**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

luckyBatistuta

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Wentz to Colts for a 3rd round this year and conditional 2nd next year. That’s surprisingly cheap. 

That said I think he’s trash.

Meh, don’t think he’s the answer. I will be delighted if he proves me wrong, but pretty damn sure he won’t.

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Apparently the Colts tried to get Carr from the Raiders but we’re told no. 

I’m pretty glad as it means we ain’t going to trade the future away for Watson and Marriota will probably have a little bit if trade value and be moved on.

We would all be happy picking up Watson, but agree that it would be way too much to get him. I suppose it could have been worse, we could have picked up Marriota instead of Wentz.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Newton, Wilson or Darnold. Who should Washington go all in for? 

Only Wilson, but they won't get him. The other two are bang average. Better to stick with Heinicke & Allen until next again season and see who is available. 

6 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Apparently the Colts tried to get Carr from the Raiders but we’re told no. 

I’m pretty glad as it means we ain’t going to trade the future away for Watson and Marriota will probably have a little bit if trade value and be moved on.

Mariota has zero trade value.

Does anyone know of a reasonable guide to explain how trades and swaps work, and maybe a guide as to what new players are available to.

I've never really made the next step from just following what goes on on the field before.

20 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Does anyone know of a reasonable guide to explain how trades and swaps work, and maybe a guide as to what new players are available to.

I've never really made the next step from just following what goes on on the field before.

Teams can trade players, and player have no say - unless they have a “no trade” contract clause which allows them to refuse a particular trade (which is unusual). Main driver behind  mant trades is a player’s current team wanting rid of them, rather than acquiring team making an offer that can’t be refused.

New players? Players who become available through the college system, or players who are not currently contracted to another team - free agents. 

Edited by Peebo

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Teams can trade players, and player have no say - unless they have a “no trade” contract clause which allows them to refuse a particular trade (which is unusual). Main driver behind  mant trades is a player’s current team wanting rid of them, rather than Houston's ex GM/HC making an offer that can’t be refused.

New players? Players who become available through the college system, or players who are not currently contracted to another team - free agents. 

FTFY 😉

3 hours ago, Peebo said:

I don’t understand. 

Bill O'Brien was known for making overly generous trade offers that teams just couldn't turn down, eg. basically 2 x 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for Tunsil, Hopkins for Johnson and a 2nd. I'm sure other teams wished he was still around to make offers that were too good to turn down.

47 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Bill O'Brien was known for making overly generous trade offers that teams just couldn't turn down, eg. basically 2 x 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for Tunsil, Hopkins for Johnson and a 2nd. I'm sure other teams wished he was still around to make offers that were too good to turn down.

Hopkins trade was a disaster (I’m a Texans fan - still have season tickets in my name!), but the Texans wanted rid of him. 

Tunsil trade was probably one of few decisions he made that was actually decent for the Texans. And one of minority instigated by a team looking to acquire, rather than looking to get rid. Probably good for the Dolphins too, I’m sure, but an example of what I’m talking about, perhaps - but certainly not the only one. 

Not too many trade like that, which is my point. 

• 2 weeks later...
hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

JJ Watt joins Cardinals. 

Wilson will definitely be on the phone to get out of Seattle now :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
hmfc_liam06
19 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

****ing Raiders doing raiders shit, which is dumb shit

They have probably one of the worst defences in NFL. So obviously that means rip the o’lime up. Trading one of the best centres in game in Hudson in itself is stupid. Then to go and get Drake in FA, WTAF we have Jacobs who is a 3 down back and most certainly one of the top 5 RB. Richards can back up or we could have drafted a RB late. No we go and spend on arguably our strongest position. 

Gruden can **** off back to TV booth as far as I’m concerned. 

Jacobs is not a top 5 RB in my opinion...

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Jacobs is not a top 5 RB in my opinion...

Agreed, very good RB but not top 5

hmfc_liam06
16 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Agreed, very good RB but not top 5

CMC, Barkley, Zeke, Chubb, Cook, Henry, Kamara, Jones - I'd have all of them over Jacobs.

