Busy Bee Saughton Mains

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

I spent my teenage years growing up in Saughton Mains and had my first *legal* seshes in the lounge of the Busy.

Was talking to my sis tonight reminiscing about growing up there and times in the Busy, now we had a wee disagreement on the history of the pub building, either i am a drink addled old fool (entirely possible it has to be said :whistling: ) but I seem to recall that the building was initially a church (or religious meeting place) can anyone confirm this, I know there are a few on here who have/had been regulars in there.

I await the mocking...in the same vein as recieved from my sis :angry:

Buffalo Bill

I've been told before it was a church too, so that makes two of us.

I went there regulary when I grew up in Saughton Mains, and of course the Saughton Hearts bus ran from there before merging with the Cross Keys.

The BB was a great pub.

RRrrrrrrrrobertson!

I spent my teenage years growing up in Saughton Mains and had my first *legal* seshes in the lounge of the Busy.

Was talking to my sis tonight reminiscing about growing up there and times in the Busy, now we had a wee disagreement on the history of the pub building, either i am a drink addled old fool (entirely possible it has to be said :whistling: ) but I seem to recall that the building was initially a church (or religious meeting place) can anyone confirm this, I know there are a few on here who have/had been regulars in there.

I await the mocking...in the same vein as recieved from my sis :angry:

Busy Bee Pub

Saughton Mains Congregational Church

"The building that the Busy Bee pub now occupies started off its life as Saughton Mains Congregational Church. It was built in the very early 1950s.

The Minister who started up the church was the Rev Stanley Perkins. He resided with his wife, Amanda, in Saughtonhall Drive, Saughtonhall. As far as I can remember he was the only minister who was resident there, and I know the building was still being used as a church in November 1959.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_saughton.htm

quick google search brought this up :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Definitely a church mate, and it was my wee church on a Sunday until I moved to Rosyth, god how I miss that place *sigh*

davemclaren

I've never been to Saughtom Mains. In fact, I'm not really sure where it is. However, I feel I must visit one day. Do they do literary tours? :)

Edited by davemclaren

I made my Maybury Sunday League debut against the Busy Bee.

We won 4-0 and two BB players had a square go with each other on the pitch. One deciding to walk off after the blows were traded. Ref bottled it and didn't send the other off too. Totally bizarre.

I've never been to Saughtom Mains. In fact, I'm not really sure where it is. However, I feel I must visit one day. Do they do literary tours? :)

Oh you don't know what your missing, get yourself along!! Mind it's pretty crap now, apart from a Sunday afternoon :thumbsup:

And yip it was a church.

Who did you drink with in there with Konrad?

eddie fenwick

Oh you don't know what your missing, get yourself along!! Mind it's pretty crap now, apart from a Sunday afternoon :thumbsup:

And yip it was a church.

does wee les still fart and walk away?

Konrad von Carstein

And yip it was a church.

Trying to remeber now but the guys I knew/hung out with included: Fraser Ewing, Scott Currie, JohnJamieson, Davie McKay, John Arnott, James Johnston, Jim McNab, Willie Hiscock (RIP), the Much brothers, christ there were so many of us who ran about SM it needs a thread of it's own.....Good Times :thumbsup:

Trying to remeber now but the guys I knew/hung out with included: Fraser Ewing, Scott Currie, JohnJamieson, Davie McKay, John Arnott, James Johnston, Jim McNab, Willie Hiscock (RIP), the Much brothers, christ there were so many of us who ran about SM it needs a thread of it's own.....Good Times :thumbsup:

yeah know most of them, you'll know the hutchisons and maybe the ogilvies, wullie and kev rae?

Konrad von Carstein

yeah know most of them, you'll know the hutchisons and maybe the ogilvies, wullie and kev rae?

Everyone knows the Hutchinsons :mellow: Ogilvies aint ringing bells with me but I forget everyones names, faces are OK.

Obv I know of Buff Bills family, Troy and Shaun Nolan too...the girls i remember are Gail McKenzie & Susan Dick....and a couple of others who's names escape me just now.

Loved growing up there....so many memorys coming back now

Dode Cooney?

