Borders rail link

davemclaren

Has anyone managed to get a golden ticket, or know of some one who has for the first journey on Sep 5th. Unfortunately i will be in Shetland this weekend so will miss the opening of this historical event. 

My mum's friend has got one. No idea how.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Carl Fredrickson

• Currahee!

Nice one. Hoping to go on a steam special on the 16th September.

That sounds good, That's my week off between night shifts try and obtain tickets for this. Can't believe i will miss the opening of the line on the 5th.

• 1 month later...

?10.40 gala< >edin off peak return .

Here a list of bars in galashiels ,

Ladhope - locals bar

Bridge inn - good live music and pool tables

Golden Lion - food drink and weekend entertainment

Hunters hall - a wetherspoons

Reivers - Provo sympathisers

Harrow - seen better days

Glue pot - Hun bar

Salmon inn - never been in looks ok

Auld mill - not bad small bar

Woodcutter - avoid

jambos are go!

Wish it well. Hae my doubts though. My main trips to the Borders are to Kelso for the races. Cant see me leaving the car and take a 2 or three stage journey to get there in a longer time.

Wish it well. Hae my doubts though. My main trips to the Borders are to Kelso for the races. Cant see me leaving the car and take a 2 or three stage journey to get there in a longer time.

Kelso races could be a big winner from this as it allows people who would otherwise drive to have a drink?

Kelso races could be a big winner from this as it allows people who would otherwise drive to have a drink?

The train won't have any effect on Kelso races.

Gala to Kelso is about 16 miles and the buses are rubbish. You'd need a taxi.

Some entreprising borders mini bus forms might think differently.

Going on a train into town this afternoon, hopefully. First time on that line since I was 5 in 1962.

Steam train next week as well. Choo choo.

Maybe.

There's a railway station about the same distance away at Berwick and it's not made much difference.

jambos are go!

I understand there is likely to be a free bus service put on by the Racecourse at least on a trial basis. Not enough to tempt me though given the extra time and hassle.

Campaign in place to have it extended to Hawick so Kelso might be easier to get to.

Campaign in place to have it extended to Hawick so Kelso might be easier to get to.

Hawick is further away from Kelso than Gala.

Mind you the route would be near St Boswells which is about 8 or 9 miles from Kelso.

Hawick is further away from Kelso than Gala.

Mind you the route would be near St Boswells which is about 8 or 9 miles from Kelso.

St Boswells was where I had in mind (no sure where Hawick came from!).

St Boswells was where I had in mind (no sure where Hawick came from!).

:laugh:

Not much difference between Hawick and St Boswells.....:laugh:

Personally I would have preferred the route to have been through Penicuik, Leadburn, Eddleston, Peebles, Cardrona, Innerleithen, Walkerburn, Clovenfords then into Gala, rather than the route they chose, however in saying that the Peebles route was going to cost a lot more and involve several new bridges over the River Tweed. 

If they had chosen the Peebles route that would have been a major boost of tourism along this route and perhaps would have brought some jobs to this area as well. 

Carl Fredrickson

I am so pleased it is open and hope it will be a success. I work in Edinburgh and have family in Gala so it will prove beneficial to us. 

My 5 year old son is train daft so next Saturday we will use it to go to Gala. 

• 1 month later...

Is this a great investment for Midlothian and the Borders or a new equivalent of the Edinburgh trams project? Personally I'm looking forward to it. smile.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/south_of_scotland/8546096.stm

Well, almost 2 months in and it seems to have been a great success. Problems mainly seem to be under capacity on some services.

It's well under capacity.

2 coaches is pish.

I've used it midweek afternoons, well before the rush hour and it's packed by the time it leaves Waverley or Tweedbank and the amount of :seething: faces that greet it at every station on the line is bad news. People will get fed up of having to stand all the way or wait for the next train and go back to using cars.

Scotrail need to have 4 coaches all day long and 6 at peak times.

Edited by Cade

2 coaches is pish.

I've used it midweek afternoons, well before the rush hour and it's packed by the time it leaves Waverley or Tweedbank and the amount of :seething: faces that greet it at every station on the line is bad news. People will get fed up of having to stand all the way or wait for the next train and go back to using cars.

Used it 4 times so far and always got a seat. Guess I was lucky.

The_razors_edge

Well, almost 2 months in and it seems to have been a great success. Problems mainly seem to be under capacity on some services.

It was an absolute shambles the day I went down (Wednesday 14th October to be exact). Got to Gala no problem on the 11.25 train, although it was a bit stop start and arrived 20 minutes late. Unfortunately, there was also some steam train running that day. Planned on getting the 15.32 train back to Waverley. Got to Gala station about 15.20. Arrived to find the 15.32 train was cancelled as had the 15.00 train. At this point the station at Gala was hoaching. Having a 5 and 2 year old with me I really needed a seat for them on that train. Luckily my mum drove us down to tweedbank so we could get on the train first and get the kids a seat. The train arrived at tweedbank with 2 (yes 2!) carriages for the equivalent number of people to fill about 6 carriages. Train was rammed! People being refused access to the train at stow because it was so busy. Very badly organised and not a great advert for the rail link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 coaches is pish.

Despite taking carriages off the Fife Circle to serve the Borders line. 

Shanks said no

It took years and years of complaining before the Bathgate line got more carriages, enjoy the squeeze borderers.

Got family down that neck of the woods & they were telling me its continually rammed at peak times due to there being only 2 carriages but they are not complaining as they have been to Edinburgh several times free of charge due to the conductor not being able to reach everyone for tickets.

Its losing money already!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Apparently they're having trouble finding extra carriages due to the fact they've used old trains! I'm ITK.

I use the new station at Shawfair most days and more often than not the trains are 2 coaches and are rammed to / from Newcraighall - not so bad after that.

