**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

I was hoping to pick up Rivers too, I didn't think so many QB's would go so early. Understandable though, once the trend is set then there is a rush on to get the last of the top QB's.

It's good to see that its ticking along nicely :thumbsup:

• Replies 33.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

I had to redo the divisions and the schedule this morning but definately worth it to have 16 teams. Had to have some strange bye weeks etc with only 15.

I like the pick, Dallas has as many weapons as any team in the league. I agree with you about the safety of picks. If you consider that career lifespans go QB, WR, RB then unless you're getting one of the elite RB's (CJ, ADP, MJD, Rice, Gore) you're taking a risk that you're pick is only around for a year or two. Suppose that means that those top RB's are even more valuable.

The bye weeks are good though, a rare week without a loss is always welcome :thumbsup:

It was basically between Romo and Rivers in the end. My Denver leanings meant I just couldn't bring myself to pick Rivers and I'm counting on Dallas on having more weapons, plus San Diego will miss Jackson if he holds out.

It'll be my pick pretty soon, time to choose between a risky RB or a reliable WR, especially considering all the really good options will be gone by the next time I pick.

The bye weeks are good though, a rare week without a loss is always welcome :thumbsup:

It was basically between Romo and Rivers in the end. My Denver leanings meant I just couldn't bring myself to pick Rivers and I'm counting on Dallas on having more weapons, plus San Diego will miss Jackson if he holds out.

It'll be my pick pretty soon, time to choose between a risky RB or a reliable WR, especially considering all the really good options will be gone by the next time I pick.

I've made my picks guys. Due to work the last couple of years I've missed a lot of the NFL so I'm not as confident as I may have been in years past. Took Carson Palmer and Ryan Grant.

Sterling Archer

I've made my picks guys. Due to work the last couple of years I've missed a lot of the NFL so I'm not as confident as I may have been in years past. Took Carson Palmer and Ryan Grant.

I like Palmer this year. They've got a good oline and have added 3 really good weapons for him in the form of Bryant, Gresham and Shipley. There's still a long way to go in this draft.

Sterling Archer

1.16 & 2.01 Forrester Thunder select Carson Palmer, QB & Ryan Grant, RB

2.02 Cleveland Steamers select Randy Moss, WR

2.03 Booboys Bengals select Calvin "megatron" Johnson, WR (he was my pick)

2.04 Jambo Broncos select Reggie Wayne, WR

2.05 SD Chargers select Brandon Marshall, WR

Gorgie Patriots on the clock.

Sterling Archer

I'm not going to panic about my QB, I'm quite happy to wait till a later round :rolleyes:

I like both your picks. There's some definate value to going QBBC with guys later on.

You don't need to worry about Romo taking his eye off the football to focus on golf...unless he gets really good at the latter...

Romo

Sterling Archer

2.06 Gorgie Patriots select Jonathan Stewart, RB

Goldenacre Giants on the clock.

I made this pick for Tom, hopefully it works out for him, glad I'm not in his division though.

2.06 Gorgie Patriots select Jonathan Stewart, RB

Goldenacre Giants on the clock.

I made this pick for Tom, hopefully it works out for him, glad I'm not in his division though.

Hi where can you find what players are left in the draft?. Thanks.

You don't need to worry about Romo taking his eye off the football to focus on golf...unless he gets really good at the latter...

Romo

Meant to include this link...not quite sure what happened...

My link

Edited by Peebo

Sterling Archer

Defence as a second round pick? I think he might have made a mistake with that?

If he has and wants to email me with an alternative then I'm happy to make the change. Maybe he's a big believer in Sexy Rexy?

Was wondering myself when to pick the defence? My next two picks are not until the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th, would that be too soon d'ya think?

Plus I haven't got a scooby who to actually pick. I know Baltimore still has a good D because, well, I think the World would stop spinning if they didn't. Anybody else decent?

Sterling Archer

Was wondering myself when to pick the defence? My next two picks are not until the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th, would that be too soon d'ya think?

Plus I haven't got a scooby who to actually pick. I know Baltimore still has a good D because, well, I think the World would stop spinning if they didn't. Anybody else decent?

Generally strategies differ but defences change so frequently from year to year that the best ones aren't THAT much better than the middle of the pack ones. Some say that you should wait until between 6-8 have already been taken before making your move (same with Kickers) where as others would rather just load up on WR's, RB's, QB's and TE's and pick D and K with their last two picks.

