Set pieces / Michael Stewart

Ryan Gosling

I think the team is better without Stewart.

Larry, Ruben and Eggert would always be ahead of MS for a game IMO.

He offers a decent work rate, a lot of ego, much inconsistency, gives away a lot of free kicks, terrible at free kicks and corners but he still insists on taking them all and he has discipline problems. He has played very well occassionally but i think the other 3 are better players. He really has done very little since the first quarter of the season.

He offers a decent work rate, a lot of ego, much inconsistency, gives away a lot of free kicks, terrible at free kicks and corners but he still insists on taking them all and he has discipline problems. He has played very well occassionally but i think the other 3 are better players. He really has done very little since the first quarter of the season.

Spot on. Larry coming back should signal an end to MS playing in the first team beyond substitution appearances.

Spot on. Larry coming back should signal an end to MS playing in the first team beyond substitution appearances.

I think Stewart is a decent squad player to have and maybe useful to bring on when we need to shore things up or play an extra man in midfield, but he just does not offer enough to start games.

Can anyone honestly say that they can envision Hearts challenging the Old Firm with Michael Stewart as our main play maker?

brellierlegend

I have my doubts too. I think he is a decent player for the squad but I would rather see Eggert, Ruben and Kingston ahead of him. I reckon he is behind all three of them in terms of what he brings to the table.

I have my doubts too. I think he is a decent player for the squad but I would rather see Eggert, Ruben and Kingston ahead of him. I reckon he is behind all three of them in terms of what he brings to the table.

Yes I agree all three mentioned are better than MS. A squad player at best. He reckons hes better than he is. ;)

not good enough once aguiar bk,as should be him and kingston in middle

God forgot about Bruno. He is really now 5th choice for central midfield behind Bruno, Larry, Ruben and Eggert. :)

Drylaw Hearts

Stewart should have been released after the match at Tannadice in January.

Not for his reaction to the Hearts support but for the his all round performence that night.

Never have I witnessed such an indisciplined display from a professional Footballer.

It was Sunday League stuff.

I wouldn't want to know what Stewarts set pieces would be like in that wind.

I would think about a midfield of:

Laryea Kingston

Bruno Aguiar

Ruben Palazeulos

Deividas Cesnauskis/Andrew Driver

portobellojambo1

I actually think a lot of Stewart playing so patchy of late possibly has to do with the fact he is a big Hearts fan himself, possibly realises the fans may be judging him differently to those who didn't actually support Hearts prior to playing for them, and what has been happening at Tynecastle is frustrating him, and becoming reflective in his play. I think if we can get a decent manager in, start playing with a lot more authority on the park we might then see a different Michael Stewart (I am not making excuses for him by the way, just offering a possible reason).

As for him being solely responsible for free kicks, set pieces etc, I have always thought that was wrong, you should have more than one person who is capable of doing such things, to ensure you continually mix how dead balls situations are dealt with.

Stewart should have been released after the match at Tannadice in January.

Not for his reaction to the Hearts support but for the his all round performence that night.

Never have I witnessed such an indisciplined display from a professional Footballer.

It was Sunday League stuff.

Think we should release him in the summer. Not good enough. :cool:

I actually think a lot of Stewart playing so patchy of late possibly has to do with the fact he is a big Hearts fan himself, possibly realises the fans may be judging him differently to those who didn't actually support Hearts prior to playing for them, and what has been happening at Tynecastle is frustrating him, and becoming reflective in his play. I think if we can get a decent manager in, start playing with a lot more authority on the park we might then see a different Michael Stewart (I am not making excuses for him by the way, just offering a possible reason).

As for him being solely responsible for free kicks, set pieces etc, I have always thought that was wrong, you should have more than one person who is capable of doing such things, to ensure you continually mix how dead balls situations are dealt with.

Could be true.

He'd be useful if a manager could get him to play with his head rather than his heart and manage to keep his ego in check. I swear, the groan every time he steps up to hit a free kick gets louder every week.

I see Michael Stewart as a half a season player. That half season being from August to the end of December. Once the new year arrives Stewart's form invariably dips for the worse. Has been like that the past three seasons.

Only he has the answer as to why.

