Would you pay at the gate ?

RoaldJensen

MacDonald Jardine
To put this into perspective.

A good seat for the sound of music at the playhouse eill set you back the best part of ?40,as will a standing ticket for the Prodigy.

Yes but not many people go and watch the Sound of Music or the Prodigy 20 odd times a year. They treat these things as special nights out.

Football used to be the thing a lot of folk did every week and it's now being compared to luxuries.

I wouldn't pay to watch two other SPL teams, unless maybe it decided Hearts winning the league or being relegated.

Even the lower leagues, I used to go to watch Meadowbank off an on if they were playing midweek or Hearts didn't have a game.

I wouldn't pay the prices they are asking for the Third Division now.

Apart from being in the pub either side of the game, I rarely watch football that doesn't involve Hearts. I like watching cup finals, and the play-offs etc but I wouldn't turn on my tv to watch Aberdeen v Hamilton or some other humdrum SPL snoozefest.

Re season tickets: I've been a ST holder since 1995; roughly the start of the Wheatfield generation.

Yet before '95, I never felt the need to buy one, and none of my Hearts-supporting friends had one, or at least I don't think they did. I went to 50 Hearts matches in season 1991/92 and I guess I must've had to go into Gorgie to buy tickets for about 15 of those games.

These days, you just buy a ST, in the same way that you just buy a new TV if the old one brakes down. Post-materialistic values and all that.

I still enjoy supporting the team, even if these are lean times. It makes the good times all the better.

PresidentRomanov
Apart from being in the pub either side of the game, I rarely watch football that doesn't involve Hearts. I like watching cup finals, and the play-offs etc but I wouldn't turn on my tv to watch Aberdeen v Hamilton or some other humdrum SPL snoozefest.

Re season tickets: I've been a ST holder since 1995; roughly the start of the Wheatfield generation.

Yet before '95, I never felt the need to buy one, and none of my Hearts-supporting friends had one, or at least I don't think they did. I went to 50 Hearts matches in season 1991/92 and I guess I must've had to go into Gorgie to buy tickets for about 15 of those games.

These days, you just buy a ST, in the same way that you just buy a new TV if the old one brakes down. Post-materialistic values and all that.

I still enjoy supporting the team, even if these are lean times. It makes the good times all the better.[/QUOTE]

Spot on BB, these fair weather supporters will never know how we felt in 98 and 06, the feeling that you've really really earned it, makes it all worth while :teeth:

I never renewed my season in Romanov's first season as i didnt trust him . Only missed one game as i was away for weekend.

Renewed the next season tho... :flag2:

portobellojambo1

A good seat for the sound of music at the playhouse eill set you back the best part of ?40,as will a standing ticket for the Prodigy.

In relation to what you state above, compared with following Hearts topcat, the nights out you do mention are probably nights out that you'd only go to once a year, whereas with a football S/T the price tends to repeat itself every weekend, for the best part of 9 months a year. If a Hearts S/T was only ?40 per year I couldn't imagine any complaining about that.

In relation to the questions RJ asks the one re. paying to go and watch a match involving two other SPL clubs is no. The SPL, from top to bottom, is sh*t awful, an overpriced product given what is on offer, and I'd have no wish to pay that sort of money to watch a couple of teams I've got no interest in.

In relation to Hearts would I pay at the gate if I didn't have a S/T. I'd say probably yes. But I would add I also think that if someone hasn't committed to a S/T and the club are playing God awful it is probably easier for them to give consideration to becoming involved in some other activity on a Saturday.

I don't really have anything else which I consider remotely close to as good as being inside a football stadium with other Hearts fans every weekend, even though I know that on many occasions what I've watched simply wasn't worth the money I'd paid. I know there is nothing to stop me going walking in the hills, shopping, playing golf, playing bowls or sitting in the pub as alternatives, for example. However, I know that whatever of those alternative options I chose for the full duration I'd be wondering how Hearts were getting on, so for me it makes more sense that I'm actually there.

after moving back from London 4 years ago, i bought tickets for most home games for 3 years this is the first year of having a season ticket much easier for me. Like other have said I'm a Hearts fan, will watch big games on telly but don't really enjoy going to watch non hearts games in london watched spurs a handful of time not the same and a few years ago when in aberdeen I went into the away end when raith rovers were up god it was dull. If i canny shout c'mon the hearts at kick off count me out!

Radioactive Mince
Yes. Hearts are my club. It may be garbage at times but we would not be here on KB if we didn't love them.

Here is a question for you all..I went to my first game at 8 and i want more than anything to take my son to the games.

