BBC 2 just now

Julio

And your point is?

Correct me but is the Soldiers Song not the anthem of the Irish Republic. Sorry I thought it was the whole of Ireland that was playing including players from Ulster. Funny when ireland play away in the Six Nations only the Reconciliation song is played. :rolleyes:

King of the North
Correct me but is the Soldiers Song not the anthem of the Irish Republic. Sorry I thought it was the whole of Ireland that was playing including players from Ulster. Funny when ireland play away in the Six Nations only the Reconciliation song is played. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they'll play 'Simply the Best' at half time for the Ulster based players.

Or perhaps it is only a certain type of Scottish football fan that actually gives a monkeys.

Are you upset by a national rugby team singing their National Anthem?

Dearie me.

KOTN that is the national anthem of the Irish Republic. Get your facts right next time. The team playing is the whole of Ireland. If they choose to play the soldiers song then GSTQ should be played for the Ulster players in the team.

KOTN that is the national anthem of the Irish Republic. Get your facts right next time. The team playing is the whole of Ireland. If they choose to play the soldiers song then GSTQ should be played for the Ulster players in the team.

:th_Yawn:

Perhaps they'll play 'Simply the Best' at half time for the Ulster based players.

Or perhaps it is only a certain type of Scottish football fan that actually gives a monkeys.

Maybe if you would answer the point I made. :rolleyes: Good to see you have at least recognised their are Ulster players in the team. Why should they be subjected to the SS. :P

King of the North

Why le it bother you?

Maybe the ulster based players want a united Ireland?

Maybe, since the game is being played in Dublin they played the Irish national anthem?

Maybe, outwith the warped cesspit of Scottish footballs obsession with pseudo-religious politics, nobody actually cares?

Enjoy the game.

Why le it bother you?

Maybe the ulster based players want a united Ireland?

Maybe, since the game is being played in Dublin they played the Irish national anthem?

Maybe, outwith the warped cesspit of Scottish footballs obsession with pseudo-religious politics, nobody actually cares?

Enjoy the game.

Funny how the Ulster based players only sing the Reconcilation song and not the SS. They see the SS as devisive. ;)

Can I just say..."Who gives a flying feck"?

They are in Eire. They can sing whatever they bloody well want as it has SOD all to do with us.

Only a saddo from castle greyskull could be interested!

How dare they play God Save The Queen at the England game when Leslie Va'anakolo isn't even English. He must feel as upset as an Ulsterman.

CompleteIdiot

They sing two anthems, one after another. The other one is Ireland's Call which is an inclusive anthem about the four provinces of Ireland not ROI alone.

I don't see what the problem is really.

They sing two anthems, one after another. The other one is Ireland's Call which is an inclusive anthem about the four provinces of Ireland not ROI alone.

When the Irish rugby team plays outside of Ireland, the only anthem played is Ireland's Call.

However, at matches in Ireland, protocol requires that Amhr?n na bhFiann is played, so the two anthems are played.

I posted this before, on the old board I think. It's the rendition of the three anthems prior to the Ireland v England game at Croke Park a year ago today. Notwithstanding the slight interruptions of the commentators, it's a good record of a very special moment in Irish sport and Irish politics.

I think all three anthems sound rather well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ItPlLnnol4c&mode=related&search=

When the Irish rugby team plays outside of Ireland, the only anthem played is Ireland's Call.

However, at matches in Ireland, protocol requires that Amhr?n na bhFiann is played, so the two anthems are played.

I posted this before, on the old board I think. It's the rendition of the three anthems prior to the Ireland v England game at Croke Park a year ago today. Notwithstanding the slight interruptions of the commentators, it's a good record of a very special moment in Irish sport and Irish politics.

I think all three anthems sound rather well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ItPlLnnol4c&mode=related&search=

Well said ;)

The British Isles is a complex place when it comes to anthems, flags and how we get on with each other in general. Perhaps if we all looked forward rather than back things might be easier. :confused:

The point is ALL 32 counties are represented and as such the inclusive anthem should be the ONLY one played. :cool:

CompleteIdiot
The point is ALL 32 counties are represented and as such the inclusive anthem should be the ONLY one played. :cool:

Julio = PC Brigade. :eek:

It is, as Dave says, a complex matter. When the team plays outside Ireland, that is what is done. But when the team plays in Ireland in front of the head of state and the head of government, protocol comes into play. The same practice is followed by the other cross-Border sports teams. The associations understand the position and so do the players.

On a related matter, we whupped you guys harder than a red-headed stepchild. :hae36:

But then I suppose there were two of us and only one of you. :biggrin:

It is, as Dave says, a complex matter. When the team plays outside Ireland, that is what is done. But when the team plays in Ireland in front of the head of state and the head of government, protocol comes into play. The same practice is followed by the other cross-Border sports teams. The associations understand the position and so do the players.

On a related matter, we whupped you guys harder than a red-headed stepchild. :hae36:

But then I suppose there were two of us and only one of you. :biggrin:

Indeed very complex. ;) As for the game Scotland were a disgrace as usual. They deserve the wooden spoon. Hopefully Hadden will get the boot. :)

Archived