I certainly won't be picking one before maybe the 18th round. Unless there's one I really like. I just think you can get better value in other positions. Even if you draft a WR that you don't really need he'll have far more trade value than a D.

I pretty much agree. I won't be thinking about drafting D/ST and Kickers until I've ran out of skill players that I've targeted, and then I'm happy to just pick up whoever is available for these positions.

I'm pretty sure this was a mistake I made in last years ESPN draft, I can't remember but I think I drafted Kickers/D/ST far too early and I had no depth in other areas.

Haha I just looked over my draft results from our ESPN draft. I didn't fair too well.Here's the first 11 rounds. Minus Andre Johnson and picking up Pierre Garcon I think as a free agent, it was a disaster.

Round1 (15) Andre Johnson

Round2 (18) Marion Barber

Round3 (47) Tony Gonzalez

Round4 (50) Jay Cutler

Round5 (79) Jamal Lewis

Round6 (82) Steelers D/ST

Round7 (111) Julius Jones

Round8 (114) Matt Hasselbeck

Round (143) Bobby Engram

Round10(146) Redskins D/ST

Round11(175) Jason Elam (K)

I was the first one to select a D/ST and Steelers where the number 1 rated, but they actually ended up only 16th over all. So I've learned my lesson. Also, being a complete newbie to FF, I drafted a back up D/ST in Round 10 and a Kicker Round 11. Far too early again.

My team was a disaster.

Barber, round 2 Pick wasn't even in the top 20 RB's.

Gonzalez was No1 rated TE..was 5th and quite far behind the leading 4 in terms of points.

cutler threw 26 Interceptions

Sterling Archer

I pretty much agree. I won't be thinking about drafting D/ST and Kickers until I've ran out of skill players that I've targeted, and then I'm happy to just pick up whoever is available for these positions.

I'm pretty sure this was a mistake I made in last years ESPN draft, I can't remember but I think I drafted Kickers/D/ST far too early and I had no depth in other areas.

I did the same. I think it's not as much of a problem in redrafts as it's reasonably easy to predict who will be good from year to year but if you take the giants for example they were a top 5 in 2008 and then horrible in 2009. Just not worth a high pick in dynasty. Especially considering Sjax and Turner are still on the board.

Romo

There's bound to be a birdie joke in there somewhere :D

Sterling Archer

2.07 Goldenacre Giants select NY Jets D/ST

I'm waiting to hear back from Gordon re this pick. I emailed him this morning. We'll continue with the draft but if he wants to alter the pick he can email me whoever he wants instead. (if picks are made before he emails me he can only choose from the remaining players).

Sterling Archer

Took me ages to come up with that trade. Instant rejection :lol:

sorry, ill try and come up with a counter later, just spent the last hour hunting down jump leads and starting my gfs car cause she left her lights on.

:angry:

sorry, ill try and come up with a counter later, just spent the last hour hunting down jump leads and starting my gfs car cause she left her lights on.

:angry:

No worries. It's quite hard to try and work out a fair trade, according to the calculator link you posted the one I offered was pretty close with you just having slightly the better deal, but not much in it.

Sterling Archer

No worries. It's quite hard to try and work out a fair trade, according to the calculator link you posted the one I offered was pretty close with you just having slightly the better deal, but not much in it.

I think the issue with that calculator is it doesn't account for who's left on the board or personal preferences! If you don't like anyone at a pick then you might want to move back and not pick up the full value the calculator thinks you should.

Sterling Archer

Kickback League Trade

Kaunas Buckeyes gave up:

Year 2010 Draft Pick 2.10

Year 2010 Draft Pick 11.07

Year 2010 Draft Pick 21.07

Prestonpans Pirates gave up:

Year 2010 Draft Pick 2.13

Year 2010 Draft Pick 11.04

Year 2010 Draft Pick 21.04

Prestonpans Pirates on the clock

Sterling Archer

I totally gambled on Matthews. I think his floor is pretty high and feel the depth at receiver is greater than running back. Guess I'm going the young team with upside route in this draft. We're really rolling now though.

Sterling Archer

OK, my next pick is in. Who's next?

Corstorphine Cowboys - Chris Gibson. He's not been on the league site in 3 days and I got an out of office from his email, saying he'll be back on monday. We could be in for a wait here guys.

