**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

9 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Come down and enjoy an early draft pick. 

We'll certainly be picking top 10, top 5 isn't out with the realms of possibility either.

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

chuck berrys hairline
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Worst of it is, the NFC North looks to be a piece of piss to win this year. No one looking all that great.

I didn't think it was possible to make Caldwell look good ?

27 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I didn't think it was possible to make Caldwell look good ?

He's doing a great job of doing just that!

It's interesting if you look at the success (or lack of) of Belichick coaches vs someone like Andy Reid, who's understudies tend to go on and do well. 

What a ****ing pick 6 by the Texans! First time in 44 red zone visits the opponents haven’t scored. Some way to end that run! 

On 15/11/2018 at 21:35, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I understand the potential for injury would be a big factor, but $14.5 Mill is not to be sneezed at, plus, I believe he was offered a contract over 4 or 5 years amounting to around $70 Mill but I guess the "guaranteed" did not suit.

He'll probably make it up as a FA though, Oakland / Vegas, for one, have money coming out their erseholes. Their o'line may not measure up though, although that is obviously not his main concern.

Thanks, but cheerio, and I felt that way before Conner and when he started all this for the second time. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice etc.

I'm not bitter though. :whistling:

NFL running backs get particularly screwed over by the contract process. It's a well-known adage in the NFL that running backs over 30 run out of steam fast. Because of the way rookie contracts work, RBs will play their best years under a rookie contract, which often runs 5-6 years, then have to try to cash in after it's all done.

A few notable cases -- Ricky Williams and Adrian Peterson -- have shown that it's not really turning 30 that does it, but that 8 full years of heavy carrying in the NFL will wear out a body. Both of them (in Peterson's case because of some injuries, in Williams case because . . . well mental health, marijuana, a vision quest in India, autism spectrum, etc.) took extended time off in their 20s and had big playing years well into their 30s.

Running backs in particular get beat to hell in the game, and they often have crippling health issues the rest of their lives. So I support every NFL player, particularly running backs, deciding not to play if they think the deal doesn't work for them. Robert Smith was perhaps the best running back in the league in 2000, but he retired at his peak because he wanted a career in medicine and didn't want to be dealing with major injuries the rest of his life. Everyone thought he was insane at the time but his decision has made more sense the longer I watch football.

9 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

NFL running backs get particularly screwed over by the contract process. It's a well-known adage in the NFL that running backs over 30 run out of steam fast. Because of the way rookie contracts work, RBs will play their best years under a rookie contract, which often runs 5-6 years, then have to try to cash in after it's all done.

A few notable cases -- Ricky Williams and Adrian Peterson -- have shown that it's not really turning 30 that does it, but that 8 full years of heavy carrying in the NFL will wear out a body. Both of them (in Peterson's case because of some injuries, in Williams case because . . . well mental health, marijuana, a vision quest in India, autism spectrum, etc.) took extended time off in their 20s and had big playing years well into their 30s.

Running backs in particular get beat to hell in the game, and they often have crippling health issues the rest of their lives. So I support every NFL player, particularly running backs, deciding not to play if they think the deal doesn't work for them. Robert Smith was perhaps the best running back in the league in 2000, but he retired at his peak because he wanted a career in medicine and didn't want to be dealing with major injuries the rest of his life. Everyone thought he was insane at the time but his decision has made more sense the longer I watch football.

The average RB lasts about two years in the NFL. 

J.T.F.Robertson

Boy, when we stink we REALLY stink.

Ben is utterly psyched by this team's defence, carried over from last year, no doubt That's 8 (eight) int's in the last two regular season meetings against this lot and he still has 1:30 to go in the third.

Now he just throws a 70 odd yard TD to Brown, then misses on the 2 point convert. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The guy on redzone is great :lol:

I definitely thought that Washington kick hit the bar too. 

Really? I was watching the full game and it was clearly miles short. 

Just now, Peebo said:

Really? I was watching the full game and it was clearly miles short. 

Yeah must have been the smaller picture in the double screen that did it. Obviously miles short on the replay. 

I’m in Houston on Wilcard weekend. Am now thinking I may still have no game to go to as a bye looks a realistic possibility. 

Sexton Hardcastle

The whole defence doing the pic celebration has grown old pretty quickly. Was funny a few weeks back but every single time now?

Also the eagles are utter rotten now.

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I've followed the game long enough to know a RB's lifespan is short and I understand some of his reasoning, I just feel he could have handled it better. But then I'm a Steelers' fan, not one of any particular player, so will naturally have a twisted outlook on the whole process. ;)

luckyBatistuta
On 17/11/2018 at 10:44, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've said it before and still believe it - it's your OL that's the real star, not Bell. 

It'll be real interesting to see how he fares at the likes of the Raiders, whose OL is terrible. I suspect he'll come crashing back down to earth, although he won't care, not with all that money in the bank.

Agree, but Bell is still a special player. Our OL is starting to look really good and I’d love to see Bell playing behind it. However, I don’t think Ballard will pay him what he wants. We have the cash to pay him what he wants, but roll forward a couple of years and we could lose some great players to FA because of the deal. I’d love to have him, but rather we passed on him. 

22 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Beat the Texans and the Skins are going to the play offs

Jinx

2 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

0-11 awaits and two qbs. Injured. Can’t make this season up.

You really are having unbelievably bad luck bud...still not looking forward to our week 13 meeting though ?

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Agree, but Bell is still a special player. Our OL is starting to look really good and I’d love to see Bell playing behind it. However, I don’t think Ballard will pay him what he wants. We have the cash to pay him what he wants, but roll forward a couple of years and we could lose some great players to FA because of the deal. I’d love to have him, but rather we passed on him. 

Jinx

You really are having unbelievably bad luck bud...still not looking forward to our week 13 meeting though ?

I know ::facepaw::

Can the Redskins play away from home everyweek please. 

12 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I like your guy Mack, he seems to be motoring a bit now, investing all that money in a RB would be a waste - I'd certainly be against the Lions doing so.

luckyBatistuta
42 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I like your guy Mack, he seems to be motoring a bit now, investing all that money in a RB would be a waste - I'd certainly be against the Lions doing so.

Mack has looked a lot better, still has faults, but he’s young and will get better. He can get the head down and power through, but also get to the outside and take it to the house. I wasn’t entirely sure about Kerryon Johnson coming out the draft, but really liking the look of what I’ve seen so far. I was definitely right about Golladay being a bit special coming out of the draft, you’ve got a good one there.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Mack has looked a lot better, still has faults, but he’s young and will get better. He can get the head down and power through, but also get to the outside and take it to the house. I wasn’t entirely sure about Kerryon Johnson coming out the draft, but really liking the look of what I’ve seen so far. I was definitely right about Golladay being a bit special coming out of the draft, you’ve got a good one there.

Both are outstanding. For me, KJ has been the best rookie back outside of Barkley...I may be biased.

Now, if only we could built any sort of OL, DL and secondary :lol:

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Both are outstanding. For me, KJ has been the best rookie back outside of Barkley...I may be biased.

Now, if only we could built any sort of OL, DL and secondary :lol:

Has looked really powerful, also put Chubb up there now the shackles are off ( of course, I’m biased with him, as I drafted him)

Bridge of Djoum

Been looking forward to tonight's game for a while. Rams V Chiefs. 

Looks like it could be a great shootout.

6 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Been looking forward to tonight's game for a while. Rams V Chiefs. 

Looks like it could be a great shootout.

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment. 

Sexton Hardcastle
26 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It'll be an absolute travesty if it isn't Rams v Saints for the NFC Championship with the winner playing the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Would be the best game on paper at present but just known Bill and Brady l, especially if at home, will change it.

luckyBatistuta

Stayed up to watch the game, still shattered, but I don’t care. That was one of the best games I’ve ever seen, how anyone can say the NFL is boring rubbish  :facepalm:

Had a 60pt lead in the Dynasty going into that game and was still starting to panic at one point, Hill is a monster.

3 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Sarcasm?

Nah. 

Of course I’m being sarcastic!

Edited by Peebo

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, Peebo said:

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment. 

It was. Any win by Chiefs won me $300. Bummed.

You would think in a game with that many points that both defences were poor. Far from it.

They were both pretty good when needed. Their offences last night were crazy. Both quarterbacks hopefully are around for a long time.

Sexton Hardcastle

It’s funny how two or even last year not many rated Goff. He has become a incredibly solid player but again does the oline and decent wr/rb do this?

Players value changes so quickly in the nfl. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Stayed up to watch the game, still shattered, but I don’t care. That was one of the best games I’ve ever seen, how anyone can say the NFL is boring rubbish  :facepalm:

Had a 60pt lead in the Dynasty going into that game and was still starting to panic at one point, Hill is a monster.

Same.

53 point lead and my opponent had Cooks and Woods. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Peebo said:

Nah. 

Of course I’m being sarcastic!

Haha. Sorry.

Incredible game. Hard not to see the Rams going all the way.

Sexton Hardcastle

Looking forward to tomorrow’s games. If Mitch is fit got to fancy the Bears. Defence has been solid past few weeks. Cowboys Skins game winner will probably go into win the division and again on form got to back Zeke and his crew.

Then can look forward to an 80 point game with the Saints and Falcons.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

Speaking of running backs...

One of the best high school running backs in the country just changed positions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/21/nations-top-running-back-recruit-is-changing-positions-smart-guy-says-adrian-peterson/?utm_term=.f3fa485e7c54

That’s a great read, you really can’t blame the guy if he’s good enough to make the transition.

2 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Stupidly took Bears handicap and now seems chase bloody Daniels will start. School boy error.

Mack to the rescue it is.

It wouldn't matter who they have at QB :lol:

18 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Speaking of running backs...

One of the best high school running backs in the country just changed positions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/21/nations-top-running-back-recruit-is-changing-positions-smart-guy-says-adrian-peterson/?utm_term=.f3fa485e7c54

While Peterson may feel undervalued, he should probably reflect on the fact that in many other types of business, being a child abuser would have limited his earning potential much further than the position he plays in this one.