?7m for Steven Fletcher

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

He had a decent season but he is never a ?7m player.How goals did he score in the Epl wiki has him scoring 8 but did he not score a lot of them in the league cup against lower league sides ?

Walter Bishop

He had a decent season but he is never a ?7m player.How goals did he score in the Epl wiki has him scoring 8 but did he not score a lot of them in the league cup against lower league sides ?

HGow can you possibly score 8 EPL goals against lower league sides in a cup?

The People's Chimp

I was not a fan of his up here in the SPL, as I just didn't see him put in any great performances, but to be fair he has done very well down there and I've been pretty impressed.

Like it or not, due to inflated Premiership prices, he is a ?7 million player.

Look at some of the utter sh*te that gets sold down there for ?4million for example.

Ivan Drago

I was not a fan of his up here in the SPL, as I just didn't see him put in any great performances, but to be fair he has done very well down there and I've been pretty impressed.

This - i hope he stays in the premiership as it should benefit the national team.

vegas-voss

HGow can you possibly score 8 EPL goals against lower league sides in a cup?

sorry wiki has him as scoring 8 goals last season but i don't know if they are only league goals because i know he scored a few goals in the league cup against lower league sides.

He is worth what any team are prepared to pay for him, so if Chelsea or Man Utd were to offer ? 20m then he`s a ? 20m player whether you agree or not.

We_are_the_Hearts

one message is quite clear is that it is better for young Scots to go down South. Compare the progress of the likes of Dorrans, Adam, Fletcher, Gordon and Berra to the ones who stayed here like Riordan, Thomson, Brown, Naismith etc. Moving to the OF is not the answer.

one message is quite clear is that it is better for young Scots to go down South. Compare the progress of the likes of Dorrans, Adam, Fletcher, Gordon and Berra to the ones who stayed here like Riordan, Thomson, Brown, Naismith etc. Moving to the OF is not the answer.

Well said mate.

Excellent point.

I guess it comes down to ambition and belief in your own abilities. Those players with little of either will invariably hop ship to Glasgow.

linkin- hearts

Exactly. After all, you still end up playing against the same crappy teams, you just get paid more. <_<

Rafferty51

sorry wiki has him as scoring 8 goals last season but i don't know if they are only league goals because i know he scored a few goals in the league cup against lower league sides.

I'm sure he has scored 12 goals in all competitions this season.

Always thought he was a bit over-rated in the SPL but to be fair he's done better than i thought he would in the EPL. I heard that and EPL club wanted Robbie Keane for ?9M so if that's the case then i'd say Fletcher is definitely worth ?7M.

Quite. And then you've got the likes of Ross McCormack, Charlie Adam and David Marshall who have come from the OF (McCormack via M'Well) and they've all got a Championship Play-Off Final to play in.

Francis Albert

Exactly. After all, you still end up playing against the same crappy teams, you just get paid more. <_<

Or worse, you get to watch the same crappy teams from the bench or the stand.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Yip, agreed. I have a grudging admiration for him as he chose Burnley over Sellick and he has shown he can compete in the Premiership. Good luck to him, he'll be leading Scotlands next Euro campaign.

Tasavallan

Take heed.

Although it is better for young players to make it to the 1st team with non-OF clubs and then go south - Dorrans being a good example - the rate of failure in the English Academies is agruably higher than in Scotland due to stopping at U18 instead of U19. Livingston's Paul Watson is a example of a player that went south at 16 (to join Ipswich's Academy) but was released at U18.

Commander Harris

I didn't see much of him up here and any time I did I wasn't impressed but he's been excellent for Burnley and looks a top player. ?

Same amount of league goals as Bobby Zamora and we have all seen the hype around him

Went down south and played well only bodes well for the scotland team.

jamboinglasgow

Take heed.

Although it is better for young players to make it to the 1st team with non-OF clubs and then go south - Dorrans being a good example - the rate of failure in the English Academies is agruably higher than in Scotland due to stopping at U18 instead of U19. Livingston's Paul Watson is a example of a player that went south at 16 (to join Ipswich's Academy) but was released at U18.

would agree with that. A young Scot should go through a Scottish academy (which is why we should invest more in academies across the leagues) as they have a much better chance and will be picked up by the bigger clubs at a better time when they are wanted for first team places. Its like the huge influx into the biggest academies in England by players all over the world who are top at their club then thrown into the mixer. Yes one or two will go on to be regular first team players but most will fall back and I wonder if it was better for them to stay with their original clubs and then they would of got a transfer to a bigger club where they are wanted.

Anyway I do agree that the Old Firm is a stumbling block for players careers. Scott Brown left Hibs for Celtic and was turned into a defensive midfield bruiser rather then the attacking player he was before, Thomson just looks like a thug, Naismith does show flashes of his potential but it feels muted since he went there and his development has stalled. The funniest thing is that the young player who has does best since being at the Old Firm is Danny Wilson who came through the ranks but could be off to Liverpool (where I hope he isn't wasted there) while other youth product Fleck has been messed about by dear old Uncle Walter.

As for Fletcher he has done really well in the EPL considering the jump he has made so I am not suprised that other clubs want him, ?7m is a lot but your only worth as much as others are prepared to pay for you.

I just hope that 'they' didn't have a sell on clause.

"They" do have a sell on clause. A ?7m sale would see around ?1m coming to the Hibees. Another fine piece of business by Rod :thumbsup:

He has scored 8 league goals, 3 league cup goals and 1 FA cup goal. I'm pretty sure he had two goals wrongly disallowed against Spurs and Arsenal as well. He's had a decent return.

TBH when he was at Hibs I thought he was the most overrated players in the league. He's proved me wrong since then. I can only go by reports and what I see on MotD but it doesn't just look like it's goals he's added because he had a good couple of assists last week too. He's also missed a few sitters but you have to remember he's only 22/23 and there's still room for improvement.

Watched him last week against Spurs and he played really well. Set up two goals and the first was a really clever flick in to the path of the Elliot and the second was a good low cross to the back post.

For his first year in the EPL he's done very well considering bigger names like Shevchenko have tried and failed in the EPL.

I hope Wilson goes in the summer as well. Seems like a decent lad who'll handle the expectation.

No doubt that most who you mention have proved their worth. Gordon's a terrific example. He's forced his manager to make a total about face to the point where there's no way he'll let him leave now without a hell of a fight.

And Bruce does know his goalkeepers.

I'spose it is one of those things, but, I rated him.

Good striker with a great touch. Moan, moan, moan, hibs barsteward, hibs moan, moan......

Archived