Draft Update:

2.08 Queensferry Dolphins select Michael Turner, RB

2.09 Inversneck 75ers select Steven Jackson, RB

2.10 After trade, Prestonpans Pirates select Miles Austin, WR

2.11 Dunedin Bucs select Desean Jackson, WR

2.12 Corstorphine Steelers select Jamaal Charles, RB

2.13 After trade, Kaunas Buckeyes select Ryan Matthews ®, RB

2.14 Melbourne Pats select Matt Ryan, QB

Sterling Archer

I've put a poll on the league site, if everyone could vote that'd be greatly appreciated. We'll use a simple majority to decide how we proceed.

Big ChipButty

Corstorphine Cowboys - Chris Gibson. He's not been on the league site in 3 days and I got an out of office from his email, saying he'll be back on monday. We could be in for a wait here guys.

Draft Update:

2.08 Queensferry Dolphins select Michael Turner, RB

2.09 Inversneck 75ers select Steven Jackson, RB

2.10 After trade, Prestonpans Pirates select Miles Austin, WR

2.11 Dunedin Bucs select Desean Jackson, WR

2.12 Corstorphine Steelers select Jamaal Charles, RB

2.13 After trade, Kaunas Buckeyes select Ryan Matthews ®, RB

2.14 Melbourne Pats select Matt Ryan, QB

Looks like we don't have a long wait :)

Sterling Archer

All,

Gordon contacted me explaining how he'd drafted the defence in error. I didn't want to revert the draft and have people lose players they have already picked. I felt the fairest solution was to drop the Jets Defence and let Gordon pick from the players remaining, with that in mind:

3.02 Goldenacre Giants select Sidney Rice, WR.

I think there is a danger of spoiling the draft if teams aren't able to make there own picks during the first 10 rounds or so. The attractive thing about this dynasty league is having to do a bit of research into which player you want and what strategy you use when it comes to making your picks.

At the moment we have drafted 2 full rounds in a week, and I think that's a reasonable rate for getting through the most important phase of the draft. The only real down period we have had has been at weekends,which is understandable.

I do think a time limit should be used later on in the draft, but for now I don't think it's a good idea. I think we should give it a couple of more weeks and half a dozen or so more rounds at least.

If people sign in and see they are in the next couple to make their picks and they won't be getting back online for a while then they should try and make use of the pre draft selection mode.

I do think a time limit should be used later on in the draft, but for now I don't think it's a good idea. I think we should give it a couple of more weeks and half a dozen or so more rounds at least.

If people sign in and see they are in the next couple to make their picks and they won't be getting back online for a while then they should try and make use of the pre draft selection mode.

Think that's a pretty good idea once we see how things are in the next few weeks.

Teams starting to take shape now :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

I think there is a danger of spoiling the draft if teams aren't able to make there own picks during the first 10 rounds or so. The attractive thing about this dynasty league is having to do a bit of research into which player you want and what strategy you use when it comes to making your picks.

At the moment we have drafted 2 full rounds in a week, and I think that's a reasonable rate for getting through the most important phase of the draft. The only real down period we have had has been at weekends,which is understandable.

Agree with all of this. It's moving pretty quickly so shouldn't be an issue.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Someone should also tell them Chris Henry died a good few months ago.

There was a team in Canada, Think it was the roughriders? That had a draft pick, couldn't get the player on his mobile or home phone to have a chat before they picked him, They decided to go ahead with the pick anyway, And as it turned out, he had actually died.

Sterling Archer

Someone should also tell them Chris Henry died a good few months ago.

Think older players are in there for historical data, not sure though!

I was hoping to get McCoy. Quite happy with Benson though :thumbsup:

Really wanted him as well. He was top of my draft board if still available.

That's now my top three running backs I coveted going in the last seven picks.

Edited by ForresterJambo

Sterling Archer

Really wanted him as well. He was top of my draft board if still available.

That's now my top three running backs I coveted going in the last seven picks.

who were the others?

who were the others?

Shonn Greene and Knowshon Moreno.

There's one more I'd quite like to have and another I'm undecided about if he is available at my pick. If both them go then I'll wait till later rounds to select my other starting RB.

Who is Jambo Broncos? Someone get him to shift his erse, the suspense is killing me ninja.gif

Edited by ForresterJambo

Shonn Greene and Knowshon Moreno.

There's one more I'd quite like to have and another I'm undecided about if he is available at my pick. If both them go then I'll wait till later rounds to select my other starting RB.

Who is Jambo Broncos? Someone get him to shift his erse, the suspense is killing me ninja.gif

That's the two I was looking to target Moreno and McCoy. I've been logging on multiple times each day checking to see if they were still waiting for me. nearly :angry:

Edited by bringbackjefferies