How do you drink port?

Craigieboy

Go a nice bottle of port.

Do you just have it straight?

yes. in smaller measure than wine and after a nice cheese board. you can also buy a clay potted stilton and pour some of it into that over a few days so you have a port infused stilton. superb.

yes. in smaller measure than wine and after a nice cheese board. you can also buy a clay potted stilton and pour some of it into that over a few days so you have a port infused stilton. superb.

Sounds super.

Can you mix port with anything?

You can always put the bottle to your lips and see how much of it you can hammer down before you fall down, be sick, pee your pants and tell everyone how much u love them haha. now theres an idea.

Sounds super.

Can you mix port with anything?

lemonade i think but may be wrong or if you are a scaff like charlotte church chuck a shot of it in a bottle of blue wkd = a cheeky vimto.

Edited by conn artist

lemonade i think but may be wrong or if you are a scaff like charlotte church chuck a shot of it in a bottle of blue wkd = a cheeky vimto.

Good grief, what a waste of good port. A nice vintage port, decanted the night before, then slowly consumed during the festivities takes the pain out of Xmas day.

If you must, what you could try is white port, very chilled with soda water, makes a nice long cool summer drink.

Good grief, what a waste of good port. A nice vintage port, decanted the night before, then slowly consumed during the festivities takes the pain out of Xmas day.

If you must, what you could try is white port, very chilled with soda water, makes a nice long cool summer drink.

i dont do that myself i am just aware that others do.

Gouge out a big bit of stilton from the middle of a round. Pour port in. Leave it for a day then come back to creamy port flavoured stilton to spread on crusty bread.

Smashin'.

i remember a few boxing days ago, my dad and uncle tanning a bottle and 1/2 port after dinner.

needless to say they were fecked. I remember my uncle spewing up and being put to bed!

You'd drink paint stripper straight mate :D

Only if it's chilled :stuart:

Sloe gin is a lovely drink as well.Straight in the winter or with Tonic or Lemonade in the summer and i'm slavering at the mouth thinking about all this drink!!!!!

Boaby Prentice

Port is wonderfull, but must be drunk straight.

White port should be served chilled (2 days in the fridge).

Ruby port should be given away!!

I had a bottle of port a few months back with 3 bottles of WKD. Knocked me bammy :10900:

Especially after half a dozen Stellas.

I had a bottle of port a few months back with 3 bottles of WKD. Knocked me bammy :10900:

Especially after half a dozen Stellas.

and a bottle of buckie!:10900:

You can always put the bottle to your lips and see how much of it you can hammer down before you fall down, be sick, pee your pants and tell everyone how much u love them haha. now theres an idea.

Pat Stanton? Is that you? How's the taxi business?

if you don't know how to drink port... how do you know it's a nice bottle?

:curtain:

Is this a wind up?

There is no other way to drink it. Fact. End of.

Colonel Kurtz

Port should be decanted and only passed around the table one way,the left or port side

If somebody is hogging the decanter he should be asked if he knows the bishop of Norwich

Edited by Colonel Kurtz

Port should be decanted and only passed around the table one way,the left or port side

If somebody is hogging the decanter he should be asked if he knows the bishop of Norwich

"he?s an awfully nice fellow, but he never remembers to pass the Port!"

Colonel, you are a stickler.:toff:

Think somebody was talking about a port and lemon. It's a 1940's cockney drink. Always drink it straight, beautiful drink but restrict yourself to 2 or 3 glasses or your hangover the next morning will be hellish(been there).

As something different to the stilton thing, split a honeydew melon in half, take the seeds out and fill the hole with port and leave for as long as you can in the fridge. FAB

heartgarfunkel

Some sage advice on this thread - only take it neat, always pass to the left, but a port and dark rum destroys a hangover in an instant.

Cheeky Vimtos are a cracking way to get rid of some cheap port.

For the expensive stuff, always consume with a nice cheese board.

There is nothing better at the end of an especially good supper, getting a bottle of good port and a cheese board on the table.

Colonel Kurtz

Can I suggest a drink called a depth charge

Buy a pint of guinness

take 2 mouthfuls out of pint

Buy a port,in an old fashioned nip glas

Put on head of guiness..it will slowly sink to the bottom ..like a depth charge ..and disperse

Be careful when getting out of seat.

It also works with Youngs winter warmer ,i would suggest the Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street

Can I suggest a drink called a depth charge

Buy a pint of guinness

take 2 mouthfuls out of pint

Buy a port,in an old fashioned nip glas

Put on head of guiness..it will slowly sink to the bottom ..like a depth charge ..and disperse

Be careful when getting out of seat.

It also works with Youngs winter warmer ,i would suggest the Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street

A waste of guinness

and port.

For drinking port it's considered rather coarse to use a pint glass - a halfer should suffice.

Edited by Boof

Out on a stag day with an English groom-to-be the day Portugal knocked England out of whatever championship it was...Euro 2008 maybe?

Cue many rounds of port being sunk...

• 10 years later...
idontDrinkPort

First time port drinker and can say I’ve always heard good things but doesn’t do it for me. Got it as a present and was last resort at party so had to drink nothing to mix so drank it straight. Wasn’t impressed was rank. Never again. 

Walter Payton

:levein_interesting: First post, revives a thread that had been dead for over 11 years and feels so strongly about the subject they pick a username saying they don't like it! Are we accepting any bets on a 2nd post being a bot related link to a wine retailer or some other alcohol?

14 hours ago, idontDrinkPort said:

First time port drinker and can say I’ve always heard good things but doesn’t do it for me. Got it as a present and was last resort at party so had to drink nothing to mix so drank it straight. Wasn’t impressed was rank. Never again. 

Probably a bottle of cheap dishwater