Everyone knows the Hutchinsons :mellow: Ogilvies aint ringing bells with me but I forget everyones names, faces are OK.

Obv I know of Buff Bills family, Troy and Shaun Nolan too...the girls i remember are Gail McKenzie & Susan Dick....and a couple of others who's names escape me just now.

Dode Cooney?

Not sure, poss know his face, is he related to Donnie, that holds up the bar. lol

Konrad von Carstein

Dode Cooney?

Not sure, poss know his face, is he related to Donnie, that holds up the bar. lol

I think Donnie may be the younger brother....

Any way if you know all these people I've mentioned i'm sure I will either know you or know who you are....so good fortune to you and yours.... :)

The Old Tolbooth

ame='jambo 71' date='18 March 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1268953378' post='1548944']

I think Donnie may be the younger brother....

Any way if you know all these people I've mentioned i'm sure I will either know you or know who you are....so good fortune to you and yours.... :)

Most of Saughton knows Linda from her younger days mate :whistling:

Konrad von Carstein

Most of Saughton knows Linda from her younger days mate :whistling:

I'd be checkin my tea for foreign bodies for a while now if I was you :unsure:

just ignore him, it works for me :teehee:

Buffalo Bill

Jesus, some familiar names being quoted here!

I wish I could still go up the field to play footy with Blue, Andy Lewis, Vince, Gareth Hutchison and the MacPherson brothers.

The Old Tolbooth

Thankfully I'm the cook mate, she burns water! :blink:

I wish I could still go up the field to play footy with Blue, Andy Lewis, Vince, Gareth Hutchison and the MacPherson brothers.

How is Blue? What's he upto these days

Buffalo Bill

How is Blue? What's he upto these days

I don't know, Linda but I'll try and find out. Probably a doctor or a lawyer!

I don't know, Linda but I'll try and find out. Probably a doctor or a lawyer!

Haha, How do I find that hard to believe :D

It's a proper pub. Although I heard it was shut now?

Nothing like a good pub to watcht eh football on a sunny day, chippy right across the road and it's staggering distance home to the whole of saughton.

Konrad von Carstein

Know how you feel...wish i could be running about with the guys in SM Park....*** me more names coming back to me...as I said prevously good times SM was a great place to grow up in...

Darth Ewing

I was having this debate the other day with people from work glad to know I was right about it being built on a church. Brings back memories of a few trips in there from when I was a kid and a few family partys aswell.

The Old Tolbooth

It's a proper pub. Although I heard it was shut now?

Nothing like a good pub to watcht eh football on a sunny day, chippy right across the road and it's staggering distance home to the whole of saughton.

Definitely still open mate, at least it was when I had a session in there 2 or 3 weeks ago :D

this_is_my_story

Did he play for Hutchie Vale many moons ago? I might have the wrong lad... Don't remember too many blokes with that nickname though. Real name was Kevin, IIRC.

I've been told before it was a church too, so that makes two of us.

I went there regulary when I grew up in Saughton Mains, and of course the Saughton Hearts bus ran from there before merging with the Cross Keys.

The BB was a great pub.

Originally it was called the Busy Bee Hearts before having to change the name after an 'incident' in Perth. Can't remember the finer details now but the polis were involved.

Mr X - Busy Bee Hearts junior member no. 2.

Frankie Pal

Went to the 42nd Company B.B.s in Saughton Mains Congregational Church and later drank in the Busy Bee. It always seemed a bit strange drinking in what used to be a church.

Used to travel to away games with Longstone Hearts in the 80's and they had close links with the Busy Bee. Don't think we ever got to a game on time.

Buffalo Bill

Did he play for Hutchie Vale many moons ago? I might have the wrong lad... Don't remember too many blokes with that nickname though. Real name was Kevin, IIRC.

That's the one. Blue and I both played for Huthison Vale.

And Gareth Hutchison who I mentioned earlier played against Hearts for Stenhousemuir in 1996 (CCC game - went to penalties).

I know the Rae's very well , what Hutchisons you talking about? Gareth? & family, also had the Maloys, I could go on but I wontthumbsup.gif

I also grew up In Saughton Mains.

