?27!

Del1812

Paid for my derby ticket earlier today (to pick it up on Wednesday) and couldn't believe that it is now costing ?27 for a ticket. There has been so much talk recently of restructuring Scottish football in order to try and solve a lot of the financial problems facing clubs and to draw more interest in the game. Surely the first thing to look at when trying to fix Scottish football is the ridiculous ticket prices?

The quality in Scottish football has dramatically dropped but somehow ticket prices continue to rise at the highest level. When the entire country is in the midst of a recession then is it any surprise that people are beginning to now stay away from Scottish football in their thousands. As mentioned already we are bucking the trend in terms of keeping steady attendances but in all reality how much longer is that going to last?

I know that clubs need the gate money to stay afloat right now but surely something should be put in place that encourages clubs to lower prices and get fans coming back to the games. Also wouldn't it be worth having a leap of faith with regards to the paying public, hoping that in the long term clubs can make the money back with more people attending the games for years to come.

We may be quite a bit cheaper compared to the EPL, pretty much averaging just under half the cost, but when you consider just how much better quality there is to watch down there then you realise it isn't us that's getting the good deal. Then there is the cheap prices of German football that has continued to make that league all about the fans.

What does everyone else think? Should prices be reduced dramatically in a hope of making Scottish football better or is this idea just like so many others that sound good from a personal point of view but are just not practical?

ToadKiller Dog

You can pay for your ticket now and pick it up Wednesday makes a bit of a mockery out of the points system and sales dates .

Is there a secret level of higher hearts fans ? .

To be honest i dont think 27 would be too bad for a premium seat but if there where cheaper options to go with it , Buying seated area ticketing in Germany can be expensive depending where you sit ,but they have the standing option for those not so rich , we dont really have that now nearest are the cheap seats in section N or a B match ticket .

the old chestnut well debated issue bringing back limited standing areas would give an affordable way of introducing cheaper areas while keeping premuim seats also .

Went down to a premiership game at Sunderland on Saturday and it was ?27 for a seat that is equivalent to the best in the Wheatfield.

SPL teams need to be realistic with their pricing and realise the product is crap, the players are mostly second-rate, the pitches are a disgrace, and the average fans are only going to pay so much for this.

That's a ridiculous price for the fare on offer at Easter Road. Whatever format the league takes, clubs need to realise that twenty-seven pounds for a meaningless (I appreciate it's a derby) fixture is insane. When Aberdeen attract under 11,000 for a potentially crucial game and many of those are entering free, people really need to start considering the long-term implications of such pricing.

Drylaw Hearts

You can pay for your ticket now and pick it up Wednesday makes a bit of a mockery out of the points system and sales dates .

Is there a secret level of higher hearts fans ? .

To be honest i dont think 27 would be too bad for a premium seat but if there where cheaper options to go with it , Buying seated area ticketing in Germany can be expensive depending where you sit ,but they have the standing option for those not so rich , we dont really have that now nearest are the cheap seats in section N or a B match ticket .

the old chestnut well debated issue bringing back limited standing areas would give an affordable way of introducing cheaper areas while keeping premuim seats also .

An inside job I think.

loveofthegame

How the hell have you already been able to pay for it?! I was told it was first come, first served on Wed so its just a case of queueing?! Annoyed if some suppoerters are getting in ahead of this.

Commander Harris

if you consider value for money with regards to the quality of the product then ?27 is expensive, but the fact is they could sell the allocation twice over at that price and that's what dictates price - supply and demand. ?

Where there may well be a problem is games with particularly low attendances where the pricing structure is clearly not working. ?I don't understand how or why clubs like Kilmarnock can charge ?20+ and not even 1/4 fill their stadium :S

Paid for my derby ticket earlier today (to pick it up on Wednesday) and couldn't believe that it is now costing ?27 for a ticket.

the price (except for a small VAT adjustment) has been the same for the last couple of seasons.

How the hell have you already been able to pay for it?! I was told it was first come, first served on Wed so its just a case of queueing?! Annoyed if some suppoerters are getting in ahead of this.

He works for Hearts.

ToadKiller Dog

He works for Hearts.

Seems fair enough staff should get first dibs as long as its for themselves .

Do we not charge more for the derby ?28 for behind the goals away end and home end ?

Seems fair enough staff should get first dibs as long as its for themselves .

Do we not charge more for the derby ?28 for behind the goals away end and home end ?

