Your First Legal Beer

cams

My dad took me up to our golf club ( Greenburn, Fauldhouse) mixed my pints,

. Time to leave, and i thought we were locked in but i was trying to open the door in the wrong direction. Got down the road then spewed all over the toilet.

Say What Again

Can't actually remember my first legal beer.

I remember my first underage beer, a pint of Tartan Special in the Jenny Has, having just turned 17.

Can't actually remember my first legal beer.

I remember my first underage beer, a pint of Tartan Special in the Jenny Has, having just turned 17.

Mines was cans of special brew and Meridown, had no idea how much i could drink or what nick i would be in.

Fell asleep outside Whitburn Centre, then got carried down the road and propped against the front door.

think i was about 15

My first legal beer was in The Port O'Leith Motor Boat Club with my old man on the night of my 18th birthday.

I was already a regular in Smithies Cannonmills by then though... :stuart:

My mate had the worst fake ID ever and it worked every time we used it, was quality. Only used it in a total shady corner shop though. I dont drink anything other than vodka or cider, usually Strongbow. When on holiday in the summer id buy Istanblue, Turkish vodka. Not nice but I like the vodka you get at home. Think my first drink was a cider with friends in the park :lol:. We were young and it was a summer night, chavish behaviour but its good memories. The posh ones in our group would get MD 20/20, the smell was so bad. Anyone here drink MD? I mind when I drank it using a shot glass, the only way I could get it down my throat. My mate done the same in about 15 minutes and heaved all over some lassys living room wall. Such good times :43::smiley2: IIRC the first legal drink I purchased was a crate of Strongbow.

The Old Tolbooth

I remember mine well, I used to drink in the Balmoral Bar in Galashiels (now Nikkis Bar) when I was 16 ish, and because it was a pub in the middle of a housing estate away from all the town centre boozers no one bothered about my age.

The new owner (Nikki) bought the pub 6 months before I turned 18 and gutted the place, but I continued drinking there. Come Dec 28th 1988, I went in there before hitting the town and was already half mongoled, and Nikki asked what I was celebrating, when I told her it was my 18th she thought I was kidding her on at first! She wasn't best pleased when she realised she had been serving an under ager for 6 months without any suspicion! I'll never forget the look on her face, and to make matters worse I went to school with her son was was exactly 1 week older than I am :D

I still sometimes pop in for a pint when I'm down in Gala, nice wee boozer with friendly folk.

Bloody hell mate, you've got some memory!!! :10900:

its the only lager it sold at the time, before it went all continental and got in fosters then castlemaine xxxx.

Mine was before the Dundee Utd game last season (last game of the season) on my birthday. Pint of Tennents in Luckies, then went and got absolutely smashed at my 18th later that night.

All floppy, almost down to the eyebrows - felling really brave on a Monday night out with some big boys on their 250/400's, while I'm on my Gilera 50 enduro - chanced it, and got away with buying my first pint, was about 16, iirc - that bird took a real chance, as I must of looked about 12!!!

(You can see from my avatar, I don't look too bad for 37.)

Thanks, Hen.:stuart:

The Old Tolbooth
its the only lager it sold at the time, before it went all continental and got in fosters then castlemaine xxxx.

Next you'll be telling me you drank black 'n' tan :D

The Old Tolbooth
John, Black and tan, was that not black velvet, guinness and cider?

I'm not sure what was in it Mac, but I know my dad used to drink it, he also used to drink a half and half (whetever the feck that was) :stuart:

John, I think a "Half and half", was a half pint, with an accompanying nip, yes, it defies logic, but that's what I remember.

Now, thinking about it, a black and tan had special in it, I'm sure.

16 I think in Spain with my parents.

That was my first proper pint I think. Had the odd bottle in the house, but this was a proper pint of cold Amstel :)

John, I think a "Half and half", was a half pint, with an accompanying nip, yes, it defies logic, but that's what I remember.

Now, thinking about it, a black and tan had special in it, I'm sure.

A black n' Tan was any pale ale topped up with a bottle of sweetheart stout, not a drink you see often these days, although when i was home about a month ago, while in apub in dundee with my borother i saw a bottle on the bar and made the comment about black n' tans, they were lovely:2thumbsup:

and yes a half n' half was a half pint with a nip, my grandads favourite tipple

back to the topic my first legal drink was in the Burnt post dec 1988 a pint of skol served in a dimpled pint pot...the pot was still hot from being washed!

my first underage pint was in the doctors 2 years earlier(i had excellent ID, well i though it was looking back it was a pile of pish but things were much easier back in the 80's)

Bloody hell mate, you've got some memory!!! :10900:

Skol was,..is,..and always will be P!SH! No powers of recollection required there..id rather not drink,than drink Skol, and thats saying something.

One thing SADDER than Skol were the losers that would bring a case of the

odious CR@P to a house party, then theyd drink everybody elses quality bevvy, stagger out the door long before the night was over, and..hey

presto..all thats left to drink is SKOL!

Pint of 80/ at some long defunct curry house in broxburn of all places.

and ive been trying over 20 years now to emulate the sweet intoxication

of that first pint.

I'm pretty sure my 1st legal pint was in the Haymarket Bar.

1st underage pint in a pub was again a pint of skol in the Prom bar in Newhaven (It was p1sh). prob about 15 at the time.

Not quite reached the stage of a legal pint yet unfortunately.

First drink must have been about 2 years ago, can't quite remember if I'm honest.

First legal pint was at The Tickled Trout. Went for lunch with my old man on my 18th.

First underage pint in a pub (carry-outs from offies don't count) was Filthy McNasty's, aged 16/17. I remember I had been working in Tesco. I think it was a 10 hour shift or something equally horrible. Met mates up town, somehow got past the bouncers without ID and got served. I took my first sip and then acted as if it was the most natural thing in the world to me.

Must've stuck out like a sore thumb, thinking back. What with my white school shirt on with the pocket on the breast and black school shoes etc. **** knows how I got served.

Sexton Hardcastle
I remember mine well, I used to drink in the Balmoral Bar in Galashiels (now Nikkis Bar) when I was 16 ish, and because it was a pub in the middle of a housing estate away from all the town centre boozers no one bothered about my age.

The new owner (Nikki) bought the pub 6 months before I turned 18 and gutted the place, but I continued drinking there. Come Dec 28th 1988, I went in there before hitting the town and was already half mongoled, and Nikki asked what I was celebrating, when I told her it was my 18th she thought I was kidding her on at first! She wasn't best pleased when she realised she had been serving an under ager for 6 months without any suspicion! I'll never forget the look on her face, and to make matters worse I went to school with her son was was exactly 1 week older than I am :D

I still sometimes pop in for a pint when I'm down in Gala, nice wee boozer with friendly folk.

They put on a cracking spread after the football. The team they sponser or whatever is in our league. Shame we only play them once away per season.

The Old Tolbooth
A black n' Tan was any pale ale topped up with a bottle of sweetheart stout, not a drink you see often these days, although when i was home about a month ago, while in apub in dundee with my borother i saw a bottle on the bar and made the comment about black n' tans, they were lovely:2thumbsup:

and yes a half n' half was a half pint with a nip, my grandads favourite tipple

Ahhh, the memories!

I'll never understand why people drink Sweetheart Stout, vile stuff. I was getting mixed up between the two drinksm there.

I cant believe I used to drink lager and lime too :boak:

The Old Tolbooth
They put on a cracking spread after the football. The team they sponser or whatever is in our league. Shame we only play them once away per season.

Yeah they treat their locals and guests very well mate, they do the same for visiting dominoes and darts teams too and Nikki cooks it all herself. Quiz night on Thursday around 10pm is always good for a laugh and I won a pickled egg last time :D

First legal pint was a pint of Theakston's Best in the Broughton Street Mathers. A great pub back then.

First pint was in a dive called Toddy's in Fountainbridge when I was 14. Pint of Castlemaine IIRC.

Ahhh, the memories!

I'll never understand why people drink Sweetheart Stout, vile stuff. I was getting mixed up between the two drinksm there.

I cant believe I used to drink lager and lime too :boak:

god you weren't alone there, only topped for my foundness for pink panthers at 2 in the morning..aaahh the heady days before alcopops came along and you had to make your own sweetie flavoured tipple!

I stand to be corrected but the whisky half was a half gill measure i.e. a double.Most pubs/clubs then sold 1/4 gills (35ml).as the standard measure.1/5th was typical in England and where the landlord was a tight Bassa.It seems to me that the 1/5th(25ml) has become more common in order to maximise profits.

First legal drink was a pint of light (17p)in Tranent Miners Welfare Club where I became a full member on my 18th.(Also got my Tranent Labour Club membership and CIU card that week)

First under age pint bought in the Oak Corstorphine aged 15 McEwans Export

First Legal pint would more than likely be the same on both counts.

I'd just turned 18 & was going to Ireland with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, so I took my dad for a pint at the pub in Waverley (now Coopers) before I got my train to Preston, got id'd, showed the bloke my army id, picture, hologram, d.o.b. bloke said naw!

Remember the ultimate ****er$ tipple the lager tops? WTF was all that about?

A mate of mine still drinks lager tops. Back in the 80s think it was the drink for "footballers".

Unfortunately one of my older brothers decided to get married on my 18th birthday so it kind of half fecked my coming of age. So I suppose my 1st legal drink would have been enjoyed at the reception in 'The Store rooms' in Musselburgh :th_o:

I didn't start drinking till I was about 17 & a 1/2 anyway as I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about with the likes of McEwans IPA etc ( having taken a fly mouthful one new year )

First legal pint was in the old raeburn bar on the corner opposite the shambles and cost me 98p.

First illeagal pint was from the cornerstone in broughton.

First legal pint for me was the Dundee Arms "Vietnam" my Grandad lived in Murdoch Terr and thought he would treat me !!!!

Had been drinking for a few years before that ( Mainly the Willie Muir !!!)

first under age pint would have been aged 15 in some random pub in Bathgate before going to Room at the Top.

Would imagine my first legal pint would have been in the Oatridge in Uphall.

First legal pint was in The Guildford Arms whilst on my lunch hour with a mate from the office.

First illegal pint I think was when I was 15 in The Rainbow.

My first illegal pint was in the Justinlees at Eskbank, cost about 17p for a pint of heavy IIRC. I must have been 15.

First legal one was on the night of my 18th birthday in The Jenny Lasswade. I had at least 6 that night. :th_o:

Commander Harris

my first legal pint would have been a bottle of McEwan's 90/- in the Alehouse at the Stirling Uni Union on the evening of my 18th Birthday.

My first illegal pint was in Scruffy Murphys at the west end. I can't remember where my first legal one was, which is pretty bad because it was only a few years back...

First legal pint a week or 2 after my 18th in the Murrayfield Bar, just after it was done up about 8 years ago.

The Terrace Inn, before the 2-2 draw at Easter Rd Sunday 1st of October 1995.

"It's not over until the fat striker scores!"

First legal pint was Milne's Bar on my birthday. I invited all my mates to be there at 11 a.m. and I'd buy.

There were 14 of the b*******s.

Youngers Tartan Special, I suspect.

Manager was less than chuffed to hear it was my 18th, as we'd been drinking there for a couple of years.

Roy was his name - anyone remember him ? We're talking 1971.

A few months later, we were barred for singing a ditty about a "baldy heided barman".

We were sooo crazy back then ...

First illegal pint bought on licenced premises was when I was 16 - we went to the Grosvner on Schandwick Place.

Got to know the door and bar staff and went there about every weekend for a year!

Went back there for my first legal pint before hitting town on my 18th Birthday.

First illegal pint was in The Green Tree 1992 (McEwans Lager), I had not long turned 15:10900:

17 years later and I am still drinking in there.

I've no idea when my 1st legal pint was. I was drinking regularly in the pubs from 16. I've never looked back!

Archived