Worlds best 3 drummers?

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

So who do you reckon? IMO in no particular order......

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden

Neil Peart - Rush

Tommy Lee - Motley Crue

Being a drummer for some 40odd years (now retired) the three that had a huge influence on me are,

The Mighty Jon Bonham

The original loon Keith moon

The thunderous Iain Paice

Many more i could mention all a matter of taste

Being a drummer for some 40odd years (now retired) the three that had a huge influence on me are,

The Mighty Jon Bonham

The original loon Keith moon

The thunderous Iain Paice

Many more i could mention all a matter of taste

Paice had some crazy drum solos with Purple. :)

Keith Moon is the only drummer who I've ever really noticed.

Charlie is good too I suppose. A better drummer in his own right than as the drummer in the Stones by all accounts. Is Jazz his first love? Ringo's a **** and I've never really got Led Zeppelin so John Bonham's work is lost on me.

Drummers are ten a penny though, no? Just keep it tight with the bassist and stay out the way.

Unless you're the Moonster of course.

Keith Moon is the only drummer who I've ever really noticed.

Charlie is good too I suppose. A better drummer in his own right than as the drummer in the Stones by all accounts. Is Jazz his first love? Ringo's a **** and I've never really got Led Zeppelin so John Bonham's work is lost on me.

Drummers are ten a penny though, no? Just keep it tight with the bassist and stay out the way.

Unless you're the Moonster of course.

IMO Charlie Watts is one of the luckiest guys on the planet a very "ordinary drummer" yup Drummers are ten a penny but a bad one can feck a band regardless. All about opinions mate

IMO Charlie Watts is one of the luckiest guys on the planet a very "ordinary drummer" yup Drummers are ten a penny but a bad one can feck a band regardless. All about opinions mate

Indeed, no offence intended, Sticks:band2:

BoJack Horseman

Joey Jordison

Travis Barker

The Reverend

Not my type of music but got to respect their drum skills.

You cant have a thread about drummers without mentioning Lars Ulrich, from Metallica. IMO, the greatest drummer Ive ever heard. The guy is unbelievable.

And Ive seen/heard a lot of decent drummers in my time - Im marrying one!!

This guy is brilliant. He has invisible drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bGnD6nk1g

Its an invisible drum mate, hes a Tenor drummer in a pipeband, he only plays one drum. Tenor drumming is as much a visual thing as it is sound wise, employed to enhance the sound of the bass section in a pipeband - which in turn enhances the dynamics of the Pipers.

If you want to see a really good tenor drummer, watch this guy, Tyler Fry.

Hes a Canadian, learned his trade with the 78th Fraser Highlanders Pipe Band, but now plays with Shotts and Dykehead pipeband.

Its an invisible drum mate, hes a Tenor drummer in a pipeband, he only plays one drum. Tenor drumming is as much a visual thing as it is sound wise, employed to enhance the sound of the bass section in a pipeband - which in turn enhances the dynamics of the Pipers.

I was taking the micky out of the thread. People seem to think the best drummers should be in a rock band.

My dad was a fair piper as it happens, he played with the Royal Scots Greys and his Uncle was Andy Pitcaithly who was Pipe Major in the Argyles.

I only got as far as the Chanter. ;)

I was taking the micky out of the thread. People seem to think the best drummers should be in a rock band.

My dad was a fair piper as it happens, he played with the Royal Scots Greys and his Uncle was Andy Pitcaithly who was Pipe Major in the Argyles.

I agree pipe band drummining is extreamly difficult, very diciplined that's why i never could get to grips with it. Some people think that if a drummer can do a good solo thats it, the drummer is the ahem " heart & soul" of a band regardless of what type of music it is just so happens that rock drummers tend to be more flamboyent than others.

It was an old guy from the Argylls who was my first tuter - many many moons ago! Cant remember his name though....:sad:

You cant have a thread about drummers without mentioning Lars Ulrich, from Metallica. IMO, the greatest drummer Ive ever heard. The guy is unbelievable.

And Ive seen/heard a lot of decent drummers in my time - Im marrying one!!

sorry i can't tell if the lars bit is sarcastic or not? he's a terrible drummer.

danny carey is a good call.

Br?nn Dailor of Mastodon

Matt Cameron - soundgarden/pearl jam

On the basis that rock drummer magazine decided that it was unfair on all other rock drummers that Neil Peart was in their poll every year so they gave him the first (and I think...corrct me if wrong) only lifetime achievement award from the magazine to give others a chance to win the award.

Also remember classic rock mag in its first year had votes on best singer/guitarist/bassist and drummer, but changed the rules for the drummers to try and help someone OTHER than Peart to win it and failed to stop it. As they said in the magazine "we tried, we failed".

However Peart would quote in rock for Keith Moon as best (and Buddy Rich in jazz) drummer. A drummer very different in style to himself.

As for Lars of Metallica, when I met the band in Glasgow a few years ago I asked James Hetfield (the singer for those who don't know) why they had never done a cover of a Rush song he replied "Its Lars, he can't do it mate. Its to ******in technical". He was not joking.

Stewart Copeland - the most technically accomplished drummer, ever

John Bonham - had his own astonishing style, so funky

Dave Grohl - not just with Nirvana and the Foos, check out his work on the Queens of the Stone Age album, Songs for The Deaf - quite possibly the best rhythm pairing ever with bassist Nick Oliveri

Archived