**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Martin Gray, kickback username is Martin Ill email him tomorrow if we've not got any further.

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

That's the two I was looking to target Moreno and McCoy. I've been logging on multiple times each day checking to see if they were still waiting for me. nearly :angry:

You still done well with Benson though, he was a steal with that pick.

He was completely off my radar as I'd wrongly thought he'd already been picked.

Just need to survive three picks and I'll have two players I will be very happy with. But two of the three have still to select RB's, so I'll not be holding my breath.

Sterling Archer

You still done well with Benson though, he was a steal with that pick.

He was completely off my radar as I'd wrongly thought he'd already been picked.

Just need to survive three picks and I'll have two players I will be very happy with. But two of the three have still to select RB's, so I'll not be holding my breath.

Agree that Benson was good value at that pick. I think there's going to be a lot of value in the later rounds, that's where I feel I have the best chance to get ahead.

That's assuming someone doesn't trade up and nab one of them :lol:

After all that, the *******'s nicked Pierre Thomas, the last remaining running back on my board. Making it 4 of them going in the last 8 picks.

Christ knows what I'll do now.

Edited by ForresterJambo

Sterling Archer

After all that, the *******'s nicked Pierre Thomas, the last remaining running back on my board. Making it 4 of them going in the last 8 picks.

Personally, if it was me in your position and you're desperate for a RB you could take a chance of a playmaker who won't get many touches like Felix Jones, C.J. Spiller or Jahvid Best (best has had some injury worries though should have the best opportunity).

I also like Forte to have a bounce back season and think that Donald Brown is a good player for the future, he should see a 40-60 split with Addai this year and take over as the lead next year, he was also a 1st rounder last year so that's got to count for something.

Guys I'd avoid are Ronnie Brown (injury), Brandon Jacobs (injury), Ben Tate (complete lack of talent), Jerome Harrison (the coaching staff just doesn't like him).

Don't blame me if I'm totally wrong though :lol:

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Personally, if it was me in your position and you're desperate for a RB you could take a chance of a playmaker who won't get many touches like Felix Jones, C.J. Spiller or Jahvid Best (best has had some injury worries though should have the best opportunity).

I also like Forte to have a bounce back season and think that Donald Brown is a good player for the future, he should see a 40-60 split with Addai this year and take over as the lead next year, he was also a 1st rounder last year so that's got to count for something.

Guys I'd avoid are Ronnie Brown (injury), Brandon Jacobs (injury), Ben Tate (complete lack of talent), Jerome Harrison (the coaching staff just doesn't like him).

Agree with Harrison, Def won't be a starter come the season opener, Despite the fantastic end to his 2010 season.

Sterling Archer

Agree with Harrison, Def won't be a starter come the season opener, Despite the fantastic end to his 2010 season.

They've added Hardesty who has the most talent of all the backs on the roster (still don't think he'll get much opportunity in the short term) and Peyton Hillis as well (who will have a bigger impact than expected, he certainly won't play FB as they're set with Vickers). Can't remember if one of them got cut but James Davis and Chris Jennings also looked good in camp last year. Cleveland's back field is a mess for fantasy purposes.

Don't know enough about Best to commit my 3rd pick to him and there is no chance I want to take a big risk on a rookie (Spiller). I am tempted to take Jones as it appears he'll take over from Barber this year but just what that means we'll have to wait and see. Jones may start the games but the offence is built around Romo and Barber will take the lion's share of the carries in the 4th quarter.

There isn't much left at receiver, in terms of someone you can count on, so I'm not sure. To anyone reading I am open to a trade.

Sterling Archer

Don't know enough about Best to commit my 3rd pick to him and there is no chance I want to take a big risk on a rookie (Spiller). I am tempted to take Jones as it appears he'll take over from Barber this year but just what that means we'll have to wait and see. Jones may start the games but the offence is built around Romo and Barber will take the lion's share of the carries in the 4th quarter.

There isn't much left at receiver, in terms of someone you can count on, so I'm not sure. To anyone reading I am open to a trade.

Google Jahvid Best - concussion video and see what comes up, it was BRUTAL. He's still a huge talent though, may not last very long that's all! The thing with Dallas is that it's always going to be RBBC, regardless of who is "officially the starter". Barber struggled when he was named the starter and seems best suited to coming in at the beginning and end of games and wearing teams down, Jones is a better prospect but Choice is still there and is a great player just stuck in a loaded backfield.

