"No win, no fee". Anyone any experiences to share?

Diane

"Had an accident that wasn't your fault?"

We've all seen the adverts on TV, and for the first time I'm finding myself in the position of actually wanting to make a claim - or at least make sure the hotel in question takes action to ensure no-one else does the same thing I just did!

Here's the story: Wednesday evening, I'm travelling on business, and arrive in a hotel (which will remain nameless, but is in a very expensive upmarket location near Manchester) at about 7.45pm. Check in, eventually find my room. Open the door to find the room in darkness, walk into the room into a short corridor, turn left into the main part of the room while trying to find the light switch - and simultaneously find the small step downwards into the rest of the room. By going right over on my ankle with a hideous "crack" sound. Find myself in agony in a crumpled heap on the carpet, phone reception, someone comes up with an ice pack, they phone an ambulance, I spend most of Wednesday evening in Macclesfield hospital.

The ligament and bone damage in my ankle means I can't go to work; can't even get up to my own flat (staying at my sister's); probably can't go away on a girls' weekend planned for London next week.

I strongly feel that the hotel is liable, and that the entrance to the room was downright dangerous. Does anyone have any experience in this field? Anyone used any of these folk like the Accident Helpline or Claims Direct? (Somehow they just trigger alarm bells in my head!). Or even if I don't want to make a financial claim, who should I be reporting the hotel to so that their health and safety measures are improved?

Any experiences and advice welcome!

waterlogged

i know of somebody who's bird fell down a hole in the pavement (dont know how deep the hole was) but the just is they went to 1 of those company's who took edin council to court & won but only got a very low fraction of the 'winnings'.

I had a fall at work in september 2004,i got in touch with lawyers in january 2006 and got paid out in september last year,had no fees to pay and considering my injuries werent to severe,my payout was quite reasonable.

Did you use one of these companies that advertises (if so, which one), or just your regular lawyer?

Dirk Diggler
Did you use one of these companies that advertises (if so, which one), or just your regular lawyer?

I'm no expert but your case sounds a strong one.

If I were you I'd be inclined to pay for a Lawyer.

Did you register a complaint with the hotel? Find out what they would offer you etc for compensation?

Let them make an offer. ask for double it .. then see what happens!

my brother is currently going through a personal injuries claim after being jumped and getting his jaw broken. i don't think he's using a no win no fee lawyer but he's not paying a thing as he's on a low income and qualifies for legal aid. his lawyer has told him to expect around ?10k, possibly more as his case is strengthened because his jaw clicks when he eats and got worse after his metal plate was removed due to unforseen problems. its expected to take 2 years from start to finish.

i've got a mate who sued an ex employer with a no win no fee company. they were going to court with a ?100k lawsuit but settled out of court for ten. i don't think he got screwed for too much of the settlement

Rick Grimes

there's two ways these companies can take their cut. 1) they take a percentage of the settlement, 2) they have their fee paid by having the defendant also pay costs.

get one that does the latter

PeterCapital

Just write to the company, they will know they are in the wrong and wont want legal battles. Whatever turn down the first offer. Dont mention compenation just argue the point about lost revenue from work, you have paid to go down south and now have to miss it. You want all the costs back etc and threaten legal action.

(I work in claims)

It depends if you can prove that the hotel has been negligent. the following may be questions you want to use to try and prove the hotel has been negligent

was the light working? If not did the hotel already know this? When was the last time the room was checked/maintained.

Has there been previous complaints regarding the entrace into the rooms, the step going into the room ect.

There is a good chance that any claim you make against the hotel will be passed on to there solicitors/claim handlers...this can be a long process, some injury claims can take a couple of years to reslove. Payout also relates to the injury you substained.

And try and use a solicitor that will not take any % of your payout, if you win your case then your solicitor is entitled to charge the hotel for there costs

You're talking about the Britannia, right?

i was thinking the same the bed is lower than anything else, you step down then have to step up at the other side of the bed,was down there last yr for man u Everton funny little set up :sad:

was the light working? If not did the hotel already know this? When was the last time the room was checked/maintained.

The light was working, it just wasn't on, and the trying to find the light switch was definitely a contributary factor in the fall. I pointed this out when checking out (you can imagine the fuss the hotel was making of me by this time, as I teeter towards my chauffeur car on crutches). I said "You should really have the light on in that room when you know you've got someone checking in" and the lass said "Yes, I know, we will in future".

And no, it wasn't the Britannia!

I used Digby Brown to take (believe it or not) a cricket team to court who had left a piece of metal in the pitch, which I slid across, resulting in an immediate operation & 6 weeks off work.

It was a bit of a hassle but I ended up getting about 3 grand in my pocket.

The other side settled before court, as I believe the costs would have been horrendous. There were a lot of other costs that the other side had to pay. Tough luck. Serves them right for trying to cripple me.

It took about 14 months to get the cash.

If you want any more info I can help out, no problem.

Archived