At one point we charged ?31 for tickets in the away end for the 'big three' teams coming to Tynecastle. That was when there was a lot of demand for tickets and we had the stand split into two with home fans taking two sections. My OP was in no way a pop at Hibs though, it's a problem that exists throughout the SPL and I'd imagine a lot of clubs in the lower leagues as well.

We've reached a point where the clubs are no longer taking the risk of lowering ticket prices and hoping attendences rise effectively. They've now resorted to fleecing (relative to club size) anything from a few hundred to a few thousand idiotic die-hards for as much as they're worth, and keeping afloat that way.

The margin for error is as wide as a baw-hair, but for many clubs it's the only way.

I love Scottish football.

Guest C00l K1d

First come first served for the people who have the loyal points

I think most of the time, having a bum on a seat is automatically better than not having that fan, even if paying less. Kilmarnock's prices and attendances are laughable. Rather than havg, say, 1,500 walk-up fans per match paying 20 quid, why not charge 10 quid and attract 3,000? Everybody who comes not only buys a ticket, but potentially also a strip / scarf / pie / programme as well and that may well make up the money lost by lowering the prices.

5,000 in an 18,128 stadium is awful.

I think most of the time, having a bum on a seat is automatically better than not having that fan, even if paying less. Kilmarnock's prices and attendances are laughable. Rather than havg, say, 1,500 walk-up fans per match paying 20 quid, why not charge 10 quid and attract 3,000? Everybody who comes not only buys a ticket, but potentially also a strip / scarf / pie / programme as well and that may well make up the money lost by lowering the prices.

5,000 in an 18,128 stadium is awful.

In theory this should work but I doubt it would. There are very few people I know who don't go to the game due to price. Also Aberdeen's "bring a friend" day was a massive failure. I could see clubs like Killie slashing their prices and still getting the same crowds and losing money.

In theory this should work but I doubt it would. There are very few people I know who don't go to the game due to price. Also Aberdeen's "bring a friend" day was a massive failure. I could see clubs like Killie slashing their prices and still getting the same crowds and losing money.

I see your argument, but they could try (even just once) having free entry for all non-season ticket holders. That might attract a biggish crowd (Hearts v Middlesbrough 15,152 in a pre-season friendly) but people would still have to pay for their merchandise and food. Some people might get the "bug". Also, football clubs don't do much to promote themselves around town. Yes, they are in the local paper every day, but they could try explicitly marketing themselves to non-football fans or very occasional fans. "Support the town" / "Support your local community". If they incorporated a "meet the players" session it might attract some. All about increasing the size of the footballing public.

I see your argument, but they could try (even just once) having free entry for all non-season ticket holders. That might attract a biggish crowd (Hearts v Middlesbrough 15,152 in a pre-season friendly) but people would still have to pay for their merchandise and food. Some people might get the "bug". Also, football clubs don't do much to promote themselves around town. Yes, they are in the local paper every day, but they could try explicitly marketing themselves to non-football fans or very occasional fans. "Support the town" / "Support your local community". If they incorporated a "meet the players" session it might attract some. All about increasing the size of the footballing public.

Think the food is from an external company mate and they just pay rent.

A Barry Hearn type figure would be a God-send. Make it more enjoyable. Also there can be more done at halftime too, to make the day out more enjoyable. Stuff along the lines of raffles to get fans unexpectedly onto the pitch.

Thundercats Are Go

Awww, calm down, its not what you know but who! :lol::whistling:

The cost of attending a game is outrageous and has been for many years.

Interestingly , there was an article in one of the Sundays yesterday regarding the success of the MSL and the huge rise in attendances- part of which is put down to the reasonable cost of tickets. NHL & NBA gamews/ tickets are regarded as 'extortionate' at a cost of $40. For $40 you can watch Michael Johnson (relatively speaking) - or in our case , Christian f 'king Nade.

mate they tried this a few years ago, they had buy one get one free season tickets. Overall it did not work fir them because the demand is not there. The demand for football is inelastic compered to price. It means lowering the price does not automacially mean mire people will go in return for a higher turnover.think about tobacca, the price goes up every year but only a few people stop smoking because of price, now the people who don't smoke are very inlikly to start if the price dropped over night.

mate they tried this a few years ago, they had buy one get one free season tickets. Overall it did not work fir them because the demand is not there. The demand for football is inelastic compered to price. It means lowering the price does not automacially mean mire people will go in return for a higher turnover.think about tobacca, the price goes up every year but only a few people stop smoking because of price, now the people who don't smoke are very inlikly to start if the price dropped over night.

