The Kickback Diaries - A History of Jambos Kickback

scott_jambo

After reading all the threads in The Shed about JKB in years gone by, I think it would be fascinating if old posters of kickback such as ianmac, geoffkilpatrick, davemclaren, shaun(im leaving kickback)Lawson and many others could write a few paragraphs documenting their memories of the whole kickback saga - from the inception (or when they became members) up until the 'Romanov Revolution'. Especially shedding light on what happened with this Badger I keep hearing about.

The posters from 2004 onwards like myself, Bev,PJ1, BB etc etc... could document our interpretations of such stories such as the IJ saga, The WAJ agrees chronicles and The Lord of the Plasma.

If we cant retrieve this from cyberspace, then I think we should have it all down in one form and placed in the Classic Kickback forum.

Apart from anything else it will stimulate alot of questions and new debate from members who werent there at the time.

I realise this is the first thread created for the classics and so all senses says it will fall flat on its face, but hey, lets give it a try because I for one am interested and from reading the other threads in the Shed, other JKB posters are too. :527:

(A long winded way of saying - "Give me something interesting to read when Im skiving at work tomorrow!") :)

Edited by scott_jambo

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chad Sexington

• Gregory House M.D.

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Johanes de Silentio

Geoff Kilpatrick

:laugh: Great idea!!

Will write something later and I'll try and make it more concise than your average Lawson post!!

Jimmy McNulty
:laugh: Great idea!!

Will write something later and I'll try and make it more concise than your average Lawson post!!

Isn't Lawson a fairly recent poster (or did he post under another name beforehand)?

IJ notes:

1. He was agraduate from uni, and an ex-boxer, (at a pretty high level)

2. He set up a string of gymns in the US, sold them, made a fortune, then retired back here in Scotland

3. Married an indian woman, (from India, not a red indian!)

4. Lost a testicle and had a prosthetic replacement

5. Lived in India long enough to qualify for dual indian nationality (which apparently takes something like eight years), he had an Indian passport

6. Had loads of kids and was sh*gging for more

7. Ran some business

8. Lived in a big house which kept hom busy with DIY, in an an accident prone kind of way

9. All this and he was only about 30 years old.

10. As far as I'm aware no one on this board ever met him

11. He was still alive when his nephew registered on this board, but the nephew only registered so he could find Scotty to give him the bible after Khraeigh passed away. Except Khraeigh didn't tell his nephew who Scotty was and he had to start a thread asking for the Scottish guy from Canada.

12. The death was all very sudden, he was cremated and had his ashes scattered at Bannockburn within the week.

13. I believe he was actually known to some of the posters on Jambos kickback.

The Hibs fan who did the parachute tributes post read:

i'm doing a sponsored sky dive sometime in september in memory of Creag, a man i never met but spoke to regularly on the hibs and hearts message boards (he was a dirty jambo ). for those of you who didn't get the chance to speak to him, he was a passionate nationalist, loving father, wise beyond his years, kind, patient, caring and an over all great guy. tragically, he lost a battle with illness last month and past away at the age of 32.

he once said to me that you should always try to take something good from something bad (can't remember the exact quote, but he put it much more eloquently than me), and this is my effort to do just that.

i thought a parachute jump would be the most appropriate way of raising money, as this was one of the last things creag did before his death, somethign he had always wanted to do.

so...if you want to help me raise money in memory of creag (or just want to see me thrown out a plane!), now's your chance!!!

There's wee bits of the IJ jigsaw all over the place. We need to get it all in one place.

The Hibs fan who did the parachute tributes post read:

i'm doing a sponsored sky dive sometime in september in memory of Creag, a man i never met but spoke to regularly on the hibs and hearts message boards (he was a dirty jambo ). for those of you who didn't get the chance to speak to him, he was a passionate nationalist, loving father, wise beyond his years, kind, patient, caring and an over all great guy. tragically, he lost a battle with illness last month and past away at the age of 32.

he once said to me that you should always try to take something good from something bad (can't remember the exact quote, but he put it much more eloquently than me), and this is my effort to do just that.

i thought a parachute jump would be the most appropriate way of raising money, as this was one of the last things creag did before his death, somethign he had always wanted to do.

so...if you want to help me raise money in memory of creag (or just want to see me thrown out a plane!), now's your chance!!!

There's wee bits of the IJ jigsaw all over the place. We need to get it all in one place.

I still laugh at the idea of some idiot throwing themself out of a plane in memory of someone who didn't exist. The whole episode was absolutely pathetic.

Yo Yo the Parrot
IJ notes:

2. He set up a string of gymns in the US, sold them, made a fortune, then retired back here in Scotland

5. Lived in India long enough to qualify for dual indian nationality (which apparently takes something like eight years), he had an Indian passport

7. Ran some business

8. Lived in a big house which kept hom busy with DIY, in an an accident prone kind of way

11. He was still alive when his nephew registered on this board, but the nephew only registered so he could find Scotty to give him the bible after Khraeigh passed away. Except Khraeigh didn't tell his nephew who Scotty was and he had to start a thread asking for the Scottish guy from Canada.

12. The death was all very sudden, he was cremated and had his ashes scattered at Bannockburn within the week.

You missed out that when he was in the USA he belted a motorcycle cop which somehow helped him 'find God'.

Also his wife was not just any old Indian woman but a Bollywood stunner. IIRC

Isn't Lawson a fairly recent poster (or did he post under another name beforehand)?

He's been around forever. That's why kickback went bust 3 times - bandwidth costs money. :dribble::dribble:

Geoff Kilpatrick

My memories of KB over the years: -

• The beginning (cue Hovis music)

I was one of the original intrepid members of KB back in the day when Scott Wilson developed the website for the club. These were the days of the net being rolled out. I was at Uni so took advantage of the free net access (which wasn't very cheap back then and dial-up was the only route). These were the days of newsgroups after all and rudimentary Times New Roman type everywhere. Frames for pages were still to be developed!

It was great and I was hooked immediately. Spending time in the Heriot-Watt computer rooms browsing KB was time well spent. In the early days, it was football, football, football as well. Hobos were ritually abused and chased away. Good times!

• The growth

As PC access grew, the membership grew, to the extent that KB members came together to buy a 500 club membership, under Drew Busby's (Gorgie Boy as was) steam (still on the boards as http://www.heartsfc.co.uk in the Gorgie Stand). It also led to some newcomers who didn't get 'netiquette'. One of my personal favourites was WILLIAM.AULD, THE SHOUTER. EVERY POST WAS IN CAPS. It also led to overseas Jambos finding a home. Timothy Pitt moved to Jakarta and immediately became Jakarta Jambo. Lynn appeared as well from Japan. It led to the birth of the online chat room on a Saturday afternoon UK time, with Kenny Sargent producing text commentary in the chat room as part of his Saturday 'duties' (Kenny also wrote the match reports for the official website). I also started writing match reports for the NIT website.

Another development was "Hearts News" posting on the board. This gave team news on a Friday afternoon as well as an accurate summary of JJ's press conferences. It wasn't just now that the media spun negative stories about HMFC from what was actually said.

The first real KB fallings out occurred at this time as it began to be felt in the 1996-97 season that a trophy was as far away as ever. Some people began to call for JJ's head!

• The hiatus

I left Uni in 1997 and didn't get the internet till I moved to Dunfermline in June 1998. How I spent a year without KB I don't know (and what a season to miss)

• The flag debates

The flag debates really started to kick-off around this time because the 1998-99 season saw the club represent the players' nationalities on the flagpoles. You can imagine the debates when Andy Kirk and Alan Maybury signed....

• H.A.T.E.

Everything started to go terribly wrong in 1998-99 and after the debacle at Dens when we went bottom in March, a few of us met in the Sample Room one night to discuss a HATE campaign against Robinson (Hearts Against The Establishment). It was the first time the net was used to try and organise a protest. Of course, the club signed Darren Jackson and Kevin James and with Mickey returning from injury, the protest died a death!!

• The Kickback meeting

Post SMG investment, massive losses and underachievement on the pitch, the board was filled with criticism. To the extent that the club invited 4 reps from KB, nominated from the board, to attend a meeting with the club. I've no idea if the transcript is still in cyberspace anywhere, but it was enlightening for all parties and I believe it helped to form the idea of the roadshows that occurred in the early noughties.

• The new board

The first board was a classic. It would invariably crash on a Thursday night and half the threads would disappear. The subsequent boards, up to Kickback III, were a result of outgrowing bandwidth. In hindsight, given the blowing of the SMG money, it is a surprise the club funded KB at all, although all the staff were reading it every day! :laugh:

The latter board seemed to harden the 'factions' though. There was the 'UJ Brigade', the 'PC Brigade', people who loved the Federation, people who hated the Federation, all sorts (in truth, a bit like JKB now :biggrin:). It led to all sorts of cyberscraps and it was at this point a lot of oldies 'bowed out'.

• The mods
    I was against mods because I was all for freedom of speech. In truth, they were always needed, with hindsight. The 'Kickback 6' story is classic. The clean-up of flag debates gave everyone breathing space.

• The plants

KB went into meltdown and offline on certain occasions. Examples included the 6-2 debacle, selling Colin Cameron etc. You can imagine the reaction after the news that Tynecastle was being sold! Suddenly, we had new members 'bruce' and 'judge', proponents of the Murrayfield move. Their appearance would lead to ritual abuse, but the points they made were easily shot down as well. KB became a key vehicle for dissent....

• The closure

The shut down was amazing. There was no warning - the board was gone! What to do? Well, jambos.net became home for a while but I don't think Lawrence Broadie could cope with us KBers. He went and got a job with the club!

• The great return

Godsa got the board back. Cyber-relief was heard everywhere!

• "Where's the money gone?"

The Godsa/Pete fall-out was quite concerning. To this day, I still have no idea how it was all sorted. Godsa was banned from the board, reappeared, was banned again. In fact, for a while, he was as much of a boomerang as none!!
  • Irvine Jambo (see above)
  • The new management team

Thank God! Without them, we would never have the board we have today. Cheers guys!! :biggrin:

I'm amazed nobody seems to remember the IJ episode where his posting became a bit sporadic for a week or so as he was "in Inverness where his younger brother had just died due to health problems caused by long term heavy cocaine use" This led to much lecturing about the dangers of drugs and how lucky he was to have a strong family unit with a loving wife and children who kept him away from such temptations.

He's been around forever. That's why kickback went bust 3 times - bandwidth costs money. :dribble::dribble:

:biggrin:

Chad Sexington

I remember when IJ's "cousin" started to be openly doubted by a couple of posters that they were absolutely slaughtered by the moral majority on here. :biggrin:

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth and calls for the likes of Therapist to be banned for life for daring to have the insensitivity to question the fantasists integrity.

Within hours there was some very sheepish people on here. :biggrin:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Where did some of the old school posters go?

David Gillespie

Jim Blyth

David Besonen

Marian (Christ, she was weird)

Grant Thorburn

Under the Godsa regime, myself and another poster on here were accused of planning to paint a King Billy mural on a gable end in McLeod Street based on PMs the Mods had accessed. :rubeyes::ninja::biggrin:

Geoff Kilpatrick
I remember when IJ's "cousin" started to be openly doubted by a couple of posters that they were absolutely slaughtered by the moral majority on here. :biggrin:

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth and calls for the likes of Therapist to be banned for life for daring to have the insensitivity to question the fantasists integrity.

Have to say I consciously avoided The Shed until the 'outing' thread. My sides still hurt that it made the papers!

The personal highlight was when I said it was Kickback's "Bobby Ewing In the Shower" moment. Dave de la Noir immediately stuck up that picture and made it his avatar!! :rofl:

Geoff Kilpatrick
Under the Godsa regime, myself and another poster on here were accused of planning to paint a King Billy mural on a gable end in McLeod Street based on PMs the Mods had accessed. :rubeyes::ninja::biggrin:

Brilliant! :laugh:

Could imagine a King Billy on the railway bridge, beside the McCABE GRASS graffiti!!

David Gillespie

Jim Blyth

David Besonen

Grant Thorburn

The last time I had contact with DG he was quite ill and couldn't be bothered posting.

I think DB just got sick of the bickering etc.

MArian flounced off in the huff after she admitted that she liked any team that Darren Jackson played for, including Hibs.

Brilliant! :laugh:

Could imagine a King Billy on the railway bridge, beside the McCABE GRASS graffiti!!

Both of us got banned under our previous user names. Incidentally - and for the avoidance of doubt - there was absolutely no evidence to support the accusation.

Correct Chad. :biggrin:

There were many on here who hero-worshipped IJ and ended up feasting on hard cheese, sour grapes and humble pie when the penny finally dropped. :rofl:

Genghis Khan
IJ notes:

7. Ran some business

Wasn't he (IJ) outed as a complete imposter on the TAMB? Seem to remember some guy from TAMB coming on here and getting pelters until the reaL story started to emerge.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Wasn't he (IJ) outed as a complete imposter on the TAMB? Seem to remember some guy from TAMB coming on here and getting pelters until the reaL story started to emerge.

Apparently so.

I think he posted on there afterwards when the whole thing came out.

I also remember the post-outing sympathy on here, saying that he needed help, when others were demanding he should be strung by the remaining baw!

:biggrin:

Chad Sexington
Correct Chad. :biggrin:

There were many on here who hero-worshipped IJ and ended up feasting on hard cheese, sour grapes and humble pie when the penny finally dropped. :rofl:

I really wish that thread could be exhumed from the crypt. :biggrin:

Watching the weirdo's story unravel was absolutely brilliant.

I bet you he's reading this thread as well...from the shadows. :biggrin:

Carl Fredrickson

Does my memory serve me well when I say that IJ came out with an apology of sorts and offered his season ticket to someone less well off?

What was the name of the wifey who was from America but never re-joined after the initial board closed?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Does my memory serve me well when I say that IJ came out with an apology of sorts and offered his season ticket to someone less well off?

I think he offered this by way of apology to someone on the WOSH bus.

Geoff Kilpatrick
What was the name of the wifey who was from America but never re-joined after the initial board closed?

I recall David Besonen doing this but I can't remember any woman :confused:

Originally Posted by Creag

Today I done the last thing I really wanted to do before death.

I went parachuting.

All I'll say folks is live life - it doesn't last long.

Chad Sexington
Originally Posted by Creag

Today I done the last thing I really wanted to do before death.

I went parachuting.

All I'll say folks is live life - it doesn't last long.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :biggrin:

David Gillespie

Jim Blyth

David Besonen

Grant Thorburn

Mozza

Sigmund - now in that JKB in the sky.

The bloke who was the 'spy' just pre- Romanov - was that Badger ?

David Gillespie

Jim Blyth

David Besonen

Grant Thorburn

Grant Thorburn is a season ticket holder and member of Linlithgow and District Hearts SC but has turned hgis back on kickback.

Genghis Khan
Mozza

Sigmund - now in that JKB in the sky.

The bloke who was the 'spy' just pre- Romanov - was that Badger ?

Bruce & Judge IIRC.

sorry to hear David Gillespie has been ill and hope he has fully recovered. Had many a laugh swapping puns with him. Hope is cat is still alive.

Bavid Deckham was a regular for a good while but I've not seen the name in ages.:computer:

There was a guy from Larbert who used to post all the time with a motorcycle helmet for an avatar.:flag2:

Internet has come a long way in its short history.

Remember Makween?

I received threats from "his brother", accusing me of "grassing" up makween and causing him to be banned. A previous, snivelling "can't we just friends" PM from makween is another personal highlight.

jamesbuchanan666 was also quite amusing. The ultimate flag boy!

I've got an image of that Harry Enfield angry-guy-in-the-pub fellow. Especially when Acey, who must've been just out of nappies at the time, posted 'his' phone number in response to a challenge for a chat with said jb666.

On phoning the number jb discovered he was talking to a Chinese restaurant.:laugh:

And who can forget Floyd's five-a-side game against the one and only husband of Scottish football's most famous lady of ill-repute.

Was that American lady not Elizabeth...or summat?

Maroon Mark - WUM extrordinaire in a flag sense.

Ragnar Lochen

Gavin Aitchison...York-based? Not seen his name for a while.

Paul and Big Mike Valente...gone but not forgotten. Did Big Mike not have a birthday cake from the club...?

Ahhh, I've gone all dewy-eyed...

he was still knocking about there the last time i was on (ages ago, but well after the IJ saga came to light) and was posting under the name IIRC iateallthepies or something

there was one weirdo from i think livingston, who pm'd me frequently asking to meet me etc. total crank

another poster i used to enjoy the banter with was CompleteIdiot, who was always worth a bit of a debate. possibly a bit of a walt, but still was funny.

i did read the boards for ages before i joined proper, and always liked the place.

i'm on lunch just now but will have a think about some more stuff if i can later

Sad to say that David Gillespies cat (Mystic Mog) did die shortly before he left the board

he was still knocking about there the last time i was on (ages ago, but well after the IJ saga came to light) and was posting under the name IIRC iateallthepies or something

there was one weirdo from i think livingston, who pm'd me frequently asking to meet me etc. total crank

another poster i used to enjoy the banter with was CompleteIdiot, who was always worth a bit of a debate. possibly a bit of a walt, but still was funny.

i did read the boards for ages before i joined proper, and always liked the place.

i'm on lunch just now but will have a think about some more stuff if i can later

Was his name Michael / Mick etc by chance :biggrin:

Chad Sexington
Prankmonkey and his girly mate Shaz curry threads were fantastic.

Hahaha.

That was the high water mark, imo Walter. :biggrin:

What about the psychiatrist's assessment and predictions of Romanov's behaviour ... that was a hoot.

I've been around since the start more or less but rarely post. I remember we used to sponsor a player ... Stevie Fulton was one when he was a bit of a target for boo boys.

Remember Walter, the twirly isn't just for big games. :biggrin:

Heh. Those were the days.

Who could ever forget Prancer?

Chad Sexington
Heh. Those were the days.

Who could ever forget Prancer?

He frequents the lesser boards these days apparently.

Spends all his time telling everyone how Kickback is full of arseholes.

I have been on for a while, Didn't post much to start with. I'm sorry to hear about David Gillespie and Mystic Mog, his posts with all the smillies sometimes gave me a sore head right enough!!:527:...The one guy I remember was Lacoste Lad :wacko:....He wanted a Celebrity boxing match with Andy Walker or some other pundit, Was a "Bit of a Lad" once he told me!! :ninja: and his Girlfriend was in the FBI, CIA, MI5, MFI...some kind of spy work!! :biggrin:

• davemclaren locked this topic