Nigh shift sleeping help

Goose Baxter

Goose Baxter

Guys need your help, when i am coming of a night shift, that night i am finding it very very hard to sleep at night as i am wide awake. So what is the best way to get back into a sleeping routine?

This is what i do:

1) finish at 6am go home and go straight to my bed and sleep as usual and get up in the afternoon.

2) finish at 6am go home and go straight to my bed and get up at 10am.

Now none of these seem to work. option 1 keeps me wide awake all during the night and option 2 gets me shattered by 10pm and i go to sleep but then i wake up at like 1am and cant get back to sleep.

What is the best way to go about this? can anyone give me some advice on what is best to do? Is there any sleeping drinks/tablets that can help you sleep?

Cheers guys

A couple of pints at Nuggets or The Scotsman Bar then off home always did the trick.

Got to watch you don't fall asleep on the train though.

Not sure what pubs open early these days.

Guys need your help, when i am coming of a night shift, that night i am finding it very very hard to sleep at night as i am wide awake. So what is the best way to get back into a sleeping routine?

This is what i do:

1) finish at 6am go home and go straight to my bed and sleep as usual and get up in the afternoon.

As someone who did it for long enough, i'll tell you not to go to bed right away. Worst thing you could do. Think of it as 9 to 5 in reverse. You wouldnt go straight to your bed at half 5 would you!

When you get in, do something to relax yourself whatever that maybe. Always found a good cup of decaf tea helped and sometimes a walk. Sounds really basic but it worked for me and a lot of others.

Dirk Diggler

Don't go to your bed straight away mate, Watch a bit of breakfast telly with a couple of bottles of beer.

I usually go to sleep at around 8 - 8.30am having consumed a couple of Budweisers.

I sleep till 3pm no problem.

When coming off them, I set my alarm for about 12 lunchtime.

Again, A few beers at night usually does the trick.

In short, Beer is the answer.

;)

As someone who does Night Shifts on a regular basis for the past 7 years (4 x 12hrs @19:00 to 07:00) I have yet to work out a 100% workable routine to come off nights.

The best I can come up with is to stay up till 9:00 and set the alarm for about 13:00 (4 hrs) get up and do something physical a good walk or the gym, home for something to eat and then out for a wee swallay.

I think I prefer the walk, I'm quite lucky as I stay nearby to Holyrood so its up the radical road (plenty fresh air) and all the way round the park that gets the cobwebs clear as it did today.

Now for that beer.

I normally get up at 1pm off the nightshift. But on my last one, I get up at 11am. At night a big meal and a bottle of wine and I am zonked at midnight and sleep right through.

Not being able to sleep is a a sure sign you have a guilty concience about something you have done or are doing. :)

PS

You could become a fireman and sleep on your nightshift. That way you won't have this problem. ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

This is what i do:

Now none of these seem to work. option 1 keeps me wide awake all during the night and option 2 gets me shattered by 10pm and i go to sleep but then i wake up at like 1am and cant get back to sleep.

What is the best way to go about this? can anyone give me some advice on what is best to do? Is there any sleeping drinks/tablets that can help you sleep?

Cheers guys

First mistake with night shift is going straight home to bed. If you finish work at 4.30 pm you would never think of going straight home to bed. You need to to something till around 2pm and then get to bed. Its tough if there's kids around the house or coming home from school. Night shift bites.

Goose Baxter
First mistake with night shift is going straight home to bed. If you finish work at 4.30 pm you would never think of going straight home to bed. You need to to something till around 2pm and then get to bed. Its tough if there's kids around the house or coming home from school. Night shift bites.

If i am on constant nightshift i do go to my bed at half 6 and get up at 2ish and im fine for my nights but its when i am on the last night and off for a few days that i find it hard. its that 1st night off when i cant sleep. i know people dont go to there bed when they finish at 5.30pm but its what i do. its just this last shift thats a killer.

As for the kids part i do not have any but i am usually woken up by my neighbour knocking feck out of her 2 kids. That is usually my alarm for getting up.

Cheers for the help folks.

I finnish at 7am and don't go to bed until between 12 - 1pm then get 7 or 8 hours sleep right through.On my last shift i come home don't go to sleep until maybe 3pm sleep until 6-7pm then im out for the count again at between 10-11pm and sleep right through until morning and im fine for the next 2 days.On my first day back to work i usually only have about 4 hours sleep starting at about 3pm to 7pm.Works great for me.

I do 1900 - 0700 night shifts.

Never had a problem with them. I sleep from about 9 till 1 when I am on shift and on the last one I make an effort to get up earlier so I sleep about 8 till 11.

Usually last not bad and end up back in bed about midnight. Trick for me is to keep busy that first day off. I try to arrange dentists and docs and stuff for that day and luckily a lot mine finish on a Saturday morning so I have the footie to go to!

The Old Tolbooth

I used to work nightshift years ago and couldnt adjust, although I made the best of it by getting home at 6.30am, having 2 or 3 beers, unwinding a bit, and going to bed between 8 and 9am. I would sleep until 3 or 4pm.

On a Friday however I used to stay up most of the time and ride the tiredness, then about 8pm on a Friday night would sink a few tins and crash out all night.

Boomtownrats theory of alcohol seemed to work for me too ;)

Archived