I love the WR Depth this year, was tempted to go WR, WR as I hate drafting RB's but somehow ended up at the 4th round without a WR.

Sterling Archer

Donnie, whats a PPR league? And are we in one?

Cheers

You get 0.5 Points per reception, it's a way to increase the value of WR's to make them more equal in value to RB's. Currently the league is set that way is as that is now the norm for most Fantasy leagues but it's open to change if there are really strong opinions surrounding it.

Nucky Thompson

I think Davis will be the top TE in the NFL this year and I wanted in quick with that pick :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

I think Davis will be the top TE in the NFL this year and I wanted in quick with that pick :thumbsup:

I think Jermichael Finley/Antonio Gates (gates dependant on Jackson's holdout) will be the top TE this year, unfortunately both will go long before I pick.

You get 0.5 Points per reception, it's a way to increase the value of WR's to make them more equal in value to RB's. Currently the league is set that way is as that is now the norm for most Fantasy leagues but it's open to change if there are really strong opinions surrounding it.

Ahh ok. Was just reading up on a few players and it mentioned PPR, just couldn't work out what it stood for. I had actually drafted WR's early based on that 0.5 points per reception, surely it's too late to change that rule now?

Sterling Archer

Ahh ok. Was just reading up on a few players and it mentioned PPR, just couldn't work out what it stood for. I had actually drafted WR's early based on that 0.5 points per reception, surely it's too late to change that rule now?

I don't want to change it. It's been in there from the start and I trust that everyone read the league rules :lol: (yeah right). As I said, it would take overwhelming hatred of it to change it, I agree that it would be unfair as it affects drafting strategy.

I think Jermichael Finley/Antonio Gates (gates dependant on Jackson's holdout) will be the top TE this year, unfortunately both will go long before I pick.

I've offered you a new trade. The next pick (and Finley or Gates) could be yours.

Sterling Archer

I've offered you a new trade. The next pick (and Finley or Gates) could be yours.

Sorry, what I meant was that someone would take them before I personally would pick them! Sorry for the confusion.

Nucky Thompson

Finley could be a good shout as he will be starter this year and see a lot more passes.

He was one I certainly had my eye on and had you selected any other TE I would be taking Davis right now.

Sorry, what I meant was that someone would take them before I personally would pick them! Sorry for the confusion.

No real confusion. I was just trying to dangle some bait in front of you.

Oh well, I better pick after all eh?

Nucky Thompson

He was one I certainly had my eye on and had you selected any other TE I would be taking Davis right now.

I was tempted to go for the safe option and pick Dallas Clark but I was looking at the bigger picture.

Sterling Archer

No real confusion. I was just trying to dangle some bait in front of you.

Oh well, I better pick after all eh?

It almost worked. I'm going to try and stay calm though :lol: it's so tempting to just trade up and have the excitement of getting to make a pick though!

When I traded back earlier in the draft I probably didn't get the value I should have but the way I looked at it was there were 4 guys I liked equally, so I could afford to move back a few spots, still get one of the guys i liked and anything I picked up on top was a bonus. If you like a lot of guys equally there's no harm in doing that, just don't move back too far!

Went with Jason Witten.

It was either him or Anquan Boldin for a safe pair of hands. Witten stays more injury free and with Boldin moving onto a new team (i.e. QB) the latter was always going to be more of a gamble.

Sterling Archer

It would appear that the run on TE's has started, you know what they say, when everyone zigs you got to zag! :whistling:

Nucky Thompson

Took a chance with Matt Forte but I've got a wee bit more confidence with Mike Martz as the offensive coordinator this year.

Took a chance with Matt Forte but I've got a wee bit more confidence with Mike Martz as the offensive coordinator this year.

And also a reason to warn everyone away from Greg Olsen. No TE has ever caught more than 40 passes in one season in a Mike Martz offence.

Sterling Archer

And also a reason to warn everyone away from Greg Olsen. No TE has ever caught more than 40 passes in one season in a Mike Martz offence.

unfortunately the WRs in Chicago are a total cluster****. Knox and Hester are looking good in OTAs but that could change quickly!

