**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Do NFL players never practice just jumping on a loose ball? I'm always amazed at how bad they are at it.

You can't practice for the bounce the ball. 

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

Anybody know what is - typically - shouted just prior to the snap?

Sounds to me like someone shouts 'Ready' somewhere in among it all. Just wond'rin'.

20 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The ball is on the ground, it isn't bouncing!

They're too fat to retrieve the ball when that happens.

luckyBatistuta

Colts D, take a bow...and that with a couple of terrible calls in favour of America’s team too.

That call from Belichick at the end of the half. The guy is just unbelievable, what a clever call. Hate the Patriots, but you’ve got to take your hat off to him sometimes.

J.T.F.Robertson

FINALLY beat that lot. Still sweating (and drinking) though.

Now for the Saints. :(

6 hours ago, Boof said:

Anybody know what is - typically - shouted just prior to the snap?

Sounds to me like someone shouts 'Ready' somewhere in among it all. Just wond'rin'.

Depends on the QB. "Ready" is often shouted but it's often an audible read of the defense or other instructions or reminders to the line. Peyton Manning was famous for having a whole system of words -- some of them that defenders swore were just nonsense -- that he would call out as codes for how the offense should adjust at the line.

Fantasy football....don't you just hate it?!

Two leagues, one with an 11-3 record and number one seed another with a 12-2 record and number one seed, both teams flopping in week 14.

:seething:

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fantasy football....don't you just hate it?!

Two leagues, one with an 11-3 record and number one seed another with a 12-2 record and number one seed, both teams flopping in week 14.

Yup, hard to take, had my worst ever week in the Dynasty, just when it mattered most.

but....I love it :love:

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yup, hard to take, had my worst ever week in the Dynasty, just when it mattered most.

but....I love it :love:

I've built up an epic dynasty side through drafting and trades. My offense:

Goff & Rivers

Bell, Hunt, Kamara & Barkley

Brown, Beckham & Hill

Kelce & Howard

Lost Bell all season, Hunt becomes a ^^^^, Hill gets hurt, Beckham goes down just as playoffs start and Howard hits IR. Disaster :lol:

luckyBatistuta
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've built up an epic dynasty side through drafting and trades. My offense:

Goff & Rivers

Bell, Hunt, Kamara & Barkley

Brown, Beckham & Hill

Kelce & Howard

Lost Bell all season, Hunt becomes a ^^^^, Hill gets hurt, Beckham goes down just as playoffs start and Howard hits IR. Disaster :lol:

That is brutal, who the heck are you up against in that league though. How have you managed to get all of them, must have been some poor trades by others?  How did you manage to get Barkley, you couldn’t have had 1st pick?

41 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That is brutal, who the heck are you up against in that league though. How have you managed to get all of them, must have been some poor trades by others?  How did you manage to get Barkley, you couldn’t have had 1st pick?

The league has been going for a number of years, I worked a number of trades in the early years banking a lot of picks and I either used them as collateral for trading for players or lucked out by them ending up being high picks (Barkley case in point, traded for the guys first rounder at the start of the season and it ended up being first overall). I've capitalised by trading away players at the right time, McCoy being an example.

Drafted Hill, Kamara and Hunt in rookie drafts too, they've obviously been great picks.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The league has been going for a number of years, I worked a number of trades in the early years banking a lot of picks and I either used them as collateral for trading for players or lucked out by them ending up being high picks (Barkley case in point, traded for the guys first rounder at the start of the season and it ended up being first overall). I've capitalised by trading away players at the right time, McCoy being an example.

Drafted Hill, Kamara and Hunt in rookie drafts too, they've obviously been great picks.

Nice draft, boy did that trade at the start of the season work out for you, other person must be regretting that. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Nice draft, boy did that trade at the start of the season work out for you, other person must be regretting that. 

I had an idea it would be high as his team is abysmal, he had just taken over the team after the old owner left. He needed some instant improvement so I stepped in....got to prey on the weak :lol:

I've no first or second round picks this year now though, first pick won't be until the 5th pick in the 3rd round. Not that I need it if all those guys are fit.

On 16/12/2018 at 00:13, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Huston bottling it again. Would fancy anyone against them in the wildcards.

