    Played a school chess match there for Forries.    Won my match.    Checkmate... ya *****.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I've been in Merchiston Castle School.    Played a school chess match there for Forries.    Won my match.    Checkmate... ya *****.

Did you deliberately miss the pan when you went for a pish?