Oxgangs

Hound

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

I spent the early part of my life growing up in Oxgangs moved away and came back. Now live close by in the posh houses. 😂

Oxgangs was a great place to grow up it was a place that always filled me with excitement growing up there was always stuff to do. Remember 15 aside football matches at Hunter Tryst pitch. Graduating into hanging about the chippy and going to the Com. 

Going on tour with Fat Fergie (RIP) and his group of nutters terrorising   Wester Hailes, Colvenstone etc. 

Oxgangs had had its fair share of Hibs casuals, still does have a few ageing fattys that think they are still 19.

My generation were mostly Hearts fans. It’s a weird place it seams to go through generations as there groups of fans from both sides some generations were Hobos. I agree with a previous comment football never really came into it Bar -OX came first. We stuck together it used to feel like our part of the city and we all defended it from any invaders.  

I agree it looks tired in parts parts these days. Especially down the bottom. 

Still miss the top chippy it was always the best. Merdos at the Broadway is ok though. Wee Bundy at bottom chippy seems  to have worked there my whole life. 

You can take to boy out Oxgangs, but you can’t take Oxgangs out the boy. 

Whatever became of the chippy called Marios?  Wasn’t always the safest place to stop off for a poke of chips!  :lol:  

We didn't live in Oxgangs but stopped off in my dads car for chips sometimes and it was like running the gauntlet, especially on.a Friday and Saturday night.

Perhaps that was longer ago than you are talking about?

Edited by Morgan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Governor Tarkin

• The Real Maroonblood

• jake

I spent the early part of my life growing up in Oxgangs moved away and came back. Now live close by in the posh houses. 😂

Oxgangs was a great place to grow up it was a place that always filled me with excitement growing up there was always stuff to do. Remember 15 aside football matches at Hunter Tryst pitch. Graduating into hanging about the chippy and going to the Com. 

Going on tour with Fat Fergie (RIP) and his group of nutters terrorising   Wester Hailes, Colvenstone etc. 

Oxgangs had had its fair share of Hibs casuals, still does have a few ageing fattys that think they are still 19.

My generation were mostly Hearts fans. It’s a weird place it seams to go through generations as there groups of fans from both sides some generations were Hobos. I agree with a previous comment football never really came into it Bar -OX came first. We stuck together it used to feel like our part of the city and we all defended it from any invaders.  

Still miss the top chippy it was always the best. Merdos at the Broadway is ok though. Wiee Bundy at bottom chippy seems  to have worked there my whole life. 

I'm guessing you are in your mid 50s?

I remember bar ox coming down to Wester Hailes about 30 or so boys.

You all congregated about my bit just down from where the 30 terminus was.

My old dear started shouting at yooz and fair play you moved on.

I was a bairn at the time or I'd have went ahead with yeez.

😐 

😄

The Treasurer
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:09, Morgan said:

I can only just remember the wee barbers in Oxgangs Broadway.  My mum occasionally took me there for a haircut. The barber himself had a nickname which eludes me at the minute. I do remember though that no matter which ‘style’ you asked for, every haircut was the same!

Just remembered as I was typing here, my dentist was in Oxgangs for a couple of years, a wee practice beside the first 27  bus stop after the terminus, outside the Good Companions.

We used to refer to him as Ben Tomahawk.

You could have any style you liked, as long as it was a short back and nae sides.

Ben was about 70 when I used to get scalped there, but you took your life in your hands if you got his older assistant. You had to count your ears when you left just to make sure !!!!

The Treasurer
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:31, Morgan said:

No, it was a Miss Warwick.

I remember she was almost permanently pregnant (usually by a different guy each time) !!!

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

We used to refer to him as Ben Tomahawk.

You could have any style you liked, as long as it was a short back and nae sides.

Ben was about 70 when I used to get scalped there, but you took your life in your hands if you got his older assistant. You had to count your ears when you left just to make sure !!!!

Tomahawk!

That’s it,

No wonder I still get called ‘one ear’ to this very day.

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

I remember she was almost permanently pregnant (usually by a different guy each time) !!!

And you know this, how?  :lol: 

Personal experience?

:oohmatron:

The Treasurer
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:41, Ron Burgundy said:

I got her if Mr Russell was off. Both horrific.

That butcher smashed two of my teeth when the drill slipped (I think he was pissed). What made it worse was he didn't believe in "modern" ideas like anaesthetic :24_shocked:

Ron Burgundy
55 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

That butcher smashed two of my teeth when the drill slipped (I think he was pissed). What made it worse was he didn't believe in "modern" ideas like anaesthetic :24_shocked:

Correct, I had fillings as a child but had my first ever anaesthetic jag for a filling when I was about 26.

I skipped dentists from the age of 15 til then due to a fear of the buggers.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Still miss the top chippy it was always the best. Merdos at the Broadway is ok though. Wee Bundy at bottom chippy seems  to have worked there my whole life. 

We must know each other reasonably well. 😀

17 hours ago, jake said:

I'm guessing you are in your mid 50s?

I remember bar ox coming down to Wester Hailes about 30 or so boys.

You all congregated about my bit just down from where the 30 terminus was.

My old dear started shouting at yooz and fair play you moved on.

I was a bairn at the time or I'd have went ahead with yeez.

😐

😄

Forty’s 

What was the Fat Fergie story? Always remember seeing "Fergie Fat Grass" spray painted all over the place. 

I remember being a wee boy and absolutely shitting my pants walking past all the radges hanging about the Chip Inn. 

I grew up in Oxgangs Terrace and I have mostly fond memories from my childhood. Seemed to know everyone in my street. Miss those days :(

Not sure if he grassed David Bobby when he committed a murder. My memory from back then is hazy.

Basically David Bobby stabbed Paul Sheldon to death on Whitehouse Loan Paul Archibald was also accused and turned Queen’s evidence against Bobby. Not sure if the fat man also grassed.

Fat Fergie hung himself from a tree behind his house. Archibald then vanished / hiding. 

Bunch of crazy boys that crew. 

4 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Not sure if he grassed David Bobby when he committed a murder. My memory from back then is hazy.

Basically David Bobby stabbed Paul Sheldon to death on Whitehouse Loan Paul Archibald was also accused and turned Queen’s evidence against Bobby. Not sure if the fat man also grassed.

Fat Fergie hung himself from a tree behind his house. Archibald then vanished / hiding. 

I remember Bobby.  He stayed in the Calders for a while, opposite square from where I lived.

Before it hit the papers about his crime the last thing I saw him do was get into a scrap in the canteen queue at Telford College. Guy was a bam. 

Governor Tarkin
On 23/08/2019 at 09:18, spirt of 98 said:

It's not often I call for a bit of censorship on Kickback but I'll do it this time. 

Fergie's laddie is amongst us and he's a different sort of boy. It would be unfair for the son to have to re-tread the crimes of the father on an internet forum.

Lets stop it there. Please.

Bobby was in the shed the night we turned over Bayern. He's not a mate anymore but he's back amongst us, for better or for worse. Again, prob best we stop it there.

On 23/08/2019 at 14:07, Debut 4 said:

I remember Bobby.  He stayed in the Calders for a while, opposite square from where I lived.

Before it hit the papers about his crime the last thing I saw him do was get into a scrap in the canteen queue at Telford College. Guy was a bam. 

Aye. I remember that one too.

On 25/08/2019 at 21:15, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not often I call for a bit of censorship on Kickback but I'll do it this time. 

Fergie's laddie is amongst us and he's a different sort of boy. It would be unfair for the son to have to re-tread the crimes of the father on an internet forum.

Lets stop it there. Please.

Bobby was in the shed the night we turned over Bayern. He's not a mate anymore but he's back amongst us, for better or for worse. Again, prob best we stop it there.

Aye. I remember that one too.

Bit weird Bobby being in the shed as he’s a Hibby! 

Governor Tarkin

Bit weird Bobby being in the shed as he’s a Hibby! 

He wasn't at the time.

I was thinking about this today.

All my life I’ve known ‘Bar-Ox’.  Until this thread I’ve never given any thought as to what it means. The ‘Ox’ bit is obviously short for Oxgangs but, does anyone know what the ‘Bar’ bit means?

Thanks

kawasakijambo
16 hours ago, Morgan said:

All my life I’ve known ‘Bar-Ox’.  Until this thread I’ve never given any thought as to what it means. The ‘Ox’ bit is obviously short for Oxgangs but, does anyone know what the ‘Bar’ bit means?

Thanks

Barricade, I think

12 hours ago, jake said:

I've never got that.

Turn coats.

Agreed, Jake.

Once you have a team, it should never be changed.

indianajones
17 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks

Always under the impression it meant barry. 

7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Always under the impression it meant barry. 

:sadrobbo: S’pose it could be, Indy.  Not something though that would have come to my mind though.

indianajones
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

:sadrobbo: S’pose it could be, Indy.  Not something though that would have come to my mind though.

Grew up in oxgangs although maybe a few years after the bar ox hayday. Sure I must have heard/read it somewhere. 

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks

It was a bit of a piss take originally. A play on the notorious weegie Bar-L gang that was 'fashionable' in the '60s.

Just a bit of a laugh that grew arms and legs.

It was also the name of a local copper, apparently.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was a bit of a piss take originally. A play on the notorious weegie Bar-L gang that was 'fashionable' in the '60s.

Just a bit of a laugh that grew arms and legs.

It was also the name of a local copper, apparently.

Thanks, Gov.

I had a sneaky wee feeling that you would know.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks, Gov.

I had a sneaky wee feeling that you would know.

👍

It was well before my time, Morg', but my old man and his chums were amongst the originals.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍

It was well before my time, Morg', but my old man and his chums were amongst the originals.

Are you talking late 60’s/early 70’s?

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As one of my mates was a founder member of Bar Ox the Bar was named after Barlinnie as in Bar L.

Weegie barstewards

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct.

I cant believe this thread has generated so much interest for a mob that's a bit girlie.

🙂

• 4 years later...
marina martinez alvaro
On 18/08/2019 at 01:09, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Bit of a long shot, but i used to work beside a guy in General Register Office called Jim Flynn who stayed in Oxgangs and used to go fishing with him. I havent seen him in about 20 years. Think his wife was called Lily. He had a son and daughter. He must be about early 70s now. Anyone know him. Cheers

Hi! I am Marina, I am Jim's neighbor at Oxgangs and he is with me atm. He says he is 77 and still fishing! He is asking for your name. Cheers!