I've got my next pick sorted on the pre draft selection.

Was only really holding out for Matt Forte, so with him gone on the last pick I'm quite happy to pick up the other guy now :thumbsup:

unfortunately the WRs in Chicago are a total cluster****. Knox and Hester are looking good in OTAs but that could change quickly!

Knox is on my list but I've got 10 WR's I like and he is somewhere near the bottom. Hester I've never really thought of but he could flourish under Martz: added to the list. thumbsup.gif

Current team

Joe Flacco

Brandon Marshall

Larry Fitzgerald

Cedric Benson

Happy with the first four rounds. My original plan was to draft two WR's and follow it up with two RB's, But happy to pick up Flacco. Can now sit back for the next 20 odd picks and see how it all pans out now

Who is Jambo Broncos? Someone get him to shift his erse, the suspense is killing me ninja.gif

Sorry, was out last night which caused the delay.

Sorry for that as well :rolleyes:

Made my next pick and with Wayne and Boldin, I'm probably missing the point of a dynasty league!

Sterling Archer

Sorry, was out last night which caused the delay.

Sorry for that as well :rolleyes:

Made my next pick and with Wayne and Boldin, I'm probably missing the point of a dynasty league!

Win now never hurts though does it.

Forrester, I'm also hearing good things about Joaquin Iglesias in Chicago but he's one for the mid 20's I imagine.

Win now never hurts though does it.

It's a bit of a dilemma whether to focus only on that strategy now. Think after my next pick it might just be all out and take some risks otherwise I'm doing a Csaba and completely ignoring the younger players

Sterling Archer

Spoke to Tom, he can only get on the net at work at the moment, don't expect anymore picks until tomorrow.

Sterling Archer

I know we were rolling but I don't want to draft Toms whole team for him. As it was the weekend last time it was different, would have meant a 3 day wait, just need to wait till tomorrow morning. I'll be gutted if he picks the guy I want now though!

Nucky Thompson

I know we were rolling but I don't want to draft Toms whole team for him. As it was the weekend last time it was different, would have meant a 3 day wait, just need to wait till tomorrow morning. I'll be gutted if he picks the guy I want now though!

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

Indeed they have, I think Johnson is the value play in Washington though, they're all past it tbh. Ryan Torain's a sneaky option, he might surprise a few people (or he might do nothing).

Sterling Archer

Couple of things,

Panthers confirm WR Steve Smith broke arm playing flag football. Will miss start of truing camp. More to come on espn.

Draft Update:

2.15 31. Corstorphine Cowboys Jennings, Greg GBP WRFri Jun 18 5:11:32 a.m. ET 2010

2.16 32. Darth Ewing Colts Welker, Wes NEP WRFri Jun 18 8:39:44 a.m. ET 2010

3.01 33. Darth Ewing Colts Manning, Eli NYG QBFri Jun 18 8:42:15 a.m. ET 2010

3.02 34. Goldenacre Giants Rice, Sidney MIN WRFri Jun 18 4:42:42 p.m. ET 2010 Pick made on behalf of Gordon, this pick replaces Gordon's second round that he mistakenly used on the Jets D. The Jets D have been dropped from his roster.

3.03 35. Corstorphine Cowboys Crabtree, Michael SFO WRSat Jun 19 5:18:35 a.m. ET 2010

3.04 36. Melbourne Patriots Colston, Marques NOS WRSat Jun 19 9:13:41 a.m. ET 2010

3.05 37. Prestonpans Pirates Williams, DeAngelo CAR RBSat Jun 19 9:13:42 a.m. ET 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

3.06 38. Corstorphine Steelers White, Roddy ATL WRSat Jun 19 11:17:12 a.m. ET 2010

3.07 39. Dunedin Buccaneers Moreno, Knowshon DEN RBSat Jun 19 1:55:32 p.m. ET 2010

3.08 40. Kaunas Buckeyes Wells, Chris ARI RBSat Jun 19 2:21:16 p.m. ET 2010 Young, high upside guy. Fits the bill perfectly.

