Flying to Malaga

Jambonairn

Alright folks,

I'm away to Malaga in July with my good lady for a family holiday with Sister, brother in law, mum, dad and nephew (his first holiday). My Dad has arranged a villa etc and all me and the missus need to do is organise our own flights!

I live in Aberdeen so hoped to fly from here however all flights seem to go through London, even from Glasgow and Edinburgh flights seem to go through London making the journey time like 10 hours (with a 4 hour wait in london obviously) there also coming in at around ?300. This seems extortionate to me, also whats the deal with the journey having to go through London?

The way were going to have to do it now is fly to London, stay overnight then fly out early morning and do the same on the return journey (although not dead against a couple extra nights either end in London if it comes down to that). However surely there must be a simpler way to do this?

Does anyone know of or have experience of direct flights from Scotland to Malaga at a decent price, were travelling in July for a week, possibly 10 days?

Thanks in advance

JN

Alright folks,

I'm away to Malaga in July with my good lady for a family holiday with Sister, brother in law, mum, dad and nephew (his first holiday). My Dad has arranged a villa etc and all me and the missus need to do is organise our own flights!

I live in Aberdeen so hoped to fly from here however all flights seem to go through London, even from Glasgow and Edinburgh flights seem to go through London making the journey time like 10 hours (with a 4 hour wait in london obviously) there also coming in at around ?300. This seems extortionate to me, also whats the deal with the journey having to go through London?

The way were going to have to do it now is fly to London, stay overnight then fly out early morning and do the same on the return journey (although not dead against a couple extra nights either end in London if it comes down to that). However surely there must be a simpler way to do this?

Does anyone know of or have experience of direct flights from Scotland to Malaga at a decent price, were travelling in July for a week, possibly 10 days?

Thanks in advance

JN

Wrong post !

Alright folks,

Thanks in advance

JN

You have no chance of cheap flights in July - all Scottish schools are on holiday.

Have you looked at Thompson , flying from Newcastle. Bit of a drive but flights for under ?150 quid available. English schools don't break up until end July so better deals available down south.

You have no chance of cheap flights in July - all Scottish schools are on holiday.

Have you looked at Thompson , flying from Newcastle. Bit of a drive but flights for under ?150 quid available. English schools don't break up until end July so better deals available down south.

I realise the chances are limited for cheap flights, my lady is a primary teacher so have always had the problem of inflated prices over school holidays, cant be avoided I'm afraid. I'm still astounded the flights from Scotland are coming in at around ?300!

Cheers for the suggestion (Newcastle), but flying from Newcastle isn't an option as it would involve a bloody 4 - 5 hour drive both legs. For petrol and effort i'd be cheaper with the hotel in London option.

What is the date you are leaving on? And Coming back?

We have our villa from 5th July until 12th July. So that week would be a minimum, we may look to stay on a bit longer cloder to the time but at the moment the week is a priority for sourcing flights.

As I said before, we may have to fly to London on Friday 4th and stay over night for early flight on 5th as we want to try and get the most out of our first day there and not waste a day travelling and getting in at night time.

blondejamtart

Have you tried FlyGlobespan - we've used them in the past successfully and they do direct flights to Malaga from a few of the Scottish airports?. However, as others have already pointed out, July is a nightmare, price-wise.

I realise the chances are limited for cheap flights, my lady is a primary teacher so have always had the problem of inflated prices over school holidays, cant be avoided I'm afraid. I'm still astounded the flights from Scotland are coming in at around ?300!

Cheers for the suggestion (Newcastle), but flying from Newcastle isn't an option as it would involve a bloody 4 - 5 hour drive both legs. For petrol and effort i'd be cheaper with the hotel in London option.

Cheaper option is to cut short the hols and fly mid week. That will make a big difference if you fly, say , Easyjet.

Flyglobespan from the Sunday 13th are ?134

Same for coming back the Saturday but if you stayed on for a few more days there are flights coming back for ?104.

http://www.flyglobespan.com/checkavail2.asp?outdepair=GLA&outarrair=AGP&DepDate=05/07/2008&retdepair=AGP&retarrair=GLA&ReturnMonth=12/07/2008&AdultPax=1&ChildPax=0&InfantPax=0&Date2=16+October+2006&Time2=10%3A59%3A39&Reg=

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/planning/index.asp

Glasgow - Malaga daily throughout summer months.

Good Man, I had spotted that however had hoped for something from Aberdeen or at the least from Glasgow for cheaper. There coming in at ?250 return for dates were needing. Could be worse I guess seeing as accomodation is paid for.

All in all I guess ?250 for a week abroad isn't too bad!!!

Flyglobespan from the Sunday 13th are ?134

Same for coming back the Saturday but if you stayed on for a few more days there are flights coming back for ?104.

http://www.flyglobespan.com/checkavail2.asp?outdepair=GLA&outarrair=AGP&DepDate=05/07/2008&retdepair=AGP&retarrair=GLA&ReturnMonth=12/07/2008&AdultPax=1&ChildPax=0&InfantPax=0&Date2=16+October+2006&Time2=10%3A59%3A39&Reg=

Good Man!

