Worst 30 of the Romanov era

The Merse

I concur.

He might not have been the most gifted footballer, but he gave nigh-on 10 years of service and tried 100% every match.

Hmmm.... I have given Hearts more than 10 years and, if selected (becoming a possibility as the days pass) I would certainly "give" 100% to the HMFC cause (as would the non hobo's on this board) but it still wouldn't make me any good.

Never a fan of RN either but it shows how bad we are when I concede that he would improve this lot although I am quite happy with our young full backs as I think they are very promising.

On the list compiled I would point out that Pinalla was an absolute star in Championship Manager 2007.

Aye whatever Shaun - take a look at the players in the OP again and tell me if, Obua apart, there is a combined number of appearances in total to even complete more than a couple of games if you cobbled them into a starting eleven(s) nevermind a full SPL season...... when we finished 8th Neilson played every week and was one of the worst performers week after week, or did i just imagine those twice weekly 'Neilson' threads that hundreds posted on, possibly only Goncalves was worse that season of the players who played every week .... but hey if it's all the fault of the guys who rarely/never played then full steam ahead. :)

When we finished 8th, Charlie, the entire club was being mismanaged from top to bottom. Such was the total vacuum of leadership, hardly anyone played well or consistently. I remember having a debate with someone on here in Summer 2008 when I insisted that no player could possibly be judged given the shambles we'd been in, and everyone deserved a clean slate. Sure enough, under a manager (which you spent ages denying we even needed), a whole host of players improved. Among them, Robbie - who has now played 13 times this season for a team sitting 3rd in the Championship.

So to recap: according to you, someone who's fitted in seamlessly to a club chasing promotion to the Premier League was one of the worst 30 individuals of the last five years and wasn't a "proper footballer" (try telling that to Nigel Pearson and seeing his reaction); meanwhile, you have "no meaningful opinion" on Roman Romanov, and in his case, cannot bring yourself to say anything remotely like the same stuff you've spouted about all manner of people who haven't deserved it. Charlie, I can only draw one possible conclusion. You're at it, mate.

Marooned In Oz
When we finished 8th, Charlie, the entire club was being mismanaged from top to bottom. Such was the total vacuum of leadership, hardly anyone played well or consistently. I remember having a debate with someone on here in Summer 2008 when I insisted that no player could possibly be judged given the shambles we'd been in, and everyone deserved a clean slate. Sure enough, under a manager (which you spent ages denying we even needed), a whole host of players improved. Among them, Robbie - who has now played 13 times this season for a team sitting 3rd in the Championship.

So to recap: according to you, someone who's fitted in seamlessly to a club chasing promotion to the Premier League was one of the worst 30 individuals of the last five years and wasn't a "proper footballer" (try telling that to Nigel Pearson and seeing his reaction); meanwhile, you have "no meaningful opinion" on Roman Romanov, and in his case, cannot bring yourself to say anything remotely like the same stuff you've spouted about all manner of people who haven't deserved it. Charlie, I can only draw one possible conclusion. You're at it, mate.

Great post.

He's either at it, or he's lost his mind.

Believe it or not but one of these players on the list is now a full international and will be playing at the World Cup next year!

Believe it or not but one of these players on the list is now a full international and will be playing at the World Cup next year!

Who?!

Petras!

TBF he came with a good pedigree and was a regular international back then.

Does he still get his game?

TBF he came with a good pedigree and was a regular international back then.

Does he still get his game?

I noticed that he started Slovakia's final group match to qualify for the World Cup.

I am guessing that on that basis - he will be in their squad for next year.

He currently plays with Cesena in Italy. They are doing quite well and he gets his game for them.

Players:

Kurskis - Murder

Costa - Pretty bad, but hardly given a great deal of time

Petras - Is he not doing ok for himself now (international too?)

Straceny - See above

Barasa - Was pretty bad, but put in one or two good perfomances

Ivaskevicius - Pretty bad, agreed

Ksanavicius - Same as above

Pilibaitis - Not good

Basso - Had a couple of great games, but always looked dodgy

Obua - Clearly Csabas fault, but so lacklustre it hurts

Klimek - Never did anything, but didn't get much of a look in

Beniusis - As above

Makela - Seems to score anywhere but here...was very poor

Beslija - Just an odd signing from start to finish

M'Bohli - Didn't play, no idea

Pinilla - Such expectations...such a waster

Screpis - I thought he generally did OK, but wasn't liked

Witteween - Turning out to be a worse version of Makela

Bouzid - Slow as a week in jail, and horrible positioning

Tullberg - Kind of Makela and Witteveen all in one

Managers/Sporting Directors/Hangers on

Koslovski

Malofeev

Pedro Lopez

Ivanauskas

Cervenkov

Frail

Rix

Duffy

Roman Romanov

Korobochka

Well worth the debt being racked up imo.

