UseNeXT - Newsgroup

vegas-voss

Does anyone use this program is it better than torrent sites.

Is it easy to use/safe to download ?

Heard alot about newsgroups recently but still do not really no what they are all about especially safety wise.Help would be great please.

Newsgroups rock....

Thundernews/Giganews is what I use, on an encrypted connection....

Dexter, is News Rover the best client to use? I've never got around using newsgroups before, but what I've found out so far, I'm impressed.

Guest GhostHunter
Dexter, is News Rover the best client to use? I've never got around using newsgroups before, but what I've found out so far, I'm impressed.

Newsleecher - the best that I've found :)

Usenet (newsgroups) is a network of anonymous servers that hold info and data.

To access them you need an account with a provider and software.

Personally I use newsbin pro Newsbin software and EASYNEWS or GIGANEWS as a provider.

(Giganews is best and has a trial 10gb package)

Your ISP will probably also have news servers and although they wont hold as much as the other paid newsserver providers they are free to you. ISP Servers

Here is a beginners guide to the whole thing GUIDE

Does anyone use this program is it better than torrent sites.

Is it easy to use/safe to download ?

Heard alot about newsgroups recently but still do not really no what they are all about especially safety wise.Help would be great please.

Completely safe mate i would highly recommend you give it a try. Once you get the hang of it you won't look back. It does take a bit of getting used to but well worth the effort.

Giganews is the best provider by far IMO, however you do pay a little more for the service but it is well worth it. There is a referral program where you can earn me $15 for referring you. :P

Does it cost to sign up for it?

You pay a monthly fee depending on the service you want. The higher the usage the more it costs. I personally use a unlimited service that costs me $25 a month. It really depends on how much you want to download you can pay as little as $5. ;)

Guest GhostHunter

Make sure (if you can afford it), you go for the encrypted servers with your newsgroup provider...

Recently many ISP's have been throttling download traffic at peak times, but currently, and I speak from experience with BT, their shaping systems seem unable to discern that encrypted packets are downloads :)

I think - hey, it works, who's complaining

Make sure (if you can afford it), you go for the encrypted servers with your newsgroup provider...

Recently many ISP's have been throttling download traffic at peak times, but currently, and I speak from experience with BT, their shaping systems seem unable to discern that encrypted packets are downloads :)

I think - hey, it works, who's complaining

Not sure who else officially shapes during peak times other than virgin ? Either way it does not effect me. :)

Guest GhostHunter
Not sure who else officially shapes during peak times other than virgin ? Either way it does not effect me. :)

BT, Pipex, Orange, Tiscali etc etc

:D

All unofficially of course, and you wont catch them admitting it either.

Sky seem cool - my BB is due up in March, so am off to ask for my MAC code to switch to Sky 16Meg

:)

BT, Pipex, Orange, Tiscali etc etc

:D

All unofficially of course, and you wont catch them admitting it either.

Sky seem cool - my BB is due up in March, so am off to ask for my MAC code to switch to Sky 16Meg

:)

Bethere is the place to be mate i have been with them since Virgin started their peak hours nonsense and have had 0 down time and pull a comfortable 16meg at all times. No shaping, caps or any other nonsense. Also O2 which uses Bethere's network has some great prices for mobile phone customers.

Guest GhostHunter
Bethere is the place to be mate i have been with them since Virgin started their peak hours nonsense and have had 0 down time and pull a comfortable 16meg at all times. No shaping, caps or any other nonsense. Also O2 which uses Bethere's network has some great prices for mobile phone customers.

I wish...

I live in Stirling - Sky have only just got their LLU into my exchange...

Bethere looks good but add an extra ?11 for a BT landline!

Virgin is really pi**ing me off just like Telewest did before but it still doesnt merit paying out for a landline yet IMO.

I pay ?22/month for 20MB when its capped at peak times it drops to 5MB usually till about 9.30 -10 pm.

I need Virgin for TV aswell and cant find an alternative to it all thats cheaper or even close.

Although Virgin are getting extremely annoying , BT are the main culprits in all this :mad:

Virgin is really pi**ing me off just like Telewest did before but it still doesnt merit paying out for a landline yet IMO.

I pay ?22/month for 20MB when its capped at peak times it drops to 5MB usually till about 9.30 -10 pm.

I need Virgin for TV aswell and cant find an alternative to it all thats cheaper or even close.

Although Virgin are getting extremely annoying , BT are the main culprits in all this :mad:

I understand what you are saying mate however i prefer to get the best available. IMO that means BT for my phoneline, Sky for my TV and now Bethere for my Internet. It used to be Telewest for my internet but they have been shocking since virgin took over. Now i know all of this costs more than using 1 company for all the services however i think it is worth it.

I understand what you are saying mate however i prefer to get the best available. IMO that means BT for my phoneline, Sky for my TV and now Bethere for my Internet. It used to be Telewest for my internet but they have been shocking since virgin took over. Now i know all of this costs more than using 1 company for all the services however i think it is worth it.

I dont blame you :)

However i have just over 2 grand in DD's coming out my account each month and cannot add to it:sad:

If I could I would probably get what you have ;)

the windae cleaner

Easynews is the doggys natchos .. ive been using it for about 5 years ........

$10 a month (?5) for 20 gig and unlimited bandwidth

Easynews is the doggys natchos .. ive been using it for about 5 years ........

$10 a month (?5) for 20 gig and unlimited bandwidth

Had EAsynews for years also but Giganews beats them on retention by a mile ;)

$12.5 /month 25 GB 200 days binary retention

best deal is prob Giganews Diamond $19/month unlimited with SSL and 20 connections :)

the windae cleaner
Had EAsynews for years also but Giganews beats them on retention by a mile ;)

never tried it ......

how much ?

how many gigs ?

does unused rollover ?

and most of all does it have an easy search like easynews Global search ??

never tried it ......

how much ?

how many gigs ?

does unused rollover ?

and most of all does it have an easy search like easynews Global search ??

$12.5 /month

25GB

No rollover :(

Dunno about the search thing I never used it

The main difference is the retention and the speed, i found with easynews my speed was slow quite often even using the routing page for best connection.

Giganews has massive retention and i have never had slow speeds, they have servers in Europe ;)

BTW I have over 200GB of rollover in my Easynews account, if there is a way of transfering it let me know :)

the windae cleaner
$12.5 /month

25GB

No rollover :(

Dunno about the search thing I never used it

The main difference is the retention and the speed, i found with easynews my speed was slow quite often even using the routing page for best connection.

Giganews has massive retention and i have never had slow speeds, they have servers in Europe ;)

BTW I have over 200GB of rollover in my Easynews account, if there is a way of transfering it let me know :)

pm me your username and password i'll soon batter through that m8 ;)

I'm currently paying ?27/m for a 4MB service :eek::eek::eek:

I complained and they gave me the telephone number for their retention department (0800 052 9403), but this number does not exist anymore!! :mad:

Anybody know how to get gold of Virginmedia's Retention dept?

Archived