Would you pay at the gate ?

RoaldJensen

Im not stirring here honestly.

If you didn't already have a season ticket would you shell out the admission money to watch Hearts or any other Scottish team at the moment?

Is the product value for money?

Radioactive Mince

If you didn't already have a season ticket would you shell out the admission money to watch Hearts or any other Scottish team at the moment?

Yes.

I'm a Hearts supporter (non-ST holder).

Mince

(Edited a stupid part of my post, which read over crap!)

If I was a neutral and a lover of football would I pay ?15-20 to go and watch an SPL match. No chance. I'd go and watch some junior football for a couple of quid.

But as a Jambo, would I pay to watch the Jam Tarts, course I would!

Love every minute of being at Tynecastle. Wouldnt swap the highs and lows for any other team.

Yes. I have done in the past, will do in the future.

Personally it makes more sense to me to do this, purely on the number of tickets that can be sold, as well as the amount of paper that will be saved by not using the ticketing systems.

***Also, 500th post :)***

I often pay to get into games.

That made me laugh for some reason, dont know if you were being sarcastic but i took it that way. :biggrin:

neverlikedElvis

i'd pay to watch that. great effort. not brilliant, but good enough for me. quite happy, as it happens. :flag2:

That made me laugh for some reason, dont know if you were being sarcastic but i took it that way. :biggrin:

Double edge sword of me usually being a sacastic bugger:biggrin:

Yes.

Mince

Thanks for the reply, you obviously earn more than the minimum wage.

RJ your late night sangria-fuelled threads throw up posts like this quite often, I think its time for your bed.

I liked the "im not stirring, honestly" bit at the start though! :teeth:

I went 2006/7 without a season ticket and ended up paying for every single home game, it turned out a bloody expensive season.

I can't stand listening to Hearts games on the radio when the game is on just a few miles away so I would pay at the gate.

The product is not good value for money but then again, beating Hibs, Celtic or Rangers can sometimes be the best feeling in the world. A small price to pay.:dribble:

OK will rephrase ....forget its Hearts.........would you pay ?20 odd quid to watch two SPL teams you didnt support simply for an afternoons entertainment ?

Is the product over priced ?

Radioactive Mince
OK will rephrase ....forget its Hearts.........would you pay ?20 odd quid to watch two SPL teams you didnt support simply for an afternoons entertainment ?

No and yes.

Although I probably wouldn't pay to watch any two teams from any league I couldn't give a feck about. In saying that, I did go to Barca v Atletico last season so I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Mince

Its been overpriced for years and a hotly debated issue for many years.

Now that the product is even worse we should at least expect a price freeze for a few years as people will not turn up if it is increased again.

In the end the market always dictates.

Radioactive Mince

No, I don't actually. I work as a shoe-shine down Waterloo guv'nor.

(Part-time chimney sweep too).

Mince

Watch the games on Sky and ESPN.

Guess Im not as big a fan as the rest of you.

I'm not sure anyone on this thread is insinuating that.

Yes.

Mince

Same. I work quite a lot of Saturdays and a S/T would not be cost effective. I make as many games as I can and buy my ticket beforehand.

If I'm working or am skint, I don't go. It's a pain in the arse but I can't afford a season ticket but can quite often afford ?20. The game is usually my day/night out for that week though.

God it's depressing being impoverished.

No

Fine.

SPL football is ****ing awful.

It is average-below average and lacking in 'flair'.

Can be exciting now and then though.

It is average-below average and lacking in 'flair'.

Can be exciting now and then though.

Any league will throw up the odd exciting game.

Its really really dire, Scott.

Radioactive Mince
Same. I work quite a lot of Saturdays and a S/T would not be cost effective. I make as many games as I can and buy my ticket beforehand.

If I'm working or am skint, I don't go. It's a pain in the arse but I can't afford a season ticket but can quite often afford ?20. The game is usually my day/night out for that week though.

God it's depressing being impoverished.

I'm skint by choice (saving for 1st house). I was going to buy a ST but when I thought about all the costs involved with matchdays (food, drink, drink, more drink, trains/taxis) I thought 'Nah I'll just pocket the two grand or so this year'.

Think I've only been to about 5 or 6 games this season, if that. Maybe next year...

Mince

started this because I wondered how many neutrals went to football these days. It was a reflection on the attendances thread earlier.

I know for a fact a lot of non committed people used to go to Tynecastle or Easter Road just to see Willie Bauld or Lawrie Reilly it was a huge part of the gate.

When George Best played briefly for Hibs he doubled their attendances.

Thats why I addressed my question to non season ticket holders.....is SCOTTISH football value for money?

Radioactive Mince

Thats why I addressed my question to non season ticket holders.....is SCOTTISH football value for money?

Of course it isn't. It's pish.

Mince

Any league will throw up the odd exciting game.

Its really really dire, Scott.

It feels like it is in terminal decline. No one has the answer to fix it.

Finances govern everything, our scottish cup cant even get a sponsor!

.....is SCOTTISH football value for money?

No. Nothing like it. The prices charged for CAT A games is farcical yet people still pay it. Scottish football urgently needs to take a good look at itself and remodel based on the Scandinavian leagues or it's all going to go even more tits up soon with at least one top club going to the wall. And I don't mean a johnny come lately like Gretna or Livi but a club with a long history and tradition. Only then will it start to get it's act together.

Not a ST Holder but do go to about 10 home games and every away game in the West of Scotland.

Dont mind paying extra to sit in the comfy seats in the Wheatfiled and watch my team. Doesnt bother me a bit.

Do begrudge paying over ?20 to sit in ****holes such as Fir Park, Accies Ground and the like though.