I'd probably put Jacobs in the Mixon, Ekeler, Montgomery bracket.

On 02/03/2021 at 11:08, hmfc_liam06 said:

Wilson will definitely be on the phone to get out of Seattle now :lol:

9 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

****ing Raiders doing raiders shit, which is dumb shit

They have probably one of the worst defences in NFL. So obviously that means rip the o’lime up. Trading one of the best centres in game in Hudson in itself is stupid. Then to go and get Drake in FA, WTAF we have Jacobs who is a 3 down back and most certainly one of the top 5 RB. Richards can back up or we could have drafted a RB late. No we go and spend on arguably our strongest position. 

Gruden can **** off back to TV booth as far as I’m concerned. 

The Cards and dolphins firing money about this week. 

Def not that big a fan of Jacobs i wouldn’t even say top 10 RB yet

luckyBatistuta

Golladay got his money after all. Didn’t think he would get his $18 million per year. Daniel Jones finally has a WR1, now they need to protect him through the draft.

Malinga the Swinga
On 20/03/2021 at 18:14, ri Alban said:

Samuel, Jackson and Fitzpatrick.  Coming along nicely. 

:smugger:

With NFC East already wrapped up up, when do we set ourselves up for winning it all? Good progress made so far for sure. 

46 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

With NFC East already wrapped up up, when do we set ourselves up for winning it all? Good progress made so far for sure. 

Those pesky Cowboys still give me the fear. I can see us and them for the NFC championship. And the Giants should be pretty handy too. 

• 3 weeks later...
shaun.lawson
On 25/03/2021 at 14:05, ri Alban said:

Those pesky Cowboys still give me the fear. I can see us and them for the NFC championship. And the Giants should be pretty handy too. 

Nah. Rams/Packers IMO. With the Cards as an outside bet. 

It remains quite incredible that both Dallas and Washington are on such enormous droughts in even reaching the Championship Game. That has to end at some point to be fair.

The AFC - KC, Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland - is where it's at though. Dolphins might win it all not this year, but next I think.

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

It remains quite incredible that both Dallas and Washington are on such enormous droughts in even reaching the Championship Game. That has to end at some point to be fair.

The AFC - KC, Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland - is where it's at though. Dolphins might win it all not this year, but next I think.

The Dolphins will be very very close this year. 

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Think it all depends on how Tua does or if they use their wealth of draft picks to shake things up a bit. Not sure Brissett is the answer either. But definitely an improving team and one to watch. 

Draft this week- any major moves up the board predicted?  Can see the Panthers dropping down to accommodate a move up, now we have Darnold, to get back some picks as a part of that deal. Lawrence aside, will be interesting to see the order the other QBs go.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Pagey said:

Draft this week- any major moves up the board predicted?  Can see the Panthers dropping down to accommodate a move up, now we have Darnold, to get back some picks as a part of that deal. Lawrence aside, will be interesting to see the order the other QBs go.

It appears a lot of teams want to move back, but the issue is, who will want to make the move up?

QB's will go top 4 I reckon. 3 are already pretty much set, Atalanta hold the aces for the 4th. They themselves might take one as a successor to Ryan.

With all the players that opted out due to Covid last season, together with no Combine and no player visits, I reckon there'll be plenty of surprises this draft. Some fairly unknown players going higher than expected, and others dropping a lot lower than expected.

That will probably continue into the season too, with plenty of busts and quite a few low picks being a lot better than expected.

A lot of teams are probably looking to trade down and add picks in future years rather than take a chance on some players that they won't have been able to see playing so much as usual.

Edited by PortyJambo

hmfc_liam06

Lions are going to be in an interesting position.

We're pretty much guaranteed one of Pitts, Sewell, Parsons or Chase.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year"

What player presents are you hoping your team unwrap for you early tomorrow morning?

I'm hoping the Phins take DeVonta Smith at #6. Would be happy with Pitts too. Sewell I could live with, but really want a top receiver (have Chase 3rd on my list behind Smith/Waddle though). We should be guaranteed a good player one way or another though.

