**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

luckyBatistuta

Why did they stop the College elite taking on the NFL elite, would much rather watch that as an end of season exhibition game than the Pro Bowl. 

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

alwaysthereinspirit
39 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Why did they stop the College elite taking on the NFL elite, would much rather watch that as an end of season exhibition game than the Pro Bowl. 

Never heard of this game.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think they did have something like that.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Me neither.

I’ll refrain from my annual “the pro bowl is the most pointless circus in professional sports” post. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think they did have something like that.

I can’t recall. I doubt many of the decent college players would fancy taking part in it, and risking injury. . 

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I can’t recall. I doubt many of the decent college players would fancy taking part in it, and risking injury. . 

They would get to show off their talents against the big boys.

I’m off now to try and find out if I dreamt that game or not :lol:

luckyBatistuta

The game ended in 1976 because NFL coaches didn’t like their star players playing in it. Would still rather watch a game like that than the Pro Bowl

Having had time to mull over that PI non-call, I’ve come to the conclusion that both the SFA and the NFL are out to get me. 

:seething:

alwaysthereinspirit
32 minutes ago, Peebo said:

17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Here we go, think this is what I remembered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Good find. As Peebo says not something either college kids or for that matter pro's would do now. Way to much money on the line.

Also as Peebo mentioned. Pro Bowl, meh.

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The game ended in 1976 because NFL coaches didn’t like their star players playing in it. Would still rather watch a game like that than the Pro Bowl

1976? No wonder I can’t recall!

Anything that’s not an actual competitive game is going to be pretty unwatchable, as it’s not a sport people can play without going all in. Pre-season games are utterly turgid, too. Only good for a piss up!

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Peebo said:

1976? No wonder I can’t recall!

Anything that’s not an actual competitive game is going to be pretty unwatchable, as it’s not a sport people can play without going all in. Pre-season games are utterly turgid, too. Only good for a piss up!

I do agree, actually looking forward to the NFL Honors more than the Pro Bowl, not sure I’ve actually ever watched one from start  to finish. Never even turn it on now, although I would go to one if I could, just for the day out and see the top players, maybe even meet some. 

and the piss up :thumb::laugh2:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

No reason under the sun to watch the Pro Bowl on TV. I hear it's fun to watch in person if you're in Hawaii because it's a bunch of NFL tough guys goofing off on the field doing silly stuff, but the NFL frankly should be embarrassed that they televise it.

5 hours ago, Ugly American said:

No reason under the sun to watch the Pro Bowl on TV. I hear it's fun to watch in person if you're in Hawaii because it's a bunch of NFL tough guys goofing off on the field doing silly stuff, but the NFL frankly should be embarrassed that they televise it.

It doesn’t even have the Hawaii factor any more! 

Sexton Hardcastle

Preferred it when it was held after the Super Bowl and those who deserved to be there went instead of players pulling out and sending any old shite.

4 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Preferred it when it was held after the Super Bowl and those who deserved to be there went instead of players pulling out and sending any old shite.

Like Trubisky :lol:

alwaysthereinspirit
8 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

These 2 weeks will drag

Sorry trying to post a photo. Will try later.

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

12 hours ago, Peebo said:

It doesn’t even have the Hawaii factor any more! 

Oh right, totally forgot about that!

Well, February in Orlando isn't the worst place to be TBH.

chuck berrys hairline

Had a peek at bookies for early prices. Pat's slight favourites and only a two point spread. Can anyone see much movement as week goes on ?

Edited by chuck berrys hairline
sp

alwaysthereinspirit
19 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Had a peek at bookies for early prices. Pat's slight favourites and only a two point spread. Can anyone see much movement as week goes on ?

Not unless theres some big time player injury during practice with either team. Pats may go to giving up 3 1/2 but doubt it.

Sexton Hardcastle

I like the overs market which is around 56 points. Both teams have the ability to score a lot of points. Given current form as well will put a chunk on Michel first td. Currently 7s.

luckyBatistuta
28 minutes ago, andrewhenry said:

Super Bowl who's winning it? 

For me I think Brady is gonna get ring number 6

Agree, hope to hell we’re both wrong.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, andrewhenry said:

Super Bowl who's winning it? 

For me I think Brady is gonna get ring number 6

No big deal. :whistling:

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

See the source image

Aw fek off, hate seeing a picture of a Pat that brings a smile to my face.

alwaysthereinspirit
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Aw fek off, hate seeing a picture of a Pat that brings a smile to my face.

