• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Old Tolbooth

• blondejamtart

• Beats

• davemclaren

North Berwick Jambo

Its been pelting down here in North Berwick again for the last few hours now & its getting pretty deep, if it keeps going through the night & into tomorrow its gonna be fun trying to get anywhere.

Edited by East Fortune Jambo

Just watched "Weatherview" on the BBC, and they're saying very heavy snow right across the central belt for tonight and all day tomorrow!

They did suggest that the snow in the East of both Scotland and England might (just might!) die out towards the end of next week!

Just watched "Weatherview" on the BBC, and they're saying very heavy snow right across the central belt for tonight and all day tomorrow!

They did suggest that the snow in the East of both Scotland and England might (just might!) die out towards the end of next week!

... still sunny in Fauldhouse :whistling:

CavySlaveJambo

Just starting in Gorgie :yucky:

2 hrs constantly heavy in Gorgie, that I know of.

Going to last for Weeks

Edited by helenllama

Everybody loves Baz

Snowed in Gorebridge last night it's only been very fine snow since 4am though.

Edit, just as i speak the flakes start to get bigger dry.gif

Looks like i'll be building a snowman with the wee one this morning :rolleyes:

Snowed in Gorebridge last night it's only been very fine snow since 4am though.

Edit, just as i speak the flakes start to get bigger dry.gif

Looks like i'll be building a snowman with the wee one this morning :rolleyes:

Pretty pish Baz.

Fed up of this.Can't be arsed with another winter like last year :down:

Edit::: Snow almost off now.

Edited by Beats

Everybody loves Baz

Pretty pish Baz.

Starting to grey over again Beats, Forecast says it's gonna belt down again about mid-day ??

Starting to grey over again Beats, Forecast says it's gonna belt down again about mid-day ??

Don't know whether I should attempt Livingston just now.

The main St is ok here I think.But I stay up behind the bowling club and not sure I fancy tackling the hill :unsure:

Anyone know what the M8 is like.

Need to attempt to get from Gorebridge to Livingston to get the bairn?

the roads are not that good in livingston, not sure if the A71 or the M8 is any good

Carl Fredrickson

Beats - main roads appear to be clear but it is getting on them that will prove difficult. If you can get out of your cul-de-sac then you may be ok. I noticed yesterday that the snowploughs were out in force in the afternoon - hopefully be out again today.

Everybody loves Baz

Don't know whether I should attempt Livingston just now.

The main St is ok here I think.But I stay up behind the bowling club and not sure I fancy tackling the hill :unsure:

My mum stays behind Bowling club at Newbyres Crescent and she said her street hasn't been touched, Snow plough just passing my door at Barleyknowe now.

It's Howden she's at.

******* nightmare

i have not long done a short run from dedridge to the centre and had to travel very carefully and that was a short trip, still snowing i cleared the path a while ago, now recovered in snow

CavySlaveJambo

Wee point about severity

My dad had to clear his path this morning, he is in the North East, but his proximity to the High Water Mark means it is normally clear.

Not yesterday and not this Morning.

Doctor FinnBarr

Going to attempt it.

Don't, WL council appear to have done their usual and sent out ploughs that ain't gritting. Roads around Blackburn are mostly untreated and we're only a few miles from their salt mountain!

:unsure:

There's not a lot going to change over the next couple of days. The ploughs and gritters are fighting to keep the main routes open, but as it keeps snowing that's an uphill struggle.

The Mighty Thor

just shy of a foot of snow here in Midlothian. still snowing and a forecast for more heavy snow tonight & tomorrow.

Duvet day tomorrow! thumbsup.gif

Nucky Thompson

My kids have been at their grandparents in Lauder since Friday and we were meant to collect them today but my mother in law has been on the phone to say not to even try and she'll keep them till tomorrow

willie wallace

Any ideas about buses in town.Can't get on Lothian buses website.My son is at work in Morningside and says the buses have packed in there.Don't know if he is at it and looking for a lift though there is not much chance of that either

The Old Tolbooth

Pretty pish Baz.

I had a bit of a job getting up from Gala yesterday mate, but I'd have absolutely no chance today, it's a risky drive for you.

Apparently the last time we had thunder and lightning with snow we were hit by over 2 feet of the stuff, and the forecast is for up to 2 feet this time, I can't remember seeing clouds as heavy as those (last winter apart) for a very long time.

Edited by johnmitchell

CavySlaveJambo

Any ideas about buses in town.Can't get on Lothian buses website.My son is at work in Morningside and says the buses have packed in there.Don't know if he is at it and looking for a lift though there is not much chance of that either

I can't either but they are running

On the other hand I am having a great time watching cars come out of the top of Robertson Ave, they are really struggling

Carl Fredrickson

Midlothian Council have a tractor going round in front of the snowplough - why? :unsure: It cant be to make tracks as surely the plough will ensure the truck has a clear bit of road

maroonlegions

It's the same deal, "chilly air forced southward" because of a distortion in the normal flow of the Jet stream. Thing is, that happened over North America in June, it's happening over Europe in winter. The Gulf Stream has weakened significantly over the past 10 years, and we are now seeing the consequences.

Here's an article with a video explaining what happened in India, Russia and China this year as a result of a similar strange break down/up of the Jet Stream (ignore the 'global warming' nonsense). :D

Russian Drought, Pakistan Floods, Chinese Landslides All Linked To Bizarre Jet Stream Change;

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/213344-Russian-Drought-Pakistan-Floods-Chinese-Landslides-All-Linked-To-Bizarre-Jet-Stream-Change

Freak Current Takes Gulf Stream to Greenland[

bestproduct200912302191.png

quote;

"An unprecedented extreme in the northern hemisphere atmospheric circulation has driven a strong direct connecting current between the Gulf Stream and the West Greenland current. The unprecedented negativity of the "Arctic Oscillation" and the strong connection of the Gulf Stream with the Greenland current are exceptional events. More exceptional weather events are predicted with anthropogenic climate change, but this could be a natural variation of weather and currents".

link; http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/1/6/822520/-Freak-Current-Takes-Gulf-Stream-to-Greenland

Here is more on the dynamics and reality's of the osculations of this very important system;

link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Edited by maroonlegions

North Berwick Jambo

Its now centimetre wide hailstones in north berwick, everytime it looks like its going to clear for a short time another huge dark cloud comes in off the north sea & it starts all over again! I have been out in the cab since 10am & i dont finish till 11pm, the main roads seem fine but as soon as i have to use the back roads its almost impossible at times & i have been stuck twice, god knows what its going to be like when the sun sets, the temperature plummets & the surface water freezes again!

Looks like tomorrow morning's journey into work will be "interesting" to put it mildly! :rolleyes:

I'm dreading the journey tomorrow.

Getting the car out of the car park, never mind Craigmount, could be awkward. Seriously tempted to phone the work and ask if I can work from home, but may have to go in to see if I can do that on Tuesday.

Leaving the car and taking the bus is something I've done a bit recently, but the 10 minute walk to the bus stop will be more like 25 mins with the underfoot conditions being awkward. It was about 10 inches deep when I got the bus to Tesco for messages - the bus home nearly crashed twice with the driver not taking it carefully!

From met office -Warning VALID:: Lothian & Borders:

E Lothian

Edinburgh

Midlothian

W Lothian

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1800 Sun 28 0600 Mon 29

Snow showers will continue through the evening and night giving further falls of 10 to 20cm. Clear spells in between the showers will lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1554 Sun 28 Nov

From met office -Warning VALID:: Lothian & Borders:

E Lothian

Edinburgh

Midlothian

W Lothian

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1800 Sun 28 0600 Mon 29

Snow showers will continue through the evening and night giving further falls of 10 to 20cm. Clear spells in between the showers will lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1554 Sun 28 Nov

Oh goody......:unsure: