Neilson

Dave Ross

Got to ask - do folk who slag him attend away games? When it really matters he defends like a stallion. Excellent today, man of the match at Pittodrie. His distribution could be better but when it counts he does the business. Not had a great season but since returning from Queen of the South he's been bloody consistent. If we find a better right back fair enough but until then The Retriever will do me.

Ogi fae Gorgie

Wasn't at the game, listened to on Hearts World. Didn't do much wrong as far as I could make out. Watched Sultana highlights at the stramash with Banksie he gave someone a great shuv and put him on his ass.

Neilson played very well today, and its not been the first time this season.

Its just a shame that when people say "Neilson played very well today" it really means "He didnt do anything majorly wrong today"

Its also a shame his "Better" performances are vastly outweighed by his bad ones.

Jambof3tornado
Its just a shame that when people say "Neilson played very well today" it really means "He didnt do anything majorly wrong today"

Its also a shame his "Better" performances are vastly outweighed by his bad ones.

Its also a shame that some folk who tread these boards cant seem to give credit when its due but are quick enough to rip into players.:blah:

Guest czechmate

Well what do you expect from him? He is after all a right back. He did get up the field numerous times today and IMO was solid at the back throughout, which for a defender is fine with me.

Its also a shame that some folk who tread these boards cant seem to give credit when its due but are quick enough to rip into players.:blah:

I will give credit when it is due.....I would like nothing more than if Robbie was a consistantly good player.....but he is not.

Just like Miko people see him have a few bad games then one not so bad and seem to jump on the "(insert player name here) - proved all the boo boys wrong today" bandwagon.

It is remarkable how fickle football fans are, I am just consistant in my opinions.

Whether he played well or not today really is not up for discussion with regards to Neilson, he is not a good player and we should be looking for more from a RB than we currently get.

magalufhearts
Got to ask - do folk who slag him attend away games? When it really matters he defends like a stallion. Excellent today, man of the match at Pittodrie. His distribution could be better but when it counts he does the business. Not had a great season but since returning from Queen of the South he's been bloody consistent. If we find a better right back fair enough but until then The Retriever will do me.

I am guilty of picking up faults with the two backs ie.. Neilson and Jose, but today both were steady, Robbie is lacking pace but his timing in the tackle is good, big fault today with robbie is his timing of headers, he was woeful today at that on, on the deck he was good, as for Jose.......... He is an athlete not a footballer, surely to feck we have better coming thru, the guy is a liability but today he actually looked composed for a change. I can`t wait to see Ibby Tall again if he is still here!

Well what do you expect from him? He is after all a right back. He did get up the field numerous times today and IMO was solid at the back throughout, which for a defender is fine with me.

couldent agree more. :thumb:

Robbie's a good lad. Solid bloke. Nice to chat with, happy to buy him a pint.

Had a good game today. Credit where it's due.

givememychoice

I think opinions of robbie all depend on your view of football.

Either you think hearts should be of the standard of Ajax of the 70s employing total football, or, you realise that having a defender who can defend is a player worth having.

Robbie's bad points.

Slower than me (and im slow)

He isnt good at crossing the ball.

all too often he plays the reverse jamie mcallister ball (40 yards diagonally cross pitch to nobody)

his passes up the line have a tendancy to go over the line

Good points.

Great tackler

Positionally aware

No nonsense...will punt out for throw in when needed

guaranteed to put 100% effort in.

He is the best tackler we have in our current first team.

letsmakesomenoise

:hae36::hae36:

You have the temerity to start a thread praising Robbie Neilson!!!

I'm actually amazed at the lack of abuse you've taken so far, but then noticed you started the thread at midnight, long after most of the Robbie Haters will be in their bed or pished.

Prepare yourself for pelters when they get up! :blah:

Oh, and well said......................

portobellojambo1

I attend every match, home and away, and freely admit to being critical of him when it is deserved. He produces more poor displays than good displays, and from a consistency point of view that, in my eyes, is not good enough if you have serious aspirations to do something big at the business end of the league. Yesterday, at Motherwell, he did no more than I would expect him to do if he was a gifted player having an off day, i.e. the basics, which all professional footballers should be able to achieve every week anyway. When he performs below that level he is guff, and I find it difficult to accept guff playing in Maroon and White

Robbie's a good lad. Solid bloke. Nice to chat with, happy to buy him a pint.

Had a good game today. Credit where it's due.

My mate from Elgin, could'nt get the ticket office to post him tickets. I mentioned it to Robbie who arranged comps for the guy & his daughter,saving any hassle.

Good guy,. good defender (sometimes;) )

Its a shame certain posters have a dig at RN at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

loveofthegame

I have heard on many occasions that Robbie is an absolutely great lad, apparently a very nice guy and basically the most popular boy in the squad.

However, good guy or not his liabilities as a modern day full back far outway his credentials. He is on the whole 'consistently below average' and never inspires any confidence in me or does much to suggest that he adds anything +ve to the team.

