3rd September 1958.

Devries4

Hearts ventured into their first of 68 European games on Wednesday 3rd September 1958 against Standard Liege. (unfortunately we got done over 5-1with Ian Crawford scoring).

The return leg was the following Tuesday the 9th at Tynecastle where we won 2-1 with Willie Bauld scoring both.

So in September this year it will be the 50th anniversary, and coincidentally both the 3rd and the 9th are also a Wednesday and a Tuesday this year.

I dunno if Hearts are planning to acknowledge this in any way or not.

Would it be a worthwhile exercise?

Unfortunately we have a shocking European record.

And it was bad also in the 50s and 60s (not in much in the 70s), when other Scottish Clubs were doing so well in the same competitions.

slightly off topic, but there is a book out just now about the 57/58 championship winning season "Hearts Greatest ever Season" 50th Anniversary edition by Mike Buckle.

it goes through the season game by game with the line up @ the end of each chapter.

just started reading it & i like. :)

p.s. re our european record, although its pretty poor on the bald stats level, lokking behind the results @ the teams that have beaten us, most were a step above in class to us. e.g. Bayern Munich, Hamburg, Inter, Mallorca, Atletico Madrid, Bologna, AEK, Paris S-G, Stutgart, Schalke 04. all have much more european experience & better players.

the teams we should have beaten imho would have been the likes of Dukla Praha, Standard Liege, Ferencvaros, Red Star ( was a young team).

we've also played above ourselves e.g. Austria Vienna, Bourdeaux & Fc Basel & also we've never been disgraced except possibly against Bologna, PSG & Atletico away for different reasons(abysmal performance & last two outclassed).

Hearts ventured into their first of 68 European games on Wednesday 3rd September 1958 against Standard Liege. (unfortunately we got done over 5-1with Ian Crawford scoring).

The return leg was the following Tuesday the 9th at Tynecastle where we won 2-1 with Willie Bauld scoring both.

So in September this year it will be the 50th anniversary, and coincidentally both the 3rd and the 9th are also a Wednesday and a Tuesday this year.

I dunno if Hearts are planning to acknowledge this in any way or not.

Would it be a worthwhile exercise?

I was at that game, and took my girlfriend along to her first Hearts match. The crowd was unusually boisterous that night, especially when we scored. After the game I asked her, "What did you think of that?"

She gave me a long stare then said, "You're all insane."

I was at that game, and took my girlfriend along to her first Hearts match. The crowd was unusually boisterous that night, especially when we scored. After the game I asked her, "What did you think of that?"

She gave me a long stare then said, "You're all insane."

I remember the game well. They had a coloured striker called Bonga Bonga who was supposed to be their star player.

I remember the game well. They had a coloured striker called Bonga Bonga who was supposed to be their star player.

Was that what black people were called in 1958?

Archived