'The Masons'

Alan_R

the masons :dontgetit:

Always wondered what the deal with this is...

I get it is some sort of secret society and they're not supposed to reveal the ins and out. Supposedly once you're in thats it...

but whats the jist of it all?

:mw_confused:

the masons :dontgetit:

Always wondered what the deal with this is...

I get it is some sort of secret society and they're not supposed to reveal the ins and out. Supposedly once you're in thats it...

but whats the jist of it all?

:mw_confused:

The Masons call it a "society with secrets", what it is about I could not tell you.

I am not a Mason, that is why I cannot tell you.

I am not a mason but a lot of my friends are.

My friend was Master of his lodge in Brighton for a year and gave me a guided tour of his Hall. No secrets.

What they do, is look after and out for each other.

It is a social thing more often than not.

My friend was Master of his lodge in Brighton for a year and gave me a guided tour of his Hall. No secrets.

My father in laws a mason - don't know what its about but the social thing seems to make sense - he's always peshed when he comes back from a meeting.

AAAAAAAAAAAH! I have finally come of age!!! i know EXACTALLY what the masons is now!

Its an excuse to go to the pub and get peshed with your mates that the missus can't possibly have any objections to!

:thumb:

Doctor FinnBarr
AAAAAAAAAAAH! I have finally come of age!!! i know EXACTALLY what the masons is now!

Its an excuse to go to the pub and get peshed with your mates that the missus can't possibly have any objections to!

:thumb:

Your Mrs will be a member of the Eastern Star and have her own nights out, but......do they pump the goat or vice-versa?

:wacko:

Tony Robinson's doing a prog on More 4 the now. My Dad was a mason, but it was sort of expected of a male Bank of Scotland employee in the 50s. He never went, but still wouldn't tell me a damn thing about it. That always intrigued me.

Tony Robinson's doing a prog on More 4 the now. My Dad was a mason, but it was sort of expected of a male Bank of Scotland employee in the 50s. He never went, but still wouldn't tell me a damn thing about it. That always intrigued me.

I know some one similiar.

What is the North and Eastern star?

its like some sort on inside joke. reckon they are all laughing their ***** off. much a do about nothing imo.

Everything you need to know is available on internet these days. However, it is all too boring to read through or understand unless you get involved.

Doctor FinnBarr
I know some one similiar.

What is the North and Eastern star?its like some sort on inside joke. reckon they are all laughing their ***** off. much a do about nothing imo.

No idea about the North Star but the Eastern Star is a wummins masons!

:527:

Masons get involved in helping local buiness', charities and organisations.

Regardless of what a lot of folk think, the masons dont have a "must be a gid proddy" to join thing going on. Infact quite the opposite and im sure one of there first rules is to " respect each others policital/religous views equally.

I think thats it in a nutshell. Nice big boys club, few drinks every week. It's all the "not what you know, it's who you know" ideal.

Without sounding like Smashey & Nicey, they do a lotta work for charidee. We play with our band, not a flute band, at a few lodges holding charity fundraisers.

Miller Jambo 60
Can't tell ye it's a secret

Funny handshakes, trouser legs rolled up, goat rides and a pass in to Edinburgh council:biggrin:

About sums it up.

Woman have Harvey Nicks and cocktails now..why on earth would we need the Eastern Star?

My grandfather was a mason. I never understood it and he was buried with those secrets. He supported Dundee though so perhaps that was one of them. I have no idea but nor do I actually care.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
i know the handshake. it's a bit gay to be honest.

No surprise there Vicvandyke.

This is 1 of Vics masonic rings.

41kkrdvteul__sl500_aa280_.jpg

No secrets, you can read all about it.

link?

any ive seen its all drinking from skulls and funny symbols. I very much doubt that is actually what goes on.

My late father was in the Royal Arch. No idea what that is tbh. :wacko:

It's a pub in Dundee Dave....not surprised he kept it secret.:biggrin:

arch4.JPG

Here be it: http://www.supgrac.com/.

Me, the only club I think I could ever join is Calvin and Hobbes' G.R.O.S.S. club. Watch out Susie Derkins!

neverlikedElvis

I used to work with a girl who lived next door to Tony Robinson. she came from aristocracy, her nephew married John Major's daughter. she told me Robinson was a weird, weird guy. would regularly hold parties and in each room there's be a tv and video showing something he'd been in. she said he was a nerdy wee creep, I was sort of disappointed,

portobellojambo1

As was my late father, amongst many other organisations, the Knights of the Temple for example, all of which he enjoyed, and made many friends through.

I am a Freemason, do I intend telling anyone what it is about, nope.

If it is something which interests someone, based on anything they've heard, whether through friends or relatives, they will join of their own free will.

As was my late father, amongst many other organisations, the Knights of the Temple for example, all of which he enjoyed, and made many friends through.

If it is something which interests someone, based on anything they've heard, whether through friends or relatives, they will join of their own free will.

Well said that bro..err man!:biggrin::biggrin:

jambojackbilly
I used to work with a girl who lived next door to Tony Robinson. she came from aristocracy, her nephew married John Major's daughter. she told me Robinson was a weird, weird guy. would regularly hold parties and in each room there's be a tv and video showing something he'd been in. she said he was a nerdy wee creep, I was sort of disappointed,

did you bang her :biggrin:

the masons dont have a "must be a gid proddy" to join thing going on. Infact quite the opposite and im sure one of there first rules is to " respect each others policital/religous views equally.

Not quite. As I understand it, there's nothing political - indeed, this is frowned upon - but members must believe in a "Supreme Being".

Not quite. As I understand it, there's nothing political - indeed, this is frowned upon - but members must believe in a "Supreme Being".

My understanding is that they do all indeed believe in you mate:dribble:

Correct.

My own father is a mason. Me it is of no interest.

John

My dad is / was a mason as well. He pretty much had to if he wanted a liquor licence in my home town in the 70's/80's as all of the other licence holders and police were masons also. He stopped going when I was a tiny kid but he always refuses to tell me anything about what they do other than help each other, local businesses and charities. I'm not really that interested so I've never pushed the subject but I know that even if I did, he'd never tell me any way.

My own knowledge and experience of masonry is pretty limited also. I remember once working behind the bar in my dad's boozer when a guy came running in asking if there was a lodge nearby or any masons present. His wife had just been knocked down by a car and taken to Edinburgh Royal and he had to go and collect their kids before making his way to hospital to be with her.He also realised that he had no money, wallet or car keys and this was before mobile phones. A regular in my old man's boozer called the guy over, shook his hand and they spoke quietly for about two minutes. The regular boozer then gave the guy some cash for a taxi to Edinburgh, they shook hands and the guy ran off to get his kids.

I guess they just help each other if they need. Sometimes with things like this but sometimes with things like promotion within the workplace, favours in legal matters with the police, beneficial pricing within business dealings and stuff like that. I'd also guess that as less people of authority are probably likely to be masons these days, they don't have as much power or influence as they once had and it's mostly a social thing.

Count me in! When do I start? :biggrin:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

My Dad, three uncles, my step-dad and a cousin are all masons. I have been asked if I would like to join but as I am an atheist, it would not work.

Bizarrely my girlfriend's best friend's felly is a Roman Catholic, Celtic supporting Mason.

My Dad, three uncles, my step-dad and a cousin are all masons. I have been asked if I would like to join but as I am an atheist, it would not work.

Bizarrely my girlfriend's best friend's felly is a Roman Catholic, Celtic supporting Mason.

Why?

Guest Bilel Mohsni
Why?

Not bizarre to me now that I have spoken to him and my step-dad about it... I must confess to having been ignorant of the fact that you can be a freemason and follow a different faith back then.

Guess I just didn't really know much about it and assumed that you needed to be protestant.

I find them a bit secretive to be honest!! :biggrin:

Archived