Rumour has it that Scotrail have been speaking to DRS who provide locos and coaches for the morning / evening Fife Circle service with a view to running these sets all day - which would free up some units to increase capacity on the Borders Line. Whether anything happens we'll need to wait and see.

Bungalow Bill

Been on it 4 times and never had my ticket checked, have seen plenty folk not even bothering to buy tickets.

When it goes under (which it will under the fulfilment of time) the operators will only have themselves to blame.

Been on it 4 times and never had my ticket checked, have seen plenty folk not even bothering to buy tickets.

When it goes under (which it will under the fulfilment of time) the operators will only have themselves to blame.

It won't go under. It will be heavily subsidised by Edinburgh - Glasgow and rail travel down south.

Do you think the lines to Oban, Fort William, Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh and the Far North lines make money? Do you reckon that those will go under?

Do you think the lines to Oban, Fort William, Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh and the Far North lines make money? Do you reckon that those will go under?

Good point. I got the back of 9 train to Fort William back in Aug, it was 4 carriages and I could have sat anywhere I liked on each carriage it was that empty. It runs 3 times a day and id imagine it wouldnt be that much busier any other time.

Good point. I got the back of 9 train to Fort William back in Aug, it was 4 carriages and I could have sat anywhere I liked on each carriage it was that empty. It runs 3 times a day and id imagine it wouldnt be that much busier any other time.

Certainly never seen the train to Fort William like that - especially not in August. It's usually 4 carriages to Crianlarich where it splits to 2 to Ft William and 2 to Oban.

My concern about services to Ft Wm, Oban, Stranraer, Thurso etc is that they are now being marketed as 'Scotland's Scenic Lines'. Sounds like they are little more than tourist novelties and makes it easier to marginalise them. While the Highland Line to Inverness is receiving ?100s of millions of investment, the West Highland Line to FW and Oban is getting some maps on the train tables.

Edit to add - been on the Borders Railway a couple of times Edinburgh to Gala. Was very busy both times, although 4 carriages (I think) but managed to get a seat. Feels like a suburban commuter train as far as Gorebridge then more 'countryside'. Beats the A7 hands-down.

Edited by FWJ

Bungalow Bill

Absolutely no idea, have never used those trains.

Anymore train related questions?

Bungalow Bill

Edit to add - been on the Borders Railway a couple of times Edinburgh to Gala. Was very busy both times, although 4 carriages (I think) but managed to get a seat. Feels like a suburban commuter train as far as Gorebridge then more 'countryside'. Beats the A7 hands-down.

I've seen no reduction in traffic on the A7 during commuting times. Gutting.

Been on it 4 times. Various times of the day and only didn't get my ticket checked once.

Out of those 4 times I was on it, they did have a larger 4 carriage train but this was once. Other times it was jam packed with only 2 carriages.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

Really? That's disappointing. Is the park n ride popular at sheriffhall? Do you know?

I didn't mean the A7 was any quieter or a faster drive, just that it's such a poor road going on the train is much more relaxing!

Got family down that neck of the woods & they were telling me its continually rammed at peak times due to there being only 2 carriages but they are not complaining as they have been to Edinburgh several times free of charge due to the conductor not being able to reach everyone for tickets.

Its losing money already!!!

Only "free" if you don't end your journey at a station with barriers. Waverley has these.

Only "free" if you don't end your journey at a station with barriers. Waverley has these.

The borders link doesn't arrive at a platform with barriers.

Bungalow Bill

Really? That's disappointing. Is the park n ride popular at sheriffhall? Do you know?

We turn left at Melville so I'm not sure. My assumption on the park and ride is that it would be better placed on the Midlothian side of sheriffhall and set back from the A7. I wouldn't use Sheriffhall due to the traffic at the roundabout.

Bungalow Bill

Depends on the platform though. I've never had to go through barriers when using the Borders Train.

Bungalow Bill

I didn't mean the A7 was any quieter or a faster drive, just that it's such a poor road going on the train is much more relaxing!

You're spot on there.

Bungalow Bill

Surely it would make economic sense for most folk south of gorebridge to take the train, unless they have free parking in town?

It makes perfect sense to get the train from Gorebridge, but ?100 a month for a train pass? Is that cheap? Genuine question I might add.

Agree that there's been no decrease in A7 traffic which is disappointing.

That seems counter intuitive unless the only people that have switched to the train previously used the bus.

It makes perfect sense to get the train from Gorebridge, but ?100 a month for a train pass? Is that cheap? Genuine question I might add.

I'm at Gorebridge aswell and work in central Edinburgh.

Take the car as I've got free parking at work. That's the clincher for me over the train.

Train is a good option for me though especially if I'm going to the pub after work.

Carl Fredrickson

Used it a couple of times to go from Gorebridge to Gala and both times it was a 4 coach carriage with lots of room. 

Heard lots of horror stories about overcrowding and trains not stopping due them being full. 

We as a family were hoping to use it to go into Edinburgh with the kids for a show just before Christmas, but the uncertainty of possibly not getting on the train and missing the show has put us off. 

With it proving so popular I would hope that the railway operator would get more carriages on the line. 

Bungalow Bill

Used it a couple of times to go from Gorebridge to Gala and both times it was a 4 coach carriage with lots of room.

Heard lots of horror stories about overcrowding and trains not stopping due them being full.

We as a family were hoping to use it to go into Edinburgh with the kids for a show just before Christmas, but the uncertainty of possibly not getting on the train and missing the show has put us off.

With it proving so popular I would hope that the railway operator would get more carriages on the line.

I've only ever got on the train at the weekends and there has always been at least 4 carriages and plenty seats too, getting on at Gorebridge.

Saying that I've just driven past the train with only 2 carriages.