3.09 41. Inversneck 75ers Smith, Steve NYG WRSat Jun 19 2:59:27 p.m. ET 2010

3.10 42. Queensferry Dolphins Greene, Shonn NYJ RBSat Jun 19 6:07:48 p.m. ET 2010 Run heavy offence this guy will be a monster and only 24

3.11 43. Goldenacre Giants Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RBSun Jun 20 10:00:49 a.m. ET 2010

3.12 44. Gorgie Patriots McCoy,

LeSean PHI RBSun Jun 20 11:47:27 a.m. ET 2010 Pick made on behalf of Tom - Young RB in a strong offense who can be effective in the passing game as well. Tempted to take VJax here but his 10 game hold out this year was just too much. Couldn't take the next rated player, Tom would never forgive me for taking a Colt!

3.13 45. SD Chargers Benson, Cedric CIN RBSun Jun 20 11:47:28 a.m. ET 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

3.14 46. Jambo Broncos Thomas, Pierre NOS RBMon Jun 21 8:49:50 a.m. ET 2010 Not convinced by this one but the good RB options are running out!

3.15 47. BooBoys Bengals Davis, Vernon SFO TEMon Jun 21 10:39:25 a.m. ET 2010

3.16 48. Cleveland Steamers Jackson, Vincent SDC WRMon Jun 21 10:45:36 a.m. ET 2010

3.17 49. Corstorphine Steelers Kolb, Kevin PHI QBMon Jun 21 11:05:07 a.m. ET 2010

4.01 50. Forrester Thunder Witten, Jason DAL TEMon Jun 21 11:35:00 a.m. ET 2010 Long list of players I wanted for this pick that went in the last 10-15. After that I needed a safe pair of hands.

4.02 51. Cleveland Steamers Clark, Dallas IND TEMon Jun 21 11:39:07 a.m. ET 2010

4.03 52. BooBoys Bengals Forte, Matt CHI RBMon Jun 21 11:43:56 a.m. ET 2010

4.04 53. Jambo Broncos Boldin, Anquan BAL WRMon Jun 21 12:07:52 p.m. ET 2010 Building up a bit of a Dad's army at WR

4.05 54. SD Chargers Flacco, Joe BAL QBMon Jun 21 12:07:53 p.m. ET 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List

4.06 55. Gorgie Patriots Gates, Antonio SDC TETue Jun 22 3:57:47 a.m. ET 2010

Edited by The Holy Spirit

Important couple of picks coming up for me. Surprised so many QB's and TE's have gone already might have to rethink my strategy?!?! Fingers crossed the draft kicks on a wee bit so I can get these ones out the way and get researching for later picks. :whistling:

Sterling Archer

Important couple of picks coming up for me. Surprised so many QB's and TE's have gone already might have to rethink my strategy?!?! Fingers crossed the draft kicks on a wee bit so I can get these ones out the way and get researching for later picks. :whistling:

I was surprised as well. Just means there should be value in other places. I'm surprised how quickly it's moving. Hopefully can keep it up. Are you working on a specific strategy for positions or just the type of guys you want to get?

I was surprised as well. Just means there should be value in other places. I'm surprised how quickly it's moving. Hopefully can keep it up. Are you working on a specific strategy for positions or just the type of guys you want to get?

Yeah hopefully it keeps moving along like this quite happy with how my picks have gone so far. Well I had drawn up a strategy of which position to aim for each round, i've also taken age into consideration but like I said might have to rethink things based on other people's draft choices. Like you said though still a lot of good players on the board, infactg one of the two players I was targeting for the next two rounds is still on the board and I think there is a chance he could still be there when it comes to my pick?!?!

Sterling Archer

Yeah hopefully it keeps moving along like this quite happy with how my picks have gone so far. Well I had drawn up a strategy of which position to aim for each round, i've also taken age into consideration but like I said might have to rethink things based on other people's draft choices. Like you said though still a lot of good players on the board, infactg one of the two players I was targeting for the next two rounds is still on the board and I think there is a chance he could still be there when it comes to my pick?!?!

Same here, not as I'd planned at all, wasn't going to take RB's until later but I guess that's just the way things go. I'm definately taking age into consideration with my high picks but less so with the later rounds. People tend to let guys like Mason, Ward, Driver etc slip far further than they should and it's guys like that that can win you titles.

How long is it till you pick next? I've got two guys I like at my pick, one far more risky than the other. I'll take either though.

