Tonight's televised debate

redm

Snake Plissken

Exactly. He is doing well though.

Both Clegg & Dave automatically have it a bit easier when it's all would-dos for them whereas for Brown they can discredit (quite rightly) his would-dos with have-dones. If that makes sense...

The luxury of opposition.

Brown can't make any claims that can't be accounted for.

Clegg's making some good points on education here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Clegg just call Joel, "John"?

HE JUST LOST MY VOTE!!!1!!!ONE!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just got up and this is on BBC World over here. Loved the emphasis from Alastair Stewart there on the fact that education is a 'devolved issue'. Yes Alastair, the population with half a brain know that. The rest of them are tuning in expecting something akin to X Factor and wondering where Simon Cowell is.

17000 teachers attacked every year? That sounds like utter pish to me.

It sure does.

It goes with the territory though with being PM.

You are there to be knocked on things that have not done well.

Of course, it comes with the territory and they have to be held to account by the people. In a situation like this debate I just find it very disingenuous though when the opposition blatantly use tenuous links to govt 'errors' to try and discredit points made. It's cheap. It's politics...

Clegg is on fire.

I think this is the 1st time he's had the chance to stand off against the other two leaders like this, and he's coming out very, very well.

The Mighty Thor

I love it when Clegg gives it the 'fully costed' routine

Tremendous. You can see Dave and Brown visibly wince. :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

17000 teachers attacked every year? That sounds like utter pish to me.

Probably not, might be stretching it with the definition of an attack though.

I used to live with a teacher and she was attacked by a pupil.

I wonder how many times Davey boy is going to say "as a parent"

Gigolo-Aunt

Of course, it comes with the territory and they have to be held to account by the people. In a situation like this debate I just find it very disingenuous though when the opposition blatantly use tenuous links to govt 'errors' to try and discredit points made. It's cheap. It's politics...

Indeedy doooo

That wee poindexter was too young to vote anyway, was he not?

:ermm:

Good point.

I just got my polling card through the door today. :woot:

Snake Plissken

That wee poindexter was too young to vote anyway, was he not?

Yep.

Milhouse was 17, making his participation in this program irrelevant.

To be honest. I'd support raising the legal age to vote, I'd rescind my right to vote if it would prevent others my age doing so.

Private Hudson

Cameron sounding very lightweight here. Looks like he's being ganged-up on as well. Wonder if being in the middle isn't helping?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think this is the 1st time he's had the chance to stand off against the other two leaders like this, and he's coming out very, very well.

I've not seen it from the start but I would guess that Cameron and Brown are focusing on each other because they might need Clegg to form a government.

Clegg's the only one who actually proposed a decent solution on school discipline, smaller classes. The other two just said a lot of pish.

Just got up and this is on BBC World over here. Loved the emphasis from Alastair Stewart there on the fact that education is a 'devolved issue'. Yes Alastair, the population with half a brain know that. The rest of them are tuning in expecting something akin to X Factor and wondering where Simon Cowell is.

Just what I thought as well GK..but neither of us are English and the majority watching this will be. They probably don't understand exactly what is devolved as that would require being interested in Welsh, Scottish or Irish politics.

The Mighty Thor

Cameron sounding very lightweight here. Looks like he's being ganged-up on as well. Wonder if being in the middle isn't helping?

He's sounding lightweight because he is lightweight.

He's got nothing to say and is clearly out his depth against these two

Has Cameron done anything but say what Labour are doing wrong?

I read a good point in the Metro today actually, that said some Tories are worried Cameron has the most to lose out of the three tonight. That's definitely true, and he isn't covering himself or his party in glory here.

Snake Plissken

To be honest. I'd support raising the legal age to vote, I'd rescind my right to vote if it would prevent others my age doing so.

Nah.

If you're old enough to pay taxes you should have the right to decide you who gets to squander them.

Why disenfranchise the few among the young (I guess I'm still in that group, just :ermm: ) who would actually vote? There are idiots in all age groups with the attention span of a goldfish and that's why people like David Cameron are anywhere near power.