Jam Tarts 1874

Sometimes I have decided to go to away games at the last minute upon hearing that there is a cash turnstyle. I am sure that if there was a cash turnstyle at Tynecastle there would be a few more turning out at the last minute.

As i work every saturday I often end up paying at the gate for the matches I can get time off for.

I'm lucky as being a student I get cheaper tickets but it is seriously overpriced for what you get - the whole SPL is poor, sometimes you get spells where a team will play good football but the lack of competition, a decent quality means most of the time games are pretty much meaningless and dull affairs.

Yes. Hearts are my club. It may be garbage at times but we would not be here on KB if we didn't love them.

Here is a question for you all..I went to my first game at 8 and i want more than anything to take my son to the games.

He's 4 in May..should I wait that long? My dad's saying aged 10 is probs right...that will probably kill me as I want a ST again!!

started this because I wondered how many neutrals went to football these days. It was a reflection on the attendances thread earlier.

I know for a fact a lot of non committed people used to go to Tynecastle or Easter Road just to see Willie Bauld or Lawrie Reilly it was a huge part of the gate.

In a nutshell, NO

However watching Hearts is an 'emotional' thing and how much you will pay to do so seldom equates to any economic reasoning :wacko:

Getting back to the old days though. I myself went along to see Dode best in his brief spell at Fester Rd, and with the HOBOS average gate being apparently 6,500 at the time .........he brought approx 20,000 through the cash gates :biggrin: for a titanic clash with Partick ??

What does that say about the attraction of the Scottish game even then ?

Also, when I first went to Tynie as a kid - 1970/71

A program was 5p and the boys gate was 25p I think ?

How does that equate to todays pricing I wonder ?

StAndrewsHMFC

When Hearts weren't playing I used to go to alot of lower league games in Fife/Tayside area. Although by definition the qauality was lower, I'd say the games were more watchable/enjoyable than the SPL (St Johnstone under Coyle and Dundee v Hamilton in the cup the year we won it stand out) and at a better price. Having said that its impossible to enjoy say Arbroath in January as they play in the north sea pretty much.

Would never go to an SPL game that didn't involve Hearts, just not worth the money, and thats before you count travel etc

Yes. As for football being value for money...who knows. As far as I am concerned, watching Hearts has never been about entertainment, but 20 or 30 quid every couple of weeks to itch the Jambo scratch is something I am willing to pay.

Football is an expensive hobby, that is for sure.

As a Hearts fan, I would not pay to get into any of my rivals grounds to watch a game that does not involve Hearts. That has zero to do with the quality on offer, just that I am a Hearts fan.

As for prices, when Wolves went to Old Trafford to watch their first team and saw their reserves, weren't they singing about the match fee being ?47?

When Hearts weren't playing I used to go to alot of lower league games in Fife/Tayside area. Although by definition the qauality was lower, I'd say the games were more watchable/enjoyable than the SPL (St Johnstone under Coyle and Dundee v Hamilton in the cup the year we won it stand out) and at a better price. Having said that its impossible to enjoy say Arbroath in January as they play in the north sea pretty much.

Would never go to an SPL game that didn't involve Hearts, just not worth the money, and thats before you count travel etc

Spot on. If I lived in St Andrews I'd just sit on the beach all day if I could tbh.

To put this into perspective.

A good seat for the sound of music at the playhouse eill set you back the best part of ?40,as will a standing ticket for the Prodigy.

Jam Tarts 1874
In a nutshell, NO

However watching Hearts is an 'emotional' thing and how much you will pay to do so seldom equates to any economic reasoning :wacko:

Getting back to the old days though. I myself went along to see Dode best in his brief spell at Fester Rd, and with the HOBOS average gate being apparently 6,500 at the time .........he brought approx 20,000 through the cash gates :biggrin: for a titanic clash with Partick ??

What does that say about the attraction of the Scottish game even then ?

Also, when I first went to Tynie as a kid - 1970/71

A program was 5p and the boys gate was 25p I think ?

How does that equate to todays pricing I wonder ?

Pretty sure that only fags and petrol have increased faster than football admission prices.

PresidentRomanov

I wouldn't go to a football game that didn't involve Hearts if it was free entry and free drink all day.

I wouldn't move to Cyprus and stick my oar in on the internet, about things that don't concern me either mind, maybe that's just me :biggrin:

I wouldn't go to a football game that didn't involve Hearts if it was free entry and free drink all day.

I wouldn't move to Cyprus and stick my oar in on the internet, about things that don't concern me either mind, maybe that's just me :biggrin:

So if you left Scotland you would never comment on Hearts or Scottish football? :wacko:

PresidentRomanov
So if you left Scotland you would never comment on Hearts or Scottish football? :wacko:

I wouldn't leave Scotland dave, I love the Hearts too much :teeth:

I wouldn't pay to see any SPL game that didn't involve Hearts and if I wasn't a Hearts fan I wouldn't pay to go and watch Hearts either.

Scottish Football is dying on its arse.

I wouldn't leave Scotland dave, I love the Hearts too much :teeth:

Good point. :biggrin:

However, just treat this as a hypothetical question for a minute. I'm asking because you quite often condemn fans from oversea whose comments you don't like. :cool_shades:

PresidentRomanov
Good point. :biggrin:

However, just treat this as a hypothetical question for a minute. I'm asking because you quite often condemn fans from oversea whose comments you don't like. :cool_shades:

I can't treat it as a hypothetical question dave, it would never happen :teeth:

If I was the type though, I wouldn't have the nerve to go onto the internet, and preach to fans who support the club every week, I believe unless you're contributing to the football club, you don't really deserve a say in how it's run.

Archived