London

roscomcpie

I will be visiting London with the wife and staying in the Marble Arch area for a long weekend at the end of February. Can anyone recommend any good pubs / restaurants in that area (well within walking distance)?

Thanks

I will be visiting London with the wife and staying in the Marble Arch area for a long weekend at the end of February. Can anyone recommend any good pubs / restaurants in that area (well within walking distance)?

Thanks

Shepherds Market is not far away, just behind Picaddilly. It has some superb Lebonese/Turkish restuarants. Two in particular are next door to each other. One really expensive, one not. But the difference between them on food quality is non existent.

Good shout from Deek - if you're feeling adventurous, take a wander up the Edgeware Road and eat wherever looks busy. If it's jammed with locals it's normally a good sign - presuming you like Lebanese/Arabic food.

Failing that, just head up Bond Street/Oxford St. - plenty of options on the side streets off of there.

Marylebone High St. has a lot of good (albeit pricey) boozers.

You pat my back Dave I will pat yours. Edgeware Road has a plethora of Middle Eastern Restuarants of various quality.

For a treat try the fixed three course lunce at Gordon Ramsays restuarant in Claridges Hotel. It is in Mayfair near to Bond Street tube.

?30 for a fixed 3 course menu.

Stay away from the wine menu unless you are really flush, I went once and it doubles the price of your meal.

Oh and you must book in advance.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

London has everything you want.

Salt Bar on Edgware Road is pretty good (a bit pricey but hey it's London)

Covent Garden is a 20 minute stroll away or Shepherds Bush is 5 minutes in a taxi west.

Soho's a stroll too but best avoided on a weekend (imho), too many tourist traps and rear ends ****ed up starting trouble (Alright in the daytime though)

It all depends on budget really.

I lived there for 8 years so if you want to know more drop us a pm

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I just remembered this place, its the other end of Oxford Street from you but its well worth a visit (its a real undiscovered gem of a place or at least it was)

Foods a bit bizarre but very very tasty and I've never had anything like it (the okonomiyaki not the teppanyaki)

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/507.htm

Nelly Terraces

Walk down to Chinatown, off Shaftesbury Ave, and Soho, if you fancy some chinese. Go to a basic looking place called the 'Cantonese' it's opposite the gondola at the east end of Chinatown, you can't miss it. Best chinese food I've ever tasted, it's actually known as HArrys after the bloke who runs it, honestly, I didn't really like chinese food till I moved there and used to go there loads. Harry the Hammer, top geezer, I always make a point of nipping in and having some superb grub every time I re-visit London. Also, it's 1 min walk from the dutch/belgian bar De Hemms, in Macclesfield St, smashing place, full of excellent imported beers. You'd have a good night just going to those 2 places alone. Also, nearby, the Angel in St Martins pub, a real old fashioned boozer, just off Denmark St, you can still get a pint for under 2 quid in there - right in the heart of the west end, it's my fave boozer in London.

Cheers, have a goodie.

NT

PS good shout for the Edgeware rd, loads of arabic places there where the locals hang out, you cant go wrong there either.

Walter Bishop

stayed in hyde park in June, so not far from marble arch, plenty of choice, leicester square and convent garden have great choices, and there is a cracking bar in soho right opposite the theatre had a nice but very expenxive meal there. ?14 for a pint and a vodka + lime!!!

)

Covent Garden is a 20 minute stroll away or Shepherds Bush is 5 minutes in a taxi west.

It is 2km as the crow flies from Marble Arch to Covent Garden. :)

I just remembered this place, its the other end of Oxford Street from you but its well worth a visit (its a real undiscovered gem of a place or at least it was)

Foods a bit bizarre but very very tasty and I've never had anything like it (the okonomiyaki not the teppanyaki)

Great site. Thanks for that

I will however be staying away from this place based on some of the reviews.

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1626.htm

:bootyshake::4_1_72:

We always go to Citrus at the Park Lane(Sheraton)Great value for Picadilly.Go through to nthe Palm Court for an after dinner drink.Not to far from Marble Arch.Park Lane was featured on Trial and Retribution last night,great hotel

Perth2Paisley

I've been here too, it's ace.

Sexton Hardcastle

staying with london, going down next weekend for the arsenal newcastle fa cup game. anyone know of a decent nite spot? never been to london so will be intresting. expensive im sure

I P Knightley

Covent Garden, good but pubs are expensive.

Shepherd's Bush - awful. I worked there for 15 years. It was a hole when I started and it went downhill.

Marble Arch - not much choice but to go Lebanese. Head down to Hyde Park Corner and you've got the Hard Rock Cafe - it's an experience but not the cheapest hamburger you'll ever buy.

I agree with the guys about Shepherd's Market. Kind of across the road from the Ritz. A handful of proper pubs and a variety of restaurants. Further east and you've got Piccadilly Circus and Wardour Street/Chinatown - probably the best value food you'll get in town.

Get up the Edgeware Road. Don't go for a fancy Lebanese place but as someone mentioned before check out the clientele. Lebanese are great hosts and if you aren't familiar with the food will be more than happy to chat to you and recommend good stuff.

Nelly Terraces

my fave boozer in london. in the heart of the west end, but tucked away a bit, nae tourists, just a good mixture of your usual london eccentrics, music heads from nearby denmark st, theatre types, literary dudes, class joint and under 2 quid a pint (and a dart board in one of the bars!). lovely.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/20/2012/Angel/Soho

I P Knightley
my fave boozer in london. in the heart of the west end, but tucked away a bit, nae tourists, just a good mixture of your usual london eccentrics, music heads from nearby denmark st, theatre types, literary dudes, class joint and under 2 quid a pint (and a dart board in one of the bars!). lovely.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/20/2012/Angel/Soho

I've sunk a few at the Angel. My current favourite is the Old Nick: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/13/13121/Old_Nick/Holborn but for someone stopping at Marble Arch it's a bit further than you might need to go - unless you're visiting the British Museum or Great Ormond St Hospital.

Archived