Just noticed this. A bit puzzled by the “bottling it again” comment. Bottling it on multiple games is definitely something the Texans have not done this year. We’ve won loads of close games. To use a shitey American sports term, they must be one of the most “clutch” teams this year. 

At this rate, may not play anyone on Wildcard weekend. I’m in two minds about that, because if they are at home in that round, I’ll be able to go to it. 

Sexton Hardcastle
8 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Just noticed this. A bit puzzled by the “bottling it again” comment. Bottling it on multiple games is definitely something the Texans have not done this year. We’ve won loads of close games. To use a shitey American sports term, they must be one of the most “clutch” teams this year. 

At this rate, may not play anyone on Wildcard weekend. I’m in two minds about that, because if they are at home in that round, I’ll be able to go to it. 

Was maybe a bit hasty but that’s as they were blowing my line at the time.

Overall an impressive season compared to years gone by but hard to see them dealing with the patriots/Steelers/KC assuming they get by a favourable Titans or colts at home.

Saints can as good as wrap up no 1 in the NFC with a win tonight.

5 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Was maybe a bit hasty but that’s as they were blowing my line at the time.

Overall an impressive season compared to years gone by but hard to see them dealing with the patriots/Steelers/KC assuming they get by a favourable Titans or colts at home.

Saints can as good as wrap up no 1 in the NFC with a win tonight.

Hard to see past the Saints in the NFC.

The AFC is pretty open. Some teams peaking nicely now, others falling out of form. I’d fancy our chances against anyone at home, so praying we can win in Philly next week to get the home advantage through the divisionals, at least.

Could yet **** it up completely, of course! 

The Rams getting beat last night was a great result for the Saints. Keeps us at first seed before going to Carolina tonight. 

Hoping to wake up to a win. 

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Brees and Thomas got shit form as I rely on them for the redraft final.

Typical.

Their offense has completely changed since Ingram has come back and started featuring more.

Sexton Hardcastle

Hopefully a high scoring game with the Steelers going for the no 1 seed will inspire them this week.

Mahomes about 100 yards ahead for the passing leader but a tough game in Seattle . Crazy if they lose that and the chargers win they would drop from no 1 to no 5 seed.

12 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Hopefully a high scoring game with the Steelers going for the no 1 seed will inspire them this week.

Mahomes about 100 yards ahead for the passing leader but a tough game in Seattle . Crazy if they lose that and the chargers win they would drop from no 1 to no 5 seed.

Yeah something needs to be done regarding seeding. For me it's unfair if a team finishes 2nd in their division with a record of 12+ wins and end up lower than a team who wins their division with 8 or 9 wins.

36 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Steelers need to win out and about 8 other results to go their way just to get 2nd seed, they can't get 1st.

Sexton Hardcastle
4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Steelers need to win out and about 8 other results to go their way just to get 2nd seed, they can't get 1st.

Was referring to KC. Have been pretty amazing all season and could either finish no 1 and the benefits that comes with or be 5th and be on the road with an extra game. Pretty shabby.

17 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Was referring to KC. Have been pretty amazing all season and could either finish no 1 and the benefits that comes with or be 5th and be on the road with an extra game. Pretty shabby.

Ah get you now, just read it as 'steelers going for no 1 seed'.

Anyone else think the whole thing has kind of opened out a bit over the last few weeks?  Chiefs look a bit banged up now, Rams lost a couple, Saints not scoring a ton like they were.

Could see a Ravens or Bears maybe put it on their defence and make a run. 

Sexton Hardcastle
38 minutes ago, Ross992 said:

Anyone else think the whole thing has kind of opened out a bit over the last few weeks?  Chiefs look a bit banged up now, Rams lost a couple, Saints not scoring a ton like they were.

Yes and no. Think there’s 4 teams with a genuine shot at it, maybe five including the chargers on current form.

Rams/Saints and KC/Patriots.

Patriots not on good form but you could never bet against them in the playoffs and at Gillette. 

Still confident of my season bet KC Rams super bowl. 

2 hours ago, Ross992 said:

While both have amazing defenses, both teams weakness right now is at QB which would ultimately go against them I reckon.

The Chargers are the most dangerous team for me.

Rivers playing the best football of his life.

A top end RB returning from injury.

And an underrated D.

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

While both have amazing defenses, both teams weakness right now is at QB which would ultimately go against them I reckon.

If the Colts can pull off the remarkable and get in, then you all better be afraid, because we’ve now got the number 1 defense over the last 8 weeks...and the QB

19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

If the Colts can pull off the remarkable and get in, then you all better be afraid, because we’ve now got the number 1 defense over the last 8 weeks...and the QB

I wouldn't put it past the Colts either. There's always someone coming out from the pack and surprising everyone.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I wouldn't put it past the Colts either. There's always someone coming out from the pack and surprising everyone.

Up against it to get the wildcard, but I’d fancy our chances against anyone right now. Luck didn’t even put up great numbers against the Cowboys and we still won. Shutting down Zeke and Cooper wasn’t going to be easy, but they really stepped up.

luckyBatistuta
17 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Couple of notable names missing from the pro bowl. Thought Vander Esch has had a solid season.

Can someone please explain why Leonard has not been selected...probably won’t het DROY either, nonsense. 

CJ Mosley (2018 Pro Bowler)
-91 tackles
-0 FF
-0 FR
-5 TFL
-0 INT
-0.5 sacks

Darius Leonard (Not a Pro Bowler)
-146 tackles
-4 FF
-2 FR
-12 TFL
-1 INT
-7 sacks 

——————————

clowney: 37 tkl, 14 tfl, 0 ff, 8 sacks (in 501 pass rushes), 0 pd, 0 int

leonard: 146 tkl, 12 tfl, 4 ff, 7 sacks (in 38 pass rushes), 6 pd, 1 int

———————————

Darius Leonard; LB, Indianapolis Colts

The Colts rookie linebacker leads the NFL in tackles by a wide margin. His 146 total tackles are 22 better than Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly, who sits in second place with 124. Add in seven sacks, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, six passes defended and an interception, and there’s no excuse for Leonard to be left out. The production from Benardrick McKinney and C.J. Moseley doesn’t come close to Leonard’s.

by Jason Owens (Yahoo Sports)

—————————————————-

I take it Tom Brady’s selection is done before the season gets underway, another fekn joke.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

31 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Looking forward to saturday nights games. Chargers Ravens has massive implications on playoff seedings.

Should be a belter.

The Mrs informed me that we're going to some light show thing at a zoo on Sunday at 6. Will definitely miss the 6pm games.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Should be a belter.

The Mrs informed me that we're going to some light show thing at a zoo on Sunday at 6. Will definitely miss the 6pm games.

If it’s any consolation, you can skip through it in about 45 mins...

I’m gonna be halfway across the Atlantic during those games. Hoping that GamePass works on BA’s streaming WiFi, but I don’t hold out much hope. 

chuck berrys hairline
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Should be a belter.

Aye right, get your priorities right lad ?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

In the Kickback Dynasty, When did the trade deadline get removed? I can't remember having a vote or a poll on the issue.

5 hours ago, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar said:

In the Kickback Dynasty, When did the trade deadline get removed? I can't remember having a vote or a poll on the issue.

Rules have just been made up/changed/ignored as we go along...

When I lose today, I’ll be calling for disqualification of the Pirates for a violation of the taxi squad rule ?

J.T.F.Robertson
12 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Chargers been utter gash. 

This! We're goosed.

Fabby dabby sporting weekend. Hearts lose, Flames lose, Ravens win and Steelers are a few hours away from being gubbed in New Orleans.

Merry Christmas. :(

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm not really bothered about Brate if that's what you're thinking. I was offered something significantly better than him, But trading during any part of the playoffs seems ridiculous to me. Trying to play 2 teams off against each other when they're in the fantasy Superbowl? is just wrong.

As far as i know, There are no taxi squad rules in this league. I somehow doubt you'll lose though.

J.T.F.Robertson

It's not going to be difficult enough to win down there, but the official, a whole 5 yards away, calls a completely bullshit pass interference (and on 4th down) in the end zone.

Vent, vent!

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson