Crisps/Snacks you liked as a kid

Budgie.

Along the same lines as the sweets thread, what crisps and snacks did you like?

My favourite two are both sadly now unavailable.

Loved Fish and Chips by Burtons (the Chicken and Chips and Burger and Chips were good too). Loved it when there would be a big lump of flavouring left in the corner of the packet which was so sour it would make your face screw up! Yummy!

The other were also by Burton and were called Puffs. You could either eat a whole packet in 30 seconds using the pour method or eat them individually over the course of an hour. Pure class!

I know loads of folk are gonna say Niknaks but never got the fascination with them...

tangy toms and i think they were called bikers

special mention to the chocolate flavoured crisps that tudor iirc made for a short period

Dave Spacey

tangy toms and i think they were called bikers

special mention to the chocolate flavoured crisps that tudor iirc made for a short period

Those chocolate crisps were amazing, folk just look at me funny when i mention them now though cos no one seems to remember them.

Also the crisps with the little blue salt packet in them.

Say What Again

Burger Bites.

Even further back, I always seem to remember a packet of crisps I liked when I was a small kid (so going back over 25 years), I think they were called Farmer Browns. Got a vague recollection of an advert on the TV for them too with the ditty going something like 'Farmer Brown you've got a lovely snack there'.

Unless I imagined it all :ermm:

Malcolm Tucker

Bikers, Tangy Toms, Space Raiders etc were a-mazing.

I also liked Megabeans. Whatever happened to them...?

Pistol1874

Salt and Vinegar Skydivers and Cheese Savoury Straws.

KP Beef Crisps and Salt and Vinegar Mini Chips were / are the bomb on a roll....

Chaka Demus & pliers

Anyone else remember meanies? Pickled onion flavoured crisps

Aye they were great. Came in a relatively tall, slim packet and were only 5p from the icey.

Sweet Onion bikers were/are the dogs danglies too

Would also add Transform-a-snax to the list too

Say What Again

Anyone else remember meanies? Pickled onion flavoured crisps

Meanies were amazing. They seemed to cram every Meanie physically possible into the bags too, they were always ready to burst. Not like the Space Raiders on nowadays, which contain about 8 crisps.

The Number 10

I remember getting sent round to RS McColls for a packet of Farmer Browns for my playpeice, I think there were salt and vinegar and plain ones, shapes of Cows and Sheep.

Loved Meanies too!

Say What Again

I remember getting sent round to RS McColls for a packet of Farmer Browns for my playpeice, I think there were salt and vinegar and plain ones, shapes of Cows and Sheep.

Thank you, Number 10. At least now I'm sure I didn't imagine them!

Dave Spacey

Disco's, Used to buy the salt and vinegar ones at high school all the time.

blondejamtart

Mmm, fish and chips - used to get those from the school tuck shop. Those Burton puffs were good too though.

Pistol1874

SamSpudz-BurgerBites.jpg

47771_1_ID%20Shot_600_600-400x400.jpg

Spar do Burger Bites if you can find one. They were excellent but the changed the flavour a little bit recently. Not terrible, but better than none! thumbsup.gif

Spar do Burger Bites if you can find one. They were excellent but the changed the flavour a little bit recently. Not terrible, but better than none! thumbsup.gif

There's one in Roseburn. Get a pack or two of those crips on the way back from the pub to do me for the 10 minute walk before I get to Monte Bianco and get a chippy. :thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

Savoury Straws were a favourite of mine :thumbsup:

I would kill for some Savoury Straws - top quality product! :thumbsup:

However, Barbecue Beef Wotsits are unbeatable!

I would kill for some Savoury Straws - top quality product! :thumbsup:

However, Barbecue Beef Wotsits are unbeatable!

