Arsenal (NHC)

Eckauskas

Well, Gallas in particular.

For those who didn't see the game today, Gallas watched the Birmingham penalty from the opposition half, down near the corner flag, only descend into a blind rage at the dugouts when the goal was scored.

Is this a sign that the pressure is getting to Arsenal?

Bearing in mind this is still a young team, with a manager who has a poor record when it comes to tight fought title races. Does anyone think they can stay the course, fighting off the challenge of Man Utd?

Personally, I don't think they can.

As I said before, Wenger has a oor record when it comes to tightly fought title run ins. When Arsenal win the league, its usually by a country mile. Ferguson, however, is the past master at staving off challengers and sneaking in ahead of the other challengers.

I think todays scenes were a sign of Arsenal starting to crack. Obviouly, I'd love to see it happen, and it doesn't seem like they're coping very well.

A tanking at Old Trafford, shooting blanks against Milan and now letting a lead slip at Birmingham. A failure to beat Villa at the Emirates would see a significant step towards failing to de-throne United.

Things are set to get very interesting from here on in.

For those who didn't see the game today, Gallas watched the Birmingham penalty from the opposition half, down near the corner flag, only descend into a blind rage at the dugouts when the goal was scored.

Bearing in mind this is still a young team, with a manager who has a poor record when it comes to tight fought title races. Does anyone think they can stay the course, fighting off the challenge of Man Utd?

As I said before, Wenger has a oor record when it comes to tightly fought title run ins. When Arsenal win the league, its usually by a country mile. Ferguson, however, is the past master at staving off challengers and sneaking in ahead of the other challengers.

I think todays scenes were a sign of Arsenal starting to crack. Obviouly, I'd love to see it happen, and it doesn't seem like they're coping very well.

A tanking at Old Trafford, shooting blanks against Milan and now letting a lead slip at Birmingham. A failure to beat Villa at the Emirates would see a significant step towards failing to de-throne United.

Nice change of avatar for the posting .........

P.S - I am sure you will get some biters .......

Guest S.U.S.S.

Yeah no bottle, the 10 game winning run to take the title from Man Utds fingers shows he has not bottle what so ever!

My avatars been like this since mid-week.

Why change it to a completely different team in a different country on a Hearts forum?

King of the North

I agree with all of that - and the reds were on absolute fire against an admittedly **** poor newcastle.

Gallas's antics were bizarre and Alan Hansen was spot on - that is not a captain, not a leader of men.

Arsenal do not have the balls for the run in - today was a good example of that.

I think it was a mixture of the effects of stress, the shock of the Eduardo injury and just that horrible feeling of injustice that a late and dubious goal hits you with.

Must have been a pretty horrible day for the guy. He maybe could have handled it better but we're all human and his emotions got the better of him.

I would be highly surprised if they held on and won the league.

For those who just watched Match of the Day, I'm sure we can all agree that Man U were sublime today. The Gunners dont have the bottle and given the players Chelski have just got back from injury or African nations I fancy them to pip the gunners as their bottle crashes in the run in.

1. Man U

2. Chelsea

3. Arsenal

Jambof3tornado

Arsene should have dragged Gallas up by the scruff of his neck and told him to grow up. The team needed a strong captain today after the horror leg break:eek: and Gallas was found to be posted missing.

Some pee poor reffing decisions though.(good to see its not just the SFA refs that can be crap):hae36:

loveofthegame

Funny i like Man U more a lot more than Arsenal but didnt see anything majorly wrong with Gallas' actions. One of his mates had suffered what could be a career ending injury, he was probably incredibly keen to (cliche alert) 'win it for him' then a late penalty that robbed them of the important 3 points when Clichy clearly won the ball stopped them getting the 3 points.

He was emotional. Footballs an emotional game. It happens. Sounds like you are just regurgitating Hansen's comments on MOTD

Why change it to a completely different team in a different country on a Hearts forum?

Why do you care?

They didn't have a Barasa avatar, so I chose this one instead.

Yeah no bottle, the 10 game winning run to take the title from Man Utds fingers shows he has not bottle what so ever!

When? In 1998?

