'Gruelling Pre-Season ahead for the players

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

My link

and as for people who claim they are in the know rattling of statements like 'the players report back july 7th'

july 10th ya ******s!

Radioactive Mince

Quite right. My mother works beside BB's brother or something (I never really listen when women speak) and apparently this person said that the HMFC squad was the most unfit one they'd seen. With Laszlo at the helm I'm pretty certain that training would've been more verbal than physical.

Mince

Can't really imagine that Nade would have enjoyed any such prospect, regardless of the fact that the "food's excellent". Gone are the days of wearing heavy wool jerseys and running up the dunes at Gullane.

linkin- hearts

Dammit got all excited when i saw our team mentioned on SSN but it was just confirming the training camp in Tuscany story. Bah:angry:

The Treasurer

My link

and as for people who claim they are in the know rattling of statements like 'the players report back july 7th'

july 10th ya ******s!

If you read things properly you'd see they do report back on the 7th

ya fanni

ya fanni

Yep. It seems people who claim to be 'in the know' are actually on this occasion 'in the know'. Such a fail on the OP's part.

ya fanni

:lol:

So they re start training on 7th of July, thats a fairly long break very interesting

So when our nearest rivals are getting humiliated in Europe, Hearts will be getting stronger, fitter and 100% ready for the new season.

HEARTS manager Jim Jefferies has warned his players they face a gruelling pre-season training camp as he bids to knock them into shape for the new campaign.

Jefferies will take his squad to his favoured summer base at Il Ciocco in Tuscany for a seven-day stay beginning on 10 July.

The players will endure double training sessions each day and a local closed-door friendly match has also been pencilled in to round off the week.

"It's a place I know very well and the facilities are superb," Jefferies told Hearts News.

"The folk are very friendly and the food's excellent as well. I took Hearts there the last time I was here and also went a number of times with Kilmarnock. It's an ideal base for a pre-season training camp and we'll be working the boys hard, that is assured. One thing's for sure ? the players will be fit by the time the season starts."

Howdy Doody Jambo

Maybe why we have had one of the worst ever injury lists over the last few seasons is because of our pre-season training schedules most of our squad being out for spells with niggles , muscle pulls etc that seem to take months to clear up , foreign managers not knowing the requirements and demands of the physical Scottish style of football , one thing JJ & BB will know what is required in order to get the squad match fit

A good pre-season will help us get of to a flyer .

Dalstonjambo

Maybe why we have had one of the worst ever injury lists over the last few seasons is because of our pre-season training schedules most of our squad being out for spells with niggles , muscle pulls etc that seem to take months to clear up , foreign managers not knowing the requirements and demands of the physical Scottish style of football , one thing JJ & BB will know what is required in order to get the squad match fit

A good pre-season will help us get of to a flyer .

No physical demands to the flair football your team play though is there? HOOOOOOOOOOF :whistling:

The Treasurer

One thing that could never be said about our team previously under JJ was that they lacked fitness.

The current squad always look to be running out of steam during the 2nd half of matches.

Looks like this will not happen next season.

Guest JamboRobbo

Can't really imagine that Nade would have enjoyed any such prospect, regardless of the fact that the "food's excellent". Gone are the days of wearing heavy wool jerseys and running up the dunes at Gullane.

Might've been just what he needed though.

Think JJ will sort out the fitness for next season no probs.

Gullane sands would ensure fitness throughout the season (as it did before) with the threat of a mid-season top up if we are playing badly. Players who fail to look after themselves during the close season risk violent sickness. It would certainly breed a more concentrated attitude. Jock Wallace during his times at Hearts and Rangers and Hearts took his players there and they didn't lack stamina whatever else could be said against them.

Francis Albert

If I remember rightly the Gullane sands pretty much did for Willie Hamilton. But since we don't have any unfit geniuses in our squad that's not a worry.

Quite right. My mother works beside BB's brother or something (I never really listen when women speak) and apparently this person said that the HMFC squad was the most unfit one they'd seen. With Laszlo at the helm I'm pretty certain that training would've been more verbal than physical.

Mince

True true.

Apparently Csaba only did tactical training. He'd basically choose his team on the Monday and they'd spend the rest of the week working on shape and nothing else. The only physical thing they'd do would be Tam Ritchie's warm up and warm down and i've been told that certain players would just wonder off when they'd had enough, leaving the younger and more diligent lads to get on with it in bewilderment.

Can't be coincedence that that type of set up ran alonside our largest ever (maybe SPL's largest) injury list - 18 players out at one stage i think

Jim'll get them in shape nae doobt aboot that!!

Gone are the days of wearing heavy wool jerseys and running up the dunes at Gullane.

They should be brought back though. I am sure Jefferies took the squad along there at the start of the 97/98 season and it worked a treat!!

Either that or I always thought that previous squads should have been taken up north to Fort William way, and trained at a boot camp with ex Royal Marines to get the fitness levels up. I remember reading that Scott Harrison used to do this to get back into ring condition double quick.

Fingers crossed the training camp actually works this year!

They should be brought back though. I am sure Jefferies took the squad along there at the start of the 97/98 season and it worked a treat!!

Either that or I always thought that previous squads should have been taken up north to Fort William way, and trained at a boot camp with ex Royal Marines to get the fitness levels up. I remember reading that Scott Harrison used to do this to get back into ring condition double quick.

Fingers crossed the training camp actually works this year!

why not put them through full SAS training or make them run marathons each day of the week until one player dies of exhaustion therefore disposing of the weakest link.

OR

we could send them to a training camp that jj likes and trusts and get them fit enough to compete at spl level.

why not put them through full SAS training or make them run marathons each day of the week until one player dies of exhaustion therefore disposing of the weakest link.

OR

we could send them to a training camp that jj likes and trusts and get them fit enough to compete at spl level.

Wow, over reaction post of the week goes to you johnjl. :teehee:

You're right though, in JJ we trust with the training camp, never hurt the other Hearts or Kille teams he had out there. Merely suggesting that previous hearts squads could have done with the extra fitness training at the start of the year, and I would imagine this seasons past would prove that. They are professional athletes and should be able to handle that bit extra, not saying put them through proper marine training, just get a couple of ex marines to take them out on a hike/jog with the bivvy bags and rucksacks. Never harmed the Motherwell team when they did it last year (or was it the year before?) apart from a few nasty midgie bites.

You're right though, in JJ we trust with the training camp, never hurt the other Hearts or Kille teams he had out there. Merely suggesting that previous hearts squads could have done with the extra fitness training at the start of the year, and I would imagine this seasons past would prove that. They are professional athletes and should be able to handle that bit extra, not saying put them through proper marine training, just get a couple of ex marines to take them out on a hike/jog with the bivvy bags and rucksacks. Never harmed the Motherwell team when they did it last year (or was it the year before?) apart from a few nasty midgie bites.

What a lot of nonsense. So you're saying you want JJ out are you just cos he isn't using the SAS training method???. Have a word!!

cough...

Can i just add that having been up and down in a few times, murder hill is rubbish. I don't like it.

was just having a bit of a laugh. what i would say though is prof. footballers are fitter now than when they were running up and down gullane sands sweating whisky out of every pore.

i do think, judging by what i`ve read, that the current squad needs to be fitter. but gullane or boot camps? i think we are past all that now.

Craig Herbertson

When the oldsters talk of the terrible trio they refer back to the superb fitness of the team. It just makes all the difference. Roll on the next season.

What a lot of nonsense. So you're saying you want JJ out are you just cos he isn't using the SAS training method???. Have a word!!

cough...

Can i just add that having been up and down in a few times, murder hill is rubbish. I don't like it.

Not too sure how to take that given the lack of a few helpful smilies to set the tone. :unsure:

When the oldsters talk of the terrible trio they refer back to the superb fitness of the team. It just makes all the difference. Roll on the next season.

i don`t care what they say. footballers are fitter in the modern day than they ever have been. maybe not nade though.

jamboinglasgow

was just having a bit of a laugh. what i would say though is prof. footballers are fitter now than when they were running up and down gullane sands sweating whisky out of every pore.

i do think, judging by what i`ve read, that the current squad needs to be fitter. but gullane or boot camps? i think we are past all that now.

I remember hearing a few times that things have changed a bit when players come back from hols to pre-season. In the past they needed huge runs each day to get them back into anything resembling just basic shape, but now nearly all clubs will give their players a basic fitness program for their holiday which though not as strenuous as what they would do on a day to day basis in the season, is designed to keep their fitness at a decent level so that they can concentrate on the right things at pre-season rather then a lot of fat and unfit players coming back from hols.

I remember hearing a few times that things have changed a bit when players come back from hols to pre-season. In the past they needed huge runs each day to get them back into anything resembling just basic shape, but now nearly all clubs will give their players a basic fitness program for their holiday which though not as strenuous as what they would do on a day to day basis in the season, is designed to keep their fitness at a decent level so that they can concentrate on the right things at pre-season rather then a lot of fat and unfit players coming back from hols.

think either mcleish or moyes were quoted as saying something similar to this recently.

i don`t care what they say. footballers are fitter in the modern day than they ever have been. maybe not nade though.

This tired old myth gets peddled around all the time although there's no evidence at all to support it. There's this idea that players hardly trained at all back then, most of the time they were in the boozer or the bookies drinking and puffing fags all day. The reality is that most players when they started out back then had hard manual jobs all week, trained in the evenings, and played at the weekends. If they got taken on full-time professional they would be doing at least as much training as their modern-day counterparts, including double sessions. It wouldn't even surprise me if players in Scotland were fitter in general in the 50s than the playstation and nightclub generation are nowadays.

Another urban myth that sometimes gets aired is that players nowadays are more versatile, they don't just play in one position all the time. Completely wrong, early on in their careers before they made the first team players like Wullie Bauld were encouraged to play in every position on the park, including goalkeeper, so that they would learn all aspects of the game.

This tired old myth gets peddled around all the time although there's no evidence at all to support it. There's this idea that players hardly trained at all back then, most of the time they were in the boozer or the bookies drinking and puffing fags all day. The reality is that most players when they started out back then had hard manual jobs all week, trained in the evenings, and played at the weekends. If they got taken on full-time professional they would be doing at least as much training as their modern-day counterparts, including double sessions. It wouldn't even surprise me if players in Scotland were fitter in general in the 50s than the playstation and nightclub generation are nowadays.

Another urban myth that sometimes gets aired is that players nowadays are more versatile, they don't just play in one position all the time. Completely wrong, early on in their careers before they made the first team players like Wullie Bauld were encouraged to play in every position on the park, including goalkeeper, so that they would learn all aspects of the game.

i don`t believe it to be a myth. i have watched plenty of old footage to know that play was much slower then and wasn`t played at the same speed as todays game. players may have been fitter in some ways but there is no way they had the pace or stamina of todays players. not a chance.

as for the second part of your post that may be correct i don`t know enough to comment.

ps. you also mentioned smoking. it is a fact more people smoked in the 50s than now. not very healthy.

OR

Great idea, it will get the wage bill down too.

OR

then scrimming up the ball so no one can see it, fab!!, our defenders lying in a fox hole waiting to ambush an unsuspecting attacker. Happy days.

OR

with our luck our new star striker (if/when we get one) would be the player who dies

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

ya fanni

I hadn't read the official hearts site so how could i possibly have 'not read it properly'

numbnuts.

Archived