• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Carl Fredrickson

• Currahee!

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

As I say, it’s about time other rural parts of Scotland got their share of the colossal investment that is being showered on part of the highlands.  The Borders needs to shout a bit louder.

SNP just announced the creation of South of Scotland enterprise. Might be a start..

I’m a Edinburgh boy but there’s some fantastic hidden gems right across the South. Really could do with some investment and infrastructure. 

What should happen in Edinburgh is they grow Transport for Edinburgh and open up the old rail routes (southern sub & the many northern lines). Incorporate with the trams into a ‘Lothians Metro’ more of a rapid transit system with specific colourised lines and watch public transport numbers go through the roof, commuting times crash and tourists discovering other less explored  areas of the lothians and Edinburgh. 

Carl Fredrickson

I could never understand why the Borders line stopped at Tweedbank,. I thought Melrose would have been a better place to "end the line". It is a popular place with visitors, BGH is nearby and the rugby 7s draw a crowd. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I could never understand why the Borders line stopped at Tweedbank,. I thought Melrose would have been a better place to "end the line". It is a popular place with visitors, BGH is nearby and the rugby 7s draw a crowd. 

Same here, why stop at Tweedbank when Melrose is a matter of a couple of miles further down and all that it offers, which is certainly more than what is at Tweedbank, in fact the only thing in Tweedbank is Herges, which I've never been to.

18 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Melrose Bypass was built on the old railway. It is possible, but not easy or indeed inexpensive.

2 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The Melrose Bypass was built on the old railway. It is possible, but not easy or indeed inexpensive.

Right enough as the road passes by the old Melrose station.

9 hours ago, Dunks said:

It amazes me that 150 years ago we were building tunnels underneath the New Town and Calton Hill for trains, but now anything like that is immediately ruled out as too expensive.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

It amazes me that 150 years ago we were building tunnels underneath the New Town and Calton Hill for trains, but now anything like that is immediately ruled out as too expensive.

Navvies provided a cheap labour force back then and made big engineering projects affordable. Now most of the money goes to feasibility studies even before tenders are issued and the big greedy contractors then bid. 

27 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Navvies provided a cheap labour force back then and made big engineering projects affordable. Now most of the money goes to feasibility studies even before tenders are issued and the big greedy contractors then bid. 

Health and Safety is a tad different now as well. ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Health and Safety is a tad different now as well. ?

Just checked and 73 workers sadly died during the building of the Forth Bridge. Definitely a good thing that things have changed but many of the countries greatest structures would not have been built with today's rules in place. 

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Just checked and 73 workers sadly died during the building of the Forth Bridge. Definitely a good thing that things have changed but many of the countries greatest structures would not have been built with today's rules in place. 

Indeed. I found an article a while back about the deaths of a few workers during the construction of the Scotland street tunnel. They hit a water source from the spring which provided for the old Nor Loch, tunnel flooded in seconds - it was the force of the water rather than drowning that got them. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Indeed. I found an article a while back about the deaths of a few workers during the construction of the Scotland street tunnel. They hit a water source from the spring which provided for the old Nor Loch, tunnel flooded in seconds - it was the force of the water rather than drowning that got them. 

Nowadays they would have geophysed the ground first but it was a game of chance back then. 

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Nowadays they would have geophysed the ground first but it was a game of chance back then. 

They were apparently aware of it but had no way of knowing exactly where it was, as you say. 

Matthew Le Tissier
On 06/09/2018 at 21:59, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My next door neighbours moved from Edinburgh (Leith) down to Innerleithen, the guy gets the bus into work which takes around about 90 minutes and he's told me that that is quicker than it used to take him travelling from Leith to his work at the other side on Edinburgh, notwithstanding the fact that they have a mortgage for a 3 bedroom house at about half the cost their rent used to cost them in Leith.

Not the Borders, but I’ve just moved to Dunfermline and it’s quicker for me to get from Dunfermline to Asda Leith then it did Moredun to Asda.

On 08/09/2018 at 23:00, Matthew Le Tissier said:

Not the Borders, but I’ve just moved to Dunfermline and it’s quicker for me to get from Dunfermline to Asda Leith then it did Moredun to Asda.

There’s a real problem with inner city  transport in Edinburgh. 

Continually making streets slower and smaller, while having a complete over reliance on buses has always been a recipe for disaster.

The myth of having the best bus service in the UK (complete nonsense) has held us back as well imo. 

14 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

There’s a real problem with inner city  transport in Edinburgh. 

Continually making streets slower and smaller, while having a complete over reliance on buses has always been a recipe for disaster.

The myth of having the best bus service in the UK (complete nonsense) has held us back as well imo. 

If I'm in the city centre Haymarket to Waverley and a mile or so north or south of princes street I generally walk. So long as it's not chucking it down it's more pleasant and just as quick than bussing it. 

4 hours ago, EIEIO said:

If I'm in the city centre Haymarket to Waverley and a mile or so north or south of princes street I generally walk. So long as it's not chucking it down it's more pleasant and just as quick than bussing it. 

Exactly. It’s pointless taking transport inside the city centre because you’re quicker walking anywhere. 

The added fact almost all buses are filtered through Princes St almost exeracerbates it. 

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

The added fact almost all buses are filtered through Princes St almost exeracerbates it. 

That was the worst decision in decades.

Instead of 5-6 buses servicing the city centre, they somehow decided that almost every bus HAD to come into town.

All it did was duplicate long stretches of routes and congest the city centre.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

That was the worst decision in decades.

Instead of 5-6 buses servicing the city centre, they somehow decided that almost every bus HAD to come into town.

All it did was duplicate long stretches of routes and congest the city centre.

I was told a while back that there’s something written into how Lothian Buses operate that all routes have to be profitable. 

They should have 5/6 routes service the city centre as you say. Run them along the main arterial routes in and out of the city, every 3/4 mins would be doable. Colour them, so that they’re easy to use for tourists and can be visually integrated with the trams on maps. Run expresses during rush house and peak times. 

Then you run numbered buses that cross the city. Introduce an Oyster card system and zoning meaning cost is on distance, not the number of buses you take. 

It’s not that difficult but all that ever happens is tinkering around the edges.