What about the huge gap Arsenal created in 2002/03 and bottled it?

Funny i like Man U more a lot more than Arsenal but didnt see anything majorly wrong with Gallas' actions. One of his mates had suffered what could be a career ending injury, he was probably incredibly keen to (cliche alert) 'win it for him' then a late penalty that robbed them of the important 3 points when Clichy clearly won the ball stopped them getting the 3 points.

He was emotional. Footballs an emotional game. It happens. Sounds like you are just regurgitating Hansen's comments on MOTD

Perhaps.

Although do you disagree that this could end up costing Arsenal the league? Do they have the bottle to pick themselves up from this setback and go on to win the the title?

I don't think they have it in them.

Why do you care?

So aggressive and you still didn't honestly answer the question.

I hope Arsenal bottle it!

I have money on man city in the handicap league, and Arsenal's form is the only danger of me not collecting at 15/1 :scared:

So aggressive and you still didn't honestly answer the question.

Aggressive?

Have you just got back from the pub or something? :laugh:

You asked why I had this avatar, I explained myself.

It's not rocket science.

Aggressive?

Have you just got back from the pub or something? :laugh:

You asked why I had this avatar, I explained myself.

It's not rocket science.

I ask an honest question the least I expect is an honest answer .. its not rocket science.

loveofthegame
When? In 1998?

What about the huge gap Arsenal created in 2002/03 and bottled it?

Perhaps.

Although do you disagree that this could end up costing Arsenal the league? Do they have the bottle to pick themselves up from this setback and go on to win the the title?

I don't think they have it in them.

I agree. Man U are a far better side and will win the league.

I ask an honest question the least I expect is an honest answer .. its not rocket science.

To which you got.

Why would I lie about an avatar? :laugh:

FYI, I've been a supporter of Manchester United a lot longer than I have been following Hearts.

I see the Arsenal v Man U debate has spilled over from the other thread and is getting knowhere because the two main aggressors dont have fair objectives on the argument.

Fairly pointless exersise gents....

To which you got.

Why would I lie about an avatar? :laugh:

FYI, I've been a supporter of Manchester United a lot longer than I have been following Hearts.

No I didn't ... however ......

Are you primarily a Hearts fan or a Man Utd fan?

(i.e If Hearts played Man Utd who would you support?)

I think some people have missed the point regarding Gallas. He'd just seen his friend and teammate suffer the most sickening injury imaginable, and presumably believed (as did his manager at that point), that it could only have resulted from a premeditated, psychotic challenge. Eduardo's injury plainly affected Arsenal for much of the game, understandably so in my book - and to cap everything, they conceded a dubious penalty late on, so losing two vital points.

Gallas, in other words, probably felt much as his French compatriots must've done 26 years ago after that infamous World Cup semi-final in Seville. Following Harald Schumacher's notorious antics, the French manager, Michel Hidalgo, described his side as having been eliminated "brutally... I should say, scientifically" - and given the siege mentality noticeable in all title-chasing sides nowadays (for example, Drogba apparently trying to kick the living daylights out of that idiot pitch invader at White Hart Lane last season, while being egged on by his teammates), Arsenal plainly felt they'd been victims of precisely the same thing. Until they'd had the chance to see the replays, calm down and reflect on everything, that is.

In terms of Arsenal 'choking': it really depends on whether you think they were ever good enough to win the title this season anyway. Pre-season, many pundits didn't even reckon they'd make the top four, and you had to think they were at least a couple of years away from being ready to win the league. So far, they've done astonishingly well - but for reasons of finance, their squad is nowhere near as strong as Man Utd's, and that's inevitably begun to take its toll. Arsenal choked in '03 (just as Man Utd choked in '98) because they clearly were good enough to do it, and more or less beat themselves - but this time, I don't think it's ever been theirs to win in the first place.

With the money, squad and attacking talent Man Utd have, there'd be something amiss if they don't go on to retain the title: indeed, more and more, this season is reminding me of 98/9, when United always held a slight edge over Arsenal, Chelsea finished a decent though never quite good enough 3rd, Newcastle flirted with disaster, and Spurs - by winning the League Cup - were the only side to prevent a clean sweep of silverware by Fergie's boys. United have got that treble look about them again if you ask me: Arsenal's time (when I expect them to dominate the scene both here and in Europe) is still a year or two away.

Why do you care?

No I didn't ... however ......

Are you primarily a Hearts fan or a Man Utd fan?

(i.e If Hearts played Man Utd who would you support?)

There was your answer.

As for your 2nd point, I'd be happy, whatever the result.

There was your answer.

As for your 2nd point, I'd be happy, whatever the result.

How evasive are you?

1. Do you support Hearts or Man Utd?

2. How many Hearts games do you go to in a season in comparison to Man Utd?

3. You can only support one team but follow many others .... which are you ........?

P.S - If you are going to reply please answer the numbered questions otherwise it's useless replying!

Nobody can really read anything into the Arsenal game today.

After witnessing one of the worst football injuries I have ever seen after only 3 minutes of the match, I was badly shaken and couldn't concentrate on the game.

Anyone who saw the white faces, tears in the eyes and distressed body language of the

Arsenal players when Eduardo's foot fell off could not blame them for only drawing the game.

Emotion was the ruling force today, not skill and football ability.

Arsenal will regroup after today and will push Manure all the way.

With Van Persie coming back into the team and the way they played today, they have no reason to fear for their season.

This week has been truly horrific for the Gooners but they are young enough and talented enough to get through it.

How evasive are you?

3. You can only support one team but follow many others .... which are you ........?

P.S - If you are going to reply please answer the numbered questions otherwise it's useless replying!

Christ Neobis, you're managing to be more annoying that Eck.

That's some achievement. :P

Walter Bishop

For those who didn't see the game today, Gallas watched the Birmingham penalty from the opposition half, down near the corner flag, only descend into a blind rage at the dugouts when the goal was scored.Is this a sign that the pressure is getting to Arsenal?

Typically cowardly act from a Frenchman, couldnt bear to watch the pen then took his anger out at an ad board in the family section wow what a hero. Hardly a surprise!

Liberal Hibby
Nobody can really read anything into the Arsenal game today.

After witnessing one of the worst football injuries I have ever seen after only 3 minutes of the match, I was badly shaken and couldn't concentrate on the game.

Anyone who saw the white faces, tears in the eyes and distressed body language of the

Arsenal players when Eduardo's foot fell off could not blame them for only drawing the game.

Emotion was the ruling force today, not skill and football ability.

Arsenal will regroup after today and will push Manure all the way.

With Van Persie coming back into the team and the way they played today, they have no reason to fear for their season.

This week has been truly horrific for the Gooners but they are young enough and talented enough to get through it.

Well said.

Christ Neobis, you're managing to be more annoying that Eck.

That's some achievement. :P

Now you have brought it up; I could say the same about you ........

..... your constantly trying to be funny it is so easy to spot; its becoming predicable and unfortunately ...... unfunny. :P

Dr Ian Malcolm

Gallas chucked the toys out the pram when Brum got their pen - funny how Eduardo's injury, horrible as it was, didn't stop them from turning a 1-0 defecit in to a 1-2 lead.

Eduardo got a bad one, but the guy's going to survive, Arsenal just have to get on with it - Motherwell managed it.

When its going their way Arsenal are fantastic - when its not, they tend to lose their discipline, and sometimes their dignity (e.g. when Utd ended their unbeaten run a few seasons back - the whole pizza in the tunnel thing).

..... your constantly trying to funny is so easy to spot its becoming predicable and unfortunately ...... unfunny. :P

What's with you tonight?

..... your constantly trying to be funny it is so easy to spot; its becoming predicable and unfortunately ...... unfunny. :P

You've said it before.

It's how I post as I don't tend to take this too seriously. If you don't find it funny, fair enough.

I find your posting style weird personally, but each to their own.

You've said it before.

It's how I post as I don't tend to take this too seriously. If you don't find it funny, fair enough.

I find your posting style weird personally, but each to their own.

Likewise.

Go on ... give us a gag.

Liberal Hibby
Typically cowardly act from a Frenchman, couldnt bear to watch the pen then took his anger out at an ad board in the family section wow what a hero. Hardly a surprise!

I suggest you get a life - and perhaps understand that emotions might have been running a bit high as a result of Eduardo's horrendous injury.

But given your sub-racist accusation against the French, not doubt you're not bothered about Eduardo because he is Brazilian/Croatian.

As I'm not allowed to swear about you, I won't comment on how you live your life, but I'd recommend you find some humanity PDQ - otherwise you'll end up sad, lonely and abused and you'll only have yourself to blame...

I think some people have missed the point regarding Gallas. He'd just seen his friend and teammate suffer the most sickening injury imaginable, and presumably believed (as did his manager at that point), that it could only have resulted from a premeditated, psychotic challenge. Eduardo's injury plainly affected Arsenal for much of the game, understandably so in my book - and to cap everything, they conceded a dubious penalty late on, so losing two vital points.

Gallas, in other words, probably felt much as his French compatriots must've done 26 years ago after that infamous World Cup semi-final in Seville. Following Harald Schumacher's notorious antics, the French manager, Michel Hidalgo, described his side as having been eliminated "brutally... I should say, scientifically" - and given the siege mentality noticeable in all title-chasing sides nowadays (for example, Drogba apparently trying to kick the living daylights out of that idiot pitch invader at White Hart Lane last season, while being egged on by his teammates), Arsenal plainly felt they'd been victims of precisely the same thing. Until they'd had the chance to see the replays, calm down and reflect on everything, that is.

In terms of Arsenal 'choking': it really depends on whether you think they were ever good enough to win the title this season anyway. Pre-season, many pundits didn't even reckon they'd make the top four, and you had to think they were at least a couple of years away from being ready to win the league. So far, they've done astonishingly well - but for reasons of finance, their squad is nowhere near as strong as Man Utd's, and that's inevitably begun to take its toll. Arsenal choked in '03 (just as Man Utd choked in '98) because they clearly were good enough to do it, and more or less beat themselves - but this time, I don't think it's ever been theirs to win in the first place.

With the money, squad and attacking talent Man Utd have, there'd be something amiss if they don't go on to retain the title: indeed, more and more, this season is reminding me of 98/9, when United always held a slight edge over Arsenal, Chelsea finished a decent though never quite good enough 3rd, Newcastle flirted with disaster, and Spurs - by winning the League Cup - were the only side to prevent a clean sweep of silverware by Fergie's boys. United have got that treble look about them again if you ask me: Arsenal's time (when I expect them to dominate the scene both here and in Europe) is still a year or two away.

To be fair, in my experiences watching football, I've learned never to count Arsenal out of a title race. No matter what the previous season brought them.

I don't think Arsenal are good enough to win the title for a couple of main reasons. I've already stated them, but I feel I could elaborate them a bit further.

After the Eduardo incident, and the debatable penalty award, the Arsenal players would have been looking for a leader, someone to help keep things together. Something Gallas, in my opinion, doesn't offer. Although a genuine question I have for Arsenal fans is, do you have anyone who has shown an ability to keep a cool head when things are going against them? Fabregas is undoubtedly a captain of the future, but is a little raw to be handed that responsibility, again only in my opinion.

Something that has always helped United, in my time at least, is a strong leader to help keep the team united (no pun intended) when the chips are down. Bruce, Cantona, Keane, Neville and Giggs. Players who can keep your head up, no matter how much it wants to go down. Even Ferdinand, when deputising, has shown himself to be a very adequate leader on the park.

Also, Arsenals pretty football can be very pleasing to watch, but with more and more managers telling their players to get in Arsenal's faces, will it be enough to win them the league? I'm very sceptical on the matter. United seem better equipped to deal with the midfield scrap, having to battle their way to 3 points.

A draw or a win for Arsenal at Old Trafford will convince me that they are capable of winning the Premiership this year.

How evasive are you?

1. I have a stronger tie with United, as I have supported them for as long as I can remember. However, I cannot split the two into which I have a deeper feeling for.

2. I attend as many Hearts games as I can, which is basically every home game, and until recently, pretty much every away game too. I've not been able to get down to Old Trafford recently, as I sadly cannot afford the ?100+ it would cost me on a regular basis.

3. Your question is quite irrelevant. I have an affection for both. None of which is your concern.

Walter Bishop
I suggest you get a life - and perhaps understand that emotions might have been running a bit high as a result of Eduardo's horrendous injury.

But given your sub-racist accusation against the French, not doubt you're not bothered about Eduardo because he is Brazilian/Croatian.

As I'm not allowed to swear about you, I won't comment on how you live your life, but I'd recommend you find some humanity PDQ - otherwise you'll end up sad, lonely and abused and you'll only have yourself to blame...

Are you telling me im going to turn into a Hibs supporter????:hae36:

:confused::confused:

I think Man Utd are in the better frame of mind leading into the run in which will probably count for a lot.

I hope Arsenal do however as I predicted them before the season started and it would be nice now and again.

Either or though they would both be deserved winners who play good football the majority of the time. Far rather see that than Chelsea grind out a title.

1. I have a stronger tie with United, as I have supported them for as long as I can remember. However, I cannot split the two into which I have a deeper feeling for.

2. I attend as many Hearts games as I can, which is basically every home game, and until recently, pretty much every away game too. I've not been able to get down to Old Trafford recently, as I sadly cannot afford the ?100+ it would cost me on a regular basis. i.e in the last 2 season how many Hearts games / Man Utd games have you been to?

3. Your question is quite irrelevant. I have an affection for both. None of which is your concern.

Again evasive.

Point 1: Would you accept say a person who says he supports Hearts AND Hibs equally?

Point 2: ?100 plus is a large exaggeration, Man Utd tickets are not over priced having been to a previous Man Utd v Arsenal match (to which I have neither affinity over).

Point 3: ... still waiting ....... ;)

Point 2: ?100 plus is a large exaggeration, Man Utd tickets are not over priced having been to a previous Man Utd v Arsenal match (to which I have neither affinity over).

Take into account travel and accomodation on top of ticket price though. I go to a lot of Premiership games and i'm usually lucky to bring home change from ?200 including the night out.

Take into account travel and accomodation on top of ticket price though. I go to a lot of Premiership games and i'm usually lucky to bring home change from ?200 including the night out.

Travel down on the day and travel back up on the day. No need for an overnight stay.

As he is such a passionate supporter of Man Utd (as he is Hearts) he can easily get a supporters bus down and back up for buttons.

Again evasive.

Point 1: Would you accept say a person who says he supports Hearts AND Hibs equally?

Point 3: ... still waiting ....... ;)

1. You cannot apply the same criteria to two teams, in 2 different leagues, who will unlikely play each other in a competitive fixture. Hearts or Scotland?

2. Calculating from my last trip to Old Trafford: ?21 for a ticket, ?60 for petrol, money for a programme and food. Came to roughly ?95 altogether. I can't afford that on a regular basis.

3. In terms of supporting a club, I'd say I support Hearts more, as I spend more money going to watch them, on a regular basis. However it does not detract from my support for United.

To be fair, in my experiences watching football, I've learned never to count Arsenal out of a title race. No matter what the previous season brought them.

I don't think Arsenal are good enough to win the title for a couple of main reasons. I've already stated them, but I feel I could elaborate them a bit further.

After the Eduardo incident, and the debatable penalty award, the Arsenal players would have been looking for a leader, someone to help keep things together. Something Gallas, in my opinion, doesn't offer. Although a genuine question I have for Arsenal fans is, do you have anyone who has shown an ability to keep a cool head when things are going against them? Fabregas is undoubtedly a captain of the future, but is a little raw to be handed that responsibility, again only in my opinion.

Something that has always helped United, in my time at least, is a strong leader to help keep the team united (no pun intended) when the chips are down. Bruce, Cantona, Keane, Neville and Giggs. Players who can keep your head up, no matter how much it wants to go down. Even Ferdinand, when deputising, has shown himself to be a very adequate leader on the park.

Also, Arsenals pretty football can be very pleasing to watch, but with more and more managers telling their players to get in Arsenal's faces, will it be enough to win them the league? I'm very sceptical on the matter. United seem better equipped to deal with the midfield scrap, having to battle their way to 3 points.