Thats my take on the players

I noticed that he started Slovakia's final group match to qualify for the World Cup.

I am guessing that on that basis - he will be in their squad for next year.

He currently plays with Cesena in Italy. They are doing quite well and he gets his game for them.

Fair play, will be interesting to see if he gets a game in the WC.

It was never going to work out for him at Hearts after the circumstances surrounding his debut.

I'll never forget the moment Rixxy caved in to the crowd chanting for Robbie to come on!!

boabyarsebiscuit
Players:

Kurskis

Costa

Petras

Straceny

Barasa

Ivaskevicius

Ksanavicius

Pilibaitis

Basso

Obua

Klimek

Beniusis

Makela

Beslija

M'Bohli

Pinilla

Screpis

Witteween

Bouzid

Tullberg

Koslovski

Malofeev

Pedro Lopez

Ivanauskas

Cervenkov

Frail

Rix

Duffy

Roman Romanov

Korobochka

Players in bold would have done a job for us given a chance, in my opinion. In fact Ludo Straceny (who I didn't highlight) would probably even now be our best attacker if he was here. Well, unless Csaba had actually taken Joao Moreira in August, he would probably have been our best attacker this season. Pity Csaba's such a *********. As is Romanov, before anyone accuses me of a "hate crime" (lol)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

:2thumbsup:

Imagine if Gordon Brown decides that, while he actually likes the power that comes with being Prime Minister, he doesn't like all the flak that comes with it. He's actually a bit of a pussy and doesn't deal too well with criticism at all. So he decides he's going to let his wee boy live in No.10 as PM instead. The wee boy's, well, just a wee boy, so he doesn't have much of a clue. So GB needs to install somebody else to make some of the decisions. He turns to Katie Price - she will be in charge of the day-to-day running of No.10 and the country. Inside No.10 is the copy boy - he's been there for ten years, everybody knows he's a bit crap and they could get a better copy boy very easily, but he's incredibly loyal and his presence, in an unexplainable way, kind of holds the place together.

Charlie would blame the copy boy.

Charlie-Brown

Watching Robbie Neilson play was often like watching endless repeats of a bad tv show week after week - other tv programmes might have been worse but at least they weren't shown as frequently .... thankfully that programme isn't being shown anymore in this region.

Players:

Kurskis 3 Games Was Pretty Bad In All FAIR

Costa 1 Game Not Given A Chance UNFAIR

Petras 5 Games Not Really Given Much Of A Chance After The Tannadice Debacle UNFAIR

Straceny ? As Petras UNFAIR

Barasa 14 Games Ok At Times Seen Better FAIR

Ivaskevicius 15 Games P!sh FAIR

Ksanavicius 31 Games P!sh FAIR

Pilibaitis 5 Games P!sh FAIR

Basso 7 Games Aside From One Or Two Hairy Moments Wasn't The Worst I've Seen UNFAIR

Obua 37 Games SHEET! FAIR

Klimek 2 Games No Time UNFAIR

Beniusis 8 Games Confidence Extremely Low After Debut, Never Recovered UNFAIR

Makela 20 Games Garbage FAIR

Beslija 9 Games Made Of Glass FAIR

M'Bohli 0 Games EXTREMELY UNFAIR How Can Somebody Judge A Player Thats Never Played

Pinilla 5 Games Bit Of A Wage Thief FAIR

Screpis 5 Games No Time UNFAIR

Witteween 8 Games P!sh FAIR

Bouzid 10 Games Not Been Bad A Bit Shaky UNFAIR

Tullberg 7 Games Always Injured UNFAIR

My Opinion, Some Players Didn't Play Well For Their Own Reasons Others Just Had No Ability

Perth to Paisley

I saw Martin Petras play sweeper for Lecce in Serie B after he left us - stood out like a sore thumb as someone who had played at a much higher level....... and I don't mean the SPL!!

Don't think we saw him anywhere near his best - one of the victims of the madness in that January

Pretty classy actually

I saw Martin Petras play sweeper for Lecce in Serie B after he left us - stood out like a sore thumb as someone who had played at a much higher level....... and I don't mean the SPL!!

Don't think we saw him anywhere near his best - one of the victims of the madness in that January

Pretty classy actually

Think he played in front of the back four at Livvy one time and was excellent. I've heard his name a few times since he left and he was definitely one we let slip away far too easily.

Watching Robbie Neilson play was often like watching endless repeats of a bad tv show week after week - other tv programmes might have been worse but at least they weren't shown as frequently .... thankfully that programme isn't being shown anymore in this region.