He's 4 in May..should I wait that long? My dad's saying aged 10 is probs right...that will probably kill me as I want a ST again!!

Kitster...

See the 'Your call - boy talking about us' thread for my (and others') views on that subject.

I say if he's ready then go for it. You won't really know if he's ready until you take him. At the end of the day, if he's really bored or starts to play up and stresses you out, you can always leave early.

Mince

In response to the OP - if I was not a Hearts fan, with just a passing interest in football, wondering how to spend my Saturday afternoons, then the "product" would not be worth paying for. But I am a Hearts fan - and no matter how bad we are, Heart of Midlothian fc will always be more than just a "product" to me.

The odds of one going along and being entertained are a damn sight higher too I would fancy ?

Also, whilst not being a fan of said band myself, I doubt one would feel the need to walk out the gig at mid point shouting "hey Prodigy lad.............get aff the stage your f**** sh*** :biggrin:

I can't treat it as a hypothetical question dave, it would never happen :teeth:

If I was the type though, I wouldn't have the nerve to go onto the internet, and preach to fans who support the club every week, I believe unless you're contributing to the football club, you don't really deserve a say in how it's run.

I wasnt preaching and I wasnt talking about Hearts.

I was attempting to elicit the opinions of people who pay to watch football in scotland as entertainment if they felt it was value for money.

I'm sorry if it upsets you that I'm still interested in the wellbeing of a club I spent most of my life supporting. Perhaps you should get off the WORLD wide web because Hearts world and the superstore dont seem to think I have a nerve when I buy their products .

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I have to say that despite the better quality and all the rest blah, blah, blah... I rarely watch other football teams or The Premiership etc.

It just doesn't have much apeal to me nowadays... No emotional attachment or sense of 'us' with any of those teams.

I do not go to the football to be entertained even... That would be a nightmare if you did in the SPL sometimes, I go because I support Hearts and I want to see them play and I want them to beat every team they play against, I care little if it is a good performance or not just as long as we win.

Everything else is just a bonus I suppose, I would love to see Hearts playing great football every week in a good quality league but that is not the most important thing for me, just a bonus.

Would I pay to watch Hearts? Yes always, frequently did when when I couldn't afford a season ticket.

Would I pay to watch Hearts or Hibs or any other SPL team if I was not a fan? No probably not but then I would turn down a free season ticket at Old Trafford in favour of a season ticket for Tynie.

:flag2::flag2::flag2::flag2:

Yes. Hearts are my club. It may be garbage at times but we would not be here on KB if we didn't love them.

Here is a question for you all..I went to my first game at 8 and i want more than anything to take my son to the games.

He's 4 in May..should I wait that long? My dad's saying aged 10 is probs right...that will probably kill me as I want a ST again!!

They're all different, but at 9 nine years old and football mad my laddie still doesn't yet really engage with the game for the full 90 minutes. Not at a Hearts game at any rate. :smoking:

He'd prefer to go with his pals to watch Whitehill Welfare or Bonnyrigg Rose, where they can roam freely round the ground when the action on the pitch starts to pall.

The People's Chimp
OK will rephrase ....forget its Hearts.........would you pay ?20 odd quid to watch two SPL teams you didnt support simply for an afternoons entertainment ?

Is the product over priced ?

On occasion, yes. The product is overpriced, but I love a day out at the football. If I wasn't at Tynecastle I'd probably pop out to see a 1st division game, rather than SPL.

The Mighty Thor

It's a difficult question to answer objectively. If you have a ST then you clearly buy into the club rather than the product served up on a Saturday.

I really enjoy going to games home or away, i like the boys i sit next to in the Wheatfield as the crack is usually very good.

In terms of what's on the park and value for money? Not a chance. Watching Hearts under Laszlo is awful. The football is dire, the lack of quality and adventure of our current side is frightening. I wouldn't pay 20 odd quid to watch that pish if i was a neutral.

Scottish football is in a bit of trouble. I noticed that Septic only had 50,000 on Saturday. Lots and lots of empty seats.

The Treasurer

I " pay at the gate" for every away match. *

*I'm including all-ticket matches in this even though cash does not actually get handed over at the gate before any nit-pickers point this out.

Sterling Archer
Im not stirring here honestly.

If you didn't already have a season ticket would you shell out the admission money to watch Hearts or any other Scottish team at the moment?

Is the product value for money?

Are Hearts value for money? No.

Does this matter to a Hearts fan? No.

I was at Blackpool v. Sheffield Wed on Tuesday night. ?20 to get in but it made the SPL look skillful. :biggrin:

Bloomin' freezing as well.

Archived