I'd say Roast Beef monster munch are the daddys :whistling:

jambogaz1968

I remember a raspberry or strawberry corn snack ,sure i got them from the store next to the libary on gillie dykes street :unsure:

Johanes de Silentio

I'd say Roast Beef monster munch are the daddys :whistling:

You're crazy! :down:

I mean Roast Beef Monster Munch are pretty much among the best of what's available now, but to say that they own BBQ Beef Wotsits or Savoury Straws in their hey-day is plain crazy talk - you have just made a powerful enemy, my friend! :angry:

Johanes de Silentio

I remember a raspberry or strawberry corn snack ,sure i got them from the store next to the libary on gillie dykes street :unsure:

Thank you - I'm always telling my incredulous colleagues about fruit flavoured crisps, yet they refuse to believe me!

They were, of course, absolutely rancid!

You're crazy! :down:

I mean Roast Beef Monster Munch are pretty much among the best of what's available now, but to say that they own BBQ Beef Wotsits or Savoury Straws in their hey-day is plain crazy talk - you have just made a powerful enemy, my friend! :angry:

I never liked the beef wotsits <_<

Savoury Straws are up there with the Monsters :thumbsup:

jambogaz1968

Thank you - I'm always telling my incredulous colleagues about fruit flavoured crisps, yet they refuse to believe me!

They were, of course, absolutely rancid!

Im tasting orange flava 2 maybe :unsure:

Johanes de Silentio

I never liked the beef wotsits <_<

Savoury Straws are up there with the Monsters :thumbsup:

A shiny sixpence to the lad who can tell a chap where to get Savoury Straws these days - you gotta help me out, man! :woot:

A shiny sixpence to the lad who can tell a chap where to get Savoury Straws these days - you gotta help me out, man! :woot:

Not seen they bad boys for years.

:(

Say What Again

Chipsticks.

My auld auntie always put out a bowl of Chipsticks - not the soft, light, maize efforts you can buy now, but the sharp, little matchsticks that jagged the feck out of your mouth at all angles.

Rancheros (or did I just invent that?)

Used to sell them at Tynecastle,lates 70's?

Bit like they bacon frazzle things you get now if i remember correctly.

My own favourite was pickled onion Tudor.

RossHMFC93

Wolf-Pombar-Orig.jpg

It might not have been these but I remember regularly eating crisps shaped like a bear when I was wee. As well as Space Invaders. :thumbsup:

Now I'm all about McCoys, Doritos and Pringles. :dribble:

I can't put a pic up as iam at work but Roysters t-bone steak crisps were very addictive! :-)

heartsfc_fan

I remember getting these:

3260300975_4b81a958c9.jpg

never really understood the whole concept of this, but hey ho it was fun when I got it as my play piece :thumbsup:

heartsfc_fan

Also:

jaffa.jpg

I rememeber (and they probably are still like this now, but it's been ages since I've bought them!) they had the cartons that came as a 6 pack I think. In each carton you got 6 jaffa cakes.

Well there was the odd time I got 7 in a carton :woot: and once I remember I got 5 :verymad:

Obviously they either have a person had packing them quickly and not realy counting or a machine that picks up "6" jaffa cakes from a big bowl (that's what I thought anyway :teehee: ) and dropped one so some unlucky sod got 5...

JamboInSouthsea

I remember getting these:

3260300975_4b81a958c9.jpg

never really understood the whole concept of this, but hey ho it was fun when I got it as my play piece :thumbsup:

Brilliant marketing scheme with horrible results - tasteless crisps on top and too salty at the bottom.

My ultimate favourite snacky thing is Twiglets though. Peak Freans used to make them and they came in a cardboard box and were usually a wee bit sticky (and twiggy). Still love 'em in their Jacobs format although they can sometimes be difficult to get in smaller shops. They're ideal with a nice pint of Guiness as well but best with a cup of tea.

Pickled Onion Monster Munch a close second and an excellent munchies foodstuff.

I'd kill for a packet of twiglets right now...I've done so before and will strike again ;)

tomato sauce flavour wotsits, you used to be able to get a six pack of these the bad boys

Nerds, Dweebs, Gobstoppers, Tab Clear, Cremola Foam...

Mmmmmmmm, those were the days!

Remember you could buy a pack of the polo holes? I got thrown out of Ralston's newsagents in Peebles when I was at school because they thought I was taking the crap when I asked if they sold them lol :lol:

Archived