At #18, I'm not too fussed, would most prefer them to trade back a few spots and then pick Najee Harris before Steelers/Bills/Jets (who all might be looking at a RB). But would be happy with Collins, Paye or Parsons (if he falls that low) there. Or just taking Harris at #18 and be done with it.

Tho I'd like the Redwolves or Redhawks, The Washington(DC) Football Team has actually grown on me, and I wouldn't mind if it became permanent. 

Gonnae rumble this NFC next season. Only thing that may stop us is Dallas(And the bloody Giants) 3 teams from the Mighty East. 

Edited by ri Alban

Surprised Harris was still there for the Steelers, happy with that!

Edited by Ribble

Pleased with Horn for the Panthers, like the way Coach Rhule is talking about him fitting in. Now for the OL with the next couple of picks in R2 and 3. 

10 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Well the Raiders, in traditional fashion, make what seems like a massive reach in Leatherman. Didn’t even trade back for a player who wasn’t going to anyone else in Rd1. 

The whole strategy of creating needs on the offensive side of the ball whilst having, arguably, the worst defense in league. Gruden should be emptied for putting that defensive unit together, 

I really don’t know who I feel is more incompetent head coach Gruden or Neilson. 

Maybe switch them over. A hearts LVR tie in 

Happy with Waddle and Phillips for Miami. Not the players I wanted, but position-wise they are, so hopeful with them. Waddle adds a lot of speed at WR along with Fuller, and Phillips is probably the best pass rusher in this draft...if he can stay injury free. Wish we could have found a way to trade back into the 1st round for Harris or Etienne, but hopefully we can get a RB in rounds 2 or 3.

9 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Happy with Waddle and Phillips for Miami. Not the players I wanted, but position-wise they are, so hopeful with them. Waddle adds a lot of speed at WR along with Fuller, and Phillips is probably the best pass rusher in this draft...if he can stay injury free. Wish we could have found a way to trade back into the 1st round for Harris or Etienne, but hopefully we can get a RB in rounds 2 or 3.

We need a RB and a quality one but our offence now 😍😍 if everyone stays fit its a proper offence. Bit of everything , Parker , Fuller V , Waddle , Williams and Gesicki as a 5th WR is brutal , playmaking and fast...

Hoping the Steelers have gambled on a OL target dropping to the third after taking a TE Pat Freiermuth in the 2nd, certainly addressing ‘physicality’ on the offence with Harris and a 6’4, 250lb blocking TE, just really need to go with a centre and a corner with the next couple of picks (ideally creed or Quinn at centre)

Jets getting the positions right....the players ?

Got the QB, WR AND AN OL.....gave up a little so defensive picks will be vital over the next 2 choices at least

However the 3 selected are all first round picks with many

Just how lucky and skilled can you now get lower down ?

Happy with the Panthers manoeuvring altho was struggling to keep track of the trades and new positions. Essentially we have got back the trades for Darnold and got an "extra" player last night with picks today too. See what the coaches can do with it all as been a good free agency and draft so far. See what a decent GM can do!! 

No Idle Talk
On 30/04/2021 at 14:28, hmfc_liam06 said:

Delighted with Sewell. Our OL is looking scary good.

On paper it looks like a top ten offensive line to me.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

On paper it looks like a top ten offensive line to me.

Yeah at least. Hoping for big things from Swift this year.

Loving our draft picks, all 6 look like starters.

LondonJambo1985

Anyone got any recommendations on the best NFL podcast to be listening to? Looking for something that covers all games/players/stats etc but is also a laugh to listen to. Knowledgable but enjoyable is what I’m looking for. Any tips? 

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, LondonJambo1985 said:

Anyone got any recommendations on the best NFL podcast to be listening to? Looking for something that covers all games/players/stats etc but is also a laugh to listen to. Knowledgable but enjoyable is what I’m looking for. Any tips? 

Around the NFL podcast.

On 10/05/2021 at 20:06, Lord BJ said:

Tim Tebow is back in the NFL, with Jags. Praise the Lord.

The Jags may prove to be an even bigger shambles than the Texans this season. Again.