A draw or a win for Arsenal at Old Trafford will convince me that they are capable of winning the Premiership this year.

I agree with all of this. I've often felt over the past few years that Arsenal have chronically missed the Adams type character integral to the success of any top side: especially as Vieira used to occasionally go missing in action in crunch games. Their lack of this kind of warrior figure was a big reason why I felt, preseason, that they were a long way off seriously challenging: but so far, and greatly to their credit, they've proved me and countless others wrong. Of course, Man Utd don't have an exact replacement for Keane either: but there's a relentless hunger about them which means they're always the best bet to win the fixtures that matter.

And just as winning at OT was the acid test for Arsenal in '98, so losing there in 02/3 was crucial in enabling a supposedly inferior United to stay in the race. About the only season I can recall when United were off the pace in the crunch matches was that weird aberration of 01/2 - but invariably, they've been the team to beat, and clearly remain so. Even someone like Denis Irwin - criminally underrated in my book, and with a fantastic, humble attitude - had that kind of calming influence under fire that title-winning sides need. Arsenal have still to prove that they can match this: and for all their immense progress, I get the feeling they'll end up just short.

Incidentally, you do realise Arsenal's final game is away to Sunderland? You can read the script already, can't you...

Travel down on the day and travel back up on the day. No need for an overnight stay.

As he is such a passionate supporter of Man Utd (as he is Hearts) he can easily get a supporters bus down and back up for buttons.

I used to be a member of the local United supporters club, which has since become defunct. That has made getting tickets much more difficult.

As has becoming a student.

Paying, on average, ?24 for a ticket, plus travel to watch Hearts is more viable than ?95 every 2nd week to watch United.

1. You cannot apply the same criteria to two teams, in 2 different leagues, who will unlikely play each other in a competitive fixture. Hearts or Scotland?

2. Calculating from my last trip to Old Trafford: ?21 for a ticket, ?60 for petrol, money for a programme and food. Came to roughly ?95 altogether. I can't afford that on a regular basis.

3. In terms of supporting a club, I'd say I support Hearts more, as I spend more money going to watch them, on a regular basis. However it does not detract from my support for United.

Point 1: So in your eyes you can support two team equally ONLY IF they are in separate leagues? What happens if they met in European competition ... who would you support?

Point 2: Use (the numerous) supporters buses thus negating your petrol costs.

Point 3: As per point 1; What happens if both your teams met in European competition ... who would you support?

I used to be a member of the local United supporters club, which has since become defunct. That has made getting tickets much more difficult.

As has becoming a student.

Paying, on average, ?24 for a ticket, plus travel to watch Hearts is more viable than ?95 every 2nd week to watch United.

See above.

Point 1: So in your eyes you can support two team equally ONLY IF they are in separate leagues? What happens if they met in European competition ... who would you support?

Point 2: Use a supporters bus thus negating your petrol costs.

Point 3: As per point 1; What happens if both your teams met in European competition ... who would you support?

1. Yes, or I clearly wouldn't support both.

2. Point me in the direction of one. I know of none in the area, the closest being based in Kilmarnock.

3. As I stated before, I'd be happy whatever the result.

1. Yes, or I clearly wouldn't support both.

2. Point me in the direction of one. I know of none in the area, the closest being based in Kilmarnock.

3. As I stated before, I'd be happy whatever the result.

1. You must have a favourite! ........(now see point 3)

2. I will PM you with a contact.

3. If you really follow/support a team ....... the rest is self explanatory ....

Is neobis drunk?

How is he not getting this? He supports two teams who play in different leagues.

Personally I see no problem with this. Tomorrow I'll be ecstatic if Spurs beat Chelsea in the league cup final as I've been a Spurs fan only two years less than I've been a Hearts fan.

If the two met I'd support Hearts but it still doesn't mean I don't love Tottenham.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

To be honest, I read the first post and that was it.

My opinion is William Gallas is a bawbag. What a knob-jockey, putting his foot through a sponsors board in front of about 1 million people.

D!ck.

Archived