'Hacker' Gary McKinnon refused appeal.

Nelly Terraces

Sheriff Fatman
What I don't get is why the Americans aren't offering him a job. If he can hack through all that security, it would be better to have him trying to create it in the first place.

Two major reasons to prosecute rather han recruit.

1: It acts as a deterent to others that might think about doing the same.

2: Would you offer a job to someone who used their own email address to carry out an action that they knew was illegal? The guy might be technically competant, but he is very sloppy and that is not what you want in a security consultant.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Two major reasons to prosecute rather han recruit.

1: It acts as a deterent to others that might think about doing the same.

2: Would you offer a job to someone who used their own email address to carry out an action that they knew was illegal? The guy might be technically competant, but he is very sloppy and that is not what you want in a security consultant.

True.

I'm still impressed with his hacking abilities though.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
He broke the law but if he's that good he should be emloyed by the US or UK to hack into systems for them.

Many people with Aspergers were employed at Bletchly Park on decoding the Nazi enigma machines during WW11.

Aspergers wasnt discovered till 1944 in children and not properly standardised until 1994

However, as he admitted that he is guilty, so there is no case to answer. His Aspergers is not a defence, it is only a mitigating factor. His family seem to be making his condition the be all and the end all of the case, when it is just a factor that should be taken into account when it comes to sentencing.

I'm sure this is what you meant.

I don't know why anybody is getting upset about this. It is not as if he is innocent.

The atitude that goes along the lines of......Set the bank robbers free because they are just showing how easy it is to rob banks. Maybe they could get a job with the bank they robbed.......is a bit weird.

True.

I'm still impressed with his hacking abilities though.

I'm not, this guy did nothing that complicated. If it wasnt some UFO seeking bedroom nerd, but someone with serious malicious intent. The secrets of America would be out, and any number of military defences could have been compromised. When I refrenced Command and Conquer earlyer I was joking, but what this guy did could have potentially shut down their entire defence system leaving them open to attack.

However, this guy claims to have seen US scientists working on a reverse engineered alien craft and anti-gravity technology and did not think to hit print screen...

Seems more of a mentally impaired bull in a china shop than a serious attempt to attack the United States.

I'm sure this is what you meant.

I don't know why anybody is getting upset about this. It is not as if he is innocent.

The atitude that goes along the lines of......Set the bank robbers free because they are just showing how easy it is to rob banks. Maybe they could get a job with the bank they robbed.......is a bit weird.

Thats not the point, I agree. He admited he is guilty. It does not justify our own legal system and government screwing him over to keep the delusion that the United States give a toss about this little island.

And as for the robbers showing how easy it is to rob banks. Criminals are taken on to test security systems, from Bank fraud to testing the locks on cars with a crowbar. NSA uses a large number of hackers, whats more helpful than using the people your trying to prevent breaking in to test your defences.

This man sadly, is not a skilled hacker. Hes a bedroom computer geek with a thing for UFOs.

I'm not, this guy did nothing that complicated. If it wasnt some UFO seeking bedroom nerd, but someone with serious malicious intent.

This man sadly, is not a skilled hacker. Hes a bedroom computer geek with a thing for UFOs.

Do you not think this is just his defence line because he got caught.

When do you ever tell the truth when you get caught.

I think its a disgrace that a British citizen isn't being protected by country, really, really disgusts me to the core.

The lad says he wants to pay for his crime but be tried in a British court, which I think is fair considering the crime was committed on British soil.

If this was an American citizen that hacked into British computers I can guarentee 1million % that the US would never allow one of their citizens to be extradited to a foreign country for a trial.

He actually only got caught because he left them a message saying there security system was crap, he done them a favour and instead of jailing him we should have given him a job.

Do you not think this is just his defence line because he got caught.

When do you ever tell the truth when you get caught.

I do think that he made it up yes, Im citing it as its his defence. I think he is just some fool who felt like having a laugh. But you can say the same for the US, they made up just as bad a story about computer damage to gain reason for extradition.

Im ingame atm, so excuse me if I dont respond. :2thumbsup:

Thats not the point, I agree. He admited he is guilty. It does not justify our own legal system and government screwing him over to keep the delusion that the United States give a toss about this little island.

And as for the robbers showing how easy it is to rob banks. Criminals are taken on to test security systems, from Bank fraud to testing the locks on cars with a crowbar. NSA uses a large number of hackers, whats more helpful than using the people your trying to prevent breaking in to test your defences.

The U S of A.

That is what all the mumping is really about by the looks of this thread.

It has nothing to do with what is right. People just don't like America and they are using this to air their anti-American views.

If he stays here for trial or goes over there it makes no difference to me. They can give him a cushy high paid job as a prize for breaking the law if they want. It is none of my business. Good luck to him.

Archived