• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

Sterling Archer

@evansilva: Ryan Mallett's career preseason stats: 111-of-206 passing (53.9%) for 1,104 yards (5.36 YPA), 7 TDs, 3 INTs. 9 sacks taken.

One source reports that a Ryan Mallett-to-the-Texans trade may completed soon. According to that source, the Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A third is mch more reasonable

A third is great business. As your stats point out, he has done nothing. I suppose O'Brien, as QB coach as well as OC at New England, knows him better than most though.

AJ McCarron as the new heir apparent to Brady?

Better not be for the 2.01

Why not? Is he any worse than what would be left at that stage?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ian Rapoport?@RapSheet4 mins

There is no deal between the Patriots and the Texans for Ryan Mallett

I tend to ignore Crap Sheet. The man is an idiot.

I tend to ignore Crap Sheet. The man is an idiot.

He also has a very punchable face

This was apparently added on the end of the tweet btw But the interest from Houston and Bill O?Brien is real.#Staytuned

rossthejambo

He also has a very punchable face

This was apparently added on the end of the tweet btw But the interest from Houston and Bill O?Brien is real.#Staytuned

Read from someone else that Pats want a 2nd for him which is why it's not done yet.

Sterling Archer

Why not? Is he any worse than what would be left at that stage?

Yes considerably.

Sterling Archer

That's also the 2.01.

2015 2nd more palatable if texans believe they bounce back.

Yes considerably.

Fair dues. Time will tell.

I certainly wouldn't write someone off (or otherwise) based on pre-season stats, though.

Sterling Archer

I'm not, I think he can still be good. He's not even close to what you can get at 33 though.

Especially when he's only got 1 year left on his deal

rossthejambo

That "Hey Rookie" program on Sky just showed the video of Lattimore dislocating his knee in 2012...ouch!

Lions reportedly considering giving up their 2nd for Chiefs Brandon Flowers. They do that, then they have to be serious about moving up for Watkins as well. All in to try and win now.

edit: Though it would be the other way round. They need to try and move up for Watkins using their 2015 1st and 1.10, and if they succeed then they can move the 2nd for Flowers.

Edited by Alshon

Geoff Kilpatrick

Lions reportedly considering giving up their 2nd for Chiefs Brandon Flowers. They do that, then they have to be serious about moving up for Watkins as well. All in to try and win now.

edit: Though it would be the other way round. They need to try and move up for Watkins using their 2015 1st and 1.10, and if they succeed then they can move the 2nd for Flowers.

Certainly better than reaching for Gilbert at 10.

I'm not, I think he can still be good. He's not even close to what you can get at 33 though.

Again, fair dues. I'm just interested in why you think that, given he has a good reputation, and there are apparently a lot of questions marks over all of the QBs, never mind the ones who will fall to the second round.

They don't have milk the draft event. Bringing the caps that are handed out to the players up the red carpet in glass containers, like they're valuable jewels. Asking the prospects who they're wearing :uhoh2:

Sterling Archer

Again, fair dues. I'm just interested in why you think that, given he has a good reputation, and there are apparently a lot of questions marks over all of the QBs, never mind the ones who will fall to the second round.

This article from Bill Barnwell makes a lot of good points

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-free-agency-storm-starts-early/

Mallett of Plot

With the free-agent money spigot officially turned on, bargain hunters have instead moved to the trading block, where we?re enduring yet another offseason of Patriots backup quarterback hysteria. This time, it?s the Houston Texans reportedly eyeing former Arkansas starter Ryan Mallett, currently the primary backup to Tom Brady. New Texans head coach Bill O?Brien coached Mallett during the latter?s rookie season in New England, lending some marginal amount of credence to the gossip.

This obviously isn?t the first time a Patriots backup has been rumored to be on the trading block. Ever since Bill Belichick turned to Tom Brady during the 2001 season and came away with a Hall of Fame quarterback, there?s been a certain mystic quality attached to the quarterbacks playing behind Brady. Every time the Patriots draft or identify a quarterback to play behind their incumbent, speculation immediately arises that this is some brilliant move by Belichick to create a tradable asset. Then, when the rumors eventually arise, the backup is somehow more valuable than he was when the entire league passed on him multiple times in the draft because he?s spent years learning at the right hand of Brady.