John

I see Michael Stewart as a half a season player. That half season being from August to the end of December. Once the new year arrives Stewart's form invariably dips for the worse. Has been like that the past three seasons.

Only he has the answer as to why.

John

Think he suffers from Rudis disease.............:P

Stewart is a good squad player and if you could inject his pasison and desire into the rest of the wage thieves we would be SPL champions!

I've not completely written off Stewart yet...

He was excellent at the start of the Season and there is no reason why he cannot reach that level again.

There are a lot of threads going about saying that Frail should be the next manager etc. However, he rates Elliot and Stewart and that tells me enough.

Reading between the lines, Stewart is one of the first names on the team sheets, where I think the majority of the fans see Stewart as fifth choice for central midfield - and I bet Screpis would be a better bet.

Look, Stewart tries hard but runnign about like a dafty, while always just being a moment away from losing trhe head does not make a good player. His technique is average, his choice of pass is poor and whoever told hime he could take set-pieces is an idiot.

For me Jonsson, Ruben, Larry and Bruno are all better players.

Stewart has been emptied out of two clubs for having an attitude problem.

He ain't gonna change and he's simply not good enough.

Stewart has been emptied out of two clubs for having an attitude problem.

He ain't gonna change and he's simply not good enough.

Sadly doubt he will. Also reckons hes better than he actually is. :rolleyes:

MacDonald Jardine

You might be right but I think if there's a difference it's because he played for Hibs rather than that he was a supporter.

I think that a good manager could get good performances out of Stewart.

He hasn't played all that many games for a player of his age - and it still shows in his positional indiscipline. More games and a proper manager would get more out of him.

He has also suffered this season from often being played further forward than he is suited to. He clearly can't play with his back to goal.

His corners/free kicks are poor though. He tries to put too much bend on the ball and starts them too high. Very mixed bag from Chesney on Saturday though. Nothing wrong with Robbie's free kick either.

Was Rueben playing in the second half on Saturday???? He was totally anonymous so lets here some criticism about him.

As for our set pieces they were still poor, even allowing for the wind.

Driver is even worse than MS at set pieces yet seems to escape criticism.

Fans of other teams seem to rate Stewart, whicxh leads me to suspect he is now the latest of a long line of whipping boys including the likes of George Fleming, Kenny Blackand Gary Locke.

It went straight out of play without touching anyone!!!

Come on, it was a decent ball into a good area at the back post. Not Neilson's fault that none of our players attacked the ball there.

Come on, it was a decent ball into a good area at the back post. Not Neilson's fault that none of our players attacked the ball there.

You really have tinted specs with Robbie - it was woeful, and it was too high for anyone to even jump for!

Ha ha ha.

Can't believe you are trying to defend it. It didn't go anywhere near anyone.

Ha ha ha.

Can't believe you are trying to defend it. It didn't go anywhere near anyone.

I think that was the fault of our attacking players. None of them went to the back post.

All of the midfielders at the moment leave a bit to be desired IMO.

Larry has a bit of the Pinilla about him, fitness-wise, and gets zero for defensive effort. Simply won't chase back. Huge talent, no doubt, but can be a bit selfish. Eggert is immature and needs an old head around him. Not in the same league as Julien defensively but will improve, has a truly great engine (reminds me of Colin Bell) and can actually pass to a colleague. Future star, but lots still to learn. Ruben is class. However, rarely creates any threat to the opposition. Hasn't got the killer pass in him, but doesn't give possession away cheaply.

Chesney has the best first touch I've seen in my 45 years supporting Hearts. But he too doesn't create as much as he should.

Miko - immense talent/potential, doesn't deliver often enough. (Perhaps I'm alone in thinking he's been much much better in the last coupla months?) Stewart headless chicken at times, but can make the killer pass. Looks worse than he is sometimes 'cos he thinks quicker than his team-mates. But PLEASE, PLEASE leave others to take free-kicks and corners. Driver. Doesn't think ahead and make runs in anticipation. Has, though, a great attitude pace and skill. Like all good wingers (Bobby Prentice, anyone?) will blow hot and cold at times. Bruno Good passer, good vision, but lacks bite and pace.

We lack someone in midfield, like Hartley and Skacel, who can make runs from deep into the penalty box/beyond the forwards and score goals and terrify the opposition.

Archived