**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

13 picks left until my next one and I've got six WRs on my draft board that I'd love to take.

Fingers crossed. I've got two picks in a row, if I'm lucky to have both of them left then I'll be ecstatic.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

Geoff Kilpatrick

Looks like that's us done for the day. Geoff's on the clock and if he's in Melbourne it's just turned 00:10. Probably shouldn't expect anything until v.late tonight, tomorrow morning.

Good day of drafting.

I'm up and in. I've gone wildcat! By the time, it gets to 5.07 though, I should be at work so you'll be waiting till tomorrow! :laugh:

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Wasn't such a long wait afterall, Melbourne must be a night hawk :)

Been a good day so far.

Three picks since I last posted, two of my top WR targets and my top RB gone.

Bugger.

Ditto was looking at Wallace and walker after Nicks.

Sterling Archer

I'm up and in. I've gone wildcat! By the time, it gets to 5.07 though, I should be at work so you'll be waiting till tomorrow! :laugh:

I'm impresed Geoff, you're an early riser.

Wasn't such a long wait afterall, Melbourne must be a night hawk :)

Been a good day so far.

Has been, quite happy with how it's all played out.

Bugger.

Ditto was looking at Wallace and walker after Nicks.

Guess that's life with the draft, I try as hard as possible not to get my heart set on anyone but it's difficult when guys you want go just before you pick. Curious to know when people are considering taking Kickers and D's? I'm going to try something out, might work, might not.

Bugger.

Three WR's gone now. Not good.

Three left, nine picks left before mine. Not confident now.

Three WR's gone now. Not good.

Three left, nine picks left before mine. Not confident now.

I might have to take a WR just too be annoying :lol:

Sterling Archer

one pick to wait but my top 3 gone... 5 to pick from tho

Since geoff's pick will probably come while we're asleep if you've got it narrowed down to a few guys you could use the pre draft selection feature.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Guess that's life with the draft, I try as hard as possible not to get my heart set on anyone but it's difficult when guys you want go just before you pick. Curious to know when people are considering taking Kickers and D's? I'm going to try something out, might work, might not.

Been thinking about the D after 4th round, I don't think i would take one before the 7th though. I don't know if you want to use the term 'draft value' but if there are still some good offensive weapons on offer, i'd be more inclined to take them first. In John Feinsteins book next man up, where he was allowed access to the Ravens for a year, The one thing i remember Bill Belichick saying that in the drafts, he always took the best players first, regardless of whether they were already strong in that particular area. So i guess it just depends on ranking a defence as a single player against your future attacking options.

Kickers are a bit meh for me, As we seen last year, Even the good ones can just start getting it wrong.

Sterling Archer

Been thinking about the D after 4th round, I don't think i would take one before the 7th though. I don't know if you want to use the term 'draft value' but if there are still some good offensive weapons on offer, i'd be more inclined to take them first. In John Feinsteins book next man up, where he was allowed access to the Ravens for a year, The one thing i remember Bill Belichick saying that in the drafts, he always took the best players first, regardless of whether they were already strong in that particular area. So i guess it just depends on ranking a defence as a single player against your future attacking options.

Kickers are a bit meh for me, As we seen last year, Even the good ones can just start getting it wrong.

Don't think you'll need to take one that early, could be wrong though. I was thinking between 20 and 25 if at all...

Since geoff's pick will probably come while we're asleep if you've got it narrowed down to a few guys you could use the pre draft selection feature.

Exactly...some of us have still got hours of Thursday to go yet...

Agree with everything you say regarding defense.

As for kickers, I'm not taking one for a long time. As you pointed out, there are so many curious cases of steady kickers who just implode after one bad kick and it seems capable of happening to any of them at any time.

Martin Gramatica is perhaps the best example. Contender for best kicker in the league while with Tampa Bay after making 110 out of 134 field goal attempts in his first four years, he then went only 27 of 45 in his next two seasons before being cut.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Don't think you'll need to take one that early, could be wrong though. I was thinking between 20 and 25 if at all...

This is where my inexperience of Fantasy NFL drafts really shows up. If i have the players i think i need, i wouldn't hesitate to pick a D, As i said though, maybe this is a mistake i will probably learn from, Depending on when i take one.