It?s absurd for a number of reasons. Excluding veterans like Doug Flutie and Vinny Testaverde, let?s run through the history of post-Brady backup quarterbacks in New England, most of whom have received this sort of fawning treatment:

Player Acquired How? Pats PA Left Team Non-Pats PA Rohan Davey 2002 Fourth-round pick 19 Released, 2005 0 Matt Cassel 2005 Seventh-round pick 555 Traded, 2009 1,743 Matt Gutierrez 2007 Undrafted 1 Released, 2009 1 Kevin O?Connell 2008 Third-round pick 6 Released, 2009 0 Brian Hoyer 2009 Undrafted 43 Released, 2012 149 Ryan Mallett 2011 Third-round pick 4 ? ?

To date, the Patriots have invested two third-round picks, a fourth-rounder, and a seventh-rounder in backup quarterbacks. They haven?t gotten much in return. The only player to assume anything more than garbage-time work was Cassel, who inherited one of the greatest offenses in league history and produced a roughly league-average season. Not coincidentally, he?s the only one the Patriots turned into something, as they dealt Cassel with Mike Vrabel to Kansas City for a high second-round pick (which, for trivia?s sake, became Patrick Chung). Given the picks they?ve used to acquire them, it?s hard to argue that the Patriots have benefited from their young passer strategy.

After leaving New England, those players haven?t been very useful. The Chiefs made it to the playoffs with Cassel in 2010, but it?s fair to say he was dragged there by a league-leading rushing attack, above-average defense, and the easiest schedule in the conference. He failed to live up to his six-year, $63 million deal in Kansas City and eventually made his way to Minnesota, where he re-upped with a two-year, $10 million contract this weekend. He?s a solid backup nobody should ever mistake for a viable starter. Hoyer has bounced around the league, starting a meaningless game for the Cardinals in 2012 before exhibiting some promise playing for the Browns last year. He beat the Vikings and Bengals before tearing his ACL early in his third start, and he will be part of a to-be-determined quarterback competition in Cleveland in 2014.

The jury is still out on Mallett, but it?s hard to fathom that his value has somehow gone up, as the Boston Herald suggests. The Patriots took Mallett with the 74th pick in the third round of the 2011 draft, meaning that each and every team passed on the Arkansas product at least once. In his three ensuing seasons as a pro, Mallett has thrown a total of four passes, one of which was intercepted. He has been a solid citizen since joining the Patriots, which was one of the concerns surrounding Mallett during the pre-draft process, but that maturity comes with the price of age. Mallett will turn 26 in June, and he?s currently entering the final year of his rookie contract. Much of the excess value in drafting and developing a young passer is because players like Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck make a fraction of what they would otherwise get in the free market, allowing teams to spend their savings elsewhere.

The Texans would only get one such year before deciding whether Mallett deserves a contract extension, and the going rate for post-rookie deal quarterback extensions is probably somewhere in the $18 million per year range. That makes him a far less valuable proposition than many of the quarterbacks in this year?s draft, who will have up to five cost-controlled seasons in their rookie deals. Any team interested in Mallett also knows it can wait until next season and go after him at a greatly reduced rate in free agency without having to pony up a draft pick, which eliminates much of the Patriots? leverage. If the Texans really do want to kick the tires on Mallett, it would be unwise of them to offer anything more than a seventh-round pick.

Sterling Archer

I like that this year each prospect has chosen the song he comes out to. Proper WWE Stuff! :lol:

I've just drank the equivalent of 4 espresso's after having a can of that rockstar pish earlier. I'm going to die

rossthejambo

Rockstar? :lol: that stuff is rotten.

I thought about cracking open the coffee but I'm just going to take my chances and see how long I can stay awake for.

Sterling Archer

Rockstar? :lol: that stuff is rotten.

I thought about cracking open the coffee but I'm just going to take my chances and see how long I can stay awake for.

My little girl has been up before 6 for the last few days and I need to be up at 6 again tomorrow. Can't be falling asleep during this.

Edited by Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sitting watching Always Sunny waiting for NFL.com coverage to start.

Thundergun Express :lol:

rossthejambo

I've been struggling in the mornings all week, up at 7 tomorrow as well. I'll probably need caffeine wired right to my veins tomorrow :lol:

Isaac Clarke

I'm on nightshift this weekend so it's probably a good idea for me to try and stay up tonight.

When the draft actually starts I'll pick up!

7pm here lads. Cracking open my first beer.

Actually I'm not. It's bath time for the wee man.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Pretty disappointed when the graphics said "IT'S TIME" Bruce Buffer never ran on stage.

Should be really interesting from here on in. Plenty of different options and scenarios that could play out.

Sterling Archer

I wouldn't say im confident about any landing spots at all...

rossthejambo

Didn't even notice the walk on music for Clowney :lol:

Rams should pick Robinson or Matthews.

rossthejambo

First 2 picks were pretty safe I think, now we're getting to the interesting picks.