SCF in my heart foreverninja.gif

Ps, I mind there was talk of turning the BB in to a POLICE station at 1 point.

That's the one. Blue and I both played for Huthison Vale.

And Gareth Hutchison who I mentioned earlier played against Hearts for Stenhousemuir in 1996 (CCC game - went to penalties).

Gareth use to hang about with my big brother, billy mac, jamie maloy, & so on wink.gif

I would put blues real name on here , but I wont as its not nice & i dont have his premission, so I wont, but I do still speak to his wee sister Melanie.

I miss the L Block :(

Edited by swavkav

Re my earlier reply about the Hutchisons' I am obviously thinking of some "other" Hutchsons...mellow.gif

The Hutchisons most on here are talking about lived on Stenhouse Street West.

Konrad von Carstein

The ones I recall were called Davie, John-Paul and there was another, the youngest brother who's name I've forgottten...not from SSW not from SM really but they were well known to my age group....

Buffalo Bill

If you drew a line through the middle of a map of Saughton Mains from fifteen or twenty years ago, running from East to West, the only thing you'd have left today is the Busy Bee.

Sadly, Carrick Vale has gone, the Ministers' ground at Saughton Mains Bank is gone, as is our playing field; Scotmid is shut, and the entire L-Block is gone and so are the little row of cottages and the field near to Broomhouse.

Buffalo Bill

Orlits, flatpacks and the church near my old house.

09002695.jpg

06110546.jpg

05027125.jpg

A recent fire

_47206894_fire2_226.jpg

...and the beauty of the Busy Bee

bizy%20bee.jpg

Orlits, flatpacks and the church near my old house.

09002695.jpg

06110546.jpg

05027125.jpg

A recent fire

_47206894_fire2_226.jpg

...and the beauty of the Busy Bee

bizy%20bee.jpg

I remembre when these flats were getting built did me sunday paper round to them, picked up the papers from the newsagents at Saughton mains gardens. This was long before the pup was built, used to play footie in the field next to the row of cottages, happy days

Buffalo Bill

I remembre when these flats were getting built did me sunday paper round to them, picked up the papers from the newsagents at Saughton mains gardens. This was long before the pup was built, used to play footie in the field next to the row of cottages, happy days

Have you seen/read Malcolm Cant's superb book, Edinburgh from the Air?

There are some great early ariel pictures of Saughton Mains from the early 50s showing the new houses being built and the old farm buildings that stood on what became my street, Saughton Mains Bank.

Apart from a small industrial estate at Bankhead, the city pretty much ends at Broomhouse.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

There are some great early ariel pictures of Saughton Mains from the early 50s showing the new houses being built and the old farm buildings that stood on what became my street, Saughton Mains Bank.

Apart from a small industrial estate at Bankhead, the city pretty much ends at Broomhouse.

Cheers for that will defo check it out

Saughton Mains Street

Saughton%20Mains%20St%20BW.jpg

My grannie live @ the end of this street .11/6 & I lived in the Place

Love old maps and aerial pics showing what places look like before.

Just spent the last 2 hours comparing this My link with Google maps!

Can't seem to see that book any where on the web. Any tips on where to get it from?

Love old maps and aerial pics showing what places look like before.

Just spent the last 2 hours comparing this My link with Google maps!

Can't seem to see that book any where on the web. Any tips on where to get it from?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edinburgh-Air-Years-Aerial-Photography/dp/0952609967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269015850&sr=8-1

I bought a copy of it for my Dad's birthday (or Fathers Day...) a few years ago as there is a pic in it of Boroughmuir Teachers from round about the time he attended.

Cracking book.

I'd imagine the public library would have a few copies too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edinburgh-Air-Years-Aerial-Photography/dp/0952609967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269015850&sr=8-1

I bought a copy of it for my Dad's birthday (or Fathers Day...) a few years ago as there is a pic in it of Boroughmuir Teachers from round about the time he attended.

Cracking book.

I'd imagine the public library would have a few copies too.

Wooft! From ?29.90! :o

Think the library might be the best option! Cheers.