Yes. Thankfully, we're 9th in the league, and aren't being subjected to the programme in which we finished 3rd any more... :stuart:

Neilson came back into the team right at the start of our tide-turning run of five straight wins around this time last year. It's very obvious he had more than something to do with it. Now, we really have no leaders on the park at all. Another poster, with whom I completely disagree on Craig Levein and is a bit of a whizz with finances, was Neilson's biggest fan on here, and never in the least bit convinced by Csaba Laszlo. On both fronts, he's being completely vindicated this season. You, on the other hand, are not.

Charlie-Brown
Yes. Thankfully, we're 9th in the league, and aren't being subjected to the programme in which we finished 3rd any more... :stuart:

Neilson came back into the team right at the start of our tide-turning run of five straight wins around this time last year. It's very obvious he had more than something to do with it. Now, we really have no leaders on the park at all. Another poster, with whom I completely disagree on Craig Levein and is a bit of a whizz with finances, was Neilson's biggest fan on here, and never in the least bit convinced by Csaba Laszlo. On both fronts, he's being completely vindicated this season. You, on the other hand, are not.

Last season was probably 1 of Neilson's 2 better seasons in the whole time he was here but that still didn't prevent him having a few 'special' performances and in other seasons he was downright crap - that was why there as so many posts/threads about him on an almost weekly basis - you are correct in that we miss his experience but we do not miss him and the 2 Thomson's are better players at 18 & 21 than he ever was imo.

I think that Bouzid will come good.

I think that Neilson was an awful player but does not fit in with this thread. What I find amusing is that following the long throw, "the" tackle (singular) and his Scottishness are now not his only assets, he is now a "character". :rofl:

I think that Bouzid will come good.

I think that Neilson was an awful player but does not fit in with this thread. What I find amusing is that following the long throw, "the" tackle (singular) and his Scottishness are now not his only assets, he is now a "character". :rofl:

But that's only because the current players at the club are so anonymous. I know you've written before that you don't need to "identify" with any Hearts player; but many, many fans feel differently. Neilson was pretty much our best bet in that regard when he was here - but besides, I didn't identify with him because he was a character. I identified with him because he's one of life's over-achievers. And I think over-achievement should be celebrated, not scorned.

But that's only because the current players at the club are so anonymous. I know you've written before that you don't need to "identify" with any Hearts player; but many, many fans feel differently. Neilson was pretty much our best bet in that regard when he was here - but besides, I didn't identify with him because he was a character. I identified him because he's one of life's over-achievers. And I think over-achievement should be celebrated, not scorned.

Isn't it a sad indictment though?

I would rather have an extremely talented Wladislaw Wzojeich in our team that had never heard of Hearts or "seen us in marone" than a player who is talentless but speaks with a similar accent to me. Not the same you notice, he is a weegie, but similar.

Football is all about talent Shaun.

I would rather have an extremely talented Wladislaw Wzojeich in our team that had never heard of Hearts or "seen us in marone" than a player who is talentless but speaks with a similar accent to me. Not the same you notice, he is a weegie, but similar.

Not true. Football is all about talent and application. Hard work will always beat skill if skill doesn't work hard. So we have Larry Kingston, a talented waster; and we had Robbie Neilson, an extremely hard working player with very limited ability.

Neilson's now at a club chasing promotion to the Premier League. And Kingston is sitting on his arse, wasting his talent. Not much doubt which personality type almost any manager would rather have in their team.

Players:

Kurskis

Costa

Petras

Straceny

Barasa

Ivaskevicius

Ksanavicius

Pilibaitis

Basso

Obua

Klimek

Beniusis

Makela

Beslija

M'Bohli

Pinilla

Screpis

Witteween

Bouzid

Tullberg

Koslovski

Malofeev

Pedro Lopez

Ivanauskas

Cervenkov

Frail

Rix

Duffy

Roman Romanov

Korobochka

I haven't read the thread (apart from this) but from your list, I would say that Petras was a quality player who didn't get a chance, and watching his stunning performance over Wales in a 5-1 win at the Millenium Stadium made me think we missed out on a great player (even though we had just signed him). To me, he had everything in hs locker.

Tiago Costa too played maybe one game, and looked a fine player when we beat ICT on Aug 26th 2006 (as of course, did Pinilla). I don't know what happened next.

Fernando Screpis? Could've been a Gorgie Superstar if Romanov didn't act like a knob. This guy could've been amazing. He didn't get a game.

A bad, bad list. But not all bad.

Neilson was talented at defending - it was just going forward that he was dreadful.

How many goals have we lost because Thomson is not good enough defensively and is allowing players to ghost in behind him? One thing Robbie did well was cover that area.

Last season was probably 1 of Neilson's 2 better seasons in the whole time he was here but that still didn't prevent him having a few 'special' performances and in other seasons he was downright crap - that was why there as so many posts/threads about him on an almost weekly basis - you are correct in that we miss his experience but we do not miss him and the 2 Thomson's are better players at 18 & 21 than he ever was imo.

Not defensively they aren't and the first role of a defender is to defend.

And, yes, I know Robbie got torn apart by that Athens winger but on a week to week basis in the SPL he was solid.

The 2 Thomson's are both more skilful but, like Lee Wallace has tried to do, they will have to learn the art of defending.

I haven't read the thread (apart from this) but from your list, I would say that Petras was a quality player who didn't get a chance, and watching his stunning performance over Wales in a 5-1 win at the Millenium Stadium made me think we missed out on a great player (even though we had just signed him). To me, he had everything in hs locker.

Tiago Costa too played maybe one game, and looked a fine player when we beat ICT on Aug 26th 2006 (as of course, did Pinilla). I don't know what happened next.

Fernando Screpis? Could've been a Gorgie Superstar if Romanov didn't act like a knob. This guy could've been amazing. He didn't get a game.

A bad, bad list. But not all bad.

TBH the list wasn't just about quality of player it was just about how their time here went.

I don't think you can deny Costa's time here was pointless, Petras had a disaster due to him being thrown to the lions at Tannadice and Screpis - well the whole situation with him left a bad taste in the mouth.

Not true. Football is all about talent and application. Hard work will always beat skill if skill doesn't work hard. So we have Larry Kingston, a talented waster; and we had Robbie Neilson, an extremely hard working player with very limited ability.

Neilson's now at a club chasing promotion to the Premier League. And Kingston is sitting on his arse, wasting his talent. Not much doubt which personality type almost any manager would rather have in their team.

Not wishing to sound like a bad circus act, but no, what you say above is "not true".

Application is good, application helps but football is not about application as if that were the case I would have played professional football as I would have given anything to play. However, I was rubbish.

winston churchill

the likes of

suso

number 15

big bad bouzid

the balogh

should pay to watch a team like hearts.

never mind be paid by hearts.

The Verminator
Players:

Kurskis

Costa

Petras

Straceny

Barasa

Ivaskevicius

Ksanavicius

Pilibaitis

Basso

Obua

Klimek

Beniusis

Makela

Beslija

M'Bohli

Pinilla

Screpis

Witteween

Bouzid

Tullberg

Koslovski

Malofeev

Pedro Lopez

Ivanauskas

Cervenkov

Frail

Rix

Duffy

Roman Romanov

Korobochka

Some cracking Scrabble scores in there tho

TBH the list wasn't just about quality of player it was just about how their time here went.

I don't think you can deny Costa's time here was pointless, Petras had a disaster due to him being thrown to the lions at Tannadice and Screpis - well the whole situation with him left a bad taste in the mouth.

Agree. Their time was a waste, as was their talents.

The Screpis thing was a real shame. What a player he looked.

Agree. Their time was a waste, as was their talents.

The Screpis thing was a real shame. What a player he looked.

A bit of an exaggeration there BB. Screpis didn't really play enough for anyone to form a solid opinion, but from what I saw he looked average at best.

Here's 2 more pieces of junk:

Miko

Chesny.

Both pish. Glad they've gone. Sad they were ever here.

And yet both would probably improve our team right now

me >>>>> :hang:

Marius kizys anyone?

His performance at Parkhead the day the pope died gets him off the list - what a game he had that day!

I find your attempt to bracket Neilson with some of the fly by night charlatans in the original list absolutely disgusting. Again that is just my opinion.

i agree

rudi must stay
Players:

Kurskis - a total flop, have to agree there

Costa - was MOTM then never played again..

Petras - bit unfair having him on this he's a good player that played a part that year

Straceny - can't argue

Barasa - hard as nails, the sort of player we could do with now IMO

Ivaskevicius - dire

Ksanavicius - dire

Pilibaitis - a wasted signing

Basso - dodgy. Not sure he's any worse than what we've got now though

Obua - harsh

Klimek - the less said the better

Beniusis - same as above

Makela - what a waste of money

Beslija - same as above

M'Bohli - bit harsh. Did he even play?

Pinilla - can't argue for what was expected of him he has to be here

Screpis - ridiculous. He looked like being a good signing then we released him

Witteween - no need for this. We've just signed him and he's doing his best

Bouzid - no chance. We've only just signed him and he's still finding his feet

Tullberg - he only played a few games, certainly didn't look bad enough to merit a place on your list though

Koslovski

Malofeev

Pedro Lopez

Ivanauskas

Cervenkov

Frail

Rix

Duffy

Roman Romanov

Korobochka

that's my take on the list

Charlie-Brown
Out of the 3 liths that came over he was the one Robbo wanted to keep,but hey ho someone got their own way.

It was Burley that sent Kizys away.

Out of the 3 liths that came over he was the one Robbo wanted to keep,but hey ho someone got their own way.

Who were the 1st three. It Was Kizys, Miko and A.N.Other was it not?

Archived