Kickback donation to McCrae's Battalion Trust

Jack Alexander

Jack Alexander

On behalf of the McCrae's Battalion Trust I would like to thank the new Kickback team and all the subscribers to the board for their kind donation to our funds. The new arrangement appears to be working well, and we've seen a rise in the number of visitors to our website. As a result, our distinguished webmaster ('Sgt Rock') will be obliged to make some adjustments at his end. He's got little doing anyway, so it'll keep him out of mischief.

We'll be trying to complete the expensive 'Phase Two' of the work in the village this year. This involves the installation of a further bronze plaque, a Princes Street-type bench and a handsome picnic table.

The last item is a gift to the village from everyone involved in the Contalmaison project. It will sit outside the new municipal function hall. I was going to call it the John Kerr Memorial Table - except that visitors would then conclude that John was one of the lads who was killed in the village in 1916. I can hear John now, cackling away in the background.

A couple of years ago he gifted a Craig Gordon jersey to Maire Bernard Senechal. It's mounted on the wall of the grandly named 'Town Hall', next to the church. We'll add a wee plaque under that, mentioning Mr Kerr. I think he would probably accept that without trying to hit me.

The continuing support of folk in the (normally fractious) Hearts family is vital to our work out there. This is a story that was lost. Absent from alll recorded history. We now have a window of opportunity to rectify that tragic omission, so that future generations visiting the Western Front will be informed and inspired by the example of Sir George and of the players and supporters who joined him in his wonderful battalion.

Thank you all again.

On behalf of the McCrae's Battalion Trust I would like to thank the new Kickback team and all the subscribers to the board for their kind donation to our funds. The new arrangement appears to be working well, and we've seen a rise in the number of visitors to our website. As a result, our distinguished webmaster ('Sgt Rock') will be obliged to make some adjustments at his end. He's got little doing anyway, so it'll keep him out of mischief.

We'll be trying to complete the expensive 'Phase Two' of the work in the village this year. This involves the installation of a further bronze plaque, a Princes Street-type bench and a handsome picnic table.

The last item is a gift to the village from everyone involved in the Contalmaison project. It will sit outside the new municipal function hall. I was going to call it the John Kerr Memorial Table - except that visitors would then conclude that John was one of the lads who was killed in the village in 1916. I can hear John now, cackling away in the background.

A couple of years ago he gifted a Craig Gordon jersey to Maire Bernard Senechal. It's mounted on the wall of the grandly named 'Town Hall', next to the church. We'll add a wee plaque under that, mentioning Mr Kerr. I think he would probably accept that without trying to hit me.

The continuing support of folk in the (normally fractious) Hearts family is vital to our work out there. This is a story that was lost. Absent from alll recorded history. We now have a window of opportunity to rectify that tragic omission, so that future generations visiting the Western Front will be informed and inspired by the example of Sir George and of the players and supporters who joined him in his wonderful battalion.

Thank you all again.

Absolutely first class Jack.

Keep up the good work, even reading your last paragraph(above) humbles me.

Harvey05

Great work Jack, and thankyou for the update, as Harvey05 says it is very humbling, I hope that more subscribers join JKB if it is going to help such a worthy cause.

Thank you all again.

Good luck with Phase 2 and a nice touch re the plaque mentioning John Kerr.

Archived