I think were going to maybe go with Aberdeen - Luton friday 4th. Gatwick - Sat 5th (0800) Malaga.

Malaga - Gatwick Sunday 12th. Luton - Aberdeen 12th. All comes in at ?220ish excluding hotel on Friday night.

At least doing it that way, we get to Malaga at decent time on first day (before lunch), we also get a nice night in hotel in London before early morning flight. Also doing it this way takes out having to drive 3 hours from Aberdeen to Glasgow.

Good Man!

I think were going to maybe go with Aberdeen - Luton friday 4th. Gatwick - Sat 5th (0800) Malaga.

Malaga - Gatwick Sunday 12th. Luton - Aberdeen 12th. All comes in at ?220ish excluding hotel on Friday night.

At least doing it that way, we get to Malaga at decent time on first day (before lunch), we also get a nice night in hotel in London before early morning flight. Also doing it this way takes out having to drive 3 hours from Aberdeen to Glasgow.

On your return trip you can take a First Capital Connect train from Gatwick Airport to Luton Airport Parkway. Leave plenty of time for the connection.

As regards your hotel stopover in London, the Gatwick Express leaves from Victoria - but you can also take a First Capital Connect service from a variety of stations, e.g. St Pancras International, Farringdon, Blackfriars and London Bridge. Check your hotel fro proximity to one of those stations and again give yourself plenty of time for an early morning flight. You are probably looking at a 6am checkin so I'd be looking to take a train down between 0500 and 0530.

Taxi from Central London to Gatwick, (pre-bookeD) you're looking at 70 quid.

On your return trip you can take a First Capital Connect train from Gatwick Airport to Luton Airport Parkway. Leave plenty of time for the connection.

As regards your hotel stopover in London, the Gatwick Express leaves from Victoria - but you can also take a First Capital Connect service from a variety of stations, e.g. St Pancras International, Farringdon, Blackfriars and London Bridge. Check your hotel fro proximity to one of those stations and again give yourself plenty of time for an early morning flight. You are probably looking at a 6am checkin so I'd be looking to take a train down between 0500 and 0530.

Taxi from Central London to Gatwick, (pre-bookeD) you're looking at 70 quid.

Whats the best way to get from Luton to Gatwick then? First Capital connect? Is it a fair distance?

We'd be looking at staying at the airport hotels at Gatwick with an early flight.

Whats the best way to get from Luton to Gatwick then? First Capital connect? Is it a fair distance?

We'd be looking at staying at the airport hotels at Gatwick with an early flight.

Yes. First Capital Connect trains (formerly Thameslink) have a direct link between Gatwick Airport and Luton Airport Parkway (service is between Bedford in the north, and Brighton in the south). By far and away the best way between the 2 airports. Check the times of the trains online, but it's fairly regular if I remember correctly.

jambonairn

when traveling to malaga we use jet2.com from newcastle. flying on the 3rd, returning 12th comes in at just over ?150.

i know you dont fancy the drive to newcastle, maybe the train can take the strain :rolleyes:, and newcastles train station is linked to the airport via the metro.

jambonairn

when traveling to malaga we use jet2.com from newcastle. flying on the 3rd, returning 12th comes in at just over ?150.

i know you dont fancy the drive to newcastle, maybe the train can take the strain :rolleyes:, and newcastles train station is linked to the airport via the metro.

Cheers John,

We cannot fly out until the 4th or 5th as my fiance is a primary teacher and her holidays dont start yuntil the 4th at 3pm. i checked out the site you recomeended, you can do it for ?180 however again with extra train tickets etc I think were still going to go with Flying to London then flying out from London on the morning of the 5th.

Cheers All!

Cheers John,

We cannot fly out until the 4th or 5th as my fiance is a primary teacher and her holidays dont start yuntil the 4th at 3pm. i checked out the site you recomeended, you can do it for ?180 however again with extra train tickets etc I think were still going to go with Flying to London then flying out from London on the morning of the 5th.

Cheers All!

We go over to Malaga a couple of times a year as Tom's parents live there. We have travelled via the Luton route i.e. hotal over night etc. We were in the hotel for 5 hours and paid full price, we were ok flying out but on the way back we had 2 hours between flights at Luton, we were delayed by an hour or so at Malaga and when we flew back to Luton our connecting flight was closed. We had to then stump up another ?200 to get on a later flight.

Guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you have plenty of time between your connecting flights as it can be more expensive in the long run and a lot of time hanging about in airports!!

Guest GhostHunter

Always used Globespan - we go every year to Feungirola - but after last year, we'll never use them again.

They have (had) a shortage of planes, so we were forced to wait at Glasgow for 8 hours going out....

Going to try Easyjet this year from Glasgow...

Archived