Whether this was intentional or not I love this analogy.

Scottish football is like cigarettes: cost consuming, bad for your health and altogether pointless.

Whether this was intentional or not I love this analogy.

Scottish football is like cigarettes: cost consuming, bad for your health and altogether pointless.

All bets are off. Close down kickback.

There's more truth there than in the Bible.

Luton Jambo

I go and watch Luton Town in the Blue Square Premier now and again and I think their pricing structure is about right.

Juniors (Under 10) ?5

Youth (Age 10-16) ?8

Young Adult (Age 17-21) ?13

Adult (Age 22-64) ?18

Senior (Age 65-75) ?13

Golden Senior (Over 75) ?10

They have averaged 7000 for home games this season, and two I was at recently Grays Athletic only brought 19 fans and Histon brought 44, they print the away support separately in the programme, but both attendances where over 7000. They also do a lot of matches, including the Bank Holiday Monday game against Grays, where the kids get in for 40 pence. That's a higher average attendance than half the SPL clubs and almost on par with Dundee United.

Id be happy to pay a lot more than that if we pumped them 4-3 or 4-0 again. But if it's your bog standard derby 27 is a little steep. There was a time I would go to ever game I could home and away and never thought about how much is in my wallet. Now it's getting to the stage that a match ticket, travel, drinkies and food can top 100 hundred pound easy for your day out. And at the end of it you come back cold from the nil nil draw and wish you'd just went down the local and got ripped at half the price.

Billy the Jambo

?27 is too much for the standard of football we have to suffer at times .I think it should be a flat admission price of ?20 for adults ,?10 for 12-16 year olds and free for kids under 10 years old providing they are with an adult .I forgot make it free for pensioners too

Jambof3tornado

?27 isnt too much for a derby game.

Going to the football is a luxury in life and if you cant afford it you dont go.

Our season ticket prices over the last few years has been fantastic value,though the team on display rarely meets our expected standards!

As for the OP getting his ticket before other fans,well regardless of working for the club or not,did you not think people would be pissed off,or was a reaction what you wanted?

heartsfc_fan

I go and watch Luton Town in the Blue Square Premier now and again and I think their pricing structure is about right.

Juniors (Under 10) ?5

Youth (Age 10-16) ?8

Young Adult (Age 17-21) ?13

Adult (Age 22-64) ?18

Senior (Age 65-75) ?13

Golden Senior (Over 75) ?10

They have averaged 7000 for home games this season, and two I was at recently Grays Athletic only brought 19 fans and Histon brought 44, they print the away support separately in the programme, but both attendances where over 7000. They also do a lot of matches, including the Bank Holiday Monday game against Grays, where the kids get in for 40 pence. That's a higher average attendance than half the SPL clubs and almost on par with Dundee United.

Respectable prices there. I think there should be some sort of rule in the SPL that all clubs charge that for standard games. Fair enough derby games and Old Firm games can be the exception.

I'm sure teams like Kilmarnock would rather have 8,000 in the stadium with half of those being non-season ticket holders paying ?15 each or so on average instead of only having a crowd of 5,000 with 1,000 people paying ?25.

willie wallace

It needs to be a long term plan and it can only work if all teams agree to gradually reduce the wage bills to manageable levels and then hopefully ticket prices will be relevant to what we are actually watching on the park.

We have to get rid of this concept of high wages for players whether they perform or not and possibly go back to the bonus system and players would be rewarded for success and not failure.

It needs to be a long term plan and it can only work if all teams agree to gradually reduce the wage bills to manageable levels and then hopefully ticket prices will be relevant to what we are actually watching on the park.

We have to get rid of this concept of high wages for players whether they perform or not and possibly go back to the bonus system and players would be rewarded for success and not failure.

That is surely the crux of it all. I'm led to believe our wage bill is something like 120% of turnover !!

That obviously cant go on but how we get that fact through to players and agents I just don't know. The UK 'market' is going to slump soon and there will be players going on the dole as clubs fold, unless they are prepared to work with the management and thrash out deals that give the paying public VFM

Doesn't the SPL set a minimum admission fee ? They certainly used to.

I'd be interested in what the figure is if they still do it.

Archived