Sterling Archer

Agree with everything you say regarding defense.

As for kickers, I'm not taking one for a long time. As you pointed out, there are so many curious cases of steady kickers who just implode after one bad kick and it seems capable of happening to any of them at any time.

Martin Gramatica is perhaps the best example. Contender for best kicker in the league while with Tampa Bay after making 110 out of 134 field goal attempts in his first four years, he then went only 27 of 45 in his next two seasons before being cut.

Drafting isn't about getting the best points scorers though, it's about getting the most rare value. If you believe the top 15 d's will only differ by 30 points a season, 2per game, then why take the 1st d off the board in the 7th/8th when you could take the 15th 6 or 7 rounds later and get a skill position instead. IMO the d's are all pretty similar and change too quickly to be worth a high pick in a dynasty startup. Just my 2 cents.

I probably won't draft a kicker, as you say they're so unpredictable and pretty much interchangable.

Sterling Archer

This is where my inexperience of Fantasy NFL drafts really shows up. If i have the players i think i need, i wouldn't hesitate to pick a D, As i said though, maybe this is a mistake i will probably learn from, Depending on when i take one.

Not necessarily, you just need to go with the flow of the draft, if they start flying off the board in the 7th then that's fine, I just wouldn't ever be the first person to take one, there's loads of different strategies though!

Drafting isn't about getting the best points scorers though, it's about getting the most rare value. If you believe the top 15 d's will only differ by 30 points a season, 2per game, then why take the 1st d off the board in the 7th/8th when you could take the 15th 6 or 7 rounds later and get a skill position instead. IMO the d's are all pretty similar and change too quickly to be worth a high pick in a dynasty startup. Just my 2 cents.

I probably won't draft a kicker, as you say they're so unpredictable and pretty much interchangable.

But you never know, if you take a DF then they might start flying off the shelf.

You're right about them changing all the time but there are a couple of teams who have had strong D's in 80-90% of the seasons I've been watching the NFL. It's just the culture with some teams. But that is only a handful and because it is a handful, I'd be tempted to take one or two of these a lot sooner than 20-25.

Sterling Archer

But you never know, if you take a DF then they might start flying off the shelf.

You're right about them changing all the time but there are a couple of teams who have had strong D's in 80-90% of the seasons I've been watching the NFL. It's just the culture with some teams. But that is only a handful and because it is a handful, I'd be tempted to take one or two of these a lot sooner than 20-25.

I think you'll hear so many differing opinions on this it can confuse the hell out of you. I've heard all sorts of different strategies, I think it has to depend on the way the draft goes, we've seen some runs on certain positions already and it could happen again. Guess we'll have to wait a year and see what works out best laugh.gif

Sterling Archer

Was wondering when someone was going to bite the bullet and take Smith, great pick. Guy can easily be top 10 for a few more years and to get him at the end of the 5th is a steal.

Was wondering when someone was going to bite the bullet and take Smith, great pick. Guy can easily be top 10 for a few more years and to get him at the end of the 5th is a steal.

Was not expecting him to fall to me, cant belive i got him in round 5, softens the blow about losing Nicks :D .

Another six picks to go, another WR gone (Harvin!).

Two left and I'm fancying at least three people to take a wideout.

And with Goldenacre Giants on the clock, I feel I may be sweating about this for quite some time. thumbsup.gif

Sterling Archer

And with Goldenacre Giants on the clock, I feel I may be sweating about this for quite some time. thumbsup.gif

Sucks to wait doesn't it. Could always try and trade up?

Don't think we'll be waiting too long!

Sterling Archer

"Muuuuuuuum! He's doing it again."

sad.gif

:lol: I'm sure we'll get moving tonight. It's not like anyone has anything better to do on a friday night than a good period of drafting.

Sincere apologies, I was 5 picks away last night then foolishly went to work today thus occupying all my time. Done my pick now so you can stop sweating

Sincere apologies, I was 5 picks away last night then foolishly went to work today thus occupying all my time. Done my pick now so you can stop sweating

Your apology, for having a life and going to work instead of continually refreshing a web page, is accepted.

biggrin.gif

Oh, and thanks for not selecting a player on my draft board. In this draft that makes a change wink.gif.

Edited by ForresterJambo

Rick Grimes

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

Anybody useing the draft dominator.

I used it a few times before we got under way. I'm not sure if I learnt anything from using it, maybe it helped me come up with a rough plan to go WR WR with my first two picks

Sterling Archer

Anybody useing the draft dominator.

Not really, using it to keep track of who's left but not trusting it, it's set up too much for redrafts, I'm using dynasty rankings more.

Not really, using it to keep track of who's left but not trusting it, it's set up too much for redrafts, I'm using dynasty rankings more.

Im using it for keeping track of teams, so i know who`s got what and in what position.

Sterling Archer

Just looking at the schedules, is it true we are only doing 13 weeks? Any reason for that?

13 weeks regular season, then the playoffs for the rest.

Sterling Archer

That's toms pick made, Jambo Broncos now on the clock. Tom was saying that he's getting his net access back on Monday and should get more involved from then onwards.

Oh and Peebo, draft dominator is a tool released by FOotball guys website to assist in drafting.

Three picks to go and I've still got two wideouts left on my board.

Might even extend that to three. There is another one I've got my eye on but he'd be a bit of a reach with this pick. Although I'm thinking if one of my other two go, then I don't select him, I'll be kicking myself if he has a breakout year.

Nucky Thompson

Three picks to go and I've still got two wideouts left on my board.

Might even extend that to three. There is another one I've got my eye on but he'd be a bit of a reach with this pick. Although I'm thinking if one of my other two go, then I don't select him, I'll be kicking myself if he has a breakout year.

I think your safe :thumbsup: The other two already have a couple of WR's and I'm prepared to wait a wee while longer.

We really have to start making use of the pre draft selection mode. If your just one or two picks a way and you know you're about to go offline then I don't see why you wouldn't want to use this option. It's important to keep things ticking along

We really have to start making use of the pre draft selection mode. If your just one or two picks a way and you know you're about to go offline then I don't see why you wouldn't want to use this option. It's important to keep things ticking along

for anyone not knowing how to use this mode yet.

Go into the 'For owners' Column at the top. Then Draft. Then you have the option of compiling a list of the people you want to draft. If you have one person to draft before your turn then obviously you would want to put two people on your list incase your first choice is taken, then save changes. As soon as the next person drafts then your pick will automatically kick in.

The annoying thing is that I used the pre draft thing last night because my pick was coming up and I didn't know when it would be my turn to pick.

Had two names selected which was Spiller and Bowe. Spiller got taken, so it should have been Bowe automatically. Pissed off to come back and find that I was still on the clock!

The annoying thing is that I used the pre draft thing last night because my pick was coming up and I didn't know when it would be my turn to pick.

Had two names selected which was Spiller and Bowe. Spiller got taken, so it should have been Bowe automatically. Pissed off to come back and find that I was still on the clock!

That's strange, It's worked every time for me. You didn't use 'draft list' instead? as that is directly under 'draft' and doesn't do the same thing.

By the way, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone in particular. Just want to make sure we are all pulling in the same direction and that everyone know that there are other options besides waiting on there pick to come up. :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

That's strange, It's worked every time for me. You didn't use 'draft list' instead? as that is directly under 'draft' and doesn't do the same thing.

By the way, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone in particular. Just want to make sure we are all pulling in the same direction and that everyone know that there are other options besides waiting on there pick to come up. :thumbsup:

Think that's probably what happened, I did the same thing first time round, one way to check is to go into the draft report, if it says pre draft selection made then you know it's working.

And nabbed one of my two receivers left ya bass. down.gif

One pick, one to go. There's another receiver I'm taking who, despite being a bit of a reach, could have a breakout year. Unless Cleveland Steamers is thinking the same I'll get him regardless, but I'd much rather have him as my number three receiver as opposed to my number two.

And nabbed one of my two receivers left ya bass. down.gif

One pick, one to go. There's another receiver I'm taking who, despite being a bit of a reach, could have a breakout year. Unless Cleveland Steamers is thinking the same I'll get him regardless, but I'd much rather have him as my number three receiver as opposed to my number two.

I'm going round in circles here. After some last minute researching and looking at my chances as taking him as a back-up... basically I've bottled it. Too much of a reach. Pick amended.

That's it, I'm off to bed.