Same here, not as I'd planned at all, wasn't going to take RB's until later but I guess that's just the way things go. I'm definately taking age into consideration with my high picks but less so with the later rounds. People tend to let guys like Mason, Ward, Driver etc slip far further than they should and it's guys like that that can win you titles.

How long is it till you pick next? I've got two guys I like at my pick, one far more risky than the other. I'll take either though.

Aye same here the further down my lists the older the players are geting hoping to pick up a few top drawer players in the later rounds who should be great value for a season or two?!? Its the amount of QB's that have gone thats really thrown me I thought that the top 3 or 4 elite QB's would go in the early rounds but there is only around 6 teams in the league who haven't drafted one yet.......still no need to panic!!!

Still got another 8 picks before mine but looking at the rosters ahead of me I should still be able to get who im after. How long you got??

What happens in the next couple of rounds will make the difference between the good and bad teams this year, although it'll have little to do with the skill of each fantasy GM.

With the exception of a couple of TE's I'd say all the safe picks have been made now and the rest are, at best, calculated gambles.

I've got to pick three receivers and I've got 12 on my draft board. The problem for me is they are all pretty similar players in the sense that they are all young guys with plenty of upside but who have yet to do it consistently in the NFL. In a sense it's also a blessing because I make four picks in the next 38 and I'm hopeful of landing at least two of those guys. If I do there's not a whole lot of difference between them so I'd be happy with the selection regardless of who from the 12 go before then.

Still trying to move up though (as both of you know). If I could get four guys from my draft board as my starting WRs and other running back then I'd be pretty pleased with myself.

Edited by ForresterJambo

Sterling Archer

Aye same here the further down my lists the older the players are geting hoping to pick up a few top drawer players in the later rounds who should be great value for a season or two?!? Its the amount of QB's that have gone thats really thrown me I thought that the top 3 or 4 elite QB's would go in the early rounds but there is only around 6 teams in the league who haven't drafted one yet.......still no need to panic!!!

Still got another 8 picks before mine but looking at the rosters ahead of me I should still be able to get who im after. How long you got??

I've got 4 or so picks till I'm up. I'm looking into giving a little up to move onto the clock now, just to make sure I get my guy. There's still some great dynasty QB prospects out there, certain sex offenders included:whistling:

What happens in the next couple of rounds will make the difference between the good and bad teams this year, although it'll have little to do with the skill of each fantasy GM.

With the exception of a couple of TE's I'd say all the safe picks have been made now and the rest are, at best, calculated gambles.

I've got to pick three receivers and I've got 12 on my draft board. The problem for me is they are all pretty similar players in the sense that they are all young guys with plenty of upside but who have yet to do it consistently in the NFL. In a sense it's also a blessing because I make four picks in the next 38 and I'm hopeful of landing at least two of those guys. If I do there's not a whole lot of difference between them so I'd be happy with the selection regardless of who from the 12 go before then.

Still trying to move up though (as both of you know). If I could get four guys from my draft board as my starting WRs and other running back then I'd be pretty pleased with myself.

I agree with your first point but not the one I've got in bold. It's easy to make picks in these first four rounds but the real skilll comes between rounds 8-20. I agree that you can pick a guy and get lucky but more often than not the guy that does the research will get more right than wrong. No-one will hit with every pick, not even NFL scouts do that, but winning more than you lose is essential.

I hope to do my best work in the next rounds.

Aye 4th and 5th rounds are going to interesting and like you said could seperate the good and not so good teams for this season. I've just been messing around trying to figure out who's going to go when and where and im quite optimistic the guys I want will be available.

There is still plenty of talent at WR if you ask me mate like me and THS were saying there could be a couple of top drawer recievers who get over looked as they are at the wrong end of the age scale?!?!

When you draft next??

Aye 4th and 5th rounds are going to interesting and like you said could seperate the good and not so good teams for this season. I've just been messing around trying to figure out who's going to go when and where and im quite optimistic the guys I want will be available.

There is still plenty of talent at WR if you ask me mate like me and THS were saying there could be a couple of top drawer recievers who get over looked as they are at the wrong end of the age scale?!?!

When you draft next??

Six picks time. Got it in a trade when I traded back. Then I'm waiting just over a round for my next two and then only 11 picks after that.