I'll give credit where its due and sounds like he was ok yesterday but on the whole he is a poor back up squad player at best. The point of my 1st paragraph= to show im not a 'Robbie hater' with a vendetta, i just dont think the guys good enough.

I think opinions of robbie all depend on your view of football.

Either you think hearts should be of the standard of Ajax of the 70s employing total football, or, you realise that having a defender who can defend is a player worth having.

Robbie's bad points.

Slower than me (and im slow)

He isnt good at crossing the ball.

all too often he plays the reverse jamie mcallister ball (40 yards diagonally cross pitch to nobody)

his passes up the line have a tendancy to go over the line

Good points.

Great tackler

Positionally aware

No nonsense...will punt out for throw in when needed

guaranteed to put 100% effort in.

He is the best tackler we have in our current first team.

Excellent summary.

One thing I've always liked about Robbie is he gives you the best he's got every time he plays. Whether that is good enough is a different arguement but for my money, there are more talented players at the club who unfortunately don't give of their best every week.

Yet another Robbie debate and STILL none of the Robbie bashers can NAME a realistic replacement? One we can afford and would play for Hearts. Maybury MIGHT have fallen into that category but since he signed for Aberdeen they've lost about a zillion goals in 4 or 5 games!!!

I have no argument when posters say 90% of Robbie's crosses end up in row Z and his distribution is poor but in his favour Robbie defends solidly 90% of the time. Also, as someone says he is pretty cute when it comes to blocking runs in the box etc.

Maybe if our right "wingers" would go past the defender to the by-line once in a while Robbie might not have to put in so many crosses???

Excellent summary.

One thing I've always liked about Robbie is he gives you the best he's got every time he plays. Whether that is good enough is a different arguement but for my money, there are more talented players at the club who unfortunately don't give of their best every week.

Agree 100% - Robbies maybe not the best but always gives his all and never hides and that said he's probably the only one in the squad (maybe Banksie apart) who can say the same

Robbie Neilson is a poor footballer.

Full Stop.

Far better judges than you........

Craig Levien

Walter Smith

George Burley

Steven Frail

....all seem to think he's alright.

Full Stop.

Drylaw Hearts
Far better judges than you........

Craig Levien

Walter Smith

George Burley

Steven Frail

....all seem to think he's alright.

Full Stop.

Ahem......

Craig Levein had no option but to play Neilson.

If Mahe had not got injured Robbie would not have got anywhere near the team.

When CL left for LC. He took Maybury, Hammil, De Vries and Kisnorbo.

He left behind Neilson.

Walter Smith gave Neilson a cap because he was struggling for players to play against the Ukraine.

He hasn't had a sniff of one since.

George Burley trialed several RB's and wanted to sign a Polish lad.

VR signed Tall instead.

Steven Frail has only recently had any real input into the team.

And coincidently a RB from the Reserves has been a constant on the bench, when he previously wasn't quoted.

Rix, Valdas, Malofeev and Romanov/Korobochka/Cherenkov all played RN because there was no other RB available.

Barasa, Tall, Kanchelskis and Karapidis have all had a stint there but 3 of them are CH's and Barasa has retired through injury.

Any NEW Manager who has full control of signings etc will sign a RB and Robbie's days will be numbered.

Ahem......

He left behind Neilson.

Walter Smith gave Neilson a cap because he was struggling for players to play against the Ukraine.

VR signed Tall instead.

And coincidently a RB from the Reserves has been a constant on the bench, when he previously wasn't quoted.

Rix, Valdas, Malofeev and Romanov/Korobochka/Cherenkov all played RN because there was no other RB available.

Barasa, Tall, Kanchelskis and Karapidis have all had a stint there but 3 of them are CH's and Barasa has retired through injury.

Any NEW Manager who has full control of signings etc will sign a RB and Robbie's days will be numbered.

Common sense.

Robbie Neilson plays honking 99% of the time, the C*lt!c game was a similarly poor performance yet some on here will tell us he was good and ONLY let McGeady set up the two goals.

I was not at the game yesterday and cannot comment on his performance. What I can add is if he has a day where he does not make a mistake that results in a goal then he has exceeded his general standard.

Ahem......

Ironically, he put in the best cross of ANY Scotland player in the last campaign. Unfortunately Kenny Miller forgot to head it!

VR signed Tall instead.

George Burley decided he didn't NEED a RB (or that he wouldn't improve that position). That's why he didn't go through with the lad (I presume it's the guy who played against Middlesbrough?)

NAME me your replacement?

It is obvious that managers have tried to bring in a better right back. We were spoiled with Takis on the left and it left us wanting a similar standard on the right.

We've had loads of right backs come in and the only one who came close to taking Robbie's place was Barasa.

Robbie is in the team on merit.

Drylaw Hearts
NAME me your replacement?

Pascal Mendy.

:)

Seriously though -

Micheal Hart and Alan Maybury both made moves during the Transfer Window and both are better than Neilson.

There will dozens of players from Premiership Reserve Teams or even Championship Reserve Teams that will be better than Neilson.

I don't have names as I don't watch any of these games but there will be players there.

He may be the best WE'VE got but that certainly doesn't make him a decent player.

Not by a long shot.

P.S. GB didn't sign Schemmel because he thought he could get better.

Not because he thought Neilson was a good player.

Let's just see if GB calls RB up for the NT.

Hearts Heritage

Good points.

Positionally aware

We would still be in the Cup if it wasn't for his 3 mistakes leading up to Motherwell's first goal at Tynie.

Drylaw Hearts
It is obvious that managers have tried to bring in a better right back. We were spoiled with Takis on the left and it left us wanting a similar standard on the right.

We've had loads of right backs come in and the only one who came close to taking Robbie's place was Barasa.

Robbie is in the team on merit.

Robbie is in the team because it's the ONLY position at the Club where there is not another experienced player to challenge him.

We would have to go to the Youth/Reserve Team.

loveofthegame

People who rate Neilson as a footballer either dont watch Hearts very often or dont know an awful lot about a football player.

Hes clearly not very good. His mistakes have cost us so many goals this season its frightening, and his lack of anything meaningful when attacking surely means hes not fit for purpose. I full back who costs us goals and doesnt set up any for us.... hmmmm

Its a shame certain posters have a dig at RN at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

What you mean when people constantly start threads about him.

Makes sense does it not, to comment on a topic which I, like many others, have strong views on.

Ahem......

He left behind Neilson.

VR signed Tall instead.

Did you once have a bird that Robbie fired into ? Maybe not.

portobellojambo1
Did you once have a bird that Robbie fired into ? Maybe not.

This seems to be becoming a more common approach on JKB. If people disagree with comments people make rather than formulating a sensible reply they produce replies like this.

I would like to hope people who are commenting on RN's performances for Hearts are doing so for footballing reasons. Like many I find him a perfectly pleasant guy to speak to, like most Hearts players I have come into contact with, but on the playing field sentiment of any sort should not come into it.

You call it how you see it.

This seems to be becoming a more common approach on JKB. If people disagree with comments people make rather than formulating a sensible reply they produce replies like this.

I would like to hope people who are commenting on RN's performances for Hearts are doing so for footballing reasons. Like many I find him a perfectly pleasant guy to speak to, like most Hearts players I have come into contact with, but on the playing field sentiment of any sort should not come into it.

You call it how you see it.

Well thats just what im doing. The boy obviously has issues with Robbie, that go beyond the boundaries that western society sets.

2 years ago it looked like Robbie had had his time and was the weakest link in the team. Now he doesn?t to be honest. He is still distinctly average but he is solid as a defender and good in the air considering he?s not that tall. He is garbage going forward though and IF we do indeed have aspirations of competing with the OF then we need a better FB...

I think Robbie would have been ideally suited to football if he had played in a era from the past. Football has changed much in recent times, the days of a right backs job of just making the guy next to you and sending it up the park as quick as possible are gone. Modern day full backs need to be cute on the ball have vision and be able to keep the ball.

Unfortunatly, Robbie cant pass and he is not confident on the ball.

The team in possesion of the ball is the master, thats how you dictate games. Robbie is not alone on this, but he gives the ball back way to quick to the team we are playing.

Sure he is a lovely bloke, but that does not really help when he melts the ball either in to touch or to a player on the park who is not in maroon.

Drylaw Hearts
Well thats just what im doing. The boy obviously has issues with Robbie, that go beyond the boundaries that western society sets.

I have issues with most sh it players at Hearts.

I thought Robbie did well at Motherwell, especially in the conditions.

His problem is that he's just not a great footballer. Goncalves is not a great footballer either but he does have pace at least.

Drylaw Hearts
I thought Robbie did well at Motherwell, especially in the conditions.

His problem is that he's just not a great footballer. Goncalves is not a great footballer either but he does have pace at least.

I thought all the players did well at 'Well. :confused:

The conditions were so bad that everyone was on the same level.

But it is the games where the sun is shining and he lifts his head to look down the line, draws back that right leg then swings through the ball aiming a pass at Velicka only to see it drift 10 rows up into the Wheatfield Stand that really infuriate me.

Robbie would benefit from a better right midfield partner.

He has been constantly exposed for the last 3 years because of the pesh that has played in front of him.

I would like a better attack minded modern full back. But we dont have one at the club

Until we get one Robbie is number 1 RB. Around 5 others have been tried over the last 3 years and Robbie is least pish out of them all.

If we have a problem at right back it is because our player selection process has been bad.

A guy that genuinely tries his best game in game out, generally defends well and does his basic job shouldnt get the abuse he does IMO

We all know there are very many right backs out there that could do a better job. Its not Robbies fault we havent signed them!

From a Donkey to a Stallion - sure you weren't watching Shrek??? ;)

Archived