I posted it a few years back in the 5 - 1 thread. I couldn't let it go now with the 6 rings a possibility.

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I posted it a few years back in the 5 - 1 thread. I couldn't let it go now with the 6 rings a possibility.

‘Can’t wait for Sunday, hope it’s a good one, cant see you losing.

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Can’t wait for Sunday, hope it’s a good one, cant see you losing.

This week will drag around here. I don't do sports radio 'cause it just gets silly. Football pundits are all about being the most controversial. I cant listen to them. Its like a bad Saturday on Radio Scotland football. No thanks.

I hope its a Patriots blow out but all previous 8 have went down to the wire so not expecting anything less this Sunday. I'm hoping we do it but the Rams are a good team too so who knows.

chuck berrys hairline

Seen spread moved to 1.5 so jumped on it. Also enhanced offer for two TDs each half for both teams 

Screenshot_20190129-181710.png

Couple of days to go until the big one. What's everyone's plans? I'll be having a fairly quiet one, took the Monday off as did the missus so we'll be sitting in with plenty food and beer. 

On the game, Pats to win by a field goal in a nailbiter. 24-27. 

24 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

Couple of days to go until the big one. What's everyone's plans? I'll be having a fairly quiet one, took the Monday off as did the missus so we'll be sitting in with plenty food and beer. 

Will try be avoid the score then watch the highlights on Monday. I’ve never sat up and watched the whole thing in the UK.

I love the NFL, but first and foremost it’s about following my team. And as they aren’t in it, I care as much about the Super Bowl as I do the Scottish Cup Final when Hearts aren’t in that. Have had many great Super Bowl parties in the US, but not bothered enough to sacrifice a night’s sleep and day of holiday to watch it live here.

Sexton Hardcastle

Got a wedding Saturday and an all day session Sunday before a mate hosts half a dozen boys. Did the same last year and got so pissed I missed most of the game. Try not to do that again.

Hope the rams do it and fancy a high scoring shoot out.

Placid Casual
4 hours ago, Kendoll said:

Not working but I think I'll do the same as last year: record it on the BBC, avoid the score, and watch it on Monday morning.

If I was having a bet, it would be on the Patriots, but I'll be very much rooting for the Rams.

Placid Casual
5 hours ago, Kendoll said:

What do you think of the Matt LaFleur appointment?

LaFleur must have absolutely nailed the interview, given the Packers opted not to press ahead with the second round of interviews. I'm excited to see what he does with the offence, and I hope his man management is as good as his mate McVay!

6 hours ago, Kendoll said:

Monday booked off.

Hot dogs, assorted salty snacks and plenty of alcohol on hand.

Should be a great game.

J.T.F.Robertson
8 hours ago, Peebo said:

Will try be avoid the score then watch the highlights on Monday. I’ve never sat up and watched the whole thing in the UK.

I love the NFL, but first and foremost it’s about following my team. And as they aren’t in it, I care as much about the Super Bowl as I do the Scottish Cup Final when Hearts aren’t in that. Have had many great Super Bowl parties in the US, but not bothered enough to sacrifice a night’s sleep and day of holiday to watch it live here.

Very much how I feel. I will watch it as, like you I love the NFL, but I do have an additional "incentive" and that's the hope the Rams can pull it off as if it goes the other way it will give them six and we cannie huv that. :mad:

35 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Very much how I feel. I will watch it as, like you I love the NFL, but I do have an additional "incentive" and that's the hope the Rams can pull it off as if it goes the other way it will give them six and we cannie huv that. :mad:

ABNE

alwaysthereinspirit

Edelman was 15 when Brady won his first Super Bowl. Sony Michel was 6. That's nuts.

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

11 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

What do you think of the Matt LaFleur appointment?

LaFleur must have absolutely nailed the interview, given the Packers opted not to press ahead with the second round of interviews. I'm excited to see what he does with the offence, and I hope his man management is as good as his mate McVay!

Excited by it to be honest. That said, I'd be excited about Hue Jackson ? Mccarthy leaving is about 4 years too late, so any change is good. He speaks well and reckon he's a smart cookie. Real shake up in all the coaching roles in GB bar Pettine, so I think next year could be a great one. 

Edited by Kendoll

On 01/02/2019 at 07:00, Kendoll said:

Off to Bain's for the football in the afternoon, stay there for the Super Bowl. Mon the Rams.