I read a good point in the Metro today actually, that said some Tories are worried Cameron has the most to lose out of the three tonight. That's definitely true, and he isn't covering himself or his party in glory here.

Course he has - he was leading the polls!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Clegg's the only one who actually proposed a decent solution on school discipline, smaller classes. The other two just said a lot of pish.

I don't believe the Lib Dumbs have the money, despite their claims of it being fully costed.

And it only applies to England.

Nah.

If you're old enough to pay taxes you should have the right to decide you who gets to squander them.

Why disenfranchise the few among the young (I guess I'm still in that group, just :ermm: ) who would actually vote? There are idiots in all age groups with the attention span of a goldfish and that's why people like David Cameron are anywhere near power.

Because I can look at my facebook, and the profiles of chavs from my year who have in depth discussions about how the BNP will be getting their vote.

Everyone my age is a misinformed dickhead, I hate that they can just vote without consideration. Because they're all bigoted knobheads who have no understanding or care when it comes to politics.

Nah.

I highly agree. I would go as far as if you don't pay taxes you shouldn't get a vote either. If you don't contribute then why should you have a view!

Private Hudson

Cameron's face is speaking a thousand words. He's blown his muck and is flailing in the wind now.

I highly agree. I would go as far as if you don't pay taxes you shouldn't get a vote either. If you don't contribute then why should you have a view!

You're right, the disabled or ill shouldn't vote because they don't work. Good going Hitler. :teehee:

Because I can look at my facebook' date=' and the profiles of chavs from my year who have in depth discussions about how the BNP will be getting their vote.

Everyone my age is a misinformed dickhead, I hate that they can just vote without consideration. Because they're all bigoted knobheads who have no understanding or care when it comes to politics.[/quote']

But will they actually bother voting when it comes down to it?

Course he has - he was leading the polls!

As well as going a way to part-repair (or attempt to) the reputation of the Tories, IMO.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Dear oh dear, poor stuff from Brown on the economy (surprise!), poor stuff from Cameron on the attack.

How about someone mention the fact that the public sector accounts for 52% of GDP and taxation is only equivalent to 39% of GDP? What gives Mr Market the confidence to fund that shortfall?

Cameron's face is speaking a thousand words. He's blown his muck and is flailing in the wind now.

That close-up on Dave when Clegg made his people-before-party suggestion was just brilliant. He wore the expression of a man in pain.

I take back my Clegg prediction from earlier, because Dave's actually going to cry soon.

But will they actually bother voting when it comes down to it?

Yes they will.

The facebook thing was an example before anyone jumps on it.

I've spoken to these guys, asked them why they'll vote for them and they have no good answer. They don't want to take the time to look at politics. See what the country needs and not just yourself, but they don't. They just believe what they read in the rags and what some bloke in a pub told them.

I think they will vote, but I hope they don't.

Danny Wilde

Nothing happening here to change anyones mind where it really matters in this election - in Englandshire.

No major gaffes, no major stumbles, no real illumination. Its heading for a 3-way no-scoring draw.

Snake Plissken

Because I can look at my facebook, and the profiles of chavs from my year who have in depth discussions about how the BNP will be getting their vote.

Everyone my age is a misinformed dickhead, I hate that they can just vote without consideration. Because they're all bigoted knobheads who have no understanding or care when it comes to politics.

Most people don't get any more enlightened with age, your last sentence could be applied to the vast majority of the population. Trouble is most people think very little about who they're voting for and why, its not a problem exclusive to the young.

The BNP are and always will be a tiny fringe party that will attract a great deal more attention than votes. If the BNP elect an MP in this election I will set myself on fire. It will not happen in this election or in my lifetime.

Yes they will.

The facebook thing was an example before anyone jumps on it.

I've spoken to these guys, asked them why they'll vote for them and they have no good answer. They don't want to take the time to look at politics. See what the country needs and not just yourself, but they don't. They just believe what they read in the rags and what some bloke in a pub told them.

I think they will vote, but I hope they don't.

Don't worry mate. There are arseholes everywhere. Just not enough to make the differance.

Archived