'The Masons'

Alan_R

Not bizarre to me now that I have spoken to him and my step-dad about it... I must confess to having been ignorant of the fact that you can be a freemason and follow a different faith back then.

Guess I just didn't really know much about it and assumed that you needed to be protestant.

I find them a bit secretive to be honest!! :biggrin:

Guess you still don't know much about it!

Religion and politics are strictly taboo subjects in the lodges and have no bearing on whether you would be accepted or not.

:ninja:

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Guess you still don't know much about it!

Religion and politics are strictly taboo subjects in the lodges and have no bearing on whether you would be accepted or not.

:ninja:

Hey don't get me wrong, i confess that I do know very little about it but the friend who is one said that you need to believe in a god or a supreme being, I think my step-dad also said this but i am not sure. I am an atheist and so that would exclude me no?

If not i would be glad to be wrong and would probably belatedly take up the offer of being put forward to join.

I am not claiming to know about how it works, I don't, just telling you what I have been told and who I know that are a part of it.

Can someone who does not believe in a god or creator join then?

Hey don't get me wrong, i confess that I do know very little about it but the friend who is one said that you need to believe in a god or a supreme being, I think my step-dad also said this but i am not sure. I am an atheist and so that would exclude me no?

If not i would be glad to be wrong and would probably belatedly take up the offer of being put forward to join.

I am not claiming to know about how it works, I don't, just telling you what I have been told and who I know that are a part of it.

Can someone who does not believe in a god or creator join then?

I'm no expert either mate but you don't have to believe in a "God". You do have to say that you believe in a Supreme Being, however you don't have to explain what or who this is.

So in answer to your question, yes you can join even though you don't believe in God, they won't even ask you the question.

Wasn't having a go at you, was just trying to point out that it has nothing to do with religion. :biggrin:

Guest Bilel Mohsni
I'm no expert either mate but you don't have to believe in a "God". You do have to say that you believe in a Supreme Being, however you don't have to explain what or who this is.

So in answer to your question, yes you can join even though you don't believe in God, they won't even ask you the question.

Wasn't having a go at you, was just trying to point out that it has nothing to do with religion. :biggrin:

Good to know mate, cheers. I would probably still be a bit of a hypocrite though since I don't really 'believe' in even a 'supreme being'... Cheers though, always nice to learn. :biggrin:

the masons :dontgetit:

Always wondered what the deal with this is...

I get it is some sort of secret society and they're not supposed to reveal the ins and out. Supposedly once you're in thats it...

but whats the jist of it all?

:mw_confused:

It`s all on the internet if you can be bothered to look for it. The official answer to your query is as follows;

Freemasonry is a society of men concerned with moral and spiritual values. Its members are taught its precepts by a series of ritual dramas, which follow ancient forms, and use stonemasons' customs and tools as allegorical guides.

The essential qualification for admission into and continuing membership is a belief in a Supreme Being. Membership is open to men of any race or religion who can fulfil this essential qualification and who are of good repute.

Freemasonry is not a religion, nor is it a substitute for religion. The one essential qualification means that Freemasonry is open to men of many religions and it expects and encourages them to continue to follow their own faith. It is not permitted for Freemasons to discuss these subjects at Masonic meetings.

If still interested after reading that, and want to be one. Ask one.

Your Mrs will be a member of the Eastern Star and have her own nights out, but......do they pump the goat or vice-versa?

:wacko:

There are men in this order too. Might not be the goat being pumped:dribble:

There are men in this order too. Might not be the goat being pumped:dribble:

Beat me to it:ninja: OES is not all wimmun.

its like some sort of inside joke. reckon they are all laughing their ***** off. much a do about nothing imo.

Pretty much sums up the Masonic hype. Alot of people get rather worked up about it, thinking there is more too it when there is not.

My Dad, three uncles, my step-dad and a cousin are all masons. I have been asked if I would like to join but as I am an atheist, it would not work.

Bizarrely my girlfriend's best friend's felly is a Roman Catholic, Celtic supporting Mason.

This is one of Scotlands biggest myths. I think it all stems from the Orange Lodge which is a seperate order and is a purely Protestant organisation. The masonic lodge is a multi faith organisation with many Jews and Catholics members (and I believe there are Muslim members although I don't know any).

This is one of Scotlands biggest myths. I think it all stems from the Orange Lodge which is a seperate order and is a purely Protestant organisation. The masonic lodge is a multi faith organisation with many Jews and Catholics members (and I believe there are Muslim members although I don't know any).

My father in law and his best mate are both masons down south. He's a Lebanese Maronite Christian and his mate is an Egyptian Muslim.

They love it.

Quite correct. I have seen two or three obligated on the Koran. One being in a Jewish Lodge also.

Archived