Worlds best 3 drummers?

Professor.Arturo

joey jordison

dave grohl

and i see im the first to mention tre cool (green day). have to say he is a quality drummer quite easily up there with the best

Mel Gaynor (Simple Minds)

Stewart Copeland (The Police)

That Gorilla from the Cadburys advert!

Fantastic drummer, he was the reason I took up playing the drums over 20 years ago.

There's been a few good players mentioned already...would add in Steve White (Paul Weller) and Gregg Bisonnette (Dave Lee Roth, Joe Satriani, Santana).

There been a few shouts for Dave Grohl but how about the drummer he rates as one of the best in the world, the Foo Fighters very own Taylor Hawkins...

There was a shout earlier for Phil Collins, the drum parts he played with Genesis were amazing, listen to some of the early Genesis like Watcher of The Skies or Afterglow to hear some great playing...

Or come along to a wedding around Perth sometime this year and see me playing ;)

There been a few shouts for Dave Grohl but how about the drummer he rates as one of the best in the world, the Foo Fighters very own Taylor Hawkins...

Indeed. I saw the two of them perform a drum duet at the Corn Exchange some years back during a Foos gig - brilliant.

Also, I can't believe people are touting Ulrich as one of the best. Metallica are one of my all time favourite bands, but Lars is the Robbie Neilson of drumming.'Tallica are all about the guitar riffs.

Indeed. I saw the two of them perform a drum duet at the Corn Exchange some years back during a Foos gig - brilliant.

Also, I can't believe people are touting Ulrich as one of the best. Metallica are one of my all time favourite bands, but Lars is the Robbie Neilson of drumming.'Tallica are all about the guitar riffs.

Talking of drum duets I saw Genesis on their world tour this year and PHil Collins and Chester Thompson did a great drum solo where they started playing rhythms on a bar stool which was miked up and then they made their way to their kits and carried it on, great stuff. Apparantly they used to devise their drum duets hittings sticks on bar stool in hotels while on tour and wanted to "re-create" it live.

And I totally agree with you re: Ulrich, from the pro drummers I've spoken to in the past none of them have much time for him :o

Steve Morris (Joy Division/New Order)

Christoph Schneider (Rammstein)

Marvin Gaye (Any Motown Record you care to mention)

I P Knightley

Keith Moon wasn't at all technically a good drummer, just louder and more out there than any drummer/rock star had been before. (And I write this as one of the biggest Who fans on the board!) I read that just recently, a bloke called Scott Halpin died. Who he? He was the bloke who was in the audience at a Who gig in San Francisco when Moon was too wasted to play. Townshend asked if there were any drummers in the audience and Halpin was up like a shot. By all accounts, he filled in admirably. So - can Moon have been all that great if an audience member filled his slot at no notice?

For me:

Neil Peart deserves the mentions.

Mark Brzezicki has done a lot of good stuff

And, sadly - yes, Phil Collins knows how to bang his skins.

blondejamtart
joey jordison

dave grohl

and i see im the first to mention tre cool (green day). have to say he is a quality drummer quite easily up there with the best

Glad to see Tre getting a mention - he'd definitely be on my list, along with Dave Grohl and probably Chad Smith or Budgie - can't decide which.

Keith Moon wasn't at all technically a good drummer, just louder and more out there than any drummer/rock star had been before. (And I write this as one of the biggest Who fans on the board!) I read that just recently, a bloke called Scott Halpin died. Who he? He was the bloke who was in the audience at a Who gig in San Francisco when Moon was too wasted to play. Townshend asked if there were any drummers in the audience and Halpin was up like a shot. By all accounts, he filled in admirably. So - can Moon have been all that great if an audience member filled his slot at no notice?

For me:

Mark Brzezcki is another great player, one of the few modern drummers who has a "sound" all of their own, his 16th notes on the hi-hats and off the first tom are his trademark...

The late, great, Buddy Rich. Phenomenal.

watch?v=erE8WTngaAY&feature=related

Also, animal :P

This guy's pretty cool, too. His name's Larry Wright.

watch?v=39M_CP-JuPk&feature=related

For me:

I disagree with you about Keith Moon yes he was louder and "out there" as you call it but Pete Townsend always commented that having Keith on the drums The Who were more like a 5peice band and NOBODY could ever adequetly replace him. This guy Scott Halpin probably did do admiraly but if you ever saw the who live with Keith Moon there is no way he could ever be replaced and to say he was'nt at all technically a good drummer, well my friend i think you are talking tosh, but as i said it's all about taste

Although i'm a Beatles fan(who isn't?) I may have to shoot the first person who says Ringo.

I am not a Beatles fan, they remind me of Boyzone with a bit of talent.

:peek_by_Andrin:

Has to be:

John Bonham

Keith Moon

Dave Grohl

I would take that but would replace Keith "the loon" with Stuart Copeland. Copeland is an amazingly talented drummer.

Grohl is just awesome nuff said.

There are loads of great jazz drummers too though so I have just gone for rock honorable mentions to Matt Cameron (ex soundgarden, now pearl jam), Jimmy Chamberlain (Pumpkins) and ginger baker.

As for Lars Ulrich people are you having a laugh he is a terrible drummer. Anyone seen a year and a half? recording he comps all his takes into one master take, he can't even play what you hear on a metallica record all the way through and he comes across as a complete **** too!!

Archived