Queen @ Live Aid

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Aeontheblessed

On a day when some of the greatest artist on the planet all played live it was the standout live set

Don?t know about the best performance of all time but certainly the most memorable one for a lot of people

The greatest live performance of all time?

Yup.

Queen were the greatest live performers.

Their set at Live Aid was seen as the best ever, simply because it was judged against all the other acts.

The thing was - almost everyone who was anyone in the 80's was there - (including U2) so it was a pretty fair test.

The crowd went ga ga apparently. I missed it all as I was on my honeymoon. Think I caught a glimpse of Madonna when I surfaced for a drink on the Sunday.

I think it helped that Queen caught onto the idea of playing snippets of their greatest hits and managed to squeeze about 6 or 7 songs into their 20 minutes when everyone else only managed 3 of their current songs.

Suspect Device

Yup, definately the most memorable performance at Live Aid

but were they actually the best or was it because they had probably the best front man / entertainer (at the top of his game that day) in rock at the time ?

who cares, they totaly owned Live Aid :band:

along with U2, queen went down as one of the most memorable perfomances of that day for me.

i recently treated myself to the DVD of it, but i've not watched it yet.

i remember my best pal and i sitting all the way through it, and there were some great moments.

was a tremendous day, and no live "aid" type concerts have ever come anywhere near that one. it was amazing

Always thought it was hypocritical seeing them revive their career at an event for Africa when they didn't seem to care about African opinion when they played Sun city for an almighty amount of money.

I admit to being a fan of Queen's music and an admirer of the best frontman/singer in rock, but I do see the irony in their being there in the first place!

Without question it was a magnificent performance. I've watched it many times on YouTube and it does send shivers down my spine each time I watch it.

I have never seen an artist having a crowd in the palm of his hand the way that Mercury did during their Live Aid performance.

What surprised me most of all about the performance when I watched it after not having seen it for probably 20 years, was that my favourite song during the set was Radio Ga Ga (a song that is way down the list of my favourite Queen songs). The crowd reaction is quite phenomenal and Mercury is imperious.

It is a bit unfair to judge this as the best live performance ever as Live Aid was a very unique event and Queen should only be compared to the other bands who played. Without doubt they blew everyone else off the stage.

My abiding memory of Queen at Live Aid was my female cousin phoning in he middle of their set exclaiming "have you seen the size of Freddie Mercurys boaby"

No.

"Spider" at the Nite Club was the best live performance of all time.

Sniffa was on fire - easily out-strutting Freddy any day of the week.

There's no denying the talents of the Rock n Roll Gypsies. FACT.

The thing was - almost everyone who was anyone in the 80's was there - (including U2) so it was a pretty fair test.

It's all a question of perspective. I'm OK with U2, but there are bands I like a lot more. I'm OK with Bad, but there are U2 songs I play a lot more. But U2's rendition of Bad at Live Aid still gets me after all these years.

But then I never really liked Queen, so maybe that explains my view.

CompleteIdiot

Gay man. Moustache. AIDS.

He hasn't been a PR coup for the gay community.

(I'm really going to get it. Amn't I?)

Gay man. Moustache. AIDS.

He hasn't been a PR coup for the gay community.

Wanna lend of a tin hat? :scared:

I prefer...

[ATTACH]279[/ATTACH]

:eek:

Gay man. Moustache. Wearing a skirt and high heels.

He's not a PR coup for the gay community.

:biggrin:

Guest S.U.S.S.
Gay man. Moustache. Wearing a skirt and high heels.

He's not a PR coup for the gay community.

:biggrin:

Depends, but if freddie liked you, probably!:scared:

It's all a question of perspective. I'm OK with U2, but there are bands I like a lot more. I'm OK with Bad, but there are U2 songs I play a lot more. But U2's rendition of Bad at Live Aid still gets me after all these years.

thats my thoughts exactly

i'm not a huge fan of queen or U2, i mean i kinda like both to some degree, but i'm not a real follower of either band, but for me, those 2 really stood out that day

Not a huge Queen fan myself tbh and fairly certain most of the audience that day hadn't turned up because of Queen however as an exhibition in how to win over an audience thro' a repertoire of stadium belters, it's probably never been bettered..

Aeontheblessed
Always thought it was hypocritical seeing them revive their career at an event for Africa when they didn't seem to care about African opinion when they played Sun city for an almighty amount of money.

I admit to being a fan of Queen's music and an admirer of the best frontman/singer in rock, but I do see the irony in their being there in the first place!

Not sure that the situation in South Africa had that much to do with starvation.

Queen played sun city knowing that there fine for doing so would mean that they would make little or no money and also risk being ostracized

They did it because they had huge numbers of fans who they felt deserved the chance to see them live

Rapid, sorry.

Do you really think it was all for "the fans" and nothing to do with the biggest payday they could get at the time?

Any band that played or tried to play Sun city were quite correctly ostracized along with Rod Stewart and Status Quo who also played there.

Please remember they sang "is this the world we created" at Live Aid...."there is no black and no white", oh yes there was, it was South Africa. Did they make amends by making a comment about Apartheid? Nope.

They played in front of a map of Africa, yet IGNORED the feelings of many Africans by playing a series of illegal shows for vast sums of money.

They always said they do not make political statements. So why play Live Aid? Why pander to a corrupt leadership in South Africa? They were political statements whether they liked it or not.

I am sure the millions made there helps them sleep better at night.

I repeat, I love Queen's music, I even went to see them a couple of times before the events of Sun City. However their greed and supposed ignorance makes me feel less about them as individuals.

....as an exhibition in how to win over an audience thro' a repertoire of stadium belters, it's probably never been bettered..

I should have said in my post that it was a remarkable performance. And as Bev said, Queen and U2 were the standout acts that day. The other feature of the event as I recall it was that the London half of the gig was miles better than the Philadelphia show.

Jaysus, hard to believe it all happened nearly 23 years ago.

I saw Queen as the support act for Mott the Hoople at the Caley on 25/11/73. It was obvious then who were destined for massive things...

One of my mates actually went to see Mott and was none too happy when we wanted to leave 2 songs into their set. :)

Queen bettered Live Aid a year later when they played Wembley as part of their 'Live Magic' tour (lots of clips in YouTube).

For an audience/reaction/performance/setting equation then that is possibly the best live gig; stunning in fact.

Buffalo Bill

Personally I think their performance at Wembley was their greatest. Got it on DVD and never get tired of watching it.

Mercury had more stage prescence than anyone I've ever seen.

I should have said in my post that it was a remarkable performance. And as Bev said, Queen and U2 were the standout acts that day. The other feature of the event as I recall it was that the London half of the gig was miles better than the Philadelphia show.

Jaysus, hard to believe it all happened nearly 23 years ago.

Indeed; and in true JFK fashion many people will remember exactly what they was doing that day.

Recently got the DVD boxed set and you're right; the Phillie section was pish. Poorly recorded in a half-empty stadium.

On dvd, Queen are followed by Simple Minds (a band I've a lot of time for) however the Queen performance makes them sound incredibly weak, with Jim Kerr mincing about the stage in such a way as to make Freddie's earlier performance look butch.

Personally I think their performance at Wembley was their greatest. Got it on DVD and never get tired of watching it.

Mercury had more stage prescence than anyone I've ever seen.

Pavarotti had more stage presence :)

Archived