?2m damages for Keegan

blondejamtart

blondejamtart

Kevin Keegan has won ?2m plus damages after winning his constructive dismissal case against Newcastle.

On the BBC news ticker now...

I overheard someone saying that the outcome of this case could potentially put Newcastle in to administration... Anyone know if this is true?

2m seems an awful small amount to me for a club the size of newcastle... even given their troubles...

Seymour M Hersh
Kevin Keegan has won ?2m plus damages after winning his constructive dismissal case against Newcastle.

On the BBC news ticker now...

He was looking for ?25m which might have put the Geordies into admiistrayshun (as the say down fester road way). Glad he got something though as ashley treated him pretty shabbily.

I overheard someone saying that the outcome of this case could potentially put Newcastle in to administration... Anyone know if this is true?

2m seems an awful small amount to me for a club the size of newcastle... even given their troubles...

It's not like a libel case though where 'long term damage' to your reputation could be argued at gazillions ?

He's probably got wages for what should have been the remainder of his contract ( did he even have one ? ) and MAYBE actually left it at that rather than tarnish his rep with the toon army :stuart:

jamboinglasgow

Think Keegen was originally wanting either or ?5m or ?10m, think it was the 19 which meant that Newcastle would have severe problems trying keep going.

Good for Keegan, he is one of the game's good guys. And still the best player I have ever seen playing for Hearts (even if it was only 45 minutes).

Captain_Peacock

Radio 5 were just going over the court case.

Keegans contract stipulated that he had the last say on any player.

Wise called Keegan on transfer deadline day and said he wanted to sign Uruguayan Ignacio Gonzalez. Keegan had never heard of him and didn't fancy him. Turns out nobody from Newcastle had seen the lad play, Wise had seen 2 youtube video clips and that was enough for him.

NUFC wanted to sgin the lad to get in the good books of 2 influential football agents :stuart:

Wise went ahead and signed the player.

What baffles me is that the Newcastle fans will continue to worship him, despite the fact that he could have potentially brought their club to it's knees to satisfy his own demands.

Genghis Khan
What baffles me is that the Newcastle fans will continue to worship him, despite the fact that he could have potentially brought their club to it's knees to satisfy his own demands.

Serial "walk merchant" - he's done it at Newcastle (twice), Man City and England. That's what happens when you have too much cash and don't need a regular income.

?2 million for the biggest bottler in football management, who walks when the going get's tough, although having to work with that poisoned dwarf Denise Wise must have been a nightmare, which is why the wee sheite was put in place by Ashley in the first place, because Keegan was idolised by the fans and guess what folks, the owner didnae like it, at least this thing would never happen at Hearts. :innocent:

I understand why people call Keegan a bottler becuase he has walked twice. However in his first stint at Newcastle he was a breath of fresh air and worked miracles at them.

I doubt we will ever see the likes of it again. I think they were 4 minutes away from being relegated to the third tier of English football until a Steve Walsh o.g against Leicester saved them. The season after 10 straight wins had them on track for promotion that was finished off with a 7-1 mauling of Leicester at St James on the last day of the season.

First season in the Premiership and a 3rd place finish playing some fantastic attacking football. Maybe that was their downfall in not winning a championship when so far ahead. I doubt the folks on Tyneside would complain if those times were to come back again tho.

All hail Keegan the 'Messiah'!!!

He was looking for ?25m which might have put the Geordies into admiistrayshun (as the say down fester road way). Glad he got something though as ashley treated him pretty shabbily.

It is the club he loves. :10900:

Ashley offered him ?4million to settle out of court.

King Kev decided to go to court because he wanted the full whack, the greedy git.

Bet he wishes he'd settled now though, eh?

Ashley offered him ?4million to settle out of court.

King Kev decided to go to court because he wanted the full whack, the greedy git.

Bet he wishes he'd settled now though, eh?

And he may finish up with even less when the question of who is liable for expenses is decided.

shaun.lawson

They continue to love and respect him because he did a massive amount for their club, as a player and a manager. Then he was treated disgracefully by a bunch of shysters. Maybe it makes Newcastle fans more principled than other fans?

Toxteth O'Grady
Radio 5 were just going over the court case.

Keegans contract stipulated that he had the last say on any player.

Wise called Keegan on transfer deadline day and said he wanted to sign Uruguayan Ignacio Gonzalez. Keegan had never heard of him and didn't fancy him. Turns out nobody from Newcastle had seen the lad play, Wise had seen 2 youtube video clips and that was enough for him.

NUFC wanted to sgin the lad to get in the good books of 2 influential football agents :stuart:

Wise went ahead and signed the player.

Hmm I wonder if Csaba has a similar clause in his contract?

shaun.lawson
Serial "walk merchant" - he's done it at Newcastle (twice), Man City and England. That's what happens when you have too much cash and don't need a regular income.

It's also what happens when you have principles. He didn't walk from Newcastle second time round: it was constructive dismissal, as the court found today. He left them first time round because their priorities as a club were changing, and he was vindicated in his fears by the decline which set in after he left. He left Man City because he knew he was struggling, and had taken them as far as he could; and England because he knew all too well he was horribly out of his depth, and just couldn't cut it at that level.

I think the game could do with far, far more people of his honesty and integrity. With Keegan, what you see is always what you get.

reading some internet comments looks like the toon army have had the scales shot from there eyes

Mr Wise telephoned Mr Keegan and told

him that he had a great player for the Club to sign, namely Ignacio Gonzalez, and that

he should look him up. Mr Keegan tried to locate him on the internet but could find

no reference to him. Mr Wise told him that he had been on loan at Monaco but

having checked out the details, Mr Keegan was unimpressed and told Mr Wise that he

did not think the player was good enough. Mr Wise then told him that the player was

on ?You Tube? and that Mr Keegan could look him up there but he found that the

clips were of poor quality and provided no proper basis for signing a player to a

Premier League Club. Moreover, no one at the Club had ever seen him play.

However, notwithstanding that he made it clear not only to Mr Wise but also to

Mr Jimenez and to Mr Ashley that he very strongly objected to the signing of Mr

Gonzalez (he was to be signed on loan with an option to purchase), the Club

proceeded with the deal and the transfer was concluded the following day, on

31 August 2008. The Club did so, according to its witnesses who gave evidence

before us, because it was in the Club?s commercial interests to do so. It was what the

Club described as a ?commercial deal? by which the Club meant a deal which was in

the commercial interests of the Club. The ?commercial interests?, according to the

Club, were that the signing of the player on loan would be a ?favour? to two

influential South American agents who would look favourably on the Club in the

future. The loan deal cost the Club nearly ?1m in wages for a player who was not

expected to play for the first team but no payment was made by the Club to the agents

in respect of the deal.

Wow. What a corrupt lying **** Wise is.

Good for Keegan, he is one of the game's good guys. And still the best player I have ever seen playing for Hearts (even if it was only 45 minutes).

Amen to that. He was treated like sh*te the 2nd time around at Newcastle. Mike Ashley as a very short memory of the state his team were in back in the late 80's/early 90's before Keegan arrived.

Amen to that. He was treated like sh*te the 2nd time around at Newcastle. Mike Ashley as a very short memory of the state his team were in back in the late 80's/early 90's before Keegan arrived.

and before Ashley arrived too....

They continue to love and respect him because he did a massive amount for their club, as a player and a manager. Then he was treated disgracefully by a bunch of shysters. Maybe it makes Newcastle fans more principled than other fans?

What other fans? If their principles saw them out of business they would deserve it. Thickest fans in the world.

shaun.lawson
What other fans? If their principles saw them out of business they would deserve it. Thickest fans in the world.

On the contrary. The stance they took last season - one of disgust and fury at how Keegan had been treated, and the idiots in charge - is now totally vindicated. It's now on record that those in charge are a bunch of cheats and liars; and that keeping agents sweet was part of the club's transfer policy.

What other fans? Who knows? There's not been a similar case with Hearts in recent years; but I would hope there is a line beyond which, if an employee (and especially a club legend) was treated appallingly and chased the club through the courts, we'd support the employee, and not those in charge. Otherwise, we'd have no principles as fans at all other than "the club must always come first - and those treated appallingly are just collateral damage".

"the club must always come first - and those treated appallingly are just collateral damage".

I agree with this bit.

Mr Wise telephoned Mr Keegan and told

him that he had a great player for the Club to sign, namely Ignacio Gonzalez, and that

he should look him up. Mr Keegan tried to locate him on the internet but could find

no reference to him. Mr Wise told him that he had been on loan at Monaco but

having checked out the details, Mr Keegan was unimpressed and told Mr Wise that he

did not think the player was good enough. Mr Wise then told him that the player was

on ?You Tube? and that Mr Keegan could look him up there but he found that the

clips were of poor quality and provided no proper basis for signing a player to a

Premier League Club. Moreover, no one at the Club had ever seen him play.

However, notwithstanding that he made it clear not only to Mr Wise but also to

Mr Jimenez and to Mr Ashley that he very strongly objected to the signing of Mr

Gonzalez (he was to be signed on loan with an option to purchase), the Club

proceeded with the deal and the transfer was concluded the following day, on

31 August 2008. The Club did so, according to its witnesses who gave evidence

before us, because it was in the Club?s commercial interests to do so. It was what the

Club described as a ?commercial deal? by which the Club meant a deal which was in

the commercial interests of the Club. The ?commercial interests?, according to the

Club, were that the signing of the player on loan would be a ?favour? to two

influential South American agents who would look favourably on the Club in the

future. The loan deal cost the Club nearly ?1m in wages for a player who was not

expected to play for the first team but no payment was made by the Club to the agents

in respect of the deal.

Wow. What a corrupt lying **** Wise is.

Denise Wise is a poisonous little dwarf and that is a FACT !!!

Correct.

I used to watch Newcastle in the mid 70's and stood in crowds of around 7000 and 9000 against the likes of Norwich and QPR. Their principles were absent until Sir John Hall came along when they were falling over themselves to get into the action. They still have won nothing Keegan et al.

I often think the fans are the problem not the answer. They are a one club city who dominate (naturally) the local evening paper's sports news and the fans are able to exert pressure on the club when things seem to be going wrong and provoke knee jerk reactions.

That said the decision to appoint someone like Wise with no Geordie connection or DoF experience whatever, and lacking the manager's